Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,919 members, 7,956,450 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:12 PM

Why Do We Usually Smile For Pictures? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Do We Usually Smile For Pictures? (3135 Views)

Beggar Gifts Groundnut Oil To Lady Who Usually Gives Her Token On A Daily Basis / 7 Philosophies That We Usually Gets Wrong. / A hero Police Smile For Camera Stopping A Suicide Bomber (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do We Usually Smile For Pictures? by daimsy(f): 2:50pm On Sep 09, 2015
Why do we usually smile in our pictures? We are just walking around and talking and ... suddenly when the camera comes up we all become so happy! Does it have something to do with the camera, Is it because the camera is a funny thing?
And when the camera thing finished, as if nothing has happend, we become as dull as before!

Can someone please explain why?
Re: Why Do We Usually Smile For Pictures? by ladyF(f): 2:51pm On Sep 09, 2015
Lol....think its a camera thing.
Re: Why Do We Usually Smile For Pictures? by missmary(f): 2:51pm On Sep 09, 2015
Happy moment
Re: Why Do We Usually Smile For Pictures? by Nobody: 3:00pm On Sep 09, 2015
Real men like me dont smile for pictures.

we frown

#YOLO
Re: Why Do We Usually Smile For Pictures? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Sep 09, 2015
richommie:

we frown

#YOLO
cheesy correct!!
Re: Why Do We Usually Smile For Pictures? by daimsy(f): 3:06pm On Sep 09, 2015
richommie:

we frown

#YOLO
woow! !! see frowning grin
Re: Why Do We Usually Smile For Pictures? by chigoizie7(m): 3:08pm On Sep 09, 2015
Because every other person is doing it. As for me? I don't really know
Re: Why Do We Usually Smile For Pictures? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Sep 09, 2015
prettythicksme:
cheesy correct!!
tongue
#Yolo
Re: Why Do We Usually Smile For Pictures? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Sep 09, 2015
daimsy:
woow! !! see frowning grin
grin yea dats how we roll

#YOLO
Re: Why Do We Usually Smile For Pictures? by daimsy(f): 3:15pm On Sep 09, 2015
ladyF:
Lol....think its a camera thing.
yea...i smile in almost all my photographs.
Re: Why Do We Usually Smile For Pictures? by daimsy(f): 3:16pm On Sep 09, 2015
chigoizie7:
Because every other person is doing it. As for me? I don't really know
but you can try to figure it out.
Re: Why Do We Usually Smile For Pictures? by Darkseid(m): 3:33pm On Sep 09, 2015
Its the reverse for me. I'm a very smily person but once it comes to taking photos, na highest boning. That's one of the reasons I hate photographs.
Re: Why Do We Usually Smile For Pictures? by NET1(m): 3:46pm On Sep 09, 2015
If you don't smile for the camera, what else would you smile for? Abeg, na smiling things all the way.
You-only-live-once.

.NET
Re: Why Do We Usually Smile For Pictures? by chigoizie7(m): 4:05pm On Sep 09, 2015
daimsy:
but you can try to figure it out.

Well, u can still help me figure it out.
Re: Why Do We Usually Smile For Pictures? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Sep 09, 2015
People dont like to appear sad.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Usually Smile For Pictures? by Emmalaw10(m): 4:11pm On Sep 09, 2015
Girls smile in order to catch the unsuspecting maga, while guys smile in order not to appear like suffer-head... #runsouttathread#

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Usually Smile For Pictures? by Helloflife: 5:17pm On Sep 09, 2015
Try frowning and taking a pic. Come back here and tell us HONESTLY how it looks grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Usually Smile For Pictures? by gj22(m): 5:34pm On Sep 09, 2015
You look better when you smile. Nobody wants to take an ugly picture of themselves.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Usually Smile For Pictures? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Sep 09, 2015
Now read this... If Instagram had existed during the Victorian era, selfies would probably contain a lot more prune-face than “duckface.” By the mid-19th century, camera technology was still in its infancy, and exposure took several minutes. Beginning at the first British photo studio in 1841, as academic Christina Kotchemidova discovered, photographers would request patrons to say “prunes” instead of “cheese” to make them purse their lips together. Natural-looking wide-mouthed grins would’ve been harder to capture on film since subjects would have to hold the pose perfectly still for an uncomfortable amount of time (ex. the daguerreotype, invented in 1839, revolutionized photography with its lightning-fast exposure time of…15 minutes). Moreover, smiling in photos wasn’t commonplace until Kodak democratized picture-taking in the 20th century.

People’s serious expressions in early photos was a holdover from portraiture. Nicolas Jeeves at The Public Domain Review explains how, logistically, maintaining a smile during a portrait session isn’t feasible, and especially not for creating a natural-looking painting (my cheeks hurt just thinking about it). And although the lackluster dentistry of the day might’ve been a contributing factor to folks not caring to bear a toothy grin in the early days, Jeeves suspects the unsmiling poses have more to do with how the expressions were perceived through a socioeconomic lens. “A person who wished to appear dignified and respected certainly wouldn’t have said “cheese” because grinning was considered the expression of a drunkard, pauper, or paid entertainment,” he writes.

Even Mark Twain, a fellow who made his mark with literary humor and entertainment, resisted revealing his goofier side in photographs — though ironically, Huckleberry Finn is the only character depicted with a “toothy smile” in 19th-century illustration art. He even once wrote to the Sacramento Daily Union that, “A photograph is a most important document, and there is nothing more damning to go down to posterity than a silly, foolish smile caught and fixed forever.”

[youtube=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjwVNmPaDys&w=400&h=225]

But in 1900, as the Victorian era was coming to a close, people would soon begin smiling in more pictures with the arrival of the $1 Kodak Brownie camera. Mental Floss details how Kodak’s marketing campaign and companion how-to photography books and pamphlets essentially trained the emerging American middle class to start snapping pics, and often the photographers in Kodak advertisements were depicted wearing delighted grins, which helped replace portrait photography’s stoicism with a happier-go-lucky camera culture. What remains unknown is whoever tossed out the prunes of photo yesteryear and replaced it with the enduring “say cheese,” which cemented the smile’s central role in 20th-century photography.
Re: Why Do We Usually Smile For Pictures? by AfroKnight: 2:41pm On Sep 20, 2015
daimsy:
yea...i smile in almost all my photographs.

Hello kiss
Re: Why Do We Usually Smile For Pictures? by daimsy(f): 3:26pm On Sep 20, 2015
AfroKnight:

Hello kiss
hi
Re: Why Do We Usually Smile For Pictures? by AfroKnight: 3:40pm On Sep 20, 2015
daimsy:
hi

Lovely pic. kiss Nice (shy) smile.
Re: Why Do We Usually Smile For Pictures? by daimsy(f): 7:05pm On Sep 20, 2015
AfroKnight:

Lovely pic. kiss Nice (shy) smile.
thank you.

(1) (Reply)

My Young Bro Caught This / Do Nigerians Know How To Have Fun? / Davido Didn't Skydive In His New Video(the Sound(

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.