Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,944 members, 7,817,771 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:14 PM

The Differences Between Covenant And Testament - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Differences Between Covenant And Testament (3309 Views)

Billy Graham’s Last Will And Testament Revealed / Billy Graham's Will And Testament Released To Public. Read Now! / Bishop Oyedepo- "We Have Never Made Profit From Covenant University" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Differences Between Covenant And Testament by MightySparrow: 2:16am On Sep 10, 2015
The word Testament appeared only in some books of New Testament but not once in Old Testament only covenant is mentioned.
Re: The Differences Between Covenant And Testament by Jeromejnr(m): 6:18am On Sep 10, 2015
So what's the point?
Re: The Differences Between Covenant And Testament by MuttleyLaff: 6:44am On Sep 10, 2015
MightySparrow:
The word Testament appeared only in some books of New Testament but not once in Old Testament only covenant is mentioned.

Jeromejnr:
So what's the point?
The unfolding following is poster's point

MightySparrow:
Please explain the differences between Covenant and Testament.
Primary similarity between Covenant and Testament #1, is that, they both fundamentally are agreements,
however with covenant, sometimes it can be a one sided agreement, other times its an all party involved mutual agreement

Primary difference between Covenant and Testament #1, is that, covenant takes effect immediately after an oath
which usually or at times, involves blood shedding of some sort or kind, to make it official, binding or legal
An example of a covenant without blood shedding is the Edenic one
An example of a covenant with blood shedding is the Abrahamic Covenant (i.e. blood shedding via circumcision)

Genesis 17:10-11
10This is my covenant with you and your descendants after you, the covenant you are to keep:
Every male among you shall be circumcised.
11You must cut off the flesh of your foreskin as a sign of the covenant between me and you.

Primary difference between Covenant and Testament #2, is that, reiterating, covenant takes effect immediately after an oath
and unlike a Testament, it doesnt wait for the death or doesnt need the death of any of the participants before its application

MightySparrow:
As for the thread, New Testament started from the Day Jesus had the last supper (Covenant ceremony) with His disciples
The new agreement or covenant was done at the last supper (i.e. Matthew 26:28, the Covenant ceremony),
the testament or His last will, however wouldnt take effect until after His death

Exodus 24:8
Then Moses took the blood from the basins and splattered it over the people, declaring,
"Look, this blood confirms the covenant the LORD has made with you in giving you these instructions."

Jeremiah 31:31-34
31The day is coming,” says the Lord, “when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and Judah.
32This covenant will not be like the one I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand
and brought them out of the land of Egypt.
They broke that covenant, though I loved them as a husband loves his wife,” says the Lord.

33“But this is the new covenant I will make with the people of Israel on that day,” says the Lord.
“I will put my instructions deep within them, and I will write them on their hearts.
I will be their God, and they will be my people.
34And they will not need to teach their neighbors,
nor will they need to teach their relatives, saying, ‘You should know the Lord.’
For everyone, from the least to the greatest, will know me already,” says the Lord.
“And I will forgive their wickedness, and I will never again remember their sins.”

Matthew 26:28
for this is my blood, which confirms the covenant between God and his people.
It is poured out as a sacrifice to forgive the sins of many.

MightySparrow:
His death on the cross marked the end of the OT.
Well, maybe appropriately, it marked the end of an old covenant or old agreement

MightySparrow:
We must understand that OT started with Abraham with Genesis 15 s a family and re - enacted with the nation of Israel in Exodus 24. Again on the day of Passover in Jesus time.
It is true that there are at least up to seven different covenants or agreements in the Bible,
which spanned from Adam in Eden, to Noah and in regards to the flood, to Abraham and in regards to the Promise, to the Israelites and in regards to the Promise land and to etcetera other agreements or covenants

But since no one died before the application of the so called ''OT'',
then in a manner suitable for such a case like this, ''OT'' should be called old covenant or old agreement, as opposed to an ''OT'' tag

Gombs:
Read it up bro. God bless you
There is nothing to read up on bro

What debosky, MightySparrow, I and maybe others, are trying to draw your attention to
is that its only you and at the least, KJV, that interchangeably use testament for covenant
There is a distinction to agreement (i.e. covenant) and last will (i.e. testament)
Instead of you and KJV to use covenant, you are using testament

All last wills or testaments are agreements but not all agreements or covenants are last wills or testaments
Read up more on this bro. Brush up your Bible, else you'll have a truth decay. God bless you too
Re: The Differences Between Covenant And Testament by Jeromejnr(m): 6:52am On Sep 10, 2015
@MuttleyLaff

You have answered it all. It was actually supposed to be called Old covenant and New Covenant.

Covenant is even a much more stronger term than testament.
Re: The Differences Between Covenant And Testament by orisa37: 11:36am On Sep 10, 2015
God relates to us, ie, gives His Directives in three Orders:- 1, by Instruction ie specifically educating and training us in theory and practical application of our aims. 2, by Direction ie guiding and guarding us against obstacles on our ways in life and 3, by Discernment-the conscience of God in us makes us able to distinguish between good and bad of every thing we come accross. A Covenant is the Agreement that is-a-ac sealed on Isaac by the Blood of the Lamb, plus the 10 statutes and the commandments of Christ Jesus. The Bible generally represents the fundamental objective rules and directive principles of applying and obeying God's Covenants. Discernment comes through your Conscience. Whether you wish to aim righteously or selfishly in life, is all there in your conscience. May God give you understanding Heart to know Him more.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria and Its Church Phenomenom / A Thread Strictly On Evolution And Its Many Fallacies. Seun Alone / Prophecy about who will 2019 Election in Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.