Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,654 members, 7,816,682 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:07 PM

Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. (41030 Views)

6 Reasons Why People Love Apple Products / Successful People Don't Jog And Sweat On The Streets - Buhari Tells Zuckerberg / Why People Unfriend, Block Or Unfollow You On Facebook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by mavister(m): 7:47pm On Feb 23, 2017
Antoinne:
Most Nigerians won't read a five line essay even to save their own lives.
They are so dumb and daft..that's why many die like flies. Here in the States people die more dignified deaths.
Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by Marvel1206: 7:50pm On Feb 23, 2017
sonnie10:
But why does body like oxygen and hate co
CO2 has its function in our body, but not in this manner.

Plants take in CO2 and release Oxygen.
Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by Zirah: 7:53pm On Feb 23, 2017
Exactly. Sometimes I wonder if Lala is a jambite with his level of reasoning, marking silly stuff as front page worthy.

oluseyiforjesus:
I prefer hearing ds kind of educative news dan hearing dat gifty is on a tour, or one yeye moderator won election in OAU
Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by ephi123(f): 7:55pm On Feb 23, 2017
Good post, OP. You never can tell who this info will save.
Thank you.
Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by Israeljones(m): 8:07pm On Feb 23, 2017
very very good
Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by nwaanambra1(m): 9:11pm On Feb 23, 2017
THIS FINE TOPIC SINCE 2015 AND ITS JUST HITTING FRONT PAGE TWO YEARS AFTER!

IF ITS GIFTY, TONTO AND ALL THE OTHER DUMB TOPICS THEY WOULD AV HIT FRONT PAGE 10 SECONDS AFTER CREATING IT!

THIS IS HOW GOOD TOPICS THAT ARE INFORMATIVE AND BENEFICIAL ARE RUSTING AWAY IN THE ARCHIVES WHILE STUPID TOPICS HIT FRONT PAGE ALL THE TIME!

VERY STUPID FORUM THAT IS GRADUALLY BECOMING LIKE THE STUPID BLOGS WE HAVE IN NIGERIA!

NOW MANY REASONABLE NIGERIANS ARE HEADING TO REDDIT TO ENJOY MEANINGFUL DISCUSSIONS angry

1 Like

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by ashala(m): 9:23pm On Feb 23, 2017
This takes my mind back to many years ago when I was still very young and wild. My colleague who was also my neighbour occupied one of the self contained apartments in the building. Dude would come home with a different girl after work each day until something strange started happening.

It started with a certain girl he brought home one of those nights. While they were watching TV in the night the girl started vomiting and convulsing and fainted afterwards. The guy panicked and called us. We helped in reviving the girl.

The next day in Office,we all joked with the story,concluding that the girl is an Ogbanje.

It wasn't funny again when the same thing happened to 4 different girls on different nights making us believe that his room is filled with Demons untill another colleague made a startling discovery. He noticed that this young man's Gen is close to his window and whenever it is on, the fumes comes into the room. On further questioning, my randy colleague said that he also feels kinda dizzy when he stays long in his room.

I think God averted the disaster to teach him a lesson. Imagine if any of those girls had died in his room or if he had even died.

2 Likes

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by Dareomo(m): 9:27pm On Feb 23, 2017
Great information here.
Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by ericmor: 9:53pm On Feb 23, 2017
My formal senior way back in secondary school died of it last year. Went to a party with his two friends and came back home to his house he had just build later at night and they all slept in the room with the generator on, the I better pass my nieghboure. And two of them never woke up again but one of them was able to make it. You all know what, they put the gen right there in the pallor. Then u can imagine the kind of smoke that would have covered that house

1 Like

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by realceeg(m): 10:37pm On Feb 23, 2017
Nice info bro ...so how do we help ourselves if we must have inhaled unknowingly the co
Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by naturefellow(m): 12:40am On Feb 24, 2017
NifemiOlu:

If the post isn't long, how would you know it's me? grin cheesy
It may be long but it's not unnecessarily long. That's the summary of what I have in mind.
don't mind the nitwit. The post is a lifesaver!

2 Likes

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by sonnie10: 2:05am On Feb 24, 2017
Marvel1206:

CO2 has its function in our body, but not in this manner.

Plants take in CO2 and release Oxygen.

I was concerned with co and not co2
Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by TellMeTheTruth(m): 5:51am On Feb 24, 2017
nicerod:
I take God beg u summarize am 4 me

Are you that lazy to read?

1 Like

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by afakamouth: 6:14am On Feb 24, 2017
why do people like sleeping with this gen
Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by oshorstan(f): 7:10am On Feb 24, 2017
NifemiOlu:
We have read and heard stories of people dying in their sleep from inhaling carbon monoxide. The major source of carbon monoxide in Nigeria is from generators while cars play a second role. I read a story here one day about a couple who died from inhaling CO and their son claimed his parents may have been killed and he called for investigation. Investigations showed they died from the CO gas. How does CO kill people in their sleep? Why is it that people don’t wake up as soon as they start inhaling CO?
Form my personal experience in January, I came back from work very tired (Lagos traffic: Obalende to Ajah not smiling). I fell on my bed and just slept off. In the middle of the night, I just woke up suddenly as usual (I’m not a heavy sleeper) I couldn’t breathe properly, my hands were weak. Immediately I called my fiancée and I thought I was going to die. I managed to crawl to the bathroom, opened the tap on to my face. After that, I grabbed a sachet of water and drank. Surprisingly, I was better and I started to think. I realized I forgot to shut the window at night. My neighbour makes use of his generator till dawn so I have inhaled CO. It was a miracle I survived.
When carbon monoxide (CO) is breathed in it poisons the body by displacing the oxygen levels in the blood and effectively starving vital organs including the heart and brain of oxygen. This will cause loss of consciousness, (THIS IS THE MAJOR REASON MANY PEOPLE DON’T WAKE), suffocation and breathing in a large amount of this gas can have a deadly effect in a matter of minutes. Oxygen is transported around the body via the red blood cells. Specifically, oxygen binds to a substance within the red blood cells called haemoglobin.
Haemoglobin takes up oxygen as blood passes through the lungs, and at the same time carbon dioxide, produced by the body's metabolism, is released from the blood into the exhaled breath. Carbon monoxide, if inhaled, will bind itself to haemoglobin but does so about 240 times more tightly than oxygen, forming a compound called carboxyhaemoglobin. The problem is, the body cannot differentiate O2 from CO. This means that if both carbon monoxide and oxygen are inhaled, carbon monoxide will preferentially bind to haemoglobin. This reduces the amount of haemoglobin available to bind to oxygen, so the body and tissues become starved of oxygen. When unconsciousness sets in, CO poisons the body by shutting down the body systems and the person dies quietly.
However, the poisoning is not always instant. On a daily basis, we are exposed and the body is getting poisoned daily. So if you're living in a neighbourhood where generators never cease to work, always have your windows shut. Do not operate your own set close to the window (very common in Lagos because of security reasons) or indoors. If you're always fatigued, having frequent headaches, vomiting, dizziness etc, visit your doctor. It may be CO poisoning or something else.

Wonderful write up, I presume u r a biological scientific animal. Perfect analysis bro. I live @ Ajah, where do u stay
Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by NifemiOlu(m): 7:28am On Feb 24, 2017
oshorstan:

Wonderful write up, I presume u r a biological scientific animal. Perfect analysis bro. I live @ Ajah, where do u stay
Thanks bro. That post since 2015...I've been transferred to the Mainland...now at Anthony.
Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by Nobody: 8:58am On Feb 24, 2017
The best way to hide a useful information from a black man is to put it in a book or write up, how sad. This is a piece some would wish they read when alive. Thank you OP

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by oshorstan(f): 10:36am On Feb 24, 2017
NifemiOlu:

Thanks bro. That post since 2015...I've been transferred to the Mainland...now at Anthony.

Statement are eternal milestones... Good to know, what's ur handle let me follow u
Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by 3kay945(m): 9:42pm On Feb 24, 2017
Let me try to explain..
Generator fumes (smoke) have Carbonmonoxide (CO)
We take Oxygen (O2) and give out carbondioxide (CO2)
The O2 is needed for human life..
O2 binds to our blood and it is being transferred to where it is needed.
CO (gene fumes) binds to blood 200x faster than O2 binding to the blood..

So when CO is present it makes O2 absent and one will die cry

Did you really answer the question . I guess nope!
Your analysis is cool though.
Such fumes kills people that are deep sleeper. Or got drunk before sleeping cool. Some peeps I know sleep lightly.
Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by nicerod(m): 1:16pm On Feb 25, 2017
TellMeTheTruth:

Are you that lazy to read?
Bloody civilian I go catch u one day
Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by nicerod(m): 1:19pm On Feb 25, 2017
addikt:

Sell your Generator ,

It's Bad for your health as you can inhale CO from the exhaust off your gen.!!!

Thank u jare my broda

1 Like

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by lunacol(m): 10:15pm On Jun 19, 2018
Pathetic situation

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Cobra That Was Killed In My House This Early Morning / Artificial Intelligence Can Now Steal Your Passwords With 100% Accuracy / Huge Python Killed In A Bakery In Mushin Area In Lagos. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.