Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,496 members, 7,819,811 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:19 AM

He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job (2744 Views)

How Would You Answer This 'strange' Interview Question? / Help- How Do You Answer This Interview Question? / How To Answer the terrific "Tell Me About Yourself?" Interview Question. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by Basildvalour(m): 1:27pm On Sep 10, 2015
Good day NairaLanders

A friend who recently underwent a job interview as an Accounts Officer in a growing Telecoms firm narrated what he encountered with a question he was asked to tackle during the course of the interview and now he fears that the question could cost him the job.

Here it is:

A marketer who sells ball point pens (assuming it is a VATable commodity) bought 100units of the product from a manufacturer at #15 per unit.

He sold the 70units at #18 per unit (VAT Inclusive); sold another 20units at #20 per unit (VAT Inclusive) and sold the remaining units at half the cost price because they were damaged (VAT Inclusive).

NOTE: In Nigeria, VAT is fixed at 5%

His tax payable is 10%.

Calculate the marketer's take home profit (that is, profit after tax).

If you were him, what would your answer be? Let's see it.
Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by talk2odim: 1:33pm On Sep 10, 2015
Basildvalour:
Good day NairaLanders

A friend who recently underwent a job interview as an Accounts Officer in a growing Telecoms firm narrated what he encountered with a question he was asked to tackle during the course of the interview and now he fears that the question could cost him the job.

Here it is:

A marketer who sells ball point pens (assuming it is a VATable commodity) bought 100units of the product from a manufacturer at #15 per unit.

He sold the 70units at #18 per unit (VAT Inclusive); sold another 20units at #20 per unit (VAT Inclusive) and sold the remaining units at half the cost price because they were damaged (VAT Inclusive).

His tax payable is 10%.

take home profit is N61.50k
Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by Basildvalour(m): 1:56pm On Sep 10, 2015
talk2odim:

take home profit is N61.50k
Thanks for the response but would love you to show your computation procedure before arriving at that...thanks
Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by talk2odim: 2:06pm On Sep 10, 2015
Basildvalour:
Thanks for the response but would love you to show your computation procedure before arriving at that...thanks

Cost price of the pen; N15 x 100= N1500

Sales:
1. N18 x 70 pens = N1,260
2. N20 x 20 pens = N 400
3. N7.50 x 10 pens = N 75 ( where N7.5 is half of the cost price and the balance of pens id 10 units)

total: 100 pens N1,735

less: 10% vat ie N173.50 = N1,561.50

Net profit: N1,561.50 - N1,500 = N61.50

1 Like

Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by Basildvalour(m): 2:10pm On Sep 10, 2015
talk2odim:

Cost price of the pen; N15 x 100= N1500

Sales:
1. N18 x 70 pens = N1,260
2. N20 x 20 pens = N 400
3. N7.50 x 10 pens = N 75 ( where N7.5 is half of the cost price and the balance of pens id 10 units)

total: 100 pens N1,735

less: 10% vat ie N173.50 = N1,561.50

Net profit: N1,561.50 - N1,500 = N61.50
Oh! guess there was a complication with the way you understood the question. There are two categories of tax there: VAT which is charged at 5% and tax on profit which was charged at 10%. Guess you will have to re-work.
Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by osasboy(m): 2:17pm On Sep 10, 2015
Basildvalour:
Good day NairaLanders

Here it is:j

His tax payable is 10%.

This is a very technical question
Firstly,I would calculate the 5% VAT on the total sales of the 100 pens based on selling price of the 3 categories of sales.I.e 70psc,20psc and 10psc.

Secondly,10%Tax payable is what tax This has to be well spelt out because even the 5% VAT is inclusive in tax payable .

So in this senerio I only see one legit tax payment based on the interviewer's question which is the VAT if you if you deduct any additional 10% tax it will result to multiple taxation.
Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by martfrank(m): 2:23pm On Sep 10, 2015
I got #211.5
Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by talk2odim: 2:32pm On Sep 10, 2015
Basildvalour:
Oh! guess there was a complication with the way you understood the question. There are two categories of tax there: VAT which is charged at 5% and tax on profit which was charged at 10%. Guess you will have to re-work.

reviewing: kindly disregard some aspects of the first solution. i was multi tasking and just took time to read through again.

total sales = N1,735.00

Less: VAT of 5% = N 86.75.
balance on sales: = N 1,648.25

less: Cost price of pens: N1,500
Gross Profit: = N148.25
Less 10% tax = N133.425 (net profit)

3 Likes

Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by engrfemi(m): 2:46pm On Sep 10, 2015
OkOkOk
Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by Nobody: 3:06pm On Sep 10, 2015
Answer

1 Like

Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by ednut1(m): 3:23pm On Sep 10, 2015
profit after tax 133.425
N
70 pens at N18 1260
20pens at N20 400
10pens at N7.5 75
Total sales 1735
Total sales after VAT (5%) 1648.25
Cost price (100 pens at N15) 1500
profit 1648.25-1500 148.25
Profit after tax (10%) 133.425

1 Like

Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by Basildvalour(m): 3:50pm On Sep 10, 2015
talk2odim:

reviewing: kindly disregard some aspects of the first solution. i was multi tasking and just took time to read through again.

total sales = N1,735.00

Now, here is the twist...The question now is, who should pay the VAT?

The marketer or the consumer?
Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by talk2odim: 4:02pm On Sep 10, 2015
Basildvalour:

I believe it is the customer.....
Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by dejt4u(m): 4:05pm On Sep 10, 2015
I got N148.25k
Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by talk2odim: 4:08pm On Sep 10, 2015
dejt4u:
I got N148.25k
u haven't accounted for the 10% income tax.....
Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by Basildvalour(m): 4:08pm On Sep 10, 2015
talk2odim:

I believe it is the customer.....
If it is the customer like you said, then why is VAT deducted from his sales proceeds and never added back?
Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by dejt4u(m): 4:13pm On Sep 10, 2015
That's true oo.. Lemme check the question again.. Tnx
talk2odim:

u haven't accounted for the 10% income tax.....
Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by Basildvalour(m): 4:13pm On Sep 10, 2015
FriedPlantain:
Answer
Why did you place all the VAT burden on the marketer, which will be borne by the consumer?
Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by dejt4u(m): 4:15pm On Sep 10, 2015
I think you are right
talk2odim:

total sales = N1,735.00

Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by ednut1(m): 4:17pm On Sep 10, 2015
Basildvalour:
Why did you place all the VAT burden on the marketer, which will be borne by the consumer?
i believe this happend to u not your friend mr man grin, ur question says inclusive of tax, the customer has paid the vat. the marketer or his company has to remit it to the government shikena

2 Likes

Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by Basildvalour(m): 4:27pm On Sep 10, 2015
ednut1:
i believe this happend to u not your friend mr man grin, ur question says inclusive of tax, the customer has paid the vat. the marketer or his company has to remit it to the government shikena
Oh! Am running my second degree programme for now... I told him something similar but he said, "what if the money is not remitted, who will know and for this course, the VAT should have been added to the cost of the pens bought by the marketer and received by the manufacturer."
Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by talk2odim: 4:32pm On Sep 10, 2015
Basildvalour:
If it is the customer like you said, then why is VAT deducted from his sales proceeds and never added back?
Because the question says "VAT inclusive" and VAT goes to the government.....
Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by talk2odim: 4:33pm On Sep 10, 2015
ednut1:
Thanks........thought that was obvious from the question.
Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by Nobody: 4:35pm On Sep 10, 2015
Basildvalour:
Because the actual sales price stated is gross of VAT, hence, the seller would have to remit the 5‰ Vat to the government since the customer already paid for it.

In the real sense of things, the VAT burden isn't totally carried by the seller i.e he won't have to remit the N86.25 Vat amount (Vat output) in the question. He would net off the VAT input which is the 5‰ vat amount he incurred from buying the pen from the manufacturer (5% * N1500 = N75) from the VAT output of N86.75 he charged his customers.

Therefore is actual VAT payable to the govt would be N11. 75

Hence, his true Profit After Tax would be:

Sales = N1735.00
Less Vat payable (11.75)
=N1723.25

Less Purchases (N1500.00)
Profit before Tax = N223.25
Less income Tax of 10% (22.325)

Profit after tax = N200.925

2 Likes

Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by Basildvalour(m): 4:36pm On Sep 10, 2015
talk2odim:

So we should say that the manufacturer of the pens should pay the government while the marketer pays the manufacturer and the consumer pays the marketer?
Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by talk2odim: 4:38pm On Sep 10, 2015
Basildvalour:
Oh! Am running my second degree programme for now... I told him something similar but he said, "what if the money is not remitted, who will know and for this course, the VAT should have been added to the cost of the pens bought by the marketer and received by the manufacturer."
That ordinarily should be so....but it is safe to work with parameters within the question! The question was silent on VAT on the transaction with the manufacturer.....
Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by Basildvalour(m): 4:38pm On Sep 10, 2015
talk2odim:

will it be correct to say that the manufacturer of the pens paid the government, the marketer paid the manufacturer and the consumer paid the marketer?
Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by talk2odim: 4:42pm On Sep 10, 2015
Basildvalour:
will it be correct to say that the manufacturer of the pens paid the government, the marketer paid the manufacturer and the consumer paid the marketer?
For exam purposes itz best to work with parameters within the question.....
Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by Nobody: 4:57pm On Sep 10, 2015
From the question, VAT is inclusive, so the Marketer has to pay to the Government because he/she has included it in the price of sale of the Ball Pen.
Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by Smeeky(m): 5:50pm On Sep 10, 2015
SALES VAT(OP) VAT(IP). GOVT Maf 1500. 75 - 75
mkter 1735 86.75 75 11.75
-------- ==== bfr tax 235
vat(inc) (11.75)
------------
gross 223.25
10%tax. (22.325)
-------------
Net. 200.925
=======

Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by GANDALF1(m): 9:07pm On Sep 10, 2015
Basildvalour:
VAT is an abbreviation for Value Added Tax. It simply means the tax that a user will have to pay to the government for using a raw material that has been improved on by a manufacturer.
The manufacturer purchased the plastic + ink and added value by turning them into ballpoint pens. His unit sale price of #15/each is inclusive of his cost price, profit and value added tax.
Your marketer added value by transporting the pen and storing it. Hence the 5% VAT he is collecting and must remit to government.
If you purchase the pens and use them to create a back-to-school kit for kids, you have added value and authorised to collect VAT and remit to Government.
So in reality, everybody pays/remits VAT at their end.

Re: He Feels This Interview Question Could Deny Him The Job by Basildvalour(m): 9:22pm On Sep 10, 2015
GANDALF1:

VAT is an abbreviation for Value Added Tax. It simply means the tax that a user will have to pay to the government for using a raw material that has been improved on by a manufacturer.
The manufacturer purchased the plastic + ink and added value by turning them into ballpoint pens. His unit sale price of #15/each is inclusive of his cost price, profit and value added tax.
Your marketer added value by transporting the pen and storing it. Hence the 5% VAT he is collecting and must remit to government.
If you purchase the pens and use them to create a back-to-school kit for kids, you have added value and authorised to collect VAT and remit to Government.
So in reality, everybody pays/remits VAT at their end.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Abuja Electricity Distribution Company, (AEDC) Recruitment - August 2016 / FCSC Denies Current Recruitment Exercise (August) / Ongoing 2018 Dangote Foundation Scholarships In USA | Nigerians Only

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.