Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,557 members, 7,820,013 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:27 AM

Marriage Customs Of Okrika People In River State, Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Marriage Customs Of Okrika People In River State, Nigeria (10599 Views)

Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood At Okrika Market Yesterday / Okrika People Of Rivers Expose Boobs Of Their Ladies 2 Welcome Them 2 Womanhood / Statue Erected In Honor Of The Founder Of Okrika Town (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marriage Customs Of Okrika People In River State, Nigeria by amakoro(m): 3:12pm On Sep 10, 2015
The marital journey of my friend Emaka into Okrika land was amazing and educative for me; I saw cultural belief and tradition marriage entirely different from what I use to know.

Emaka met Jane, after graduation they lost contact but as fate may have it, they were united again and never let go since then. For this union to be legal this couple has to do needful – the traditional marriage rites of Okrika must be observer because Jane is a native of Okrika. For those that don’t know Okrika is in River state, southern Nigeria. Okrika clan consisted of nine towns, Okrika, Ogoloma, Ibaka, Ogbogbo, Ogu, Abuloma, Isaka, Bolo, and Ele. Their occupation is mainly fishing and farming.

Traditional marriage of Okrika people

The Okrika people have basically two types of marriage; Ya or Iyaa and Igwa. Some believe have it that Ya is the real deal because it is a permanent union and predates Igwa – which is an adaptation due to the increase of settler population among the Okrika people.

The Ya – Here the couple must come from the same tribe/clan. When a man is ready for marriage he informs his people and they immediately go ahead for the marriage rites of the said bride. Marriage ceremony involves certain customary functions that precede the consummation of the marriage. The man is mandated to produce three pieces of cloth (Kano cloth, India cloth and raffia palm cloth (okuru). An elder ties the raffia cloth round the couple, invoking blessings on them. The traditional marriage is finalized by the provision of all items required of him (groom).

The second type is called igwa, means mixed; here the woman and the man may marry even though they are from different families or tribe.

Marriage once bound can never be withdrawn. However, If divorce is unavoidable because of infidelity, the woman still belongs to the previous man (Ya marriage) even if she marries another man. In fact, according to Okrika tradition, the woman and her possession including children still belongs to the previous man who performed the Ya marriage rites. A woman who married under the Ya system can still be married under Igwa. If the woman has not been previously married to any man under the Ya system, children from the Igwa marriage belong either to the lawful husband of the wife's mother or to her brothers.

Marriage List - for the father

1. 2 pieces of Holland’s Wax 2. 1 native shirt 3. 1 hat 4. 1 big towel 5. 1 pair of shoes and socks 6. 1 walking stick 7. 1 wristwatch 8. 1 dozen pairs of underwear 9. 1 she goat with N10, 000.00 for cutting goat’s head

http://amarachia..com.ng/2015/09/marriage-customs-of-okrika-people-in.html
Re: Marriage Customs Of Okrika People In River State, Nigeria by dejavski(m): 3:38pm On Sep 10, 2015
Use pix to back up this please
Re: Marriage Customs Of Okrika People In River State, Nigeria by Nobody: 5:58pm On Sep 11, 2015
I am from okrika and I don't even know anything about my culture so yes picture proof would be nice. Thanks.
Re: Marriage Customs Of Okrika People In River State, Nigeria by amakoro(m): 4:45pm On Sep 14, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Black/white? / (PHOTO) "The Abobaku Of Ooni Of Ife Found And Will Be Buried Alongside The King" / Let Us Discuss About Anunuebe, The Mysterious Tree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.