Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,494 members, 7,816,176 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:05 AM

Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations (8112 Views)

Mom's Racy Outfit To Host Son's 5th Birthday Party At School Sparks Criticism / Mother Who Had Accident, Broken Leg, Breastfeeding Her Baby At The Scene / Is Exclusive Breastfeeding For 6months A Sacrifice Too Much For A Mother To Give (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by lxvi8xii(m): 5:49pm On Sep 10, 2015
Hello mums, new mums, experienced mums and expectant mums.

I am a first time mum of 7 weeks and I am practising Exclusive Breastfeeding (EBF). The benefits of exclusive Breastfeeding cannot be over emphasised but there isn't much discussion on the challenges not to talk of the lack of support, discouragement, criticisms, temptations mothers face.

Exclusive Breastfeeding is giving an infant breast milk alone as it's food. Simply put
Breast milk + x = food for infant
Where x = nothing, nada, nihil, rien, zilch. Though I think the occasional soap water consumed at Bath time can be overlooked.

I am trying to breastfeed exclusively for 6 months (God help me) as advised.... It hasn't been easy.
MY CHALLENGES
Breastfeeding on demand to waking up at night to feed.
Rushed personal hours (even bathroom round is rushed)
Nipples ache sometimes
The will to refrain from comparing him with other babies his age
Every day threat from my mother and mother in law about giving my baby formula or water when I am in bathroom.

CRITICISMS
Are you sure your breast milk is satisfying.
I don't think the quality is good.
Exclusive Breastfeeding is for mothers that have poor hygiene cos they can't keep bottles clean.
He looks sick
He is skinny, sister Ann's baby who is younger is very chubby.

EXPERIENCES
The longest my baby has stayed without pooping is 11 days. Now we are on the day 10, I pray he poops soon.
The clinging to his meal ticket.
I am still gathering more experience.
Massive support from hubby.

Please let's share experiences and solutions to challenges encountered. It would encourage people like myself that are almost tempted into feeding baby formula.

UPDATE

EBF 12 weeks and getting better.

PRESSURE
"Give your baby a little water"
"introduce dawa and soya bean"
"3 months is enough nah"
"are you still starving your baby?" Lol.... That was from dad.
"you don't look like someone on omugwo"

OBSERVATIONS /EXPERIENCE
It's all about baby, my bathroom rounds, food preparation, eating and sleep is per second since I am feeding on demand. Looking forward to uninterrupted 3 hours sleep.
Breastfeeding is making me loose lots of weight though I am eating more portions than ever.
Live savers: fruits, oats, pap, coconut and pregnacare Breastfeeding.
We have settled into a 2 week poo pattern
No catarrh, cough or diarrhoea.
My baby is very active, curious, growing strong.
Clingy
I spend lots of time with my baby.
Quick to notice any changes, development etc

HOPES/ PRAYERS
To continue till end of 6 months
To never get to experience colic, Diarrhoea, cough etc
That my baby remains strong and healthy.

Thumbs up to other EBF mothers.

7 Likes

Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by INTROVERT(f): 5:51pm On Sep 10, 2015
will learn here
Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by Cutehector(m): 6:08pm On Sep 10, 2015
Op u are a first time mom and u are male... Alright.

3 Likes

Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by Trypa(f): 6:22pm On Sep 10, 2015
Dear I Don't know if u r male or female bt from ur write up u sound Female but the little I can say is patient wen u are breast feeding ur baby u need to be patient enough allow him suck dip even with the tip ache it's help most time so be sure u also feed him even with the ache watch ur time too and don't b a time mum' u know what I mean like every two hours or 30 min breast feed the baby even when u feel his not hungry and not all exclusive babies r chubby some came with the baby n once u give ur baby water or milk then they's no more exclusive dis the little I know all u need is endurance and patient as a first time mum
Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by cococandy(f): 6:33pm On Sep 10, 2015
On Challenges, You can use a breast pump to extract some of the milk and keep in the refrigerator.
That way, your nippless won't take the heat for all that sucking and you can sleep sometimes while daddy feeds him/her.

As for the benefits, some people don't practice exclusive yet their babies turn out okay.

If you find it too stressful, you might wanna add other stuff (formula. Whatever) jare.

Shey Person will come and go and die say e born pikin grin

On the good side, I heard it helps you burn the baby fat faster. That should be encouraging.

5 Likes

Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by RobinHez(m): 7:15pm On Sep 10, 2015
just 6 months?
When mum breastfed me for almost 1yr+...
Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by Nobody: 7:32pm On Sep 10, 2015
If you have the strength to do it, then it's Ok. But make sure your milk is always flowing well to avoid your baby being malnourished.

But me sha, I didn't do exclusive cos my baby can suck for Africa and I don't have the strength.
Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by Trypa(f): 7:44pm On Sep 10, 2015
RobinHez:

just 6 months?

When mum breastfed me for almost 1yr+...

Lol with all the teeth u gat in ur mouth n gums
Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by RobinHez(m): 8:08pm On Sep 10, 2015
Trypa:

Lol with all the teeth u gat in ur mouth n gums

ah!
According to momma: I was a sucking champion!
I'd suck one while handling the other...she had a hard time stopping weaning me grin
Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by Trypa(f): 8:14pm On Sep 10, 2015
RobinHez:

ah!
According to momma: I was a sucking champion!
I'd suck one while handling the other...she had a hard time stopping weaning me grin

LolZ thumps up to her grin
Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by RobinHez(m): 8:22pm On Sep 10, 2015
Trypa:

LolZ thumps up to her grin
yeah..thummbs up to my momma! grin
Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by Onegai(f): 8:44pm On Sep 10, 2015
Riding in to tbe rescue!

OP, I was so sure I would EBF, I didn't even bother buying bottles or sterilization set, just a nursing pillow. And I went through all sorts of crazy which no-one discussed with me before.

Hang in there, it gets easier. I swear it.

Don't use too much ointment on your nipples, just use it before you bath so the water from the shower doesn't hurt it (nipples are raw). Your mill is MORE THAN ENOUGH (seriously newborns don't eat upto 4 ounces until a month later and breastfed babies are not as big, they tend to grow massive after a while. So don't compare). My mum was pro-formula and my MiL pro-EBF. If you must supplement, try pumping (Medela makes great breastpumps) so you can sleep at night. The more you nurse, the more your milk comes in (that was the only thing that saved me, one of his sisters kept insisting I nurse even though nothing came out and everyone was shoving formula at me). As for the lack of sleep, honey that's Baby 101 for you cry

Eat well, lots of oatmeal, fish, water, pap, try some Indian herbs like Fenugreek and Fennel seeds as tea (they help in increasing your milk). Your milk quality is EXACTLY WHAT YOUR BABY NEEDS and each baby is different. Breastfeeding is more hygenic (i once didnt rinse a bottle well out of exhaustion, the Husbs had zero idea how to dismantle a bottle for cleaning, our water quality is so bad we boil Ragolis for Baby E and just so much crazy happens. Your boobs, rinse them with water (no soap so that it doesn't leave a residue) and its good to go! Tell everyone to park well and swerve if they keep mouthing off.

I had to see 3 lactation consultants until the final one who knew what was up and could advise me on so much. Get as much of the areola (black skin surrounding your nipples, especially the underside) into the baby's mouth. Most babies don't know how to use their tongue, open their mouth and suck effectively. So you have to help.

You're doing great!

7 Likes

Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by lxvi8xii(m): 11:29pm On Sep 10, 2015
Thank you onegai, cococandy and trypai. I don't have a schedule for feeding baby, baby eats anytime anywhere. I don't let baby sleep over 4 hours without feeding. My consolations are the over soaked diapers and the hyperactivity.

For those that exclusively breastfed without water what was the longest time that your baby went without pooping.

I made sure I didn't buy feeding bottle set to strengthen my resolve and I am hoping that I won't need to express fortunately I am a work from home mum.

And I am female.

Another observation, in the 7 weeks thanks to God Almighty my baby has no cold, catarrh or congestion even though I had terrible cough and cold in my last two weeks before delivery and 3 weeks postpartum. And I have lost 12 kg without moving an inch.
Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by Blade21: 9:37am On Sep 11, 2015
lxvi8xii:
Thank you onegai, cococandy and trypai. I don't have a schedule for feeding baby, baby eats anytime anywhere. I don't let baby sleep over 4 hours without feeding. My consolations are the over soaked diapers and the hyperactivity.

For those that exclusively breastfed without water what was the longest time that your baby went without pooping.

I made sure I didn't buy feeding bottle set to strengthen my resolve and I am hoping that I won't need to express fortunately I am a work from home mum.

And I am female.

Another observation, in the 7 weeks thanks to God Almighty my baby has no cold, catarrh or congestion even though I had terrible cough and cold in my last two weeks before delivery and 3 weeks postpartum. And I have lost 12 kg without moving an inch.
mybaby. Stayed for two weels without pooing as long as de baby is farting he's alrite eventually he will poo. I did exclusive bf my son is 1yrr 8mnths now nd de highest he ever hbas is headache nd fever that's all so hang in dere its stressful but @ de long run its worth it

1 Like

Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by temmy2103(f): 5:46pm On Sep 11, 2015
My sister, please keep it up. I did too, my baby is 6months+1week old
Breastfed on demand, no scheduling(timing)
Good ur hubby is with u on this
Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by teeboo: 10:38pm On Sep 11, 2015
U've gotten good advice frm diff posters,as for d poo,dont worry d baby will poo,i experience it too,so far d baby is passing urine,den u're good.
Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by Gracious10: 11:36pm On Sep 11, 2015
Congratulations on deciding to exclusively breast feed. That's a very huge and rewarding job. You have to be very determined to do that and its very good u have support system.

I did exclusive breastfeeding for 8months and its was really hard. Thank God for Hubby who supported me all the way. Sometimes, I just want to sleep but the baby must be fed. So I thank God for breast pump. I did more of expressing the milk than feeding him directly, I also had excessive production of milk that he never lacked milk. I refrigerated them with time and dates labeled. I never breastfed outside since I always carry the expressed milk with me.

If you use the breast pump u have to pump every 3-4 hours so you will have continuous milk production. Also eat very well and drink lots of fluid, I had more of fresh juiced fruits and vegetables , if u eat healthy, baby won't have issues with bowel movements, although breastfed babies don't poo like formula fed ones cos their body uses almost every thing since breastmilk is easily digested.
You can't compare babies weight with other babies, every child grows at its own pace.
In 3weeks, I went back to my pre-pregnancy state and my tummy flat so breastfeeding is good for yiu and the baby.Although I enjoyed the contraceptive side of breastfeeding that I took in 6months after baby's delivery and didn't even know it.
You will understand that's its the best you can do for that child. My baby started walking at 10months, never been sick or anyhealth issues. He has developed so well that I am very grateful that I did exclusive breastfeeding. With this one coming, I am doing the same. And sleep when the baby sleeps, it doesn't matter what I was doing, as soon as he sleeps, I just grab position even if na for floor i must sleep oo..lol. Rest up too, u need all the energy you can get because no be small work.

So please keep doing this and don't give up. Mommies Rock!! Goodluck.

1 Like

Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by Amis(f): 2:46am On Sep 12, 2015
Way to go momma hang in there it will get better. I exclusively breast feed my babies too...at some point my LO refused taking the boobs so I switched to exclusive pumping..so as cococandy advised you can get a breast pump so you can have some rest and daddy take care of the baby and you can even build a stash from pumping with that you can even have a night out with dad grin. EBF takes a lot of determination and as for you wondering if breast milk alone is enough for him..be rest assured as long as he is contended and gaining weight.
Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by Onegai(f): 2:54am On Sep 12, 2015
yeah my stomach was flat by 6 weeks too. Breastfeeding does help you lose weight.
Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by MMotimo: 8:14am On Sep 12, 2015
Good that you've had a lot of encouraging posts so that I don't spoil things with my contribution.
Exclusive breast feeding is over rated IMHO, I don't see anything wrong with combining it with good quality formula and I don't subscribe to breastfeeding for more than 3-4 months.

. . . . . . . but then, I also believe your breasts were not created for breastfeeding alone, they are a part of your sexuality and that should last decades beyond however long your kids suck for.

I have seen some new Moms lose a lot of weight while breastfeeding only to gain it all back with jara later if they don't watch it. It may aid weight loss but it does not guarantee maintenance of a healthy weight.

1 Like

Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by Amis(f): 1:45pm On Sep 12, 2015
MMotimo:
Good that you've had a lot of encouraging posts so that I don't spoil things with my contribution.
Exclusive breast feeding is over rated IMHO, I don't see anything wrong with combining it with good quality formula and I don't subscribe to breastfeeding for more than 3-4 months.

. . . . . . . but then, I also believe your breasts were not created for breastfeeding alone, they are a part of your sexuality and that should last decades beyond however long your kids suck for.

I have seen some new Moms lose a lot of weight while breastfeeding only to gain it all back with jara later if they don't watch it. It may aid weight loss but it does not guarantee maintenance of a healthy weight.

grin @ d sexuality part
Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by thelish(f): 3:11pm On Sep 12, 2015
I did this for my first son for six months without water. I felt alright all through. The advantage part of it was that I don't need to carry big bag wen going out cos I hate to carry bag. parking of flask with hot water n milk was out of it. suffer my breazt dey with me. The disadvantage was dat my mother in law gave me a tough time. she will seize my water when am eating, meaning if I think I can't stay wtout water, why do I think my baby can stay without it? I tried to explain to her d benefits, but she insisted my hubby was not deprive water n I married him. lol.
After eating, I go out to buy water, I drink it outside before coming in, for peace to rain. I nor get power to drag water ooo.

2 Likes

Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by lxvi8xii(m): 6:42pm On Sep 12, 2015
Thank you Blade 21, temmy and teeboo.

Please mums that did the exclusive Breastfeeding how did you help relieve your babies discomfort especially when they were making the whole pooping effort and straining hard. I am on day 11 of another "no poop ".

@mmotimo... You are right about some mums gaining extra weight after Breastfeeding. I don't think exclusive Breastfeeding is overrated even though we are still getting more information on this. Apart from the nutritional and health benefits and weight loss, exclusive Breastfeeding helps mums internal female parts return to pre pregnancy conditions, EBF also encourages bonding and provides opportunity to spend time with child, learn baby's new facial expressions, new language etc.
About supplementing with formula, I think it does more harm than good to very young infants. Considering the production process, preservatives and our market that attracts fake goods. I was told by my doctor that there are some food additives present in formula that interfere with some important nutrients in breast milk when combined thereby reducing the efficacy of either on their own. So I think it is better to use a breast pump as advised by amis and gracious as supplement.

Personally I am gonna skip on the breast pump till it is really necessary cos I am a bit selfish and want to be the only one to feed my baby.

2 Likes

Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by Amis(f): 7:29pm On Sep 12, 2015
lxvi8xii:
Thank you Blade 21, temmy and teeboo.

Please mums that did the exclusive Breastfeeding how did you help relieve your babies discomfort especially when they were making the whole pooping effort and straining hard. I am on day 11 of another "no poop ".

@mmotimo... You are right about some mums gaining extra weight after Breastfeeding. I don't think exclusive Breastfeeding is overrated even though we are still getting more information on this. Apart from the nutritional and health benefits and weight loss, exclusive Breastfeeding helps mums internal female parts return to pre pregnancy conditions, EBF also encourages bonding and provides opportunity to spend time with child, learn baby's new facial expressions, new language etc.
About supplementing with formula, I think it does more harm than good to very young infants. Considering the production process, preservatives and our market that attracts fake goods. I was told by my doctor that there are some food additives present in formula that interfere with some important nutrients in breast milk when combined thereby reducing the efficacy of either on their own. So I think it is better to use a breast pump as advised by amis and gracious as supplement.

Personally I am gonna skip on the breast pump till it is really necessary cos I am a bit selfish and want to be the only one to feed my baby.

About the no poop you can try massaging the baby tummy in circular motion and also try cycling baby legs mimicking riding a bicycle. That often helps my LO
Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by ahnie: 8:07pm On Sep 12, 2015
I intent to do EBF for only 3months.but its not an eazy task.my Bae is lez than 3months.
Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by lovaleenny(f): 8:33pm On Sep 12, 2015
Use Vaseline...apply inside ur child's rectum and he'll poop
Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by Momcherry(f): 11:23pm On Sep 12, 2015
Exclusive breastfeeding is very nice. I did it for my babies and I never regretted it. If u re a mother and never practiced it, try it with ur next baby if u can and see the difference. However, I noticed I put on a lot of weight during the period instead of the other way round coz I was eating too much just as the baby was sucking too much lol. But i lost all the weight when i weaned my baby. It was worth it in the end.
What did I gain? A lot. My babies are always very healthy and intelligent. At 7months they've started standing.

1 Like

Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by lxvi8xii(m): 10:21pm On Sep 13, 2015
Thank you amis, your advice was very helpful
Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by Amis(f): 10:47pm On Sep 13, 2015
lxvi8xii:
Thank you amis, your advice was very helpful

Uw dear
Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by dBard: 6:58am On Sep 14, 2015
Kudos to you for your decision.
Just want to add a couple of tins:
There's a general misconception about the growth rate of exclusively breastfed babies as compared to others. It's bin my experience, contrary to views, breastfed babies do turn out bigger and definitely healthier than the others.
Development also is said to be better, though unproven, probably cos of d increased bonding between mother and child.
It may also help regularize ur feeding earlier as d child falls into your rhythm much faster.

Breast tip pain simply indicates that you're doing it wrong. Baby suckling on ur tips alone will traumatize it and cause pain.
In Suckling, the nipples AND areola should all be in d babies mouth. This way, the pressure is less, trauma is less and u feel better.

Also, exclusive doesn't necessarily mean it always has to b suckling. There's room for expressed breast milk (with cup n spoon of course).

Constipation may occasionally occur...a simple soap n water finger poke does d trick at times but preferably, see a certified medical practitioner.

Peace

1 Like

Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by lxvi8xii(m): 3:12pm On Sep 14, 2015
dBard:
Kudos to you for your decision.
Just want to add a couple of tins:
There's a general misconception about the growth rate of exclusively breastfed babies as compared to others. It's bin my experience, contrary to views, breastfed babies do turn out bigger and definitely healthier than the others.
Development also is said to be better, though unproven, probably cos of d increased bonding between mother and child.
It may also help regularize ur feeding earlier as d child falls into your rhythm much faster.

Breast tip pain simply indicates that you're doing it wrong. Baby suckling on ur tips alone will traumatize it and cause pain.
In Suckling, the nipples AND areola should all be in d babies mouth. This way, the pressure is less, trauma is less and u feel better.

Also, exclusive doesn't necessarily mean it always has to b suckling. There's room for expressed breast milk (with cup n spoon of course).

Constipation may occasionally occur...a simple soap n water finger poke does d trick at times but preferably, see a certified medical practitioner.

Peace

Please when do breastfed babies start to add weight as in get chubby? My baby was still 4.1 at 6 weeks
Re: Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations by Amis(f): 3:16pm On Sep 14, 2015
lxvi8xii:

Please when do breastfed babies start to add weight as in get chubby? My baby was still 4.1 at 6 weeks

Babies are different and they gain weight at their own pace. My daughter was exclusively breastfeed for 3months and she is way chubby than my son that was exclusively breastfeed for 6months and still breastfeeding at 9months while my daughter weaned from breastfeeding at 7months. So breastfeeding is not a guarantee that your baby will be chubby as long as he is healthy no probs.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Mothers Should Be More Honoured And Respected Than Fathers. / Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. / Are Men Naturally Polygamous?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.