Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,086 members, 7,818,256 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:17 AM

O-she-bay: A Racial Insult In Disguise - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / O-she-bay: A Racial Insult In Disguise (1713 Views)

The Idea You Have Could Be Gold In Disguise / Your Language, Your Tribe And Religion Is A Cause In Disguise. See Why / Black People(bantus)-hebrew Israelites,inter-racial Marriage Is Not Good (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

O-she-bay: A Racial Insult In Disguise by Angelou(m): 10:19am On Sep 11, 2015
About two days ago, a friend of mine was playing this Army "morale" song on his phone, this song is normally used during training sessions at military depots (this particular guy was a Man-O-War member so such things really fascinated him). It got to a point that the commander (in the audo track) chanted "Hoo-She-Bay!!!" and out of curiousity, i asked this friend of mine what the meaning of that phrase was (i previously had the notion that it was probably of Igbo origins), but he couldn't give me an answer. Another guy who had been sitting besides us all this while then told me that the phrase "Hoo-She-Bay" was actually a corruption of Apes Obey.
Re: O-she-bay: A Racial Insult In Disguise by Angelou(m): 10:21am On Sep 11, 2015
he further said that this words were u
Re: O-she-bay: A Racial Insult In Disguise by Angelou(m): 10:39am On Sep 11, 2015
he further said that these words were used by the colonial masters to cheer black african workers up during labour. Initially, i snubbed the guy because i thought saw that question as an opportunity to play pranks on ,me..(since he himself was an half-caste), but after i made further researchs on the internet, i learnt that all he said was unfortunately true. It's quite painful when u see members of the armed forces yeling proudly and delightfully at the call of O-She Bay!! By their commanders.. No knowing that they are actually being called Apes
Re: O-she-bay: A Racial Insult In Disguise by Angelou(m): 10:44am On Sep 11, 2015
now my question is why did the educated elites not do anything to pressure the government to abolish the use of such words in military training sessions since It's obvious that they knew the meaning of that phrase
Re: O-she-bay: A Racial Insult In Disguise by bigfrancis21: 1:52pm On Sep 11, 2015
O-she Bay and 'apes obey' do not sound exactly familiar to me.

Could you cite your references where you saw the confirmatory material online?
Re: O-she-bay: A Racial Insult In Disguise by 1shortblackboy: 3:07am On Sep 12, 2015
bigfrancis21:
O-she Bay and 'apes obey' do not sound exactly familiar to me.

Could you cite your references where you saw the confirmatory material online?
Re: O-she-bay: A Racial Insult In Disguise by Angelou(m): 7:43pm On Sep 14, 2015
this is the source.. Bigfrancis21, 1stshortblackboy www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/inkpots/30127-apes-obey.html
Re: O-she-bay: A Racial Insult In Disguise by Nobody: 9:59pm On Sep 14, 2015
Where I grew up, a part of Enugu, we heard it as 'Eh-shey-bey', rather than 'O-...'. I don't think it's far-fetched for it to be a mangled pronunciation of 'Apes obey' by 'uneducated' labourers who couldn't speak English. In fact, I think deriving it from 'apes obey' makes a lot of sense, though I don't think the evidence for it is at all conclusive.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Agbor Delta State New Yam Festival In Video And Photos / {$DP} Ramadan 2015 Profile Pics For FB Whatsapp / Why Do Yoruba Elders Love To Be Greeted With Prostration?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.