Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,236 members, 7,818,792 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster (81707 Views)

A Healthy Liver Vs A Liver Damaged By Alcohol (Disturbing Photo) / Follow These Nutrition Tips For A Healthy Heart / Help Before I Kill Myself. Body Odour Has Turned Me To A Recluse. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by TCD: 9:06am On Sep 13, 2015
donodion:
Please pay attention to the following
-Patient mobilized on his own and not wheeled in.
-yet a medication with side effect (or could cause) HAEMATURIA was prescribed
- who prescribed the medication?
- Less than 2 days of taking medication as directed
What does hematuria have to do with anything? obviously you don't even know what uric acid and hematuria means. I suggest you research.

As a healthcare provider, a self mobilizing client (or patient) on routine check up,however with abnormalties found in diagnostic test of say urine sample, what category of medication would you prescribe to treat or reverse abnormal findings?, step doses (such as effective, inexpensive, well-tolerated drugs that physicians regularly prescribe to treat common problems.) or High risk component medication with severe side effects such as Allopurinol?

Do you still assume no one should still blame having highlighted the scenario as above? shocked shocked shocked

CC Ehie, DrObum, Prothelly, bjrgtrolde, Ishilove, d33types, onatisi

No offense but you are talking absolute rubbish here. Medical practice doesn't take guidelines based on your own "common sense and reasoning". Obviously you haven't been anywhere close to medical school.

what are "step doses (such as effective, inexpensive , well-tolerated drug, regularly prescribed etc etc)" kinda drugs will be used to treat hyperuricemia? Apart from allopurinol (Zyloric ) we have Probenacid and febuxostat which are not readily available, not as cheap, and have their own potential side effects such as liver damage and necrosis even heart block and many more. Every drug has side effects and adverse effects.

And oh the fact that a patient's walks to you with his two legs doesn't mean all is well and he is not at great risk. you have no idea how high the uric acid level was and what risks it posed to his organs like kidneys and his health in general.
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by Dokitadotun: 8:45pm On Sep 13, 2015
Samgreguc:

The Pharmacist(who is also a pharmacologist) is a drug expert so, he is expected to have pointed that out.
Nope, you will end up telling everybody to avoid the drug which is not right. What makes you vulnerable is your genetic makeup and not the drug.
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by brilly63(f): 9:13pm On Sep 13, 2015
pls how will I join a bead or craft forum here
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by Samgreguc(m): 2:19am On Sep 14, 2015
Dokitadotun:

Nope, you will end up telling everybody to avoid the drug which is not right. What makes you vulnerable is your genetic makeup and not the drug.
Seriously? Then you really don't know the intimacy between the Rxist and drug.
Just a tip : Pharmacology is the study of the drug interactions with the living system.
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by ElPhoche(m): 10:43pm On Sep 15, 2015
Samgreguc:

Seriously? Then you really don't know the intimacy between the Rxist and drug.
Just a tip : Pharmacology is the study of the drug interactions with the living system.
Both you and dokintadotun have a point. In pharmacology, there is pharmacokinetics-what d body does it d drug, and pharmacodynamics-what d drug does to the body. The.bad effect if drugs is an interplay between ,the intrinsic property of a drug and d genetic makeup of individual. For example, phenytoin over a long time causes gingival hypertrophy. Sulphur drugs like Sulphadiazine causes black discoloration and rashes to some people.
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by Samgreguc(m): 8:08pm On Sep 16, 2015
ElPhoche:

Both you and dokintadotun have a point. In pharmacology, there is pharmacokinetics-what d body does it d drug, and pharmacodynamics-what d drug does to the body. The.bad effect if drugs is an interplay between ,the intrinsic property of a drug and d genetic makeup of individual. For example, phenytoin over a long time causes gingival hypertrophy. Sulphur drugs like Sulphadiazine causes black discoloration and rashes to some people.
That field sounds like toxicology.

1 Like

Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by ElPhoche(m): 9:36am On Sep 17, 2015
Samgreguc:

Yeah.....Some people don't understand that EVERYTHING is/can be a poison and have adverse effect, even blood.
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by ElPhoche(m): 9:38am On Sep 17, 2015
Samgreguc:

Yeah. Really ,toxicology is a part of pharmacology......Some people don't understand that EVERYTHING is/can be a poison and have adverse effect, even blood.
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by amparas(m): 9:00pm On Sep 17, 2015
TCD:
what test should the doctor carry out to know if the patient has allergies?

which one did you invent that is widely available and we can use? pls name the test.

Body reactions to drugs are very normal. Most people are allergic to different kinds of drugs. It may be even be genetic. Me I'm allergic to ciprofloxacin I know that because a doctor wanted to give me but later made some test and found out.
Find your allergies before its too late.
Hope this helps you
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by billyG(m): 11:03am On Sep 25, 2015
ElPhoche:

Where is this one coming from? We are trying to have an intelligent discussion here...
Go & engage drug fackers in intelligent discussion not on nairaland.
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by ElPhoche(m): 6:15pm On Sep 25, 2015
billyG:

Go & engage drug fackers in intelligent discussion not on nairaland.
If you choose to become a tribal bigot and take Nairaland as your battle ground, your pick. I ain't coming down to your level.

1 Like

Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by hoodua467(m): 8:40pm On Jul 02, 2016
d33types:

Drugs. The usual sulphonamides...sulpa'pyrimeth, septrin..

I myself suffer a milder form (maculopapular rashes) in response to cotrimoxazole (septrin) and I still take it.even last week here.....stubborn me
It works for URTI cough for me that's why I am that stubborn

Am sure you're a doc too
That kind of stubbornness is suicidal, there are other drugs available that can take care of your infection with less risk. Subsequent allergic reactions tends to be more grievous!!!
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by Nobody: 11:59pm On Jun 01, 2019
Strong work you have here. tongue

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ekiti Government Speaks On Coronavirus In The State As American Man Dies / Nigerian Tailors Making Face Masks And Overalls To Fight Coronavirus - CNN / Mysterious Disease In Benue, Nigeria Kills 15 People, Affects Over 100

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.