Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,050 members, 7,821,613 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:40 PM

Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster (81721 Views)

A Healthy Liver Vs A Liver Damaged By Alcohol (Disturbing Photo) / Follow These Nutrition Tips For A Healthy Heart / Help Before I Kill Myself. Body Odour Has Turned Me To A Recluse. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by luorquay: 5:56pm On Sep 11, 2015
Sue the life outta GSK and also the doctor in question should be investigated. Did he tell Mr Charles of the side effects of the drugs or he nor even know the work of the drug he prescribed?? Jes saying shocked
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by Nobody: 5:57pm On Sep 11, 2015
So sad to hear. Aawh. Beautiful wife.
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by Nobody: 5:59pm On Sep 11, 2015
Wow...mmmmmm
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by DedeNkem: 6:06pm On Sep 11, 2015
That's what METH causes.
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by d33types: 6:21pm On Sep 11, 2015
Bjergtrolde:

I stand corrected.
Out of interest, what do they attribute their condition to? The drug, Spiritual Attack etc

Drugs. The usual sulphonamides...sulpa'pyrimeth, septrin..

I myself suffer a milder form (maculopapular rashes) in response to cotrimoxazole (septrin) and I still take it.even last week here.....stubborn me
It works for URTI cough for me that's why I am that stubborn

Am sure you're a doc too

1 Like

Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by ElPhoche(m): 6:37pm On Sep 11, 2015
Alnost every drug can cause SJS. A simple intake of penicillin can cause anaphylactic shock and SJS. Paracetamol can cause acute liver failure. The common aspirin we know also has its own side effect.
It is not the fault of the pharmaceutical companies when a side effect occurs. There will always be that small percentage of people who will easily develop the side effect. We all should be aware that every drug under the earth has a side effect, whether orthodox or modern.

3 Likes

Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by TCD: 6:41pm On Sep 11, 2015
amparas:
pple are here just blaming the drug. The doctor is also guilty, he/she had to carry out test before prescribing a drug to a patient.
If the patient has allergies, he would have known.
Or is this some kind of propaganda on GSK?
what test should the doctor carry out to know if the patient has allergies?

which one did you invent that is widely available and we can use? pls name the test.
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by tayoccu(m): 7:10pm On Sep 11, 2015
luorquay:
Sue the life outta GSK and also the doctor in question should be investigated. Did he tell Mr Charles of the side effects of the drugs or he nor even know the work of the drug he prescribed?? Jes saying shocked

it's obvious you just read the initial post and you clicked reply so as to vent.
gsk put an information leaflet in the pack, its also online, and it has been posted earlier, you'd know that if you read through before clicking reply
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by soonest(f): 7:25pm On Sep 11, 2015
Samgreguc:

Sir, are u alright to think no one has done wrong?
Its either the Pharmacist's, Physician's or patient's fault.
Am very sure it's not the fault of GSK.
Yes in saner clime,the pharmacist can go in for it for not educating the patient on the side effects especially this potential fatal adverse effect
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by Nobody: 7:36pm On Sep 11, 2015
wenson:
Mehn dah Guy dun turn 2 hulk
Lolz. Just imagine were ur mind go Hahahahahahahahaha
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by rugged7(m): 7:41pm On Sep 11, 2015
The doctor did nothing wrong in prescribing zyloric(allopurinol) for a likely hyperuricaemia.

Although allopurinol has the risk for SJS, so do a lot of other medications including anti-malarials.

Change2015:
A little ridiculous to see that no attention is paid to the doctor who prescribed the drug. Was it prescribed in Nigeria or Burkina? Was he given any advice about usage and potential side effects? This is why I avoid all these sensational blogs, having taken pictures they have too little intelligence to dig out a useful story.
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by Winneygirl(f): 7:45pm On Sep 11, 2015
How is the company responsible for his allergic reaction? This is tragic quite alright. But as long as the components of the drug are right, side effects happen.
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by Bjergtrolde: 7:50pm On Sep 11, 2015
d33types:

Drugs. The usual sulphonamides...sulpa'pyrimeth, septrin..

I myself suffer a milder form (maculopapular rashes) in response to cotrimoxazole (septrin) and I still take it.even last week here.....stubborn me
It works for URTI cough for me that's why I am that stubborn

Am sure you're a doc too

Thanks Bro smiley
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by eyinjuege: 8:07pm On Sep 11, 2015
Every drugbhas side effects, and a lot of drugs can cause Steven Johnson Syndrome in a few people. That doesn't mean we'll stop using those drugs, or that the drugs are evil. Those same drugs have rather saved a lot of lives.
The man unfortunately fell into the 1% group that their immune system will go hay wire and cause such untoward reactions.
Hope he gets a speedy recovery.
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by DrObum(m): 8:34pm On Sep 11, 2015
Ishilove:

You know he has a point. Most, if not all the doctors I have met almost have to be forced to explain your ailment, and woes betides you if you dare ask them to explain the name of the drugs that they have scrawled in indecipherable letters on crisp slips of paper. Some time last year, one of them, an elderly man snapped at me for 'asking too many' questions. He refused to explain the ailment, and it was only after a year that a doctor here on Nairaland explained it to me. The drugs I took was a result of research work which I carried out on my own. This 'doctor' did not deem it fit to prescribe the right drugs for me.
I agree with you Boss!
Many doctors esp the elderly ones still carry the 'doctor knows best' attitude which was obtainable back then. However, things have changed and doctors are encouraged to explain and lay options open for the patient to choose what's best for him.

I know many people have had funny experiences but it ain't really fair that people would now band the whole profession as 'goofers' whereas we know that they're trying smiley
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by Ishilove: 8:39pm On Sep 11, 2015
DrObum:

I agree with you Boss!
Many doctors esp the elderly ones still carry the 'doctor knows best' attitude which was obtainable back then. However, things have changed and doctors are encouraged to explain and lay options open for the patient to choose what's best for him.

I know many people have had funny experiences but it ain't really fair that people would now band the whole profession as 'goofers' whereas we know that they're trying smiley
Well, they need to be retired then! Arrggghhh!! You can imagine my shock when I discovered what really ailed me. It was shocking and debilitating, and I was so angry. The man was like 'are you trying to teach me my job?'

"Hian, eskiz sir, not at all sir. Just explain what the fvck this test result is saying," said I. angry

However, you are right, we shouldn't villify Nigerian doctors considering the limited resources they have to work with.
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by ElPhoche(m): 9:14pm On Sep 11, 2015
Ishilove:

Well, they need to be retired then! Arrggghhh!! You can imagine my shock when I discovered what really ailed me. It was shocking and debilitating, and I was so angry. The man was like 'are you trying to teach me my job?'

"Hian, eskiz sir, not at all sir. Just explain what the fvck this test result is saying," said I. angry

However, you are right, we shouldn't villify Nigerian doctors considering the limited resources they have to work with.
There is a rationale behind every treatment that d doctor gives you. It is good that all patients should be informed about their sickness and treatment. It is their right. In fact fact I make it a duty to explain to my patients what is wrong with them and what I think is causing their problem. Take for example, a man who comes in with a swollen left testicle and complaining about d pain and that he cannot sleep at night. An examination revealed an enlarged prostate. He was trying to hurry me, but I calmed him, drew a drawing of d male urinary system and showed him that treating only d scrotal swelling without touching d prostate issue will still lead to recurrence, and showed him how his problem arose. He left a happy man. But explaining to every patient becomes difficult WHEN YOU HAVE TO ATTEND TO 100-150 PATIENTS, WHICH IS USUALLY THE CASE IN THE LARGER SECONDARY AND TERTIARY HOSPITALS.
You might think you made a right personal diagnosis, in fact, and still be right. But bear in mind that a group of symptoms can be explained by more than one disease. That's why we have what is called differential diagnosis. Thats where, d wealth of knowledge and experience of the doctor comes in.

1 Like

Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by Ishilove: 9:33pm On Sep 11, 2015
ElPhoche:

There is a rationale behind every treatment that d doctor gives you. It is good that all patients should be informed about their sickness and treatment. It is their right. In fact fact I make it a duty to explain to my patients what is wrong with them and what I think is causing their problem. Take for example, a man who comes in with a swollen left testicle and complaining about d pain and that he cannot sleep at night. An examination revealed an enlarged prostate. He was trying to hurry me, but I calmed him, drew a drawing of d male urinary system and showed him that treating only d scrotal swelling without touching d prostate issue will still lead to recurrence, and showed him how his problem arose. He left a happy man. But explaining to every patient becomes difficult WHEN YOU HAVE TO ATTEND TO 100-150 PATIENTS, WHICH IS USUALLY THE CASE IN THE LARGER SECONDARY AND TERTIARY HOSPITALS.
You might think you made a right personal diagnosis, in fact, and still be right. But bear in mind that a group of symptoms can be explained by more than one disease. That's why we have what is called differential diagnosis. Thats where, d wealth of knowledge and experience of the doctor comes in.
While I see your point and agree with it, the scenario you have explained does not apply to my case because the doctor was just not ready to speak for reasons best known to him.
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by ElPhoche(m): 9:34pm On Sep 11, 2015
Ishilove:

You might think you made a right personal diagnosis, in fact, and still be right. But bear in mind that a group of symptoms can be explained by more than one disease. That's why we have what is called differential diagnosis. Thats where, d wealth of knowledge and experience of the doctor comes in. You might want to retire d doctor, but medicine apart from being a science, is also an art. After d university, you start learning like an apprentice from the more senior doctors. You learn from their wealth of experience too. Medicine is like a craft, passed down from generation to generation.
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by piagetskinner(m): 9:37pm On Sep 11, 2015
OmG! This is serious.... May God heal him completely
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by ElPhoche(m): 9:43pm On Sep 11, 2015
Ishilove:

While I see your point and agree with it, the scenario you have explained does not apply to my case because the doctor was just not ready to speak for reasons best known to him.
Dear, all I am trying to say is that it ur right to know what your problem is and d aim of treatment. But sometimes, it is hard to.do thaat. I remember when I did my ophthalmology posting in Guinness Eye centre, in Onitsha. There would be like 7 doctors, attending to close to 200-300 patients per day, and the doctors are still expected to teach us. The consulting room. was very small hot, and crappy, and dark too, without AC. We would be like 20 students wt d doctor inside d room, attending to one patients who usually would be intimidated by the crowd. There, you dont explain much, because,if you try it. You will only end up attending to 30 out of 300per day. Sometimes, you have to be on d other side of the fence to understand. It is not all that rosy....
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by olajorn(m): 9:51pm On Sep 11, 2015
Have anybody here watch drug advertisement on CNN...I swear if u watch drug advertisement on international tv,You will Never use drug again
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by billyG(m): 9:51pm On Sep 11, 2015
Wetin concern GSK no be him ibo brother produce d fake drug angry angry
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by ElPhoche(m): 9:57pm On Sep 11, 2015
billyG:
Wetin concern GSK no be him ibo brother produce d fake drug angry angry
Where is this one coming from? We are trying to have an intelligent discussion here...

2 Likes

Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by kayalla(f): 10:15pm On Sep 11, 2015
i cant see the piture o angry
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by Averygoodheart: 10:16pm On Sep 11, 2015
Get your Adidas for footwear and IPHONES pouch! Add 33083427 on BB$$$$$$$$ to purchase yours!

Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by betterpikin(f): 10:52pm On Sep 11, 2015
Steven Johnson Syndrome(SJS) is usually caused by drugs that contain the sulphonamide group. Other drugs in this category are fansidar and septrin e.t.c. Some people react to the sulphonamide group and these people are as such prone to SJS when they take drugs that contain sulphonamides. The truth is until u take one of those drugs, u'll never know if u react. If u react to one, you'll probably react to all and the tendency to react is unpredictable and not genetic e.g in a family only one person may react so please spare gsk, all they needed to do was provide info that the drug contains sulphonamide and the doctor should also have asked if the patients react to sulphonamides but nonetheless even when you ask some patients they don't know because they've never used any of those drugs before. U never know until u try so I suggest for first time users, use it in small quantities first
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by twentycent(m): 8:23am On Sep 12, 2015
nwakaibeya1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmtSL76pTQc …>>Humanbeigns who have spiritual eyes listen to the utterance in this videos and they know it is TRUE but humanbeigns beign what theyy are will never accept the truth easily

Bia nwokem, are you a fool?? Do you have to be told to stop posting this in here?? Haven't you heard of Religion section Take kpa time gi ebahu nw.
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by Btruth: 11:41am On Sep 12, 2015
Maami Alaagbo, eya, Eyin ni ijo kan bayi. (Local herbs seller, it's time for you to shine).

Seriously, orthodox medicine is good, but will advice people to always encourage the use of our local herbs too. But most people detest the local herbs because of their bitterness. Mind you, sickness and illness does not equally like bitter things/herbs. There's no human sickness/illness that cannot be found a local herbs solution to in Nigeria. If it's not found in Youruba land, it will be in Ibo or Hausa land. So many herbal solution medicine in Igalaland in Kogi state when I visited there. We should tend to approach our locals herbs seller for advice too to most of the body ailments, and you will be surprised to see where God sometimes keeps some hiding treasures.

Don't quote me wrong, I'm not against the uses of orthodox drugs.
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by Samgreguc(m): 7:15pm On Sep 12, 2015
Ishilove:

So if the Physician or Pharmacist failed to educate the patient about the drug, were they also resourced limited?
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by donodion(m): 9:42pm On Sep 12, 2015
Please pay attention to the following
It started when Charles who worked with the UBA was posted to Burkina Faso and in his usual meticulous self visited a Cardiologist for a routine check.
-Patient mobilized on his own and not wheeled in.
They found out that his urea level was high
-yet a medication with side effect (or could cause) HAEMATURIA was prescribed
the drug Zyloric (manufactured by Glaxo Smithkline (GSK) Pharmaceuticals) was prescribed.
- who prescribed the medication?
However in less than 36 hours his life was turned into a living hell.
- Less than 2 days of taking medication as directed

As a healthcare provider, a self mobilizing client (or patient) on routine check up,however with abnormalties found in diagnostic test of say urine sample, what category of medication would you prescribe to treat or reverse abnormal findings?, step doses (such as effective, inexpensive, well-tolerated drugs that physicians regularly prescribe to treat common problems.) or High risk component medication with severe side effects such as Allopurinol?

Do you still assume no one should still blame having highlighted the scenario as above? shocked shocked shocked

CC Ehie, DrObum, Prothelly, bjrgtrolde, Ishilove, d33types, onatisi

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerian Tailors Making Face Masks And Overalls To Fight Coronavirus - CNN / Mysterious Disease In Benue, Nigeria Kills 15 People, Affects Over 100 / Elizabeth Amoah: Ghanaian Born With 2 Vaginas, 2 Wombs Opens Up On Condition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.