Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,965 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:43 AM

The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You (7403 Views)

Meaning Of G , E,H, H+,3G,4G And Their Maximum Download Speed Will Shock You / See The Origin Of The Name "Bluetooth" / 9 Things You Should Never Share On Social Media, No 5 Will Shock You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by GeniusDavid(m): 8:28pm On Sep 11, 2015
Its a popular cliche when receiving calls to start with the word " Hello". The word is said by billions of people on daily basis, But little have been said on how it originated. Well this Picture explains it.

3 Likes

Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by Vince77(m): 8:31pm On Sep 11, 2015
But dats nt wat i heard

3 Likes

Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by yoddy(m): 8:36pm On Sep 11, 2015
OP abeg check this link out.

That's the story me i know oo.. this one of Margaret bell get as e be oo

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/03/05/garden/great-hello-mystery-is-solved.html
Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by hummerwise(m): 8:43pm On Sep 11, 2015
HELLO!!!
AWAYU!!

am sure 'how are you' was the name of his sister

#shior

all this kain discovery wey no dey give person money

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by delishpot: 8:44pm On Sep 11, 2015
Yinmu
Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by Nobody: 10:29pm On Sep 11, 2015
Wow
Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by willian10: 10:39pm On Sep 11, 2015
I believe the answer above is not true. Bell's girlfriend on 1873 is Mabel Hubbard which he marries on 1877. The telephone was patented in 1876. BTW Mabel Hubbard is deaf. His father-in-law is one of the two financial backers for his invention.

6 Likes

Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by Nobody: 10:43pm On Sep 11, 2015
OP ala go kwa ASAI
Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by smartlunny: 10:55pm On Sep 11, 2015
hummerwise:
HELLO!!!
AWAYU!!

am sure 'how are you' was the name of his sister

#shior

all this kain discovery wey no dey give person money
smiley grin
Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by abdulhadi101(m): 11:29pm On Sep 11, 2015
No. This is a popular hoax on internet.

Mabel Hubbard was Bell's girlfriend who he later marries on 1877. The telephone was patented in 1876.

Graham Bell actually never used the term "hello" . The first call he made was to his assistant who was in the adjoining room and he said "Come-here. I want to see you."

The word "Hello" actually came from hola which meant to stop and pay attention. Alexander Bell preferred to use Ähoy"as in the ships those days which co-incidentally was misheard by Edison.

In 1877, Edison wrote to T.B.A. David, the president of the Central District and Printing Telegraph Company of Pittsburgh:
Friend David, I do not think we shall need a call bell as Hello! can be heard 10 to 20 feet away.
What you think? Edison - P.S. first cost of sender & receiver to manufacture is only $7.00.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by mjames: 11:51pm On Sep 11, 2015
Great revelation
Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by Idydarling(f): 12:57am On Sep 12, 2015
what about the word "goodbye"?
Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by seunlayi(m): 3:24am On Sep 12, 2015
I never knew I have been calling someone else wife name. sorry Bell for intruding

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by Warlord3000(m): 3:51am On Sep 12, 2015
Lots of balderdash theory
Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by OmichaelO: 4:20am On Sep 12, 2015
abdulhadi101:
No. This is a popular hoax on internet.

Mabel Hubbard was Bell's girlfriend who he later marries on 1877. The telephone was patented in 1876.

Graham Bell actually never used the term "hello" . The first call he made was to his assistant who was in the adjoining room and he said "Come-here. I want to see you."

The word "Hello" actually came from hola which meant to stop and pay attention. Alexander Bell preferred to use Ähoy"as in the ships those days which co-incidentally was misheard by Edison.

In 1877, Edison wrote to T.B.A. David, the president of the Central District and Printing Telegraph Company of Pittsburgh:
Friend David, I do not think we shall need a call bell as Hello! can be heard 10 to 20 feet away.
What you think? Edison - P.S. first cost of sender & receiver to manufacture is only $7.00.

This is the most correct statement

SOURCE: Internet and Big bang Theory (I have forgotten which episode though) Sheldon told Leonard and Howard I Think.

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by wordcat(m): 6:20am On Sep 12, 2015
And what is the origin of Bells
Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by excellencyabia1: 6:30am On Sep 12, 2015
what are we to believe now?
Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by Harvard13(m): 6:49am On Sep 12, 2015
i did not get shocked oh...hw many people got shocked abeg?
Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by niggi4life(m): 6:53am On Sep 12, 2015
Wow!!!! That's amazing!!! Never knew

Modified; @ Op, wrong information
Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by Nobody: 7:09am On Sep 12, 2015
Atigbo,next!
Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by Nobody: 7:11am On Sep 12, 2015
is dat sooo.wounderful
Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by guydangerous(m): 8:28am On Sep 12, 2015
Discovering indeed,am still waiting to see the first man who ate eba or first female to wear Brazilian hair
Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by CertifiedSamuel: 8:35am On Sep 12, 2015
Harvard13:

I didn't either.
Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by Qsscruz(m): 9:21am On Sep 12, 2015
Hello? Hi? What's is the origin of ''K'' used by Nigerian girls?
Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by Haywhymido(m): 9:25am On Sep 12, 2015
Sorry, it didnt
Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by lanxebony(m): 9:27am On Sep 12, 2015
Awkward moment when the op wanted to surprise us , but was caught by his own surprises. Pele ooo op

Get sense before posting trash here
Walk outta trend with shot- gun and chaplet. Praying to God and waiting to shoot dizzers
Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by Fundango: 9:32am On Sep 12, 2015
Harvard13:
grin
Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by kulobyno: 9:36am On Sep 12, 2015
Claims and counter claims. Op is booed. People can now easily look up facts and figures on the internet within seconds
Re: The Origin Of "Hello" Will Shock You by feran15(m): 10:14am On Sep 12, 2015
just because it is written on a picture and posted on the internet doesnt mean it is true

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can I Retrieve My Glo Number? / See Network Speed In The UK While We Celebrate Mediocre 1mb/s Over Here / Twitter Expands Display Name To 50 Characters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.