Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,974 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:51 AM

Easter In Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Easter In Nigeria (1368 Views)

Happy Easter 2015 Wishes, Messages, Quotes / Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) / Easter Monday: Pictures Of Lagos Carnival 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Easter In Nigeria by drrionelli(m): 6:40pm On Apr 07, 2009
Hello, my friends.  As we enter what some would certainly call the holiest of all seasons, allow me to ask:

How is Easter celebrated in Nigeria?  Certainly, the religious aspect is largely similar to other places, but what about traditions, both familial and cultural?

No doubt many of you will have interesting, colourful stories to share!   smiley
Re: Easter In Nigeria by drrionelli(m): 9:17pm On Apr 09, 2009
Nigerians are known for their faith. Surely, somebody has something to say with regard to the celebration of Easter. undecided
Re: Easter In Nigeria by dae(f): 7:04pm On Apr 10, 2009
Hello there again! lol -- hows the pidgin english going?? So so so, u wanna know about easter huh, well ONE thing for sure is we gonna go to church, then come back home and start the food galore. Lotsa families come together at this time, kinda like a mini-christmas period. We eat and eat and eat, watch movies, play music, u know, like a family reunion thing. The main thing is, we know the significance of easter and we pretty much are grateful that Christ offered himself as a sacrifice for our sake and then he rose up again!!! . But bottom line is, its a joyous moment which every chrisitian household celebrates.
this helps?  smiley
que faites-vous de ce Paques? avez-vous une famille ou vous etes? car je pense que je me souviens, vous avez dit quelque chose au sujet de votre famille au Canada. Puis-je demander la raison pour laquelle vous etes tres interesse par le Nigeria?  smiley
Re: Easter In Nigeria by drrionelli(m): 9:04pm On Apr 10, 2009
And, hello to you as well!  How delightful to encounter you, again!

Personally, I have a few relatives coming to visit.  We, too, will likely attend a church service (my sister is rather devout--I'm somewhat less so), and laugh about old times.  Indeed, we shall eat in festive celebration, as well. 

Why am I interested in Nigeria?  Several reasons, actually.  Nigeria is certainly a powerful nation (in many ways), and it has the potential to be even more so.  Unfortunately, it's a country about which I know so very little, in spite of its abundant riches of culture and people.  Sad to say, there has been much negative attention drawn to the country as a result of the scams that are so prevalent.  But, certainly, Nigerians in general should not be judged by these unscrupulous types.  Another sister of mine briefly dated a Nigerian fellow, and he spoke in fascinating terms of his homeland.  Also, as an American, I know that those in my country have been accused (often rightly so) of having a bit of arrogance with respect to our land.  I prefer to think of it as more of an "isolationist" mindset, if you will.  Semantics aside, I feel it to be restrictive.  I can better understand and respect the ways of others only if I endeavor to understand them.  And, I realize that it's an ongoing process.  I don't seek assimilation, but I do seek to learn.

So, rather than dismiss what I'm sure is a fine country on the whole, I have sought to learn a bit about this curious place we call Nigeria. 

(Sorry for the rambling reply!) embarassed
Re: Easter In Nigeria by dae(f): 9:46pm On Apr 10, 2009
unfortunately, i would agree with you. hopefully things get better there though. we are being optimistic anyways.
Re: Easter In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:52pm On Apr 10, 2009
Ohhhhhhhhh, I missed Easter in Naija.
Rem. when we used to go to "Galilee".
A place where everybody brings food and we all share and eat.
But we do sunday service first sha.

The best part is getting money grin grin
Dance and get money.

Carry food around to neighbors.
Dress and walk around, playing with the other kids.
I hated it when my granny used to cook rice and give the neighbor some, leaving the house with the bottom of the pot angry angry grin

Mehn, Easter in Naija was the bomb!! kiss kiss
Re: Easter In Nigeria by drrionelli(m): 6:14pm On Apr 13, 2009
"Dance and get money"??

OK, I can understand the "get money" part, but what is this "dance" about? Is there traditional dance that one does at Easter? Please, tell me about it! Does one do it in church? At celebrations elsewhere? At home? On the street?
Re: Easter In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:07am On Apr 15, 2009
drrionelli:

"Dance and get money"??

OK, I can understand the "get money" part, but what is this "dance" about? Is there traditional dance that one does at Easter? Please, tell me about it! Does one do it in church? At celebrations elsewhere? At home? On the street?
ashi grin grin'

Not what you're thinking.

Rem. the native dance? a group of ppl dancing and getting money on their forehead?
I think Nigeria recently made a law against that routine sha.

Celebrating is usually in "Galilie". Just an open place in a farm where they whole village could eat.
Small village sha.
Very nice celebration we usually have wink
Re: Easter In Nigeria by drrionelli(m): 11:36am On Apr 16, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

ashi grin grin'

Not what you're thinking.
Actually, I wasn't sure what this could have meant, or what it might be about. I was inquiring to determine what it was, rather than to confirm what it might (or might not) be. But, I certainly appreciate your input. What is this "Rem" of which you speak? And why is there a law against it?

I must say that I rather like the idea of taking food to the neighbors. How generous! And a community feast? What a delightful way to celebrate!
Re: Easter In Nigeria by dae(f): 8:44pm On Apr 16, 2009
drrionelli , you need to break loose and attend a nigerian party, i aint talkin' the hip-hop drop it like its hot party, i'm talking typical parties where you see those grown ass mommas tieing that thing on their head (its called gele), YOUR LIFE WILL NEVER REMAIN THE SAME AGAIN, I TELL YOU MY BROTHA!!!! you can dance and make some money in those parties actually!!! pretty cool huh!
Re: Easter In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:28am On Apr 18, 2009
drrionelli:

Actually, I wasn't sure what this could have meant, or what it might be about. I was inquiring to determine what it was, rather than to confirm what it might (or might not) be. But, I certainly appreciate your input. What is this "Rem" of which you speak? And why is there a law against it?

I must say that I rather like the idea of taking food to the neighbors. How generous! And a community feast? What a delightful way to celebrate!
LOL, are you Nigerian? cheesy
Most Nigerians are known for taking food to their neighbors etc.

Rem. = Remember wink
I think there's now a law against throwing Naira at people or pressing Nairas on people's head during a party. I think wink

It is (was) a delightful way to celebrate. But at the same time, we have to be careful of what we eat outside undecided
Re: Easter In Nigeria by Sissy3(f): 5:44am On Apr 18, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

I think there's now a law against throwing Naira at people or pressing Nairas on people's head during a party. I think wink

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked really?

i dnt think ghana pple does that either undecided
Re: Easter In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:36pm On Apr 19, 2009
~Sissy~:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked really?

i dnt think ghana pple does that either undecided
My assumption from the thread I readon politic section, about Obj getting arrested for doing so at a party
Re: Easter In Nigeria by drrionelli(m): 8:39pm On Apr 19, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

Most Nigerians are known for taking food to their neighbors etc.

Rem. = Remember wink

It is (was) a delightful way to celebrate. But at the same time, we have to be careful of what we eat outside undecided
No, I'm afraid I'm not Nigerian.  That's why I am so unlearned in the ways of Nigeria and its people.   embarassed

BUT, it's because of understanding people like yourself that I can learn.  And, for that, I thank you!
Re: Easter In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:43pm On Apr 19, 2009
You are very much welcome wink

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Language Etymology - Words And Their Origins / What Are The Etiquettes And Protocol In Receiving Vip Guests? / How Do I Convince My Igbo Husband To Teach Our Children Igbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.