Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,464 members, 7,816,088 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:49 AM

Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. - Business (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. (387817 Views)

7 Must-have Qualities If You Want To Succeed In Any Online Business / 7 Ultimate Ways To Succeed In Your Online Business!!!!! / Withdraw From Fiverr, Paypal, Upwork, Freelancer, Elance, With Confidence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (190) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by ubiquitousade(m): 11:07pm On Oct 05, 2015
paschu:

One of the keys to success as a freelance professional is SPECIALIZATION. This is true even if you are multi-talented. Trying to appear as jack of all threads will make potential clients percieve you as a master of none. The shocking truth is that both graphics design and writing are each too wide that hardly would you see a person who can master either in all of its facets. So your best bet is to FOCUS on the area that's your absolute best and for wich you are freaking passionate.

The rational of my drift is that serious specialization will make you a better freelancer and land you better contracts at the long run.

You can even specialize in serving a particular type of clients too. But that's a story for another day.

This is ON POINT ... FOCUS is the keyword.

Trying to do so many things at the same time will lead to frustration at the end. lack of focus made me quit last year as i was bidding for every available job from article writing to web design to graphic design to academic writing etc.

this is what every intending freelancer should know at the beginning. that is aside from getting the required skills.

5 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by ubiquitousade(m): 11:24pm On Oct 05, 2015
fxbot:
I saw a job last night but felt people wouldn't be online here to get in fast. In fact, there was no proposal when I saw it but within 30 minutes of my return it has 14.

thank you bro, i have not started yet though I have registered on these sites except for upwork.

do you use wordpress? i have sent you a pm
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by 01ghostmode: 5:56am On Oct 06, 2015
Who has registered on guru.com here? How's that side like?
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by edogho(m): 6:47am On Oct 06, 2015
@Victor, Fxbot and d other gurus here, sorry for not showing my appreciation by commenting, I like the mole approach (keeping shut and work)on things like this, just wanted to see results first...

but one question please, "offering WordPress services, is it just installing WordPress, WordFence and some plugins before handling it over to d clients?" or it includes inserting of contents and some more administrative work?

pls guys, more light on this.

thanks
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by ipain: 7:26am On Oct 06, 2015
edogho:
@Victor, Fxbot and d other gurus here, sorry for not showing my appreciation by commenting, I like the mole approach (keeping shut and work)on things like this, just wanted to see results first...

but one question please, "offering WordPress services, is it just installing WordPress, WordFence and some plugins before handling it over to d clients?" or it includes inserting of contents and some more administrative work?

thanks
yes and no. It depends on what clients want actually.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by fxbot: 7:29am On Oct 06, 2015
ubiquitousade:

thank you bro, i have not started yet though I have registered on these sites except for upwork.

do you use wordpress? i have sent you a pm
I didn't see any PM notification from you. Resend please.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by ollybode(m): 9:25am On Oct 06, 2015
Good day Paschu, this is ollybode the guy you want to help as regard article writing. I have sent you email, I have even sent you notice on your other thread also. Please I will be glad to see your critique base on the sample project you gave to me..[/quote]
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by edogho(m): 10:07am On Oct 06, 2015
ipain:
yes and no. It depends on what clients want actually.

I guess clients want tins differently, guess adding and organizing contents and modules will b incurring more...

thanks
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by paschu: 12:43pm On Oct 06, 2015
ollybode:
Good day Paschu, this is ollybode the guy you want to help as regard article writing. I have sent you email, I have even sent you notice on your other thread also. Please I will be glad to see your critique base on the sample project you gave to me..

Sorry dear. I've been pretty busy. I sent you an email a while back though. I'd get in touch with you soon. Keep it up.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by paschu: 1:06pm On Oct 06, 2015
edogho:

thanks

Wordpress services sound quite generic to me. But I do know that some of the most sought after and highest paid freelancers are WorPress Developers. If you want to play in this niche, getting geeky might be the entry ticket.

I'm talking about breathing HTML/CSS day and night. Eating Javascript for breakfast. Downing PHP for lunch. And greedily gulping JQuery and even some Python or Ajax for dinner.

No, you don't need to know all these stuff before you start. They are here just as relevant points to give you some good headsup on what's ahead on the route to becoming an efficient Worpress Developer.

But then, once in a while, you may run into a few blog network owners or operators who might need help setting up some more Worpress driven sites and getting some plugins integrated into them. This is not my niche though, but I doubt you'd find this kind of gigs very often. Reason being that Wordpress is designed to be so user friendly and easy to get set up. Thus, virtually ANYONE and their puppies can easily install and run it successfully with just a little reading on the web.

But few people, I mean very few, would know (or even dare to learn) how to customize a WP site, mess confidently with its source files, and make it look and behave differently from the generic pack. This is where and why WP Developers are so needed rght now.

2 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by paschu: 1:18pm On Oct 06, 2015
edogho:

thanks

Another way to look at it is to call yourself a Wordpress Administrator or Wordpress Integrator. Both are different scopes.

Administration may include integration but integration may not include administration.

Administration talks about installation and day to day running of (especially) the BASIC technical side of the site. But integration entails EXAPANDING the core functionality of the site by integrating thirdparty plugins into it.

2 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Geofavor(m): 2:16pm On Oct 06, 2015
paschu:

@Geofavor I don't know about phone, but with a tab you can do a lot. When I started, I actually borrowed a friend's laptop for months, but never used it much for the contracts I did. Even right now I rarely use my laptop except for few heavy projects. Don't get me wrong, having a laptop is very crucial, but you can start effectively as a writer without it.

PRO TIP: If you don't have a laptop, focus on submitting proposals for FIXED PAY contract options. With that you can work at your own pace without the need for Upwork time tracker wich requires a PC for local installation. The flip side of this is that you won't have hourly rating which helps to enhance your profile stregnth. But does it really matter when you're just starting out? Yes it does, but not much if you get enough fixed contracts fast enough and raise capital to buy a laptop.

PRO TIP: Some clients might even allow you to do hourly jobs at your convinience and log the time manually. In this case the hourly contract is done without the time tracker.This is rare though. May not happen when you're just starting out.

The point is that you can start small and grow big. Yes, I started at a very small level without my own laptop, but right now by God's grace I am one of the very few Nigrian freelancers with a TOP RATED badge on Upwork. Those who work at Upwork would know what it means. So please do not limit yourself. Your life can change pretty soon if you commit to pretty hard work from where you are now.
thanks bro, I'm really greatful for this info.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by vivoge(f): 2:20pm On Oct 06, 2015
Pls gurus in the house, Is it advisable to forward a sample business plan to a prospective client? He wants to see my previous work. Need advise.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Ezennaemeka1(m): 2:37pm On Oct 06, 2015
mrhansome12:
I need physical training especially from those living in Anambra and Enugu I dont mind the pay

I stay in anambra. Contact me on 08060715532 (whatsapp only)
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by fxbot: 4:16pm On Oct 06, 2015
paschu:

Another way to look at it is to call yourself a Wordpress Administrator or Wordpress Integrator. Both are different scopes.

Administration may include integration but integration may not include administration.

Administration talks about installation and day to day running of (especially) the BASIC technical side of the site. But integration entails EXAPANDING the core functionality of the site by integrating thirdparty plugins into it.
become a developer and solve your problem. I am going to be engaging in css, html. Just holding to fix my Internet problem.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by paschu: 4:38pm On Oct 06, 2015
Geofavor:

thanks bro, I'm really greatful for this info.

It's my pleasure bro. You're totally welcome.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by edogho(m): 4:41pm On Oct 06, 2015
paschu:

Wordpress services sound quite generic to me. But I do know that some of the most sought after and highest paid freelancers are WorPress Developers. If you want to play in this niche, getting geeky might be the entry ticket.

I'm talking about breathing HTML/CSS day and night. Eating Javascript for breakfast. Downing PHP for lunch. And greedily gulping JQuery and even some Python or Ajax for dinner.

No, you don't need to know all these stuff before you start. They are here just as relevant points to give you some good headsup on what's ahead on the route to becoming an efficient Worpress Developer.

But then, once in a while, you may run into a few blog network owners or operators who might need help setting up some more Worpress driven sites and getting some plugins integrated into them. This is not my niche though, but I doubt you'd find this kind of gigs very often. Reason being that Wordpress is designed to be so user friendly and easy to get set up. Thus, virtually ANYONE and their puppies can easily install and run it successfully with just a little reading on the web.

But few people, I mean very few, would know (or even dare to learn) how to customize a WP site, mess confidently with its source files, and make it look and behave differently from the generic pack. This is where and why WP Developers are so needed rght now.
d bolded is where I want to lay my tent, I don't av time for administrative work o, not now @ least.

Thanks n one love
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by paschu: 5:01pm On Oct 06, 2015
vivoge:
Pls gurus in the house, Is it advisable to forward a sample business plan to a prospective client? He wants to see my previous work. Need advise.

@Vivoge, there two things I think you should consider in this case:

1) Ask yourself some basic questions

Is this sample business plan you talk about yours? Is it real, as in is it really something you plan to execute in the future? Does it contain any special trade secret that you don't want out? Is this potential client likely to constitute a competition in the near future? What is the worst thing that would happen if you let the public see this business plan? Is winning the contract more beneficial to you than avoiding the worst case scenario that may result from exposing the business plan?

Your answers to the above questions may point you in the right direction.

2) Don't cross the terms of your previous contract

If the businessplan is something you did for another client in the past, you may NOT have rights to use it as a sample project. At least not without a clear permission from the rightful owner - in this case, the person that PAID you to do it.

PRO TIP: The best thing (IF YOU ARE JUST STARTING OUT) is to do a custom business plan along the line of the idea this potential client must have expressed in his brief (if the time would permit it). The good thing about this (even if the potential client does not hire you) is that you can now have something to easily showcase in your portfolio and use as sample in future proposals.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by paschu: 5:06pm On Oct 06, 2015
edogho:

d bolded is where I want to lay my tent, I don't av time for administrative work o, not now @ least.

Thanks n one love

You're welcome bro. Go for it. Naija is long overdue to rule Upwork in terms skill and excellent work. I dream to see it happen pretty soon. Goodluck dear.

1 Like

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by paschu: 7:16pm On Oct 06, 2015
For those requesting information on the type of skills that are needed at Upwork, here you go:

I hope the image is visible enough

1 Share

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by ollybode(m): 8:24pm On Oct 06, 2015
I like you writing style. thanks for helping out sir.
paschu:

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by paschu: 9:17pm On Oct 06, 2015
ollybode:
I like you writing style. thanks for helping out sir.

You're welcome dear. Don't worry, I'd soon email you an update.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by vivoge(f): 10:33pm On Oct 06, 2015
paschu:

@Vivoge, there two things I think you should consider in this case:

1) Ask yourself some basic questions

Is this sample business plan you talk about yours? Is it real, as in is it really something you plan to execute in the future? Does it contain any special trade secret that you don't want out? Is this potential client likely to constitute a competition in the near future? What is the worst thing that
would happen if you let the public see this business plan? Is winning the contract more beneficial to you than avoiding the worst case scenario that may result from exposing the business plan?

Your answers to the above questions may point you in the right direction.

2) Don't cross the terms of your previous contract

If the business plan is something you did for another client in the past, you may NOT have rights to use it as a sample project. At least not without a clear permission from the rightful owner - in this case, the person that PAID you to do it.

PRO TIP: The best thing (IF YOU ARE JUST STARTING OUT) is to do a custom business plan along the line of the idea this potential client must have expressed in his brief (if the time would permit it). The good thing about this (even if the potential client does not hire you) is that you can now have something to easily showcase in your portfolio and use as a sample in future proposals.

Thanks a lot for this wonderful piece of advise. It has saved me a great deal.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by paschu: 1:03am On Oct 07, 2015
vivoge:

Thanks a lot for this wonderful piece of advise. It has saved me a great deal.

You are welcome dear. All the best.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by victor247: 6:40am On Oct 07, 2015
I need a working simple server settings. Pls let anyone who's got this push it to my mail......charlesvictor247@gmail.com.
Thanks in advance!
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by fxbot: 6:47am On Oct 07, 2015
victor247:
I need a working simple server settings. Pls let anyone who's got this push it to my mail......charlesvictor247@gmail.com.
Thanks in advance!
mine is no longer working o.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Mcslize: 6:54am On Oct 07, 2015
paschu:

You can do a lot with a tab. That's what I started with. I still find myself using my tab over 90% of the time up till now. But I'm a writer though. Tab may not work for designers and programmers, or virtual assistants.

Hi Bro, which of the freelancer site do u run as a writer and what app do u make use of for ur writing?

1 Like

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by 01ghostmode: 9:42am On Oct 07, 2015
Hi guys, on upwork, if u finish d first 40 connects given to you. how do u greet another one?
Thanks.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by fxbot: 9:55am On Oct 07, 2015
01ghostmode:
Hi guys, on upwork, if u finish d first 40 connects given to you. how do u greet another one?
Thanks.
you pay $10 per month.

I was given 60 connect
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by paschu: 10:14am On Oct 07, 2015
Mcslize:

Hi Bro, which of the freelancer site do u run as a writer and what app do u make use of for ur writing?

Upwork is the only freelance platform I'm using.

I do most of my writings with ColorNote ( a free android plain text app),
thereafter, I convert them to Ms Word or TXT files using WPS Office (another free
android app that's just like Ms Office suite). I also write on Markdown using
the plain text editor, but I usually preview the syntax on Writely Pro (another free adroid
app for Markdown editing and live preview).

NOTE: I seriously reccommend that you should use www.grammarly.com to review and edit your text to ensure topnotch grammar and style. The WPS Office does not have any GRAMMAR checker, and even the spell checker it has is not efficient at all. That's why I use ColorNote most of the times. But that one too can only check for misspellings BUT NOT GRAMMAR.

UPDATE

For those who may not afford the premium feature at grammarly.com you may check out this totally free (no need to signup) alternative: http://www.hemingwayapp.com

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by G12(m): 10:46am On Oct 07, 2015
paschu:

Upwork is the only freelance platform I'm using.

I do most of my writings with ColorNote ( a free android plain text app),
thereafter, I convert them to Ms Word or TXT files using WPS Office (another free
android app that's just like Ms Office suite). I also write on Markdown using
the plain text editor, but I usually preview the syntax on Writely Pro (another free adroid
app for Markdown editing and live preview).

Bros, thanks for the inputs here.

I do my freelancing job as a writer on Fiverr and registered on Upwork as a graphics designer. I wanted to approach that niche using the arbitrage system, i.e I get jobs fromUpwork and outsource on Fiverr for lesser amount. Honestly, I've never won a project there. I've actually been busy with other things at the moment, hence the lack of concentration to submit proposals.

I've been thinking twice lately. Maybe I should just focus on writing at Upwork too. One thing that really makes Fiverr unique is the "buyer meeting seller" it is reputable for. Sometimes, I wake up in the morning to see orders without the client sending a message first not to talk of me bidding.

Since you're a writer at UPWORK, I'd like to find out a few things from you. Is the demand for writers high? How easy is it to get clients? What is the average rate you charge for your writing?

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (190) (Reply)

Youwin Business Competition 2013 / Simple Secret Of Buying Stuff At Idumota Market Lagos / Making Regular Income Publishing Amazon Kindle Ebooks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.