Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,462 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:02 AM

Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? (3863 Views)

Samsung Galaxy A5 UK Used / Samsung Galaxy A5 Real Full Specification Review - 2017 / Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017): The New Makeover Of A Mid-range Smartphone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by donhils: 11:53am On Sep 13, 2015
Samsung galaxy A5 according to the spec sheet is a midrange metal clad 5 incher from Samsung. I haven't used the device anyways but I love the sight of it as it looks really beautiful.
Do you own the device or know anyone who does? What are the pros and cons pls? Interested in the double SIM variant.
Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by Bamjazzy(m): 12:01pm On Sep 13, 2015
i use A3, and am enjoying it
Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by donhils: 12:37pm On Sep 13, 2015
Bamjazzy:
i use A3, and am enjoying it
Is it dual SIM? Does it lag?
Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by Jaycool18(m): 8:39pm On Sep 13, 2015
i use a5
Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by Craven: 9:20pm On Sep 13, 2015
The Dual SIM variant is tricky. You get only two slots. One slot for your first SIM card, and the second slot for either your second SIM card or a memory card; you cannot use both at the same time. So it is either you use two SIM cards and forgo using a memory card, or you use one SIM card and a memory card and forgo using a second SIM card.

The Dual SIM version also lacks NFC connectivity and does not support LTE or 4G.
Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by Bamjazzy(m): 11:09pm On Sep 13, 2015
yea, it dual
Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by donhils: 8:21am On Sep 14, 2015
Jaycool18:
i use a5
How's the experience? Battery, performance, is it snappy or lags like other Samsung phones, can it play high graphics games like Asphalt 8, fifa 15, dead trigger, zombie highway 2 etc?
Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by donhils: 8:22am On Sep 14, 2015
Craven:
The Dual SIM variant is tricky. You get only two slots. One slot for your first SIM card, and the second slot for either your second SIM card or a memory card; you cannot use both at the same time. So it is either you use two SIM cards and forgo using a memory card, or you use one SIM card and a memory card and forgo using a second SIM card.

The Dual SIM version also lacks NFC connectivity and does not support LTE or 4G.
Hmm that's not good. Do you use the phone?
Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by Craven: 9:08am On Sep 14, 2015
donhils:

Hmm that's not good. Do you use the phone?

No. I read about the A series some time ago. It's the same thing with the Galaxy A3. You should check out the Galaxy J7 though. It doesn't come with a metal unibody like the A5, but it is bigger and has pretty good features. Cheaper, too (N48,000). Although I think it has the same SIM/microSD slot problem.
Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by donhils: 9:14am On Sep 14, 2015
Craven:

No. I read about the A series some time ago. It's the same thing with the Galaxy A3. You should check out the Galaxy J7 though. It doesn't come with a metal unibody like the A5, but it is bigger and has pretty good features. Cheaper, too (N48,000). Although I think it has the same SIM/microSD slot problem.
Any plastic phone from Samsung is a no go area fo me.

1 Like

Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by Craven: 9:46am On Sep 14, 2015
donhils:

Any plastic phone from Samsung is a no go area fo me.

Because the Galaxy J7 is clad in plastic doesn't mean it doesn't have good features.

The Galaxy A series are all mid-range devices and are all clad in metal. But does that make them better than the S5 or the Note Series that were previously clad in plastic?

The only thing the A series does it to appeal to those who cannot afford high-end phones but wish to use a device with a premium feel.

If you take time to read about the Galaxy J7, you'll realize it offers more than the Galaxy A5.

The J7 comes with Android Lollipop out of the box, unlike the A5 that comes with KitKat although can be upgraded by the user to Lollipop.

Advantages of the Galaxy J7 over the A5:

It has a bigger battery, 3000mAh (A5 - 2300mAh)
Snapdragon 615 chipset (A5 - Snapdragon 410)
Octa-core processor (A5 - Quad-core)
Faster CPU at 1.5GHz (A5 - 1.2GHz)
Expandable memory up to 128GB (A5 - 64GB)

The only cons of the J7 include:

A smaller RAM at 1.5GB (A5 - 2GB)
No NFC support
No Corning Gorilla Glass
Clad in plastic (which isn't a problem if you don't mind)

Similarities, amongst other things, include:

Same front and back camera
Same AMOLED display

The Galaxy J7 is still rated highly than the Galaxy A5. The A5 is expensive only because of it's metal body, not because of its features. Take away the metal and you have a N44,000 phone (same as the E5 which is often called a watered-down version of the A5).

1 Like

Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by donhils: 9:49am On Sep 14, 2015
Craven:

Because the Galaxy J7 is clad in plastic doesn't mean it doesn't have good features.

The Galaxy A series are all mid-range devices and are all clad in metal. But does that make them better than the S5 or the Note Series that were previously clad in plastic?

The only thing the A series does it to appeal to those who cannot afford high-end phones but wish to use a device with a premium feel.

If you take time to read about the Galaxy J7, you'll realize it offers more than the Galaxy A5.

The J7 comes with Android Lollipop out of the box, unlike the A5 that comes with KitKat although can be upgraded by the user to Lollipop.

Advantages of the Galaxy J7 over the A5:

It has a bigger battery, 3000mAh (A5 - 2300mAh)
Snapdragon 615 chipset (A5 - Snapdragon 410)
Octa-core processor (A5 - Quad-core)
Faster CPU at 1.5GHz (A5 - 1.2GHz)
Expandable memory up to 128GB (A5 - 64GB)

The only cons of the J7 include:

A smaller RAM at 1.5GB (A5 - 2GB)
No NFC support
No Corning Gorilla Glass
Clad in plastic (which isn't a problem if you don't mind)

Similarities, amongst other things, include:

Same front and back camera
Same AMOLED display

The Galaxy J7 is still rated highly than the Galaxy A5. The A5 is expensive only because of it's metal body, not because of its features. Take away the metal and you have a N44,000 phone (same as the E5 which id often called a watered-down version of the A5.
Wow, I think you should market for the J series.
Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by Jaycool18(m): 5:10pm On Sep 14, 2015
donhils:

How's the experience? Battery, performance, is it snappy or lags like other Samsung phones, can it play high graphics games like Asphalt 8, fifa 15, dead trigger, zombie highway 2 etc?
slow down Bro...d battery life is good and yes it can handle those games m currently playing gta sa
Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by donhils: 9:42pm On Sep 21, 2015
Jaycool18:
slow down Bro...d battery life is good and yes it can handle those games m currently playing gta sa
You mean you play Grand theft auto (San Andreas) with A5? With that Adreno 306 Gpu? How does it handle it?
Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by vanmusco(m): 9:52pm On Sep 21, 2015
The fone gets very hot at times. cool fone but pls read lots of reviews so as to mske good decisions.
Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by Jaycool18(m): 11:42am On Sep 23, 2015
donhils:

You mean you play Grand theft auto (San Andreas) with A5? With that Adreno 306 Gpu? How does it handle it?
smooth nd fyn
Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by Oyetboy(m): 5:04pm On Sep 23, 2015
Where can I get Samsung Galaxy j7?
Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by Bratking(m): 5:54pm On Sep 23, 2015
The A5 reminds me of Infinix Zero: pretty and visually stunning on the outside, but lacking exponentially on the inside. Poor battery life, poor processing speed, mediocre processor and archaic gpu. If you're an hardcore mobile gamer, you would be better served by staying away.

1 Like

Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by donhils: 6:27pm On Sep 23, 2015
Bratking:
The A5 reminds me of Infinix Zero: pretty and visually stunning on the outside, but lacking exponentially on the inside. Poor battery life, poor processing speed, mediocre processor and archaic gpu. If you're an hardcore mobile gamer, you would be better served by staying away.
Yea it has low end processor but it's quite capable. Plus A5 doesn't have poor battery life.
Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by Bratking(m): 6:48pm On Sep 23, 2015
donhils:

Yea it has low end processor but it's quite capable. Plus A5 doesn't have poor battery life.

Any battery below 2500mAh 'MUST' be considered poor.

1 Like

Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Sep 23, 2015
Bratking:

Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by Craven: 9:51pm On Sep 23, 2015
Oyetboy:
Where can I get Samsung Galaxy j7?

Really?
Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by Craven: 9:53pm On Sep 23, 2015
Bratking:

Battery size and battery life are two entirely different things. You seem to be mixing the two up. Battery life is not dependent on battery capacity/size, but on how the phone itself performs.

3 Likes

Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by Oyetboy(m): 10:08pm On Sep 23, 2015
Craven:

Really?
couldn't find any details about it on the internet, and I heard it's not yet in Nigeria
Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by Craven: 10:20pm On Sep 23, 2015
Oyetboy:
couldn't find any details about it on the internet, and I heard it's not yet in Nigeria

It is. I saw it at a Samsung Mobile Experience Store a couple of days ago. It's not a bad looking device. You should check it out when you have the time and play with it.

Can I say something though? Next time, Google the contact number of a Samsung Mobile Experience Store near you and make enquiries about the availability of any device you wish to purchase. That way, you get firsthand information without having to come here.
Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by donhils: 10:54pm On Sep 23, 2015
Bratking:

Who set the standard of 2500mah? It's all about optimization. I have LG G3 with 3000mah battery, yet the battery isn't so good.

1 Like

Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by Nobody: 11:33pm On Sep 23, 2015
donhils:

Who set the standard of 2500mah? It's all about optimization. I have LG G3 with 3000mah battery, yet the battery isn't so good.

Chipset , OS and skin
Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by Bratking(m): 11:35pm On Sep 23, 2015
Craven:

Battery size and battery life are two entirely different things. You seem to be mixing the two up. Battery life is not dependent on battery capacity/size, but on how the phone itself performs.

It's all about the chip, yeah, but when a device is powered by low-end s410 chipset, then there is no hope for any credible optimization.. the battery life would hence become deplorable to say the least.
Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by Bratking(m): 11:50pm On Sep 23, 2015
donhils:

The problem isn't with the battery (3000mAh should be mighty powerful on the right device) but rather with your phone's power hungry Quad HD display. The S801 chipset can't do sh*t when a PPI so thick and dense and of LCD in origin tries to hijack everything. Little wonder the UI tends to lag more often than what could be considered as normal.

Anyhoo, any battery with a capacity that exceeds 2500mAh is generally considered a powerful battery.
Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by Craven: 6:46am On Sep 24, 2015
Bratking:

The problem isn't with the battery (3000mAh should be mighty powerful on the right device) but rather with your phone's power hungry Quad HD display. The S801 chipset can't do sh*t when a PPI so thick and dense and of LCD in origin tries to hijack everything. Little wonder the UI tends to lag more often than what could be considered as normal.

Anyhoo, any battery with a capacity that exceeds 2500mAh is generally considered a powerful battery.

When you say 'generally' how many people do you speak for? Because donhils just said the 3000mAh on his LG G3 isn't so good.
Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 Anyone??? by Bratking(m): 7:11am On Sep 24, 2015
Craven:

When you say 'generally' how many people do you speak for? Because donhils just said the 3000mAh on his LG G3 isn't so good.

Like I said earlier, his battery would perform admirably in a device without a power gulping QHD screen resolution of LCD extraction. GS6 has a battery capacity of just 2500mAh but had the advantage of having an Amoled screen technology that doesn't task on the battery life like any it's counterparts (Triluminious, Retina, and Super LCD).

(1) (2) (Reply)

USA Used Mint Iphone Xs Max 64GB / Unlimited Chatting For One Year!!! / A Review Of Pixel 2 XL. ( All Hail D King! All Hail D King!!)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.