Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,825 members, 7,813,712 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:52 PM

APC And Buhari Have No Economic Blueprint-john Okiyi Kalu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / APC And Buhari Have No Economic Blueprint-john Okiyi Kalu (1110 Views)

Ohanaeze Sets Up Committee To Design Economic Blueprint For Ndigbo / World Bank, IMF Put Pressure On Buhari To Come Up With Economic Blueprint / Buhari Has No Economic Policy – Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

APC And Buhari Have No Economic Blueprint-john Okiyi Kalu by agabaI23(m): 10:07pm On Sep 13, 2015
This is how PDP supporters criticize. The tell you why it is wrong and they offer an alternative.
Recall that throughout the campaign, APC was dishing out what was wrong and promises to to make them right but when asked how they would go about it, they would tell you that GEJ was corrupt instead of answering the question. Buhari tactically avoided avenues where he would be asked to explain how he would achieve his promises.

See what John said on his wall
"Tumbo tumbo" is not an alternative to an integrated economic blueprint
The need for accountability and transparency make compelling case for treasury single account (TSA) in my view. Ordinarily I support TSA because I believe that absence of accountability and transparency lead to looting impunity. Looting impunity in turn deny the masses development resources and create Demi-gods whose best hard work credentials begin and end with unrestrained access to public funds. I make bold to state that not more that 5% of the top 100 billionaires in Nigeria made it without direct or indirect access to stolen public funds.
But there is more to economic management than just focusing on a single issue without consideration to related socio-economic fall outs.
Some time in August, a friend sent me a short message to the effect that the current federal government does not have an economic blueprint yet. He confided that consultants were currently being hired to generate some document that will serve the purpose of an economic blueprint, albeit it surreptitiously. When I called him up to understand how that can be possible given that we are just coming through with an intense presidential election campaign he mentioned someone we both know in USA as one of those working on the new document and concluded the conversation with "JOK it appears APC was not prepared for government but only focused on using propaganda to snatch power from Jonathan".
Knowing that my friend is a Jonathan supporter I decided to file away the information in one corner of my brain and keep my eyes open to read corroborative information before running with the "gossip". Not more that 2 weeks after, CBN supplied the corroborative information through their post Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) report. According to the CBN, absence of fiscal policy guideline is hurting the economy and reversing economic growth. In the report CBN stated that ‘’the drivers of the current upward inflationary spiral were of a transient nature and mostly outside the direct control of monetary policy. Consequently, the opportunity for further policy manoeuvre remains largely constrained in the absence of supporting fiscal measures’’.
The bottom line is that an economic blueprint on the table would have helped to fashion out appropriate policy direction (including fiscal guidelines) that will drive economic activities even at the micro level. It's absence can only mean "tumbo tumbo economic management". That will surely frustrate professional managers of the economy, including the Folks at CBN.
In his address at ICAN's 50th anniversary celebration, Vice President Osibanjo alluded to an economic blueprint but betrayed it's non existence when he said that while some of the economic blueprint had already been put in place by the Buhari administration, including the bailout package for the workers in the country, others were currently being worked out. You either have a blueprint ready or you don't. In summary, the government is likely still developing an economic blueprint.
To further buttress the information from my friend, recently presidential spokesman Femi Adesina pointedly disowned the APC campaign leaflet that contained information that looked like extracts from an economic blueprint. He said APC leaders where promising whatever they wished without necessarily getting the buy in of the President during the campaigns. Of course if there was a blueprint endorsed by the President party leaders and publicists could rightly have extracted populists items from the plan and run with it. What Mr Adesina said amounted to confirming that APC and her supporters were engaged in political seduction and deception to get the votes gullible Nigerians. There was no written plan on how to run the economy if they win. Sad!
Last week we read about the sack of thousands of commercial banks staff across the nation, ostensibly because the new TSA directive by the President is impacting on commercial bank's revenue. Observers like me believe it is just the beginning and ultimately will spread to other areas of the economy. In no time telecommunication companies, manufacturing outfits and others will retrench too. The economy is interlinked in such a way that this outcome does not qualify to be a prediction. It is simply a reality waiting to manifest, if nothing is done urgently.
Banks lend to telecommunication companies and others from their short and long term deposits. With TSA they will lose a major chunk of their loanable funds, especially as many states gear up to copy from the Federal Government and implement TSA. The only way they can continue lending same volumes will be to draw from their shareholder funds. That is why many of them are keeping recapitalization as a survival option.
In effect we would have solved the need for transparency and accountability while also enlarging the coast of the twin monsters of unemployment and business failures. Unemployment leads to increase in crime rate and increase in crime leads to increased security spending and chase away investors. As a leader of a political party that promised 1.14 million new jobs, President Buhari will end up losing thousands of good jobs and may be later create "keke Napep commercial transport jobs". The gullible public will read about "100,000 new jobs created through Buhari regime's empowerment scheme" and clap for Sai Baba and APC. Do I need to state that one bank job is worth more than 100 keke Napep empowerment jobs? We will also later read: "America sells $10b arms to Nigeria to combat crimes" and we will clap some more.
The cycle continues: tumbo tumbo economic policy creating criminals out of our youths and we buy arms and ammunitions from America to kill our youths who helplessly engaged in crimes as a result of our economic management failures.
Uwa ntoor situation!!
I am possibly not the only person that is worried about the absence of an integrated economic plan or blueprint but I know that the strong economic voices will not speak out now to avoid losing considerations for plum jobs or being blackmailed with media trials by Cape Verde energized economic czar, Adam Oshiomole. May be at the twilight of this regime they will take up hours on ChannelsTV to pontificate in their usual post mortem analysis aimed at positioning for the next available political appointment.
Here is what I think the Buhari regime can do to rescue the banking industry, save jobs and still achieve transparency and accountability. Designate special CBN linked accounts for the commercial banks receiving treasury funds that can be monitored realtime by CBN. That should help CBN update inflows as they come and where funds are not updated as required the government in liaison with CBN will sanction the bank with very heavy charges and corruption trial for the directors. This suggestion is premised on my assumption that the issue of accountability and transparency arose as a result of weak monitoring. We don't want to bail out banks with trillions tomorrow o.
The alternative suggestion is to holistically strengthen transactions monitoring capacity of the CBN and banks to provide an institutional solution as against knee jerk tumbo tumbo solutions. Make it impossible for banks to hide treasury receipts and ensure CBN is updated.
There is also a compelling need to urgently put aside politics and summon APC economic experts to sit down and develop an economic blueprint for the government to implement. If we do not have good enough economic heads within the ranks of APC then look across the aisle and recruit PDP leaning economic experts. All of them are Nigerians and you are presiding over Nigeria. The President of Nigeria is not a political party chairman even though elected on the ticket of a political party. A good economic blueprint will link social welfare to economic policies and stop us from solving one problem by creating more problems. Social welfare, especially provision of good jobs, will definitely reduce security challenges and plough back the security budgets to development needs.
The worry is that President Buhari still appears inclined towards 1984 solutions to Nigeria's 2015 problems. (No wonder he is re-hiring his 1984 associates and loyalists.) Just like in 1984, rumors of sudden change of our currency colors to hurt those who stole and stashed away our money are rife again. May be the President is not aware that the modern looter saves in dollars and hence Mr President will not hurt him by changing color of Naira notes. The president obviously lacks the power to change the color of dollar notes.
But we can use good transaction monitoring softwares to see every kobo that entered and left the banking system since 1999. All the looters used Naira to buy dollars and you only need to follow the Naira trail to reach the stashed away dollars. Even where state governments paid for real or fake transactions in dollars, like in the Amaechi's Rivers expose by AIT, there is always a Naira component that you can trace through the banking system.
Global rating agencies are already worried about Nigeria. Automatically, other global financial institutions will also take note of our tumbo tumbo economic management style alongside their controlling western governments. At some point we will need foreign funds to survive, especially as oil prospects continue to look more and more bleak. Even with the best tumbo tumbo economic fixes we cannot balance our budget any time soon without risking massive social upheavals. Will donors and lenders agree to give us the necessary funds to stay afloat while searching for alternative revenue sources to oil? Greece beckons.
Where is the blueprint that will point us to the revenue diversification plan of the government? Or are we going to feed hungry masses that we promised heaven on earth with "accountability and transparency"? Whether we like it or not, by this time next year the people will be restive if nothing is done to guarantee their stomach infrastructure.
Those losing scarce jobs at banks will soon join the criminal cycle of doom to survive. Let us not collectively offer them bullets by refusing to do the needful now. Look for alternative policies that preserves and add jobs while meeting the need for accountability and transparency.
Make ihe O gwara O.....Happy Sunday to umu Chineke.
JOK
https://www./igboville/permalink/882736268447878/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC And Buhari Have No Economic Blueprint-john Okiyi Kalu by Asito(m): 10:11pm On Sep 13, 2015
agabaI23:
This is how PDP supporters criticize. The tell you why it is wrong and they offer an alternative.
Recall that throughout the campaign, APC was dishing out what was wrong and promises to to make them right but when asked how they would go about it, they would tell you that GEJ was corrupt instead of answering the question. Buhari tactically avoided avenues where he would be asked to explain how he would achieve his promises.
See what John said on his wall
https://www./igboville/permalink/882736268447878/
forget all this long talk, I coud'nt agree more with the heading. which brings this thread to mind- https://www.nairaland.com/2590889/see-what-happening-nigerias-economy
Re: APC And Buhari Have No Economic Blueprint-john Okiyi Kalu by fergus0n: 10:13pm On Sep 13, 2015
Will waitinq 4 NL party thugs. Throws mat en sips my oriji

Next!!!
Re: APC And Buhari Have No Economic Blueprint-john Okiyi Kalu by agabaI23(m): 10:22pm On Sep 13, 2015
Asito:
forget all this long talk, I coud'nt agree more with the heading. which brings this thread to mind- https://www.nairaland.com/2590889/see-what-happening-nigerias-economy
Yea that thread is cool. Joseph is a member if PDP youth revitalization task force and he deserves it.
Re: APC And Buhari Have No Economic Blueprint-john Okiyi Kalu by kossyablaze(m): 10:27pm On Sep 13, 2015
fergus0n:
Will waitinq 4 NL party thugs. Throws mat en sips my oriji

Next!!!
Me too

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: APC And Buhari Have No Economic Blueprint-john Okiyi Kalu by agabaI23(m): 10:34pm On Sep 13, 2015
fergus0n:
Will waitinq 4 NL party thugs.
Throws mat en sips my oriji

Next!!!
I really don't understand if some people are paid to talk for talking sake instead of arguing constructively.
Re: APC And Buhari Have No Economic Blueprint-john Okiyi Kalu by fergus0n: 10:40pm On Sep 13, 2015
agabaI23:
I really don't understand if some people are paid to talk for talking sake instead of arguing constructively.
Will u tell me hw to use my mb? Bros if seun venture make u mod ehh am sure u go da gv ppl 7mnths barn #osochiegbu
Re: APC And Buhari Have No Economic Blueprint-john Okiyi Kalu by agabaI23(m): 10:44pm On Sep 13, 2015
fergus0n:

Will u tell me hw to use my mb? Bros if seun venture make u mod ehh am sure u go da gv ppl 7mnths barn #osochiegbu
Sorry sir, I was actually supporting what you said. grin grin
Re: APC And Buhari Have No Economic Blueprint-john Okiyi Kalu by fergus0n: 10:54pm On Sep 13, 2015
agabaI23:
Den hit up da like button tank u grin[quote author=agabaI23 post=37983571]Sorry sir, I was actually supporting what you said. grin grin
Re: APC And Buhari Have No Economic Blueprint-john Okiyi Kalu by fergus0n: 10:54pm On Sep 13, 2015
agabaI23:
Den hit up da like button tank u grin

1 Like

Re: APC And Buhari Have No Economic Blueprint-john Okiyi Kalu by agabaI23(m): 10:58pm On Sep 13, 2015
fergus0n:

Den hit up da like button tank u grin
No I don't throw likes around. I don't belong to APC
Re: APC And Buhari Have No Economic Blueprint-john Okiyi Kalu by fergus0n: 10:59pm On Sep 13, 2015
agabaI23:
No I don't throw likes around. I don't belong to APC
Bye lipsrsealed
Re: APC And Buhari Have No Economic Blueprint-john Okiyi Kalu by Nobody: 11:05pm On Sep 13, 2015
[size=18pt]Now look what you made me do![/size]

Yo, your man could have ran when I robbed him but he froze
Son I ain't even rock him to sleep, the nigga dozed
The b1tch could have helped you get rich, but she sold
now you heartbroke, that's what you get for lovin them hoes
An ill flow with no beat, is incomplete, it's like a stickup kid
runnin round without no heat, its like a fifth with no kick
a fiend with no hit, a willie with no whip
A bad b1tch that won't blow dik
It's like a rollie with no ice, a gamblin spot with no dice
Like farkin supermodel b1tches and not bustin off twice
I murda any mic device, for the right price, I'm nice
I only say things once, never twice, dont Fark with me
Re: APC And Buhari Have No Economic Blueprint-john Okiyi Kalu by ademega(m): 11:05pm On Sep 13, 2015
they gave economic black print. it's erra of change.
too known economics
Re: APC And Buhari Have No Economic Blueprint-john Okiyi Kalu by agabaI23(m): 12:16am On Sep 14, 2015
ademega:
they gave economic black print. it's erra of change.
too known economics
Bro, should I ask Google for the meaning of blackprint or are you going to explain to me? grin
Re: APC And Buhari Have No Economic Blueprint-john Okiyi Kalu by mekaboy(m): 1:47am On Sep 14, 2015
APC displaying a body language of deception seduction and masturbation.
Re: APC And Buhari Have No Economic Blueprint-john Okiyi Kalu by BushidoBlue(m): 12:42pm On Sep 14, 2015
As expected the APC Nairaland megaphone writers are missing from this thread.
But come where is that Passingshot? Where is Beremx abi Berem? Where is in fact I don't keep dia names sef so if I didn't mention u, u ain't worth it.
Re: APC And Buhari Have No Economic Blueprint-john Okiyi Kalu by baralatie(m): 1:20pm On Sep 14, 2015
the op has a strong point concerning how to sustain the economy through a "rejigged" policy but I don't think that the hiriearchy of this govt administration of Pmnb is into solving problems.they want to be riding on the populace to be a little ignorant of their not willing to "do" ! or to"deliver on economy"

(1) (Reply)

List Of Ministerial Nominees Undergoing Dss screening. / (BREAKING NEWS) Assets Declaration: Court Orders Saraki’s Arrest / Pro-lawan Senators Plan To Eject Saraki After Sallah Festivities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.