Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,964 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:25 AM

The Fall Of My American Dreams - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Fall Of My American Dreams (1023 Views)

My American Woman Went To Report Me For Not Divorce To The Embassy.advice Me Pls / How American dreams are becoming a Nightmare for desperate Nigerians / Studying In Canada In The Fall (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Fall Of My American Dreams by Nobody: 12:35am On Apr 09, 2009
I have a dream that i am gonna make it to america. But lack of money and connection have rendered my dream unattainable. Sometimes i look at what is happening to america and ask myself, when is there recession gonna end. No money and lack of connection have made me to rethink about my american dreams and decided to purse a degree here in naija. I tell you, the dreams havent completely fell, it is still hanging. Watch out and see the rise of my american dreams . it is coming, it is coming very soon. Watch out for the rise of my american dreams.
Re: The Fall Of My American Dreams by blackspade(m): 12:54am On Apr 09, 2009
bigmodo:

decided to purse a degree here in naija.

Forget everything else, just focus on what I've put in bold. Forget about America, economy won't bounce back until at least early 2011. Within that time frame, you should try to further advance yourself in naija.
Re: The Fall Of My American Dreams by SeanT21(f): 4:13am On Apr 09, 2009
blackspade:

Forget everything else, just focus on what I've put in bold. Forget about America, economy won't bounce back until at least early 2011. Within that time frame, you should try to further advance yourself in naija.

Speak with Faith.**DON'T SAY THAT**People are really suffering out there.
Re: The Fall Of My American Dreams by felifeli: 8:49am On Apr 09, 2009
Is there  a visible end to the dark tunnel ?

U.S. jobless benefits to run out by summer for 700,000
AGC SmartBrief | 04/06/2009

With U.S. unemployment at 8.5% and headed toward 10%, even the extended jobless benefits approved by Congress will end this year for people who lost their jobs early last year. By the second half of this year, as many as 700,000 people will have used up all of their benefits, said Wayne Vroman, an economist at the Urban Institute. Hartford Courant (Conn.), The (04/05)
http://www.smartbrief.com/news/agc/storyDetails.jsp?issueid=6E3DE98E-0E9F-4E86-A3B1-0E1A0BFD57E7&copyid=1DF7CBCC-1E5B-4AEF-9905-ACF7557DEBFF

Dallas Fed: 10% U.S. unemployment possible

Charlotte Business Journal

U.S. unemployment could surpass 10 percent by year’s end, Richard Fisher, chief executive of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, said Wednesday before the Japan Center for Economic Research in Tokyo, Japan.

Fisher said there are 13.2 million people without jobs, and the nation is grappling with an 8.5 percent unemployment rate.

While the housing market has compounded the problem, he attributes declines in employment to a crisis in confidence that is driving business leaders to cut heavily.

“The men and women who operate our businesses and create and sustain employment have assumed a defensive crouch,” he told the audience. “Confronted by dyspeptic financial markets, they are doing the best they can to preserve their margins by cutting costs (most significantly, the cost of labor), and running tight inventories, rationalizing supply lines, deferring all but the most necessary capital expenditures and, in general, avoiding risk. The result is an American economy in stasis. Nothing is being ventured, and nothing is being gained.”

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2009/04/06/daily35.html

Etc. ,  etc. ,

It is OK to confess positive . It is self-disservice to play ostrich .
Re: The Fall Of My American Dreams by nwaohanata(f): 4:55pm On Apr 13, 2009
Bigmodo,

What exactly is your dream to make it here in America? I was born and raised here in the United States. Right now, I am half way through graduate school to earn a MA in Educational Leadership with certification which will enable me to be a Principal of a strong school system. However, my dream is to have my own Art Institute here in America and other countries too. I want to be able to work for myself and help other people who work for me.
In June I am traveling to Lagos Nigeria. Hopefully this will provide me with some clarity and direction of making my dream happen anywhere God will make it happen. I say all that to say this follow your plan and return back to Naija. One day your American will happen! Remember the unexpected is always upon us.

Re: The Fall Of My American Dreams by Pittbaby(f): 9:51pm On Apr 13, 2009
not that I subscribe to the whole American dream thingy O!!!! I belive you can be successful anywhere and should not limit yourself to one avenue .

But let me address this misconception , an unemployment rate of 10% so what? that still leaves 90% employed. How many countries can match that (naija??) the fact still remains if you have a feasible plan in America ( not working for minimum wage illegally ) i.e get an education and return home to a reasonable job , how does the unemployement rate affect that.

Again there are so many ways to bake a cake , I have friends who have never left the shores of naija and we go head to head intellectually and financially , besides success in America is not picked on the street, nothing guarantees you that you will be a better success in america than you can be back home.
Re: The Fall Of My American Dreams by nwaohanata(f): 11:30pm On Apr 13, 2009
Pittbaby,

The whole idea of the American Dream has been dismantled by the rich getting richer, the poor getting poorer, and the middle class paying most of the taxes. I believe that people can make their dreams comes true with a lot of hard work (sacrificing, networking, capital, etc, ) and simply knowing the right people and being in the right place at the right time. Sometimes I think that earning an education does not ensure that your dream will come true. Some of the most wealthiest people in the world do not have a college education or either dropped out of school.

However, I do agree with your statement about you having friends that have never left the shores of Nigeria and that they go head to head intellectually and financially, In my travels and stay here in the United States, I have found that the most intelligent as well as intellectual people I have met are from Africa; Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya etc, You are right that nothing guarantees that you will be a success in America. One cannot go home when they have no home to go home to. And so that person has to create their home be it here in the US or in beautiful Nigeria!

Peace
Re: The Fall Of My American Dreams by ilaugh1: 11:34pm On Apr 13, 2009
@poster

You want to go to America and end up like the Naija Americans on NairaLand?
Re: The Fall Of My American Dreams by nwaohanata(f): 11:52pm On Apr 13, 2009
I Laugh,

I already reside in United States but will be going to Nigeria in June. I am not Nigerian but African American. And just how do the Nigerian Americans end up on Naira Land?
Re: The Fall Of My American Dreams by brutal(m): 9:09am On Apr 14, 2009
nwaohanata:

I Laugh,

I already reside in United States but will be going to Nigeria in June. I am not Nigerian but African American. And just how do the Nigerian Americans end up on Naira Land?
sorry 2 invade ur privacy,but what r ur plans in nigeria?(REASON 4 D visit)
Re: The Fall Of My American Dreams by nwaohanata(f): 2:24pm On Apr 14, 2009
Brutal,
Business and employment opportunities with visa. kiss
Re: The Fall Of My American Dreams by Pittbaby(f): 6:25pm On Apr 14, 2009
@Nwa

Yes I agree education is not a guarantee of success , but statistics are educated people will make over a million dollars more in their life time than the uneducated , the examples of business men you cite are the exception and not the norm . All said I agree with you , you can have a business plan that will guarantee more success than any educational degee can

The days of coming to america and expecting to live a good life staying outside of the system and not having a specific skill are over , all those jobs have been offshored.

(1) (Reply)

Want To Apply For Visa Lottery / How Do I Know If I Truly Won The American Lottery / Countries Without Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.