Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,915 members, 7,814,085 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:22 AM

Coping with Stress - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Coping with Stress (1883 Views)

Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience / How Are You Coping With The Current Heat Wave? / Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coping with Stress by whizkid(f): 12:45pm On Apr 01, 2005
Stress: the No 1 mental and physical drainer.Stress brings insomnia (difficulty in getting to sleep, getting up in the middle of the night, or having disturbed sleep).
Here are some tips to help you sleep:
1. Go to sleep when you are tired not necessarily when it is the usual time for bed.
2. If you cannot sleep, take a walk in your neighbourhood (that is if its safe, okay?), or read a book, get fresh air in your backyard.
3. Do gentle muscle-stretching  exercises in your bedroom.
4. Do not go to bed with a grudge. Sort out what needs sorting out and make peace with your friends, partner, children as the case may be.( tough one huh?).
5. Avoid over loading your stomach just before going to bed, eat meals early and choose what you eat wisely. proteins make better bedtime foods than carbohydrates.
6. Have a cold shower before going to bed.

These are just some tips, please feel free to add some more tips on the subject I.e coping with stress
Re: Coping with Stress by delarontus(f): 8:19pm On Apr 02, 2005
After the cold shower take a warm glass of milk and if u live in the tropics, spray ur room!
Re: Coping with Stress by Seun(m): 8:50pm On Apr 02, 2005
delarontus,

What you've posted is more of a general stress tip. My stress tips are:
- Work towards independence from domineering people in your life.
- Be more organized. It pays of on the long run.
- Remember that stress is not about having too much to do; it's about not being in control.

Seun
Re: Coping with Stress by Chigszy(f): 6:31pm On Apr 05, 2005
hey guys since we r all given tips well tis what i do to release stress. after a days work from college i mean, i just grap my favourite food, either i sit in front of the tele and pop in my favourite movie. or i just relax to the soothing sound of music!!!! i just can not live without it!! but the best way and day for me to relax is during rainny days, i just cuddle with a really good absorbing book, on my bed or somewhere cosy, remember it is a cooling weather and u just have like a hot chocolate milk wif u. or u just relax to the sound of a light music..
now tht is d way to relax well for me at least!! wink

it's all bout book n MUSIC!!
Re: Coping with Stress by whizkid(f): 12:23pm On Apr 13, 2005
Other ways to cope with stress include:

1.Regular exercise: Yes, we should find time to incorporate exercise into our busy schedule. Some people are of the notion that only over-weight people need exercise, this is wrong. Regular exercise makes you keep fit and believe me reduces your chances of having High blood pressure.

2. Massage: This is used to relieve pain, a good massage helps to release accumulated tension.

3. Meditation: This is used to induce physical and mental relaxation by creating a peaceful state of mind. You can take two hours of doing absolutely 'nothing' just relax and let your mind drift as much as it wants over happy memories.

4. Breathing: Exhalation and inhalation also helps to calm your nerves.
Re: Coping with Stress by Ra(f): 4:48pm On Apr 13, 2005
I'm afraid I have to second Chigszy's stand. There are different ways of relaxing and working out stress for different people. There are no methods grafted in stone. I, for one, shut out the world and its ample stress by getting myself a really good novel. I'm a drifter, you see, and often find it easy planting myself at some beautiful scene or the other in my book. I love sitting down to well plotted movies as well. At the end of a meal (whatever catches my fancy at the time) with a novel in hand and lovely soulful music in the background (e.g Tunde Baiyewu's new album or Lighthouse Family), I can not be pinned down by stress of whatever nature.

For some, lying down in a bath of steaming scented water for ages is a sure way of relaxation. I haven't actually tried that but I'm bound to find it as sure a way of easing off tension (particularly from work!) and coming out wide awake and alert.

But..... that's me and those are my methods. To each, as they say, his own........
Re: Coping with Stress by Seun(m): 5:06pm On Apr 13, 2005
Ra: I'm afraid I have to second Chigszy's stand.
Ra, I understand that you agree with Chigzy's tips but why do you have to be "afraid" to second it? rolleyes
Re: Coping with Stress by Ra(f): 5:58pm On Apr 13, 2005
Simply because it appears quite contrary to more popular opinion of massages, deep meditation (Yoga), getting enough rest and other universally accepted ways of 'killing' stress, all of which are by no means less effective.
Re: Coping with Stress by littlebaby(f): 5:59am On Jul 05, 2005
A little stress is a good thing. It keeps us on our toes and busy pursuing our dreams. However, our bodies were never designed to handle the formidable amount of stress we face in todays complicated world. Unless we deal with it wisely, it will rob us of our health and our happiness.
    The best way to deal with stress is to beat it before it begins to beat you. Develop healthy habits in diet, sleep, and exercise. Invest the time it takes to build healthy relationships. Recognize God's sovereignty over your life.

"Distress" is most often stress that hasn't been addressed.
Re: Coping with Stress by gbadaniyi(m): 5:34pm On Sep 04, 2010
you can view more on stress and solution in my website

(1) (Reply)

PHOTOS: "I Lost Both Arms And Legs While Taking Injection For Bigger Bottom" / Swissgarde Drugs Distributor 08130122561 / 8 Common Foods That Increase Sperm Fertility

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.