Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,086 members, 7,818,251 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:14 AM

EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All (9335 Views)

Badman Binladin Music Is All Around Now / Interview: Wizkid – "Music Is A Universal Language, I Want To Leave A Legacy ” / Nigeria Music Is Sensational! Which Tribe Has Da Best Rhythms Igbo,Yoruba,hausa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by Nobody: 9:43am On Sep 17, 2015
ok..
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by Nobody: 9:44am On Sep 17, 2015
softvio:

Remove Burna Boy n D'banj from that list
Live him he has no brain burna boy that is one of the best singers in Nigeria that guy don't know about music
Most talented people in Nigeria are going to school every body most not be a Doctor or pharmacist music is something different among those fields I mentioned there's no way you will play a particular music fo a day our parents forced us to be a doctor etc coz they want to answer mama doctor or papa father must everybody go to school haba this is why people commit suicide because the fail there exams am an up_coming artist but if I get a good Record deal I am I will drop out of school and become a complete musician most successful musicians like JAY Z, KANYE WEST, LIL WAYNE they didn't go to school even Dangote etc
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by Nobody: 9:49am On Sep 17, 2015
TheWisest:

FIFA 16 don commot o!
when e commot?

1 Like

Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by magicminister: 9:49am On Sep 17, 2015
Jimyking:
I am not writing this article to discourage anyone about taking music as a career, but I am writing this article to enlighten those who have already taken the step of determination and perseverance to be the next Wizkid or 2face.

The road to stardom is not a smooth ride. I’m sure every music star can attest to this. Every child nowadays no longer wants to be a doctor, a lawyer or even an astronaut. Music has become every child’s dream and due to this recent trend there has been an increase of school drop outs. The education system is dwindling and not up to 5% actually make it to stardom.

Lets’ transport our minds back to the good old days of the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s, When we had great musicians like Ebenezer Obey, Fela Anikulapo Kuti, Orlando Owoh, King Sunny Ade, Sir Victor Uwaifo, Majek Fashek, Bobby Benson and a host of other great talented musicians. Music back then was not congested; there were only a few spirited and talented ones who were able to pursue their dreams.

Education was key then and those who wanted to become a musician started as an apprentice under a well-known artiste or band. These musicians where well tutored because they performed and played with live bands making them a complete musician. The few who ventured into music in those days made it big and where recognised across the shores of the country. These artiste where courageous and most of them are recognised as legends today. How many of our artiste today in the next 20 years can be categorized as a legend that impacted in the lives of people. If you ask me I would say very few can fit into that shoe.

This goes out to every artiste out there who because were choristers in their churches feel music is the right path to take. It becomes a cliché to hear an artiste these days during interviews saying that they have always been a musician right from the age of 12 singing in their church or school. Being a good chorister does not make you a professional musician. Also having a very good voice does not make you a musician.

Taking music as a profession involves more than just knowing how to sing or a having a good voice. There is what we call the total package and only very few Nigerian artistes have it. There are some musicians who need to leave music alone and go back to wearing robes and singing on the altar. Music as a profession is not meant for all.

It’s not far-fetched why we have a lot of upcoming artiste who would never make it past going to free shows and submitting their records to deejays and still won’t be known maybe just their streets and neighbourhood. The answer is right in front of them. Every up and coming wants to be Wizkid or sound like Wizkid. There can be only one Wizkid, another is just a counterfeit. Upcoming artiste should learn to be creative in their lyrics, appearance, performance and should have an identity of their own. From my observation I have come to realise that in years that pass by, we only get to see not more than 3 upcoming artistes who manage to cross from obscurity to fame.

Music is not a do or die affair, neither is it a game of chess. Many go into music as their only way out to poverty or joblessness. But whether you want to venture into music as a career I employ you to first complete your education so that you’ll have a backup plan should in case you later realise that music is not your calling and you have already exhausted all your resources and time. Your certificate can still bail you out and if you are lucky you might still get a good job to finance your music career if you still haven’t given up on becoming a musician. I rest my case with this closing remark; one man’s meat is another man’s poison. Because your friend or brother has made it big in music doesn’t mean you can also make it big. Find your calling and leave music alone to the professionals and gifted ones. Music is not meant for all.

Article written by Jimmy King

Read more: http://gaspromotionsng.com/music-is-not-for-all/

Anyone can be a musician and anyone can be a star.

1 Like

Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by stephenqueen: 10:44am On Sep 17, 2015
STFUareyouGod:
Gbam!
Stephenlee Stephenqueen come and see o
Wetin? undecided
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by Uchizzy(m): 10:58am On Sep 17, 2015
OP Thanks for this. Hope they re seeing this?
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by Kcinho(m): 10:58am On Sep 17, 2015
Fernandowski:
#teamamericanmusic #wizkhalifa
Mind you the Americans have started appreciating Nigerian music
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by free2ryhme: 11:16am On Sep 17, 2015
rasojie:

burna boy lip syncs no doubt, that is a general problem with Nigeria Music,
but does not take away natural talent,
the fact remains that he has a nice voice
and he is also versatile! If you do not like him, thats your cup of tea

I rather listen to a dog bark than that trash u call music
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by Nobody: 11:27am On Sep 17, 2015
free2ryhme:

I rather listen to a dog bark than that trash u call music
ok here undecided

Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by fresherdanU: 11:31am On Sep 17, 2015
free2ryhme:
hope Burna boy, Tontoh Dike, Dbanj, Kswitch etc are listening ooo

free burna boy.
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by Etetejake(m): 11:46am On Sep 17, 2015
op u ar on point. same music, same bit, same lyrics just with a slightly different tune.
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by Fernandowski(m): 12:30pm On Sep 17, 2015
Kcinho:

Mind you the Americans have started appreciating Nigerian music
not me bro
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by thecardinal(m): 12:32pm On Sep 17, 2015
Pls I need a good and affordable producer here in Abuja. Pls holler at me
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by Nobody: 1:31pm On Sep 17, 2015
stephenqueen:

Wetin? undecided
did you not read the op's suggestion?

1 Like

Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by 4C2215131: 4:42pm On Sep 17, 2015
free2ryhme:
make una ask wizkid wetin be his genre of music

haha...haha...
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by 4C2215131: 4:47pm On Sep 17, 2015
Albert0011:
This message is specially meant 4 lynxx itunu my broda..pls tell him to cum bck home cuz we luv him.

Would make more money and fame as a model in my opinion...music- he just doesn't cut it!
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by 4C2215131: 5:22pm On Sep 17, 2015
Empero1:
@op

To each his own! Sincerely, I'd be happy to know how successful you are in your own chosen life endeavor. You see, the easiest hobby to take up is non-portfolio-advisor and critic hobbies but guess what, they don't pay bills.

Well, I stand bold to say that less than 5% of inventors are always lucky to be alive to enjoy the success of their inventions , this is so because the road to discovery is always tedious and long. Inventors are better known for enjoying post-houmous glory and legend status, not a bad thing anyway. In a nutshell, there's nothing bad in imitating and bettering the original, this is the easiest way to stardom and success in any life endeavor. Therefore, I see nothing wrong in people that tries to copy other established musicians.

Secondly, just like in business, "fall back option" is the quickest route to failure for any musician or musical group. The very moment you create out the fall back option your level of creativity, passion, perseverance and risk diminishes automatically because you have the option to quit. I am a proponent of "burning the bridges" after crossing a river in any battle. When you cross the river and burn the bridge you're left with only two options: Conquer or Perish.

In the other hand, majority of the general populace misconstruction of what "education" really is is the bane of our retrogression as a country. Certificate/going through formal school doesn't guarantee automatic intelligence or success but "education" (been a master in your chosen art) does. Guess what, you can gain education either formally or informally. I didn't say this to encourage anyone to dropout from formal school, no, but I say it to encourage those who believe that they can gain properly educated through self-education and hands-on experience in their chosen line of art to live on their opinion and never sway from their belief.

In summary, as far as I am concerned, your article nay opinion is trash yet I still believe that you are entitled to your opprobrium.

Any respect you would've garnered from your article you pissed away by referring to the OP's write-up or opinion as 'thrash'. You started out good but ended up being too emotional in your counter. You'd make a bad argumentator.

Just my 'thrashy' opinion.
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by Nobody: 5:41pm On Sep 17, 2015
4C2215131:

Any respect you would've garnered from your article you pissed away by referring to the OP's write-up or opinion as 'thrash'. You started out good but ended up being too emotional in your counter. You'd make a bad argumentator.

Just my 'thrashy' opinion.

You amuse me! Anyway, I spelt the word "trash" correctly and I used it appropriately in my post you quoted ... Don't be too clever by half. As for me losing your respect, believe you me, your opinion doesn't matter. I wish you all the best.
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by 4C2215131: 1:25pm On Sep 18, 2015
Empero1:

You amuse me! Anyway, I spelt the word "trash" correctly and I used it appropriately in my post you quoted ... Don't be too clever by half. As for me losing your respect, believe you me, your opinion doesn't matter. I wish you all the best.

You do not want to go into a battle of wits or words with me...no you don't. 'Thrash', my bad, just an error, but again, you don't want me to dissect your write up for...what am I even doing, this is not me. Think you better recognise (In the voice of Sam Sneed)
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by stephenqueen: 5:39pm On Sep 18, 2015
STFUareyouGod:
did you not read the op's suggestion?
undecided undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Freestyle I Did With Vector's King Kong Instrumental (lyrics Included) / VIDEO: Timaya – 2 Stoopid / Lalaboi's Naija Top 10 On Radiopalmwine. . . .8PM Thurs night!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.