Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,621 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:17 PM

First Language Your Baby Should Learn - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / First Language Your Baby Should Learn (882 Views)

Will You Allow Your Baby To Be Carried This Way By The Babysitter? (photos) / Learn How Your Baby Should Develop From Birth To One Year Of Age / 7 Things Married And Unmarried Should Learn From Tiwa And Teebliz Melodrama (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Language Your Baby Should Learn by Nobody: 8:09am On Sep 17, 2015
I was just wandering, with the rate of decline in our local dialects if it's still ok for our babies to be taught the English language before speaking our local dialects to them. Please guys, what do u think?
Re: First Language Your Baby Should Learn by Phut(f): 8:39am On Sep 17, 2015
tendercharles:
I was just wandering, with the rate of decline in our local dialects if it's still ok for our babies to be taught the English language before speaking our local dialects to them. Please guys, what do u think?

So in other words, you want to help further the decline? Just listen to yourself?

1 Like

Re: First Language Your Baby Should Learn by Nobody: 10:02am On Sep 17, 2015
tendercharles:
teach them both dude

the brain can accomodate as many languages as possible
Re: First Language Your Baby Should Learn by Pidggin(f): 5:31pm On Sep 17, 2015
tendercharles:

The world is a global village, and if one can speak and write any of the major foreign languages fluently, you will never lack financially.
Re: First Language Your Baby Should Learn by Nobody: 6:05pm On Sep 17, 2015
I think that English should be the last language you teach your kids cause they're gonna learn it anyways. Unless you guys are like illiterates in your family sha.

The earlier they start being multilingual the better for them

3 Likes

Re: First Language Your Baby Should Learn by ronald4lif(m): 8:01pm On Sep 17, 2015
Native language first. So it's Igbo for me. Any other language comes second or they can even decide not to learn any other language until the English start learning other nationals lingua. No be only dem get language.
Re: First Language Your Baby Should Learn by tosyne2much(m): 8:15pm On Sep 17, 2015
ronald4lif:
Native language first. So it's Igbo for me. Any other language comes second or they can even decide not to learn any other language until the English start learning other nationals lingua. No be only dem get language.
Who would ever thought oga Ronald could make this comment

As my egbon dey blow grammar reach cheesy
Re: First Language Your Baby Should Learn by Phut(f): 8:23pm On Sep 17, 2015
MrsPhyno:
[b]I think that English should be the last language you teach your kids cause they're gonna learn it anyways. [/b]Unless you guys are like illiterates in your family wha

The earlier they start being multilingual the better for them

That is exactly the reason why you shouldn't teach them English, first. English is so pervasive that they are going to pick it up anyway - in school, at daycare, from TV etc.

When kids learn the dominant language first, most will not be interested in learning the less popular language.

I have a Hispanic friend, whose nephews and nieces do not speak good Spanish. She decided to change all that with her child. She spoke Spanish exclusively to her child at home. At 3 1/2 years old, she sent her child to daycare, where she picked up English in a matter of months. Today, her daughter is bilingual.

Kids are like sponges and can pick up new languages in no time. Your child will most likely be able to pick up your native language from only you. Focus on giving her that and let the world give her the rest.

P.S. Some kids are just learning to speak by 3 or 4. So there was no awkward transition period for my friends daughter

1 Like 1 Share

Re: First Language Your Baby Should Learn by Phut(f): 8:25pm On Sep 17, 2015
ronald4lif:

Nwanne, chop knuckle cheesy

1 Like

Re: First Language Your Baby Should Learn by ronald4lif(m): 8:43pm On Sep 17, 2015
Phut:

Nwanne, chop knuckle cheesy

Ezigbo nne madu, ino there life, welu knuckle biko. cheesy

tosyne2much:
Who would ever thought oga Ronald could make this comment
As my egbon dey blow grammar reach cheesy

Baba tuale. cheesy

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ember Month Birthdays / Just Killed A Big Rat, What Should I Do With It Pls Advice Me (pic) / April Fool: She Told Her Nigerian Mum She Has A 1-year-old Baby, It Was Epic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.