Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,106 members, 7,852,753 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 04:15 AM

Msc Or Marriage - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Msc Or Marriage (1069 Views)

Graduate Assistant First, Them Msc. Or Msc First, Then Graduate Assistant. / Please An Advice Is Needed Urgently On (MSC Or PGD) / Study In Uk For Bsc,msc Or Phd Without Paying A Dime In School Fees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Msc Or Marriage by sweetpeas: 9:06am On Apr 11, 2009
I need fellow nairalanders advice I have just been admitted for my masters should I go for it or get married the twist here Is that my fiancé said he wouldn't wait for me. Am 25 years.
Re: Msc Or Marriage by ell77(f): 1:11pm On Apr 11, 2009
Why can't you do a masters degree whilst keeping the relationship?

Will you be separated by distance?

What are his issues exactly?

Where were you admitted?

Are you employed?
Re: Msc Or Marriage by sweetpeas: 1:23pm On Apr 11, 2009
@ell77
yes distance separate us
Re: Msc Or Marriage by ell77(f): 1:28pm On Apr 11, 2009
Could he come with you?
Re: Msc Or Marriage by Skywalker5(m): 1:36pm On Apr 11, 2009
sweetpeas:

I need fellow nairalanders advice I have just been admitted for my masters should I go for it or get married  the twist here Is that my fiancé said he wouldn't wait for me. Am 25 years. 

Then its either 2 things

1 he is not in love with you
or

2 hhe does not trust you to return back to him

I had the same issues and i just made her see the benefits that all

If he says she wont wait.make he dey go(no b by force). This is ur future Girl
Re: Msc Or Marriage by ell77(f): 2:27pm On Apr 11, 2009
Sky-walker:

Then its either 2 things

1 he is not in love with you
or

2 hhe does not trust you to return back to him

I had the same issues and i just made her see the benefits that all

If he says she wont wait.make he dey go(no b by force). This is ur future Girl

I agree to some extent, but she has not given enough information as to why her fiance objects. why can't he go with her? Is there a reason he does not value her doing the MSc now? How long is the MSc?

Please could, you also help me by voting on my post:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-260618.0.html
Re: Msc Or Marriage by sweetpeas: 2:55pm On Apr 11, 2009
@skywalker
thank u skywalker,
Re: Msc Or Marriage by sweetpeas: 2:57pm On Apr 11, 2009
@ell77
he doesnt see the value, he is giving me an option though, he will set me off on a cosmetics company which i like, but then i still feel inside of me that that is not what i want
Re: Msc Or Marriage by ell77(f): 3:32pm On Apr 11, 2009
OK if you are not interested in something, it is likely to end up a failure, so the cosmetics outfit may not work (I am assuming he does not ordinarily dictate your future, and is simply worried about how this will affect your relationship). Since he obviously is happy for you to work and it is just distance that worries him you have to approach this delicately. Even though I am an educational consultant, I can understand why someone would choose to keep a job over MSc if it was a good one.

But marriage is all about compromise.

We used to live in a world where one person could look after a family of five. But nowadays even a family of three may struggle with both parents employed.

It will be easier for you to do your MSc now whilst you have less responsibilities i.e. no kids. Also the younger you are the easier it is getting back into academic life.

Furthering your studies is not only good for you, it is good for your children and your husband.

God forbid if anything were to happen to your husband or his job how would the two of you cope.

You are supposed to work as a team, and even if you choose to remain unemployed after doing the MSc and become a housewife, doing the MSc might help you in times of trouble to apply for jobs, or even set up your own business depending on the course.

Long distance relationships are hard.

Marriage is hard.

Add the two together and you have 'mission ALMOST impossible'.

So I can understand his reservations.

But some people still do it. So if you can convince him of the benefits and show him how strong your relationship is I think you should do the MSc and still get married.

Every holiday you can see each other, if you are in Nigeria for your MSc, maybe even every weekend.

It is not easy to find someone worth spending the rest of your life with, so I would not want you to sacrifice that.

He may just be afraid and need your reassurance.

Try to speak about it calmly and thoughtfully.

A good idea is to ask him exactly what is concerns are and listen without arguing or objecting.

Understanding and communication are the two great cornerstones of any relationship and need to be nurtured for your relationship to go anywhere in the first place.

I hope this helps, let me know what you decide ok?

wink
Re: Msc Or Marriage by tpia: 10:13pm On Apr 12, 2009
Re: Msc Or Marriage by Nobody: 7:47am On Apr 13, 2009
its like a law. . .

if either of you leaves the other for the uk/us without getting married, your engagement is dead. you will meet guys with far more prospects/opportunities etal over there, and the same would happen if he travelled over there.

i guess that may be partly what this is about.
Re: Msc Or Marriage by Nobody: 9:01am On Apr 13, 2009
sweetpeas:

@ell77
yes distance separate us

Are you sure you are even qualified to do MSC? Nigerian Masters na for effizzy.Again marriages are a trap for men and women in Nigeria.Men marry to control the women and the women marry to siphon off men's resources + so many children that will suffer twice in their lives.
Re: Msc Or Marriage by sweetpeas: 11:33am On Apr 13, 2009
@ferdii
if am not qualified for an msc will i be asking,
pls ferdii, no player hating on this thread if u dont have something reasonable to say get off this thread.
thank u
Re: Msc Or Marriage by ell77(f): 2:19pm On Apr 13, 2009
lol. Some interesting responses.

I know a woman who married and her husband paid for her to come and study in UK, and then she came back to Nigeria - there are no problems. It really boils down to trust.

He has every right to voice his opinion, he has chosen to spend the rest of his life with you. If he is adamant that it is one or the other you guys need to look at your relationship very carefully.

I have just thought about it from a man's perspective. If I was working in Nigeria and my husband said lets get married, but as soon as we marry I am traveling abroad to study for 2 years, I would probably say "no way" (but that is just me). Perhaps, I would question how serious he was about me in the first place, and why he had never done his MSc all this time.

I am just trying to put myself in his shoes, as up until now I was only putting myself in your shoes. Why not do a shorter course, or ask him if he will be able to travel with you? Is his job really that great. Two years is a long time to postpone a wedding and if you want to find another partner abroad - the grass is not always greener. If you had not done an undergrad I would say he was selfish (personal opinion all women should have the chance to do undergrad), but what course do you want to study and how is the course going to help your plans?

Think wisely. Love is precious.
Re: Msc Or Marriage by Nobody: 3:04pm On Apr 13, 2009
Okay. Just that your tense caught my attention.A lot of Nigerians have poor English command.May be you are one of them and still have your undergrad. But with this tune, are we not going to see another widow? No bite his manliness oh!
Re: Msc Or Marriage by kay7: 7:17pm On Apr 13, 2009
you may have to consider these:
a.
Re: Msc Or Marriage by kay7: 7:21pm On Apr 13, 2009
you may have to consider these:

a.his age
b. pressures on him to marry
c.which 'degree' can wait - MRS or MSC smiley
d.above all, discuss issues with him. This will clear any gray areas
good luck
Re: Msc Or Marriage by sweetpeas: 10:55pm On Apr 13, 2009
@ferdii
Please get off the thread. Since u too smart in been abusive and stupid
@ell77
Thank u.
Re: Msc Or Marriage by sweetpeas: 10:57pm On Apr 13, 2009
Professor ferdii, calling kettle black u can't spell and u write in pigin, how stupid and foolish can u be?
Re: Msc Or Marriage by netotse(m): 11:07pm On Apr 13, 2009
another thing to consider is that if u dont go u jst might end up blaming him later in life for u not following up on your dreams and that is enough to kill any marriage!
Re: Msc Or Marriage by Nobody: 8:27am On Apr 14, 2009
@ Sweetpea: I think u r going to kill this feller. You are not a compassionate woman to be a wife.If I knew him I would advise him to shun you with ur yeye MSC!
Re: Msc Or Marriage by sweetpeas: 9:34am On Apr 14, 2009
@ferdii
And u r God to dictate.? Don't be stupid ferdii.
Take your stupidity and ignorance to another thread.
Re: Msc Or Marriage by estherhelp: 1:04pm On Oct 07, 2016
Hello, I am Esther Frank I'm the most happiest person on the face of the earth, after 6 months of sadness and sorrow without being with the one i love, i tried all my possible best to make sure i make my lover happy but it never seems to work out well it was like am doing everything in vain but all thanks goes to Dr Osebor for coming to change all my worries and sadness to Joy. i knew the great man when i read some wonderful testimony about Dr Osebor how he has helped lots of people on their relationship problems i was reading a magazine when i saw great testimonies, as well my predicament then i decided not to waste time because i have missed my lover so much i decided to contact him and share all my problem with him which he told me not to worry that he is assuring me that within 48 hours everything would be sorted out i believed Dr Osebor so much because of how he has been helping many people, my boyfriend who left me for good suddenly replied my text and returned my calls and asked me to please forgive him i was so happy am so grateful to Dr Osebor for what he has done for me and i promise to testify his goodness all through my life. If you are there passing the same problem or any kinds of problem contact this great man on his email address: ( oseborwinbacktemple@gmail.com ) or +2348147673395

1. Getting your lover or husband back
2. Money spell/ good luck spell
3. Prosperity spell
4. Protection spells
5. Get a job spell
6. Promotion spells
7. Getting your money back
8. Freedom spells
9. Love spell
10. Avenging spell
11. Lottery spell

(1) (Reply)

Educational Software And Services Available / Olabisi Onabanjo Has Reduce The Sch. Fees By 70% (may 2011) / Is Kadpoly And Yabatech Now A University After This Promotion By The F.g

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.