Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:51 AM

My Experience At The US Embassy - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Experience At The US Embassy (2468 Views)

Sex Scandal: Housewife Threatens To Drag Christ Embassy, Pastor To Court (pics) / Losing My Dad & Dealing With Lazy Relatives: My Experience / Police Arrested Christ Embassy Pastor Over 4 Abortions Mess (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience At The US Embassy by JadeWilliam(f): 2:22pm On Sep 17, 2015
I decided to post this just incase there're people who applied for visa&are about to go for interview or people who hope 2apply so that u don't get bounced. Just read&learn.

For reference sakes,i'm not an agent or anything&i'm not a good story teller.I'm just here to write my experience for people to learn&feel free to quote&ask questions&other people to add their own contribution.

There're some people i saw there that came for an interview dressed like they're going to market.

Come on. We all know that appearance go a long way to impress your interviewer; be it a job interview or otherwise.

Some applicants couldn't even comport themselves. U know these oyibo ppl know how to intimidate. They'l star right into your eyes&watch your body language trying to psyche you so you have to be well composed.

You have to be well prepared. Some people who claimed they work at so so and so or earn so so and so has to have documents to back up their claims.

As for the guys, please don't carve your hair like gallas&go for interview cos u'l look like a tout or like Farouk. Looks decent&level headed&don't chew gum.
Re: My Experience At The US Embassy by HungerBAD: 2:24pm On Sep 17, 2015
Add something for laughter in the story pls.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience At The US Embassy by sammoe(m): 2:28pm On Sep 17, 2015
I perch...
Re: My Experience At The US Embassy by JadeWilliam(f): 2:29pm On Sep 17, 2015
So after online application,we got an interview date. Our interview time was 10am so we got there by 9.30am but we were told we couldn't enter until it was 5 minutes to d appointed time so we hung around till the appointed time.

Long story short,it took turns to do everything to go down like taking our biometric&interview etc.They didn't take my kids' biometric cos they were under age 12.

After taking our biometric,i begged d security lady 2allow me 2stay inside d interviewing room because of my kids which she took compassion on us and allowed us to stay in so while i was in there,i made all my observations.

The interviewing room has 2 long seat roles&when an interviewer (mostly White folks) calls "NEXT APPLICANT", u go to a vacant cubicle with the interviewer behind the cubicle&a transparent glass separating him/her&the applicant while everybody watched&listened. There's no discretion.

Everybody sitting in d waiting area will hear all d questions u're asked&all d answers u'l give. So when u're refused visa, they'l give u a green A4 paper with "God Knows what's written there"&if u're granted visa,u'l be given a white paper stating the day u're to go for ur visa collection.
Re: My Experience At The US Embassy by buccal(m): 2:29pm On Sep 17, 2015
okay
Re: My Experience At The US Embassy by JadeWilliam(f): 2:47pm On Sep 17, 2015
While i was there,atleast i witnessed over 50 interviews before it got to my turn.I could say out of about 50 applicants,only about 10 people were granted visa&this was at about 1pm.

1). If u'r applying for US visa,please don't lie. Make sure what you filled up on line correlates with what you'l say when you are interviewed. Don't add or subtract anything cos it is already registered in the system. The moment u step up to the interviewer&he/she types ur ....... Whatever,everything u filled in will display&then they will start questioning u to know if u'l say something different.

2). Make sure u have a geniune reason for travelling. Most of the people that said they're travelling to visit a brother or sister or fiancee were refused visa. Another lady that said she hoped to further her academics when she gets there was bounced&so on&so forth.
Re: My Experience At The US Embassy by austine4real(m): 2:47pm On Sep 17, 2015
Next

1 Like

Re: My Experience At The US Embassy by JadeWilliam(f): 2:59pm On Sep 17, 2015
There was this particular guy in his late 30 (s) or there about who was refused visa. I remember the female interviewer asked him what was his purpose of his visit to the US&he mumbled something then the lady angrily said "this is your 6th time of applying for American Visa&each time u came for an interview,u kept lying to the interviewer for this reason,u are been refused visa&don't apply again until a few years. The guy asked "How many years?" And the interviewer said "A few years".

Another lady who came with her husband and little baby. She was heavily pregnant&her baby bump was already showing even underneath the free top she wore&she was asked if she hoped to seek any medical attention in the US&she lied&said no. And the interviewer asked her "Aren't u pregnant&she said "Not really". Then they told her to enter room 3 while her husband waits. I guess its for medical exam. Well,when i later saw her outside before we left,she came with the green A4 paper.

Another guy was told that this is the 3rd time he was applying for visa in the last 6 months&each time he came for interview,he had a different employer. What exactly is it that u want to go and do in the US? The guy answered "Business"&the interviewer didn't even waste her time&just handed him the green paper&called out "NEXT APPLICANT"

1 Like

Re: My Experience At The US Embassy by Nobody: 3:16pm On Sep 17, 2015
OP im sorry, im tired of reading

3 Likes

Re: My Experience At The US Embassy by emilyone(f): 3:18pm On Sep 17, 2015
What's so special about their f. Visas,

To hell with them and their f visas angry

2 Likes

Re: My Experience At The US Embassy by jmoore(m): 3:45pm On Sep 17, 2015
All in the name of going to Obodo oyibo.
If I see myself in any embassy in any of my dreams, I will cast and bind after I wake up.

Na for this Naija I go hammer.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience At The US Embassy by ronald4lif(m): 8:34pm On Sep 17, 2015
Hahaha lmao so they told the guy who has applied and has been refused visas many times not to apply again in a few years and he asked to know how many years exactly? In an apparent need to know when to commence his application spree for visas lol. And another who has been denied for the third time in less than 6months was asked why his seemingly desperation to travel to the States and he just said business. What a dumb, vague and imprecise response.

I'm sure the CO's working in embassies and high commission must be having a dose of comical drama from interviewees on daily basis. I envy their job.

I also do think that those applying for a visa on the basis of visiting brothers, sisters or any family member are ill-informed and misguided. No embassy will grant a vibrant adult a visit visa for the purpose of visiting a family member without considering their own right to an entry visa, employment and financial status of the applicant. Even if you claim you want to visit a family member as an adult you must provide substantial proof that you'd return back to Nigeria. Which are mainly job portfolio or your bank statement with sufficient funds. Family visit visa mostly works for aged relatives not young adults.

I disagree that one's attire have an effect to the outcome of a visa interview. They focus on merit not on dressing. Wear a knicker to an interview and merit it you'll sail through.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At The US Embassy by Nobody: 9:16pm On Sep 17, 2015
Hi OP
When I went to the US embassy for my visa
...the only reason I gave was that I was going to see my relatives...not bro, sis, mama, papa, bobo, bebe
...and I am an adult, single...
And I got the visa

Now to my point, and with no disrespect meant, you and I do not know the workings of the US embassy...the reason why we are not staff there I guess

And I remember something else...the day I went, I had my weaves out and could not for some reason comb or dress it (so picture natural, short and unruly dada, yup, that was me that day)

And I was shivering from the AC...add to the above and I am sure I wasn't screaming elegance and sophistication..in fact crack headed lipsrsealed
Back to my point, no one knows exactly why

Thank you
And I sincerely don't gerrit, the hype for obodo oyibo visas,...okay now, this is just me choosing Africa over and over again, flaws and all
I am sorry!!!
And I guess I am a bit of a hypocrite on this matter, however.... lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: My Experience At The US Embassy by Nobody: 9:28pm On Sep 17, 2015
jmoore:
If I see myself in any embassy in any of my dreams, I will cast and bind after I wake up.

cool
Totally cool

...but when you do the hammering, discover Africa too, cultures, peoples sights and sounds....our very poor and very beautiful continent...the way a lot of us know in and out of Malta and not Senegal is rather deflating, you know? My opinion though
....makes sense, don't you think?
I get it if it does not, and forgive me for the preaching

Cheers

1 Like

Re: My Experience At The US Embassy by Nobody: 10:40pm On Sep 17, 2015
jmoore:

Amen! That's the spirit!!! kiss
Re: My Experience At The US Embassy by Nobody: 10:47pm On Sep 17, 2015
milychocs:
Hi OP
When I went to the US embassy for my visa
...the only reason I gave was that I was going to see my relatives...not bro, sis, mama, papa, bobo, bebe
...and I am an adult, single...
And I got the visa

Now to my point, and with no disrespect meant, you and I do not know the workings of the US embassy...the reason why we are not staff there I guess

And I remember something else...the day I went, I had my weaves out and could not for some reason comb or dress it (so picture natural, short and unruly dada, yup, that was me that day)

And I was shivering from the AC...add to the above and I am sure I wasn't screaming elegance and sophistication..in fact crack headed lipsrsealed
Back to my point, no one knows exactly why

Thank you
And I sincerely don't gerrit, the hype for obodo oyibo visas,...okay now, this is just me choosing Africa over and over again, flaws and all
I am sorry!!!
And I guess I am a bit of a hypocrite on this matter, however.... lipsrsealed

And what is your point exactly.?op abeg I will soon be applying kindly update
Re: My Experience At The US Embassy by Nobody: 11:43pm On Sep 17, 2015
hbpeze:

And what is your point exactly.?op abeg I will soon be applying kindly update

Do not let people scare you with instructions
Everyone's destiny is different....no one really knows what they want, experiences differ...you can get info that may paralyse you at the embassy....you double guess a lot, and read meanings in things that may not exist

These could jeopardise one's chances
Is all my point is? shocked
Forgive me if the post of mine you quoted is not helpful

I wanted to use it to spread, I dunno, ?hope?
Cheers

1 Like

Re: My Experience At The US Embassy by Nobody: 11:52pm On Sep 17, 2015
@ poster
...I meant no harm to your thread by posting on here. Today, I am even more preachy than my usual self...I am sorry

Continue...and cheers
Re: My Experience At The US Embassy by tpiander: 2:11am On Sep 18, 2015
There're some people i saw there that came for an interview dressed like they're going to market.

does it actually matter?

Come on. We all know that appearance go a long way to impress your interviewer; be it a job interview or otherwise.

Some applicants couldn't even comport themselves. U know these oyibo ppl know how to intimidate. They'l star right into your eyes&watch your body language trying to psyche you so you have to be well composed.

you'd be surprised.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At The US Embassy by Nobody: 9:09am On Sep 18, 2015
milychocs:

Do not let people scare you with instructions
Everyone's destiny is different....no one really knows what they want, experiences differ...you can get info that may paralyse you at the embassy....you double guess a lot, and read meanings in things that may not exist

These could jeopardise one's chances
Is all my point is? shocked
Forgive me if the post of mine you quoted is not helpful

I wanted to use it to spread, I dunno, ?hope?
Cheers

I get you now.am at the embassy sef

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Should A Lady Share In The Financial Implications Of Her Wedding? / Asaba Inlaw: "In This Whole World You Couldn’t Find Anyone To Marry But An Igbo" / I Have Never Been So Confused!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.