Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,544 members, 7,827,033 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:05 AM

No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". (19520 Views)

University Of Ibadan Ranked Among World’s Best / Admission In ISFOP-BENIN University Made Easy / Only One Nigerian University Made The List Of Top 800 Universities In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by ooshinibos: 5:07pm On Sep 17, 2015
Honestly what do you expect , PDP have neglected the university education for 16 years ...so that their cronies can set up private universities to make more money ..PDP = poverty development party
Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by KingOfFTC(m): 5:09pm On Sep 17, 2015
How come?? Simple,

Cause even the educational system is corrupt to the core!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So its expected

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by Excellent7(m): 5:12pm On Sep 17, 2015
Who is surprised?
I am not surprised!
Six performance criteria were used; "global reputation, research impact, staffing levels and international complexion”
To enhance good understanding of these criteria, permit me to interrogate some of these criteria individually.

Global reputation: How well know are our schools internationally? What is the international perception of each of our schools.Do people and how many foreigners know the strengths of our institutions and want to school or work there.

Research Impact: What new and significant findings are linked to our ivory towers. In what genre of journals are our academics publishing? First grade journals in their fields, 2nd grade or un-rated journals, predatory journals etc. What is the scientific, social, and technological impact of these publications.
How much is the research budget of our universities collectively and individually for the past five years. Is there an established culture of research?

Staffing Levels: What is the quality of staff in our universities? percentage of PhDs on teaching and technical staff? Where did they train? How is there research profile? How much international exposure and collaboration do they have? How many foreign scientists are on our institutions' teaching staff individually and collectively?

International Complexion: What percentage of our students and teaching staff are non-Nigerians. How many flags are represented in this percentage

I guess is clearer why we are so far behind in these rankings.
Significant improvement in our ranking needs deliberate and strategic planning, policy changes and time (at least 6 years).
Teaching is different from research.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by flokii: 5:12pm On Sep 17, 2015
shey Nigeria itself dey part of the top world countries?..

when corruption and bad governance is at its peak..

d whites have lured all our intelligent + upright guys away with visa for their families.. so wat are we saying?

We have mostly dullards and fools left... some even deceive themselves with fasting and prayer forgetting that "faith without work is dead".

1 Like

Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by Nobody: 5:17pm On Sep 17, 2015
BeloHorizonte14:
sometimes i dream of receiving lectures in MIT.

Is it bad?

No it isn't.

But (assuming you are in secondary school).....if you want to make it to MIT....your SAT scores would have to be sky high....and your WAEC has to be filled with A's.Plus....you have to show some evidence of extra-curricular activites, and you have to have some good money in the bank.
Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by jtjohn(m): 5:33pm On Sep 17, 2015
Our leaders has failed us...too many university in d country, out of 700 best university in d world naija is not among what a big shame to our corrupt leaders...in Patrick obahiagbon voice how has the mighty fallen.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by TonyeBarcanista(m): 5:33pm On Sep 17, 2015
This is a very good development to the global education sector. Should any Nigeria institution make the list it will mean that the world has experienced a very big LOW in education

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by Fidelismaria: 5:41pm On Sep 17, 2015
cry sad angry.....shame....giant of africa my foot...
Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by joshrare(m): 5:52pm On Sep 17, 2015
This is what happens when leaders and "Ogas at d top" failed to do the right thing.

Rather than adequately funding the tertiary institutions on ground they prefer add more tertiary institutions... Glorified secondary school though, that's what most of our tertiary institutions are. Because most of our school(tertiary) lacks structure left alone having infrastructure..

Lobatan... Am not suprised but if u doubt me visit some of our so called tertiary institution, you will be marvelled....

Yet we have brains in naija and the brain box also exist here...

Naija "I hail thee"
Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by flokii: 6:01pm On Sep 17, 2015
ritababe:

assuming u say covenant, I for agree

What is convenant?

dat one sef na uni? or glorified secondary school..

where papa abi wetin dem call am dey they treat them like kidz...
somthing that cnt happen in community Jss skol talkless of sss...
that's why we have adults with kids brain everywhere.. it has its own effect on our society too.
abeg go sleep jooor
Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by flokii: 6:15pm On Sep 17, 2015
Lyoncrescent:
Where are all the great akokites, great oau and the rest of the not so great greats. The day government stops giving students of public universities scholarship to subsidize the miserly school fees been paid , is the day universities will rise. Government should fund research and each university should be a center of excellence in at least one field while being self sufficient in raising revenue. The only university in Nigeria that is getting it right is pan Atlantic university. They are trying hard to become a management center of excellence with their Lagos business school. They have strong affiliations with reputable schools and they also teach using the case study method used by Harvard. Covenant is also doing a lot of work in this regard. Endowment funds from alumni and Executive education courses such as advanced management programs can raise serious money for public unis which they can use to fund research, seek international affiliation and improve teaching methods. It is plain irrational that an average primary school fees in Lagos is more expensive than the chicken change public uni students have to pay. Education may be cheap but quality education is expensive cos of continuous research and publications required . Unis have to be self sufficient enventually. Harvard and MIT are private unis

my friend keep your mouth shut...

the Unilag, OAU and co. you are trying to mock probably cos you were denied admission bfor ending up in private uni where they pay alot to buy certificates they dnt merit has been in existence bfor your glorified secondary skols and will continue to be and maintain its standard..

I am proud to have attended Unilag, the uni. of first choice and nation's pride as I wasn't ordered around.. I lived and survived as an adult capable of facing real-life challenges..
my parents are not politicians that send their kids abroad for the best education neglecting their own lands..

what Pride do you have really?
Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by akigbemaru: 6:25pm On Sep 17, 2015
no Nigerian university makes top 700.
Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by Lyoncrescent: 7:27pm On Sep 17, 2015
flokii:

my friend keep your mouth shut...

the Unilag, OAU and co. you are trying to mock probably cos you were denied admission bfor ending up in private uni where they pay alot to buy certificates they dnt merit has been in existence bfor your glorified secondary skols and will continue to be and maintain its standard..

I am proud to have attended Unilag, the uni. of first choice and nation's pride as I wasn't ordered around.. I lived and survived as an adult capable of facing real-life challenges..
my parents are not politicians that send their kids abroad for the best education neglecting their own lands..

what Pride do you have really?

I can see what they taught you at unilag so i would try to clarify my line of thought.

Unilag and the rest of the public universities have an opportunity to be great but the structure of such institutions are stiffling them.

Education is now Global. Unilag is not just competing with the likes of babcock and covenant but also with the likes of Oxford,Harvard and MIT.

If you may, can you mention one course/field in Unilag that is at least reckoned in Africa as the best not to talk of globally.Lagos Business Schools MBA is one of the best in West Africa at least.http://www.eduniversal-ranking.com/business-school-university-ranking-in-nigeria.html

All those things you learnt from those textbooks in unilag was as a result of research done mostly by reserachers not domiciled in unilag

Irony is our lecturers in unilag will kick ass even in harvard in a better enabling environment so its not a capability problem.

We need serious funding to ensure the enabling environment and research. Governments main priority should be funding primary and secondary education while giving unis research funding. the Existing school fees in unilag is heavily subsidized by government to what ends ?. Let schools drive their funding. Former NUC Boss once said without Government subsidy, Average student in University of LAgos would pay over 200k as school fees. That was many years ago.

Unilag may be the uni. of first choice and nation's pride but it is the first of mediocrity not excellence. You can be first in a class and still score 39 Percent. Thats the case of unilag and the rest. If Unilag isnt top 500 in the world and Nigeria is the most populous black nation in the world, what does that tell you ? Celebrating Mediocrity and Not accepting fact is the bane of Nigeria. p.s. All private unis are not exempted. Used unilag as example for clarity of understanding.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by fejikudz(m): 7:35pm On Sep 17, 2015
Lyoncrescent:
Where are all the great akokites, great oau and the rest of the not so great greats. The day government stops giving students of public universities scholarship to subsidize the miserly school fees been paid , is the day universities will rise. Government should fund research and each university should be a center of excellence in at least one field while being self sufficient in raising revenue. The only university in Nigeria that is getting it right is pan Atlantic university. They are trying hard to become a management center of excellence with their Lagos business school. They have strong affiliations with reputable schools and they also teach using the case study method used by Harvard. Covenant is also doing a lot of work in this regard. Endowment funds from alumni and Executive education courses such as advanced management programs can raise serious money for public unis which they can use to fund research, seek international affiliation and improve teaching methods. It is plain irrational that an average primary school fees in Lagos is more expensive than the chicken change public uni students have to pay. Education may be cheap but quality education is expensive cos of continuous research and publications required . Unis have to be self sufficient enventually. Harvard and MIT are private unis
You've said it all.. but what about countries that offer tuition free education e.g gemany,norway,finland,sweden
Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by eminemkayc: 7:46pm On Sep 17, 2015
Western countries keep ranking their universities top notch. But the question i always ask myself is, who are the researchers who develop the russian Sukhoi 47 (Su-47), the Su-35s, the Su-40s, the Tu-95s(bear bomber-nuclear armed), the Tu-160s, Iskander missles, FOAB(father of all bombs) etc Aren't these scientists and researchers, products of the russian educational system? statistics on global fire power shows that they are the second most powerful nation on the planet, so how come their universities are underrated? same as the chinese? something seems to be wrong somewhere...
Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by BeloHorizonte14: 7:53pm On Sep 17, 2015
bushdoc9919:

No it isn't.

But (assuming you are in secondary school).....if you want to make it to MIT....your SAT scores would have to be sky high....and your WAEC has to be filled with A's.Plus....you have to show some evidence of extra-curricular activites, and you have to have some good money in the bank.

Thanks Bro.

So now that i have graduated nko?
Can't i still apply, even with a PgD from a Nigerian University?
Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by Lyoncrescent: 7:54pm On Sep 17, 2015
fejikudz:
You've said it all.. but what about countries that offer tuition free education e.g gemany,norway,finland,sweden

Like that you said tuition free education. How many of us can send our children to public primary and secondary schools ? Thats the koko.

Whats the population of those countries to nigeria and whats the level of development/infrastructure ?

Dont know the policy frameworks of those countries but what i know for sure is that until Government has invested in public primary and secondary schools such that we can save and stop spending at least 50k per term for a child to learn ABC in a private primary school, Government subsidzing public uni fees is a waste.Research funding is the way forward. GEJ opened 7 new universities. Number of public primary and secondary schools are the same since military rule. It should be illegal and a Sin for any child not to have quality and free primary and secondary education;It should be free for every child. University on the other hand isnt for everybody.
Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by Nobody: 7:59pm On Sep 17, 2015
@ OP

Aren't you talking about those rotten infrastructure and filthy environment?! cry cry cry cry cry cry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by flokii: 8:00pm On Sep 17, 2015
eminemkayc:
Western countries keep ranking their universities top notch. But the question i always ask myself is, who are the researchers who develop the russian Sukhoi 47 (Su-47), the Su-35s, the Su-40s, the Tu-95s(bear bomber-nuclear armed), the Tu-160s, Iskander missles, FOAB(father of all bombs) etc Aren't these scientists and researchers, products of the russian educational system? statistics on global fire power shows that they are the second most powerful nation on the planet, so how come their universities are underrated? same as the chinese? something seems to be wrong somewhere...

Please tell that Slowpoke up there that keeps hating on Naija top skols...
Tell him how the westerners play politics with global University ranking..
Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by Nobody: 8:04pm On Sep 17, 2015
Quota system education breeds mediocrity
Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by Nobody: 8:14pm On Sep 17, 2015
Tunagee:

who cares! That does not stop Nigeria from being one of the most fortunate, blessed country in the world with resources and opportunities for business growth which explains why are multinationals come to Nigeria

Some of us do care....we really do care. The future of every nation depends on the proper education of its youths. If our system keeps churning out half naked fools due to our backward institutions, where's our future? Multinationals ate here because WE lack the ability and technical knowledge know how to manage our resources!

Nigeria's really in an unfortunate situation. Smart leadership is the best resources any nation could ever get.
Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by Nobody: 8:30pm On Sep 17, 2015
BeloHorizonte14:

Thanks Bro.

So now that i have graduated nko?
Can't i still apply, even with a PgD from a Nigerian University?

I am not sure.....but you can check their website...and find out.
Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by Nobody: 8:32pm On Sep 17, 2015
Tunagee:

who cares! That does not stop Nigeria from being one of the most fortunate, blessed country in the world with resources and opportunities for business growth which explains why are multinationals come to Nigeria
this is a very lacking mentality.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by BeloHorizonte14: 8:44pm On Sep 17, 2015
bushdoc9919:

i have checked through google but nothing meaningful.
Please help me with the website.
Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by BeloHorizonte14: 8:44pm On Sep 17, 2015
bushdoc9919:

i have checked through google but nothing meaningful.
Please help me with the website.
Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by oyetunder(m): 8:51pm On Sep 17, 2015
Corruption!!!! Even with proper funding...the habits of sexual harassment...rape...intimidation...ect among uncountable gorilla lecturers roaming the jungles of naija campuses nko! Chai! There is God Oh.
Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by dododawa1: 9:13pm On Sep 17, 2015
What Nigeria know best is, UNIVERSITY student is better POLYTECHNIC student finish.

1 Like

Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by austobadolala: 11:03pm On Sep 17, 2015
Gosh! Wot abou madonna university ,nigeria..tot it was d best in africa.
Re: No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". by Kunlexic(m): 11:18pm On Sep 17, 2015
With these,am nore schooling in 9ja,lemme go and school in France

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Check Ur Unilorin List Here And Good Luck / Peace Mass Transit Boss, Sam Onyishi Set To Extend Midas’ To University Educatio / Difference Between University And Poly Diploma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.