Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,574 members, 7,823,495 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:54 AM

A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. (1912 Views)

The Interior Of Jimoh Ibrahim's Dubai Office (Photos) / Nigerians Blast Jimoh Ibrahim Over "Goodluck Jonathan Is An Armed Robber" Tweet / "Goodluck Jonathan Is Anini, An Armed Robber With PhD" - Jimoh Ibrahim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. by Macelliot(m): 2:33pm On Sep 18, 2015
Editor’s note: Yusuf Jimoh Aweda, the director of the Center for Human Rectitude and Naij.com guest author, raises a pressing issue of growing Islamophobia in Nigeria, the country, where the Muslim community accounts for about 50% of the overall population.
Undoubtedly, the Boko Haram insurgency in the northeast Nigeria has contributed to the problem that is tantamount to a catastrophy in a multireligious society. In general, nowadays Islamophobia is a growing trend all over the world.

Numerous terrorist organizations like ISIS, Al-Qaeda and others are doing their best in instigating violence among the Muslim communities and ruining the goodwill of Islam. One cannot disagree that the issue of Islamophobia needs to be urgently addressed.

Yusuf Jimoh Aweda has compaired two approaches to tackling the problem – Nigerian and American, and here is what he has found out. The recent inspiringly pitiful story of Ahmad Muhammad of MacArthur High School in Irving, USA, has sparked an outrage towards the school officials and the police’s actions, and generated a huge crowd of supporters of the boy, whose alluring technological clock invention was mistook for a bomb, and who was thereafter handcuffed and taken to juvenile detention. Islamophobia has always been a dreaded tool used not only to dent the goodwill of the Muslims, but also to horrifyingly violate their fundamental human rights. This is something every upright Muslim experiences on a daily basis. But the case of Nigeria is quite different.
Outrageous barbarism Tuesday,
February 5, 2013.
The people of Lagos in Nigeria were jolted off their feet over a disturbing story of Aisha Alabi, a secondary school pupil, who was allegedly flogged 40 times by Mrs E.C Ukpaka, the principal of Kadara Junior School in Ebute Metta, Lagos state, for wearing hijab during the school hours. Such disrespectful violation of the right to freedom of expression and religion was also reported a few weeks later, when Elizabeth Omidele, the Mafoluku Senior Grammar School principal, was accused of harassing a girl named Barira by telling her to pull off her hijab outside the school premises. The embarrassing and the most disturbing part of the above “human annihilation” stories above was the disposition of the Lagos state government, headed by Babatunde Fashola at the time. His reaction to the issues was more than worrisome. The case was frustrated through systematic delay tactics by not only prolonging the judgment, but also by massacring the genuine justice when the judgment was finally announced in court.

And how it was in the USA?

President Barack Obama has invited the wrongly violated victim of the “bomb” clock, Ahmad Muhammad, to bring his invention to the White House in order to show disapproval of the injustice and Islamophobia. At the same time, no apology was rendered neither to the Lagos Muslims, nor to the pupils by the Lagos state government for a deliberate “violation of integrity” by the school principals, though the innocent pupils were just trying to express their faith. This is the right guaranteed by the Nigerian Constituion. No reversal of the unfair judgment by Mr Raji Fashola’s Lagos State led Government that was proclaimed to ultimately ban Muslim girls from wearing hijabs, which is a core part of their moral and spiritual rites during the school hours in the Lagos State Secondary Schools that is being funded by tax payer’s money. The Center For Human Rectitude, along with other well meaning Nigerians hereby humbly plead to the current Lagos State Governor, Governor Akinwunmi Ambode. We have always known him as an intelligent and a gentle man who would not jeopardize an atom of integrity of the people of Lagos that has been preserved by Law for any cost. We hope passionately that he would help pass oxygen to the “dying truth” concerning the usage of hijab in secondary schools in Lagos State by reversing the diabolical judgment that was passed to ban the wearing of hijab in secondary schools during the last “controversial” administration by his predecessor. We hope this would be done soon so that our young Muslim girls can exude their religious rights within the auspices of the Law in their various Lagos State Secondary Schools.
source:
https://www.naij.com/553996-worrisome-growing-trend-islamophobia-nigeria.html
Lalasticlala
Re: A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. by Macelliot(m): 2:37pm On Sep 18, 2015
Imagine, being a 9yrs-old kid and wondering why your teacher decided to call on you and ask you why your faith advocates for bombing. - halimah Ello
Re: A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. by whirlwind7(m): 2:39pm On Sep 18, 2015
This fear is real, and with good reason too.
It is what the religion brought upon itself.

No matter how good and how well it's intention is, the religion somehow teaches extreme ideologies which, only those who are strong willed and intelligent can resist it and maintain a balanced view.

Seriously, it's phobia isn't even wide spread in the country yet.

With the way female suicide bombers have successfully hidden IEDs under their hijab when going for suicide bombings, you'd think the leaders in that part of the country would have called for at least, a temporary ban on hijab.
But of course not. They won't. Securing human life doesn't seem so important.

4 Likes

Re: A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. by JustCalMeDBoss(m): 2:44pm On Sep 18, 2015
Who would not be afraid of islam. 90 percent of world troubles are caused by them.

5 Likes

Re: A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 2:51pm On Sep 18, 2015
You should have moved this thread to the religion section.
Re: A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. by Nobody: 2:52pm On Sep 18, 2015
Macelliot:

Huh! My brother na so we see am ooo. okay we already agree the people from the red mud region are anti-islamic so there's no big deal about that but the ones that baffle me the most are the Yoruba ones.Were it not for God's intervention, Osun state today would have been in ruins. For example,i have so many christians in my family, sometimes i imagine if a violence were to break out will i fall out with them too? Yoruba land is too multi-religious. i really don't give a rat arse about what's happening in other regions.Sometimes i read comments from some yorubas here and i'm like.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. by ERODEDEAST(f): 2:54pm On Sep 18, 2015
DIS PEOPLE LIKE WAHALA SHA,
NO, MUSLIMS ARE 75% OF NIGERIA'S POPULATION IF YOU LIKE

DON'T DRESS IN AN ARABIAN WAY TO WESTERN SCHOOLS DEM NO GO HEAR

YOUR ANSARUDEEN IS THERE IF YOU LIKE DRESS LIKE MASQUERADE THERE

7 Likes

Re: A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. by Nobody: 2:55pm On Sep 18, 2015
IdisuleOurOwn:
You should have moved this thread to the religion section.

Loool dem go soon come.OP you better quickly move this thread away from here to the religion section before people who are high on hatermycine destroy it cheesy cheesy
Re: A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. by wisdomguy4u(m): 2:55pm On Sep 18, 2015
The fear of islam is the beginning of wisdom

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. by journerman(m): 2:57pm On Sep 18, 2015
When does the muslims become a victim please
Re: A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. by atlwireles: 2:57pm On Sep 18, 2015
If this OP and his fellow hysterical bearded fanatics are screaming Islamophobia .
You know somebody somewhere is doing something right. angry angry angry angry angry angry

OP tell your lunatic Islamists, Islamophobia, it's the fear of getting your head chopped off in the middle of a street in broad daylight, in front of your family.

9 Likes

Re: A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. by Ramon92: 3:06pm On Sep 18, 2015
All those shyte written by that man would have made sense only if Islam truly respects MAN as he is, his beliefs as well as others' and democracy as a whole...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. by Tallesty1(m): 3:08pm On Sep 18, 2015
Ok

1 Like

Re: A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. by Macelliot(m): 3:10pm On Sep 18, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Huh! My brother na so we see am ooo. okay we already agree the people from the red mud region are anti-islamic so there's no big deal about that but the ones that baffle me the most are the Yoruba ones.Were it not for God's intervention, Osun state today would have been in ruins. For example,i have so many christians in my family, sometimes i imagine if a violence were to break out will i fall out with them too? Yoruba land is too multi-religious. i really don't give a rat arse about what's happening in other regions.Sometimes i read comments from some yorubas here and i'm like.

If I may ask, Why is it that Sunni Muslims and Shiite/Shia Muslims are bombing themselves in the middle-east over being more Islamic that the other?
I mean, Why are Muslims bombing themselves?

4 Likes

Re: A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. by Nobody: 3:12pm On Sep 18, 2015
Macelliot:

If I may ask, Why is it that Sunni Muslims and Shiite/Shia Muslims are bombing themselves in the middle-east over being more Islamic that the other?

I would like to educate you in detail about the sunni-shia conflict but not here. You have to move this thread to the religion section
Re: A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. by sdindan: 3:13pm On Sep 18, 2015
Next time another Ahmed will come to school with a real clock bomb
And you know the rest

3 Likes

Re: A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. by kenny987(f): 3:15pm On Sep 18, 2015
Nigeria is a secular country. All her institutions are effectively same apart from core religious ones like the Pilgrims Boards. A government school is therefore one and all students must appear in appropriate uniforms specified by the school unless there are no uniforms.

Talking of Islamophobia, why has the author not referred to constant attacks on Christians by same Muslims? If one converts from Islam to Christianity the person is subject to death unless he/she manages to escape! So how tolerant have they been?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. by DonXavi(m): 3:20pm On Sep 18, 2015
The islamophobia in Nigeria is quite justified by the terror the islamists have cast into the hearts of people.

Look at Chad, even as an islamic country has banned the wearing of hijab. And this is a country that is not even the hotbed of the Islamist's atrocities, but they saw the need to be proactive and hence the banning of hijab in order to forestall the attack of this islamists.

And here we are even as the most affected by the inhumane activities of this islamists and the terror they've cast into the hearts of our people seeing someone advocate for what we've seen severally as a mode with which this islamists have used unsuspectingly to perpetrate their evil activities. And at the same time try condemn us for having phobia for islam.

2 Likes

Re: A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. by Nobody: 3:23pm On Sep 18, 2015
Macelliot:

Aaaaah! after going through your post history, e be like say you sef na hatermycine drunkard ooo and mumu me is responding to you like you're a muslim grin grin.no wonder even this your comment gan e get as e be. it takes being very smart to detect the bigotry cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy.Goodbye!

1 Like

Re: A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. by yang(m): 3:27pm On Sep 18, 2015
Ask the OP to tell us the punishment for Apostacy in Islam

Islamophobia is bullshit phrase coined up by towelheads to justify their demonic religion which seeks to impose Sharia as a way of life on all of its believers and chop of the heads of non believers

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. by ndcide(m): 3:40pm On Sep 18, 2015
When people supported shecaw?
I see shecaw in PMB.
That's how good it is.
Re: A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. by xtervaganza(m): 4:06pm On Sep 18, 2015
Islamophobia or islam no tolerant?

There wouldn't be problem if you guys are tolerant of other religion

At this time a Muslim with common sense should be more concerned about the evil islam has caused (isis and co) than some fake Islamophobia theory
Re: A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. by gists: 4:27pm On Sep 18, 2015
Religion intolerance has always been in Nigeria.
But PDP and the drunkard fisherman that wanted to hang on to power by all means (even though he had nothing to show) thought the best thing to do was to hammer on the fragile religious fault-line in the country. GEJ and PDP really took Nigeria back to the stone ages (forget the BH terrorists - there have always been ragheads like that in the country without things getting to that level).

That 1d!ot called FFK came and said 80% of APC governors are muslims - I mean what was he trying to achieve? Is it not to instigate islamophobia? Southwest that has never really cared about the religion of the governors suddenly started asking choosing governors based on religion. Imagine someone asking what faith does Gov. Ambode belong to when he won the APC primaries in election. T

The religious divide/intollerance (and by extension islamophobia) has never that pronounced in the country until the last set of PDP executhieves came to power. This is the greatest disservice in opinion and I can't thank God enough that PDP/GEJ were voted out. The "mind-reconditioning" and reconsiliation will begin after a while.
Re: A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. by Demmzy15(m): 4:40pm On Sep 18, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Aaaaah! after going through your post history, e be like say you sef na hatermycine drunkard ooo and mumu me is responding to you like you're a muslim grin grin.no wonder even this your comment gan e get as e be. it takes being very smart to detect the bigotry cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy.Goodbye!
grin cheesy grin grin grin
Re: A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. by finaly01: 4:57pm On Sep 18, 2015
Each year, thousands of Christian homes and churches are torched or bombed by Muslim mobs, and hundreds of Christians , including dozens of priests , pastors, nuns and other church workers are murdered at the hands of Islamic extremists. The so-called justification varies, from charges of apostasy or evangelism, to purported "blasphemy" or "insulting " Islam. Innocent people have even been hacked to death by devout Muslims over cartoons. Yet, there is little if any violent retaliation from religious Christians to the discrimination, kidnapping , rape , torture , mutilation and murder that is routinely reported from nations with Muslim majorities. Neither is there is any significant deadly terrorism in the name of Jesus, as there is in the stated cause of Allah each and every day. Muslim clerics in the West do not fear for their safety as do their Christian counterparts.
Re: A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. by DonXavi(m): 5:52pm On Sep 18, 2015
gists:
Religion intolerance has always been in Nigeria.
But PDP and the drunkard fisherman that wanted to hang on to power by all means (even though he had nothing to show) thought the best thing to do to hammer on the fragile religious fault-line in the country. GEJ and PDP really took Nigeria back to the stone ages (forget the BH terrorists - there have always been ragheads like that in the country without things getting to that level).

That 1d!ot called FFK came and said 80% of APC governors are muslims - I mean what was he trying to achieve? Is it not to instigate islamophobia? Southwest that has never really cared about the religion of the governors suddenly started asking choosing governors based on religion. Imagine someone asking what faith does Gov. Ambode belong to when he won the APC primaries in election. T

The religious divide/intollerance (and by extension islamophobia) has never that pronounced in the country until the last set of PDP executhieves came to power. This is the greatest disservice in opinion and I can't thank God enough that PDP/GEJ were voted out. The "mind-reconditioning" and reconsiliation will begin after a while.
Please don't try to shift the blame to some other quarters. Gej is not the one bombing and slitting the throat of innocent people in the north. While he was in office you lot politicised everything about boko haram to the extent that you claimed Shekau was a Christian and that the PDP was the sponsor.

You didn't want them to talk about the percentage of Muslims that occupied certain high positions but you castigated Gej nonstop while presenting your unsubstantiated proofs that he hated Muslims.

The islamophobia you see in Nigeria today and in the world at large is based on what islam has done and is doing in its effort to propagate the Islamic religion and establish their sharia law worldwide via terrorism. The harm this people have caused is conspicuous even to the blind. So who no go fear Islam?
Re: A Growing Trend Of Islamophobia In Nigeria - Yusuf Jimoh Aweda. by stanech: 6:11pm On Sep 18, 2015
This is their next mission. They have succeeded in placing one of their own on the seat the next move now is domination, The want to freel express themselves in other countries but they won't allow someone to drink a beer in kano state.

I pity the christians in the southwest.

As an Igbo man I know m tribe is anti Islam and it will continue to remain so

(1) (Reply)

Niger Delta Avengers Are Ignorant, Stupid And Cowards / Omotowa: How Nigeria, Six Other Oil Producers Failed To Save For Rainy Day / Muhammadu Buhari: The Challenges Of Leadership In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.