Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,398 members, 7,822,835 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! (336653 Views)

Nurses Forum: Let's Meet Here / Medical Doctors In Residency Programmes In Nigeria / More Than 5000 Nigeria-trained Medical Doctors Practise In Us’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (67) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by beneli(m): 7:57pm On Dec 01, 2009
styrax:

@beneli
We share common interest in entering nigeria's hmo scene, i have this novel idea that might interest you

I am all ears eyes.
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by styrax(m): 8:59am On Dec 03, 2009
beneli:

I am all ears eyes.
Doing things a little differently, using help of technology to make health available for subscribers while "roaming" using programmable EMV compliant smartcards that have sizable memory to contain holder's biodata, detailed medical history and secure link to extended medical records and imaging on hosted servers.

So instead of declaring primary care providers, subscribers can walk into any participating care provider and be attended to without being subjected to rigor of extensive clarking and what-not, also will help to reduce frauds in claims by care providers and the rest of that.

Just acquired the necessary hardware and did extensive software coding to bring up a unique solution for nigeria health care and insurance. I quite understand, similar things are being used extensively in europe especially germany and france.

Of course can go into too much details than this, otherwise i will be sounding like a nerd.

so what sayeth thou?
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by beneli(m): 2:02pm On Dec 03, 2009
styrax:

Doing things a little differently, using help of technology to make health available for subscribers while "roaming" using programmable EMV compliant smartcards that have sizable memory to contain holder's biodata, detailed medical history and secure link to extended medical records and imaging on hosted servers.

So instead of declaring primary care providers, subscribers can walk into any participating care provider and be attended to without being subjected to rigor of extensive clarking and what-not, also will help to reduce frauds in claims by care providers and the rest of that.

Just acquired the necessary hardware and did extensive software coding to bring up a unique solution for nigeria health care and insurance. I quite understand, similar things are being used extensively in europe especially germany and france.

Of course can go into too much details than this, otherwise i will be sounding like a nerd.

so what sayeth thou?

I think you are on to something here, my friend.

First question: Is the idea/product 'patentable'? If so try to secure it as your Intellectual Property with the Nigerian Patent Office that way you won't be worried that somebody else will run to the banks with it!

Am i interested? I think i am. There is something in your idea that is very useful. We need to obviously sit down and work out what is workable in the Nigerian terrain and what is not. I am still trying to get through the hurdles of getting a HMO registered. I am stuck in the form-buying stage. I should be in Naija early next year to push on a little more. Unfortunately the crises in the banking sector has put me back several months because the product i have (which also is novel and therefore patented) has a lot to do with the banks.

What next then you may ask? I suggest that you get the product registered as an Intellectual Property, so that when we start to talk we will be talking as equals. When i registered my product it cost me about 60k in Naira.

What sayeth thou ?(i like that phrase, so i apologise for borrowing it from you. I didn't plan to steal your mojo or anything!)

PS: Where are u based?
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by styrax(m): 6:06pm On Dec 03, 2009
beneli:

I think you are on to something here, my friend.

First question: Is the idea/product 'patentable'? If so try to secure it as your Intellectual Property with the Nigerian Patent Office that way you won't be worried that somebody else will run to the banks with it!

Am i interested? I think i am. There is something in your idea that is very useful. We need to obviously sit down and work out what is workable in the Nigerian terrain and what is not. I am still trying to get through the hurdles of getting a HMO registered. I am stuck in the form-buying stage. I should be in Naija early next year to push on a little more. Unfortunately the crises in the banking sector has put me back several months because the product i have (which also is novel and therefore patented) has a lot to do with the banks.

What next then you may ask? I suggest that you get the product registered as an Intellectual Property, so that when we start to talk we will be talking as equals. When i registered my product it cost me about 60k in Naira.

What sayeth thou ?(i like that phrase, so i apologise for borrowing it from you. I didn't plan to steal your mojo or anything!)

PS: Where are u based?

Well said.

I am a medical doctor based in lagos somewhere in Ikoyi, I am into General Practice and I do a lot of software development, I have a number of completed and ongoing work in and out of medical practice.

I would have asked for your email initially but you know how these things are, trust is a big issue and nobody wants to be spammed. We can carry on this discussion via email styraxsystems@yahoo.com.

Thank you for the copyright angle, right on it!
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by beneli(m): 11:08am On Dec 04, 2009
@Styrax, i have sent you an email.
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by styrax(m): 12:21am On Dec 05, 2009
@beneli

sorry, was at the movies, went to see the worst movie of the century 'New Moon', please if they drag you to watch it, close your eyes! its not worth seeing.

Check your mail box.

Wish you a great weekend.
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by beneli(m): 7:30pm On Dec 05, 2009
@ Styrax,
Thanks. I won't go and see 'New Moon' then, even if somebody puts a gun to my head!

I have responded to your mail.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend then!
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Drpappy(m): 8:32pm On Dec 07, 2009
This is such a useful forum, thanks to all those who have posted constructive articles, are there any budding surgeons in the house?

2 Likes

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by imconfused(f): 5:39pm On Dec 09, 2009
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by beneli(m): 1:55pm On Dec 10, 2009
@imconfused,
Sorry for the late response to your post-i was drop dead busy in the last 48 hours and hardly checked my mails!

You can send me a copy of the CV at elias_beneli@yahoo.com(that is elias underscore beneli), and we'll take it from there.

Best regards
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by imconfused(f): 12:06am On Dec 11, 2009
beneli, hi
thanks for replying
i sent it to u and it just did a mailer daemon
d email address seems to have a problem?
pls get bak to me
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by beneli(m): 12:08pm On Dec 11, 2009
@imconfused,
I have recieved it.
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by imconfused(f): 1:38pm On Dec 11, 2009
beneli,
ur an angellllll
thank youuuuuuuuuuu
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by butter(m): 10:57pm On Dec 14, 2009
this section has got to be one of the most informative in the entire forum. beneli, i think you should get most of the credit for keeping this section of the forum alive and active.

i have question, i know this is a medical doctors forum, but i have a question.

I'm a dentist, been practicing for awhile now, I'm thinking of getting an mph via long distance educ. online from the university of Liverpool. now i know from this forum that opportunities exist for mph holders in NGOs, WHO etc, but discussions here would seem to suggest that an mph suits medical doctors rather than dentists. is this true?,

also I've gone though the curriculum and contacted the enrollment adviser who assured me that there's literary no difference between the on campus and online course, i must admit though, I'm a bit skeptical, do we know of anyone who has gotten an mph online and does the online nature of the program "depreciates" the degree so to speak.

thirdly are there any scholarships for mph programs that one can access?
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by beneli(m): 10:54am On Dec 15, 2009
@butter,
I think that the reason i am able to respond to some of the things here is because i have been able to arrange my work in such a way that i spend a lot of time preparing medico-legal reports, looking for information online and that sort of thing. So i have a lot of access to the internet. I have paid my dues and can allow the junior doctors/staff to do all the 'dirty' work!

Now to the questions.

butter:

I'm a dentist, been practicing for awhile now, I'm thinking of getting an mph via long distance educ. online from the university of Liverpool. now i know from this forum that opportunities exist for mph holders in NGOs, WHO etc, but discussions here would seem to suggest that an mph suits medical doctors rather than dentists. is this true?,

Not true. Anybody can do a MpH. Obviously the job you'd want to apply for later will determine what baseline qualification is more important. Some don't specify a first degree in Medicine. They may just mention something like a 'graduate degree in public health', like the one on this link http://unjobs.org/vacancies/1260685601845

butter:

also I've gone though the curriculum and contacted the enrollment adviser who assured me that there's literary no difference between the on campus and online course, i must admit though, I'm a bit skeptical, do we know of anyone who has gotten an mph online and does the online nature of the program "depreciates" the degree so to speak.

I almost did an online degree, but didn't go ahead with it as, it was no longer relevant to the direction my career is going. I have heard of a few people who did it, but i don't really know anybody personally. But to be honest, i doubt that the online nature of the course 'depreciates' the degree. I may be wrong of course. However, the advise would be for you to be clear which of the Public Health streams, would take you to where you want to go eventually. To help you with that, you may want to do a bit of research on what the job prospects are for each of the streams. A place to start would be the person specifications in some of the vacancies on sites such as the unjobs link that i gave above. I also think that squeezing out a publication or two from the topic you choose while doing the degree (online or not) would most certainly give you an edge while job hunting in the international scene.

butter:

thirdly are there any scholarships for mph programs that one can access?

There may be. You can start here and see where it takes you. http://ukinnigeria.fco.gov.uk/en/working-with-nigeria/chevening-scholarships

All the best
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by butter(m): 1:05pm On Dec 15, 2009
beneli, thanks a million for this insightful reply. I'll follow your advise and do my research first. i didn't really think about doing research before going in for the program.

thanks again.
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by adaphik(f): 3:46pm On Dec 26, 2009
@ poster, i must say, this topic is highly insightful. The thread is awesome. I appreciate every contributor here, its been extremely helpful to me. @ Beneli & Co, u guys r good. Thank u & God bless.
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Tudor6(f): 11:32am On Jan 02, 2010
Hello have you guys tried the military?

How comparable is the salary military doctors earn with their civilian counterparts?
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by allycat: 3:34pm On Jan 10, 2010
I hope you do not mean the Nigerian Military?? Nobody should make that mistake.Although not a military personnel I worked with them for over a decade. Salaries are poor, career progression is slow, the hospitals are ill equiped and the Medical doctors and other professionals are looked down on by the combatant soldiers.

Now back to my hobby horse, Private Medical practice in Nigeria. I have just spent the last 2 weeks in India on a visit to an Indian hospital. I accompanied an ill relative and this visit reinforces what I have always felt about PP in medicine. It is our only saviour. On the street the hospital is there are over20 hospitals all privately owned and the average hospital reminds me of Eko hospital or Havana, about 4 storeys each. This does not include clinics which are smaller. They all have patients and because of competition are affordable to their country men. The doctors work hard. Typically surgery starts at 6.30 am and they close at 7pm with a break of about 3 hours for lunch. Cos I am a colleague they were glad to discuss their system with me and everything they said made it apparent that we need to look more at private practice. The issue of Nigerians depending on Government to run hospitals where a grade level 12 officer that never smelt the gates of medical school decides which equipment you have doesn't occur. I tell you that if more doctors in nija go into pp to give quality service and are ready to work hard and not cut corners you wont believe how much advances we will make. Right now its 8pm and I am in the hospitals library which will dust some teaching hospitals departmental libraries in Nija hands down.
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by beneli(m): 6:28pm On Jan 13, 2010
allycat:

Now back to my hobby horse, Private Medical practice in Nigeria. I have just spent the last 2 weeks in India on a visit to an Indian hospital. I accompanied an ill relative and this visit reinforces what I have always felt about PP in medicine. It is our only saviour. On the street the hospital is there are over20 hospitals all privately owned and the average hospital reminds me of Eko hospital or Havana, about 4 storeys each. This does not include clinics which are smaller. They all have patients and because of competition are affordable to their country men. The doctors work hard. Typically surgery starts at 6.30 am and they close at 7pm with a break of about 3 hours for lunch. Cos I am a colleague they were glad to discuss their system with me and everything they said made it apparent that we need to look more at private practice. The issue of Nigerians depending on Government to run hospitals where a grade level 12 officer that never smelt the gates of medical school decides which equipment you have doesn't occur. I tell you that if more doctors in nija go into pp to give quality service and are ready to work hard and not cut corners you wont believe how much advances we will make. Right now its 8pm and I am in the hospitals library which will dust some teaching hospitals departmental libraries in Nija hands down.

India, like play like play, has grown into a very hot health tourism destination. Even people from the UK now go there as health tourists! Of course one of the attractions for people here is that they're offered 'good quality' care for a fraction of the price they would have been offered the same intervention by a private sector provider here. So they must be doing something right! I wonder what it is that they are doing right that we need to copy?

Allycat, since you dey ground there-even if for a few more day, make you give us your thoughts/observations! I am particularly interested in how they ensure quality clinical standards are met (is there any government parastatal tasked with ensuring that standards are met?-i mean do they actually enforce things and not just exist on paper?; is there a workable partnership between the private hospitals and the teaching hospitals, especially with regards to research and training or do the private hospials do their own things?). I am also curious about how developed their health insurance industry is.

I hope your relative gets well quickly though.
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Anchuna: 11:55am On Jan 14, 2010
To all doctors in the house: Since 1994 I have been suffering from malaria parasite; for 16yrs now, it has been my greatest problem and it is really killing. Anytime I go to the hospital, malaria parasite is always diagnosed and malaria drugs always prescribed but after taking those drugs my condition still remain the same, I still feel sick with malaria; body pain, muscle ache, body weakness etc. My concern is, why are those drugs not working for me, why should I be treated and barely a week later still be diagnosed with MP. I have taken all sorts of drugs prescribed by doctors but to no avail. The sickness from this malaria parasite is affecting my productivity at work, my studies, my everything. Please, doctors try and help me, save life.
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by drI: 11:05pm On Jan 14, 2010
Anchuna:

[b]To all doctors in the house: Since 1994 I have been suffering from malaria parasite; for 16yrs now, it has been my greatest problem and it is really killing. Anytime I go to the hospital, malaria parasite is always diagnosed and malaria drugs always prescribed but after taking those drugs my condition still remain the same, I still feel sick with malaria; body pain, muscle ache, body weakness etc. My concern is, why are those drugs not working for me, why should I be treated and barely a week later still be diagnosed with MP. I have taken all sorts of drugs prescribed by doctors but to no avail. The sickness from this malaria parasite is affecting my productivity at work, my studies, my everything. Please, doctors try and help me, save life.

sorry dear for the repeated ailment.you never stated if you had gone for a laboratory test for malaria parasite.I will advise you to visit your doctor and request for full investigations.just dont narrow yourself to malaria.it could be something else.just consult a doctor and if possible a physcician.good luck.
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by beneli(m): 6:11pm On Jan 15, 2010
Anchuna:

To all doctors in the house: Since 1994 I have been suffering from malaria parasite; for 16yrs now, it has been my greatest problem and it is really killing. Anytime I go to the hospital, malaria parasite is always diagnosed and malaria drugs always prescribed but after taking those drugs my condition still remain the same, I still feel sick with malaria; body pain, muscle ache, body weakness etc. My concern is, why are those drugs not working for me, why should I be treated and barely a week later still be diagnosed with MP. I have taken all sorts of drugs prescribed by doctors but to no avail. The sickness from this malaria parasite is affecting my productivity at work, my studies, my everything. Please, doctors try and help me, save life.

To elaborate on the point that Dr I has made in his post above, there can be different reasons for your experiences:

1. You don’t have malaria and you are continuously misdiagnosed.

People can be carriers of the malaria parasite without necessarily being sick of it. Such people would probably test positive on the blood smear, and even if they are treated with anti-malarials may still continue to test positive. In such a scenario, the individual may be suffering from something else and don’t get the necessary intervention they need simply because it is assumed that they suffer from malaria after carrying out a quick malaria parasite blood smear, without checking for other things. That’s why Dr I’ advise to get properly investigated is the ideal thing to do.

2. You may actually have malaria.

This is not unlikely given that Malaria is prevalent in Nigeria; the only problem here though is that an attack is not likely to last for 16 years! So it could be that you actually do get adequately treated, but you still get re-infected with the illness because of constant exposures to the parasites. People become exposed to the malaria parasite when they live near water logged areas and other places where the parasite can breed as in dirty gutters etc. Another option may be that you sometimes don’t access the right drugs. If it’s the first scenario (i.e. you do get adequately treated), then you will need to find ways of preventing re-infection. Some things you could do include buying a mosquito net, ensuring that the gutters around you are not stagnant or, if you can, leaving the area! The latter obviously would be rather dramatic. An easier solution would be to see your local doctor for advice on how to prevent re-infection.

3. I wouldn’t want to go down a third route, but what the heck!

The things that you have described like muscle weakness, body pains etc, that have lead to loss of productivity and a general deterioration in your overall level of functioning, may be symptoms of emotional exhaustion, something i may want to call a somatoform disorder http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somatoform_disorder. Of course that diagnosis needs to be made by somebody knowledgeable about those types of illnesses and would be ruled out if you have fever in addition to those symptoms, so you may need to stick with points 1 and 2 afterall!

All the best
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by daguru(m): 9:55am On Jan 18, 2010
grin
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Anchuna: 10:01am On Jan 18, 2010
Thanks very much dr 1 and beneli for your suggestions. I will do as you suggested and will be given you feed backs on my progress. I sleep in mosquito net and the point I was trying to make is that any time I felt sick I visit the hospital and was always diagnosed and treated for malaria, after one or two weeks again, I will become sick again and go to the hospital and again be diagnosed and treated for malaria and this happen again and again. I just finished taking artesunate drug and for now I am better.
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by ZAYD(m): 5:06pm On Jan 18, 2010
To be a medical doc is not a day jod especially here in nigeria with so many challenges in school. Weldone doctors u are really great.
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by beneli(m): 6:27pm On Jan 18, 2010
daguru:

I made a seemingly crazy decision early last year.I am still wondering if i made the right call (Plz be patient and read thru my story.It spans the last 6 yrs of my life

Some Background Info
==================
Always wanted to be an engineer. This dream spanned my whole primary school days ranging from Automobile Engineering to Chemical, then Electrical, then Systems Engineering and Finally Electrical Electronics Engineering.

Ive never been a book worm but never had issues with school work. Came first in class from primary 1 till ss3 (plz dont doubt me).I only studied when it was time for exams but played like hell in between.

A wrong turn
============
I am the second son.My dad always wanted my elder bro to become a doc. So he spent a lot on his personal education so he could secure admission to study medicine preferably at the University of Ibadan. After the fourth jamb with my bro never scoring above a 250 (in those days cut of marks for medicine was like 290), there was a lot of unhappiness in the house.

Ma bro felt ma dad hated him so much so he RAN AWAY FROM HOME FOR CLOSE TO A YEAR.

This was in 2002.I was in ss3 and was getting ready to write jamb.(Already had A's and B's in GCE i wrote in ss2). One evening my dad had a heart attack after hearing reports of what his first son had become outside of home. That when i felt this strong need to do something about the situation.

My Bro finally came back home with some elders to reconcile with ma dad. It turned out that the bone of contention between them was TO OR NOT TO BECOME A DOCTOR.

Thats when i stepped out and offered to drop my dreams of becoming an engineer for medicine. My reasoning then was that IF ALL MEDICINE REQUIRES WAS SOMEONE GOOD AT STUDING AND PASSING EXAMS THEN I AM UP TO THE TASK.

Ive always hated biology cuz i felt it was not enough of a mental challenge compared to physics, chemistry and further mathematics. So had to buy mordern biology and study it cover to cover. (THIS WAS MY FIRST REAL ACADEMIC CHALLENGE,  having just 1 month to master a subject i had a huge distaste for)

WROTE JAMB AND SCORED 286. I HAVE NEVER SEEN MY DAD HAPPIER. From then on, he treated me like a king. His health rapidly improved. I felt i made the right choice.

I made merit list at the University of Ibadan while my bro got admitted to study materials and metallurgical engineering at FUTO.

AN UNFORTUNATE INCIDENT
====================
On my way to admission clearance i was involved in a fatal Road Traffic Accident on Lagos Ibadan ExpressWay. People died but i survived not without spending the next six months at UCH, Had a plastic surgery for my face and Metal Implants to fix my 2 thighs.
Had to defer my admission so lost one year.

On the brighter side, this gave me the opportunity to study first hand the profession i was about to go into.
TOO BAD, ALL I OBSERVED WAS EVERYTHING I DIDNT WANT FOR MYSELF.

During a cons ward round, my consultant Mr Omololu, realising i was soon to jion the ranks as a medical student asked me why i wanted to become a doctor.
I cant remember my response but he ended it was with a sarcastic remark about me wanting to sacrifice the next 15 years of my life without knowing why.

HIS REMARK CHANGED EVERYTHING. From that moment i hated thinking of my self as a doctor. This made me think seriously about hatching an escape plan.

NO GOING BACK
===============
I resumed UI as a 100 level student whose sole aim for the year is to leave medical school at all cost. This made me register all the maths courses engineering students take (1st year medical students don't take any maths course). I found out that i needed to make a firstclass in my 100 level to stand a chance of being accepted into the faculty of technology. So i studied hard to to achieve that

One morning, after a lecture, my name was announced on the PA that my attention was needed at UCH (thats where the faculty HQ is located). On getting there i was asked to see the faculty officer.
He looked at me with a lot of anger in his eyes (After throwing my course form at me). He thought i made a mistake by including maths courses on my course form.

when i explained that it was intentional and that i didn't want to study medicine anymore, He thought i was joking. He finally told that ONCE A PERSON BECOMES A MEDICAL STUDENT AT UCH, ITS EITHER HE PASSES OUT OR FAILS OUT. and that what i am trying to do is so strange that no room has been built for that possibility in the college system.

he ended with saying that there is nothing he can do for me in that regard that i have not choice but to cancel the registered maths course.

After days of depression, i decided to TIPEX it off my course form without removing it at maths department. I returned it back to him and i had outsmarted an old baurocratic system.

A BIG SHOCKER
===============
i finished 100 level with a 6.7 CGPA.(UI uses a 7 point grade system) and scoring overall highest in 2 of the 3 maths courses. I hurriedly purchased the change of course form, filled it then took me it to see the HOD of Elect/Elect. He was more fatherly than expected. He understood my reasons for wanting to leave medical school. After taking me to see the dean, they both agreed to and signed me into Elect/Elect. I WAS OVERJOYED.

Then i went back to see the faculty officer so they sign me out of medicine. He was shocked at my stubbornness. He told me it was beyond him and if i only had a chance if had the BACKING OF THE PROVOST.

I SPENT THE NEXT ONE MONTH TRYING TO GET THE ATTENTION OF THE PROVOST. Everyday i spent no less than 5 hours in his secretary's office waitng to for my turn to see him. He was either out of the country or having long meetings with important people. I wrote countless letters which i droped with his driver and secretary but none got to hime.

I finnaly got my chance. He impatiently listened to me for 5mins.Thank God for his secretary who intervened when he thot i was wasting his time.

HE TOLD ME WHAT I WAS ABOUT TO DO WAS STRANGE. He couldn't understand why i was throwing away what Old men and Women come to him to lobby for (to get their kids into med school). he asked if my parents were aware of what i was trying to do. My answer was no.

His conclusion was that hje would only give it a serious thot when i bring my father to come see him (VERY VERY IMPOSSIBLE).

Didnt have the strenght to continue the fight so i backed down

A FRUSTRATED MEDICAL STUDENT
==========================
I resumed pre-clinicals a frustrated guy. Nothing made sense to me. Never went for dissections, Physio or BIC practicals.
I soon stopped attending lectures. After woefully failing 2 class test, coupled with the ridicule from my mates about my academic abilities, i decided to buckle up.
I never went to classes. All i did was study hard for upcoming test. with this strategy i was able to score highest in some tests

THE EXIT PLAN
=============
Most of u would have been wondering why i didn't write another jamb. I couldnt cuz i was pretty sure no one would sponsor my education if i tried anything like that. Everyone i talked to couldn't understand y i wanted to leave med school. all they did was paint pictures of how comfortable i would be after graduations. I knew how untrue this was.

So to leave medical school i had to
a) Become financially independent ,  This was no easy task. I Fell in love with IT along the way but couldnt raise funds to go to NIIT. Had to learn the hard way by self study. I currently have a CCNP)

B) Figure out how to deal with all the hell my dad would bring my way.

FINAL MOVE
==============
Soon it was time for mb part 1. I studied half hardheartedly for it. Did the written papers quite well but failed to show up for my viva voce (Oral Exams).
3 wks later, college of medicine wrote to me asking me to explain withing 1 wk why i didnt show up for my Orals. The also sent a copy if it to my dad (listed as my Next of Kin). Unfortunately my dad go his before i got mine. ALL HELL WAS LET LOOSE.

WOULDN'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT ALL THE HELL I WENT THRU. But i stood by my decision.

CONCLUSION
=============
Currently freelancing with my IT skills. Brings in enough mONEY for my fee, food accommodation, education etc. (But sometimes i still wished i had someone to fall back on when tins gets difficult financially.

Ironically, I switched to psychology after i was thrown out of med school. Also studying to become a chartered accountant (Writing ACCA and CIMA).

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP WONDERING IF I MADE THE RIGHT DECISION.

I have read your write-up.

If it gives you any consolation, I know a lot of doctors, who have graduated and still wonder whether they made the right decision!

One of my friends, who graduated as one of the best in his year, abandoned the profession after his house job and now works as a manager in one multinational firm that has nothing to do with Medicine, somewhere in Ireland.

To say whether you have made the right decision or not, is something that only you will have to answer, with time. People can only give their own subjective opinions, so I will give you mine.

I think that it is very important that you pursue a career pathway that your heart resonates with. If your heart is not in Medicine, then my good man, you would have only ended up very frustrated in it. Another friend of mine, who like your self was into the whole Mathematics and Engineering stuff (by our class 4 he had already Aced physics and mathematics in the GCE and was making model aeroplanes), is now an obese, beer-drinking  Aba doctor practicing ‘paraquackery’ with minimal enthusiasm!

He too had been literarily coerced into Medicine, as his parents wanted him to become a Doctor, in spite, of what he really wanted to do with his life (he wanted to become an aeronautical engineer). So, the obedient son he was, he became a Doctor. Albeit a very sad and unfulfilled one with not a lot going for him, except the money which he makes that hardly gives him much pleasure.

The truth is that the story of parents trying to live out their own dreams and aspirations through the lives of their children is one that repeats itself in the lives of professionals and none professionals, in villages, towns, hamlets and cities all over the world. So if it gives you any consolation, you are not alone in some of your experiences. What is most important though is what people do with their lives, in spite of these experiences.

Some people subsequently live their lives blaming their parents and these experiences for everything that goes wrong in their lives, insidiously internalizing a belief that they are failures in life and then living out that self-fulfilling prophecy. While others become gripped with an anger that subsequently inspires them to succeed against odds that appear in the paths of their lives, after they have broken free from the hold of their parents.

The bottom line in all this is this: it is what becomes of your life, subsequently, that will give the final verdict about whether you have made the right decision or not. In other words, you, and your actions alone, will decide if you have made the right decision.

A word of advice though. Please try not to dissipipate yourself in too many things. Be clear what it is you really want to do with your life and focus on it. In your post you started off being interested in Engineering. Now you are studying Psychology and you also want to become a chartered accountant, while freelancing with IT skills. So my good man, the key word should be for you to ‘focus’, listen to your heart and then pursue what it tells you.

All the best

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by bongabiz(m): 1:09am On Jan 23, 2010
I recently passed the Primary exams in Ophthalmology and am scouting for Nigerian residency openings.
Pls I would appreciate any general info you can all share.
Does anyone know how much residents are paid at Eye Foundation?
Thanks
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by allycat: 7:36am On Jan 23, 2010
Beneli,
Sorry for my late reply. I came back home last week to meet chaos on the ground. First I lost a colleague who was involved in an accident while on an okada. Can you imagine !! A doctor dying in an okada accident, what upsets me the most that he even had a car but chose that means of transport to beat traffic. May his gentle soul rest in peace. It is such a waste cos he had the potentials to make a fantastic surgeon.
My domestic front was also upside down as my help of 6 years left me and I haven't found suitable replacement. So right now I am also chief domestic engineer in addition to my other 3 jobs.
What I was able to gather from the Indians I met was that there regulatory bodies were very active and strong. Government is involved in undergraduate medcal training but at the post graduate level most training is in private institutions, the pg colleges regulate which centres can train and take this responsibility quite seriously.
They also have a very strong medical insurance system which works. So most people with a decent job are insured, for those who aren't the prices appeared reasonable cos I dint see anyone negotiating.
They also patronize their home made medical equipment which while not as sophisticated as German equipment is functional and at 1/8th the price sure comes down cheaper. This way the average surgeon is able to do many surgeries and improve his skills. Imagine that the hospital I went to did over 74 surgeries and 102 endoscopes in a week. This is two surgeons with 6 residents and one anaesthetist. My unit in a teaching hospital in Lagos does this amount in maybe 6 months. It is either the equipment is not available, no electricity, no water or no porter to move the patient. That's if the anaesthetist doesn't think your list of 5 cases is too long and he has to go by 4pm.
I have an invitation to go back for observation for at least a month. I will surely take it up and study their system more.
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by beneli(m): 5:17pm On Jan 26, 2010
@Allycat,

Thanks for your response.

Sorry to hear about your colleague that got killed in a RTA. I thought i heard that okada's had been banned in Lagos already, or did i hear incorrectly?

The involvement of their private sector in Postgraduate training is quite an interesting concept. I wonder how they are able to ensure that standards in training are complied with-not that government hospitals are any better, if one were to take the Nigerian experience as an example. What i mean is that the private sector would be more tempted to be guided by mercantile interests, as opposed to real training needs. Anyways, one thing that can be said of the Indians, is that they do take postgraduate training and specialisation very very seriously, and it seems to be paying off for them. In an ideal world there should be a natural-or something almost natural-progression from Internship/house job to specialist training. The bottleneck that exist in Nigeria that makes a lot of people end their training immediately after Medical school is not a very healthy thing for our health sector!

Thanks again and hope you find a new 'help' soon!
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by AppleofGod(f): 6:51pm On Jan 27, 2010
Hello Doctors in the house,

EUROSAFE GROUP LTD is a company which deals on pharmaceutical first aid kit and here are the list wholesale and retailn that we have;

Emergency Blanket
Abdomiinal pad 5" x 9
Sterile latex surgical gloves
Orthopaedic padding
plastic tweezer
Antiseptic cleansing wipe
Mouth to mouth In Revival
Advance Healing Plaster
Eye Pad with Adhesive And Non Adherent Pad
Non Woven Wound Pad
Gauze Swab 3"x3 - 12
Scissors, Tape, Cotton wool 25g, safety pin,
Alcohol spray
Disinfectant Spray

This is in addition to many more. To contact us pls call 08028356103 or 08060206053.

Thank and God bless.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (67) (Reply)

Salary In The Nigerian Army? / Any HSE Professionals In The House? / How Much Is Level 8/2 Based On New Salary Structure?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.