Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,866 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:40 PM

As & As Genotype Marriage - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / As & As Genotype Marriage (20778 Views)

. / Can An "AC" Blood Genotype Go With an "AS" Genotype? / Can Two People With AS Genotype Marry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

As & As Genotype Marriage by Muhad1: 7:37am On Apr 13, 2009
I'm a little under 30yrs old, but have only met a few female of choice for marrage over the last 7 yrs. Presently, I'm looking into marriage proposal to a young lady of good morals that i really love but our genotype seem not to be 100%. we're both AS, but think Amniocentesis might help. pls advice
Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by akman(m): 8:44pm On May 16, 2009
wats ammino, , im in same dilema, i ve dated my gal for 7yrs nd we tinkx bout settlx down now nd dis issue simz to come up from no wer
Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by Ejadamen(f): 9:43pm On May 16, 2009
What is Amniocentesis? Bros, think am twice. It's a gamble for two AS to marry because of the risk of having an SS child. I had a friend that was SS in secondary school. Just watching her when she fell into a crisis was sad enough, watching one's child do that can be heart breaking. God forbid as we say but shine ya eye and do your part.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by Fiona0007: 10:10pm On May 17, 2009
@poster
AS and As would give a baby 25% chance with SS, but the other 75% would be considered normal or just carrier. So there's still a good chance of having healthy babies. I'd suggest discuss with obstetrician for details about diagnostic test in early pregnancy including amniocentesis. In some religions abortion is not an option, in that case you have to accept whatever the baby is born with. Then again not all SS have severe symptoms. It looks like a god idea to see a pre-marriage counsellor for this issue.
Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by shadegirl: 2:21pm On May 18, 2009
My bros, dont just try it. The probability of having healthy children is always 2/3 depending on the dominant. Good luck
Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by lovemarry: 9:45pm On May 18, 2009
can any brother or sister in the house tell me any good hospital town i mean lagos where this diagnostic test in early pregnancy and amniocentesis can be done and i heard the prices are high is it ture?
Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by deardoc: 12:17am On May 25, 2009
hi all,
first of all,i'm sorry if im going to hurt anyone's feelings here but i would like to point out some facts.
why are we trying to be selfish in bringing up a child that may come to this world to suffer.

fiona ,you got it all wrong.there is a 25% chance in each pregnancy to get a sickle cell child,that means if you have 4 children,all of them could be sicklers

in lay man terms,Amniocentesis is sort of sticking a needle into the baby's sac and taking a sample for DNA analysis.Yes you can do that and you have a choice to abort if SS but why take the life of your unborn child.there is a very high risk for spontaneous abortion after the procedure,so you could lose even your normal baby.its not widely practised.
im not aware of any hospital that does it in Nigeria.

our people say PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE.Believe me when you see a child having crisis,you would hate yourself for it.in fact,all the professed love would jump through the window and you and your spouse would be like sworn enemies.

what of if you are destined to have only one child and that was what you aborted.

please this is a very sensitive issue,its forgivable but not acceptable to be truly ignorant about the consequences but it is inexcusable and unforgivable if you enter into the whole thing with your eyes wide open.

has it even occured to you that God could just be warning you that that wasnt your spouse.

THINK DEEP AND ACCEPT THE CONSEQUENCE OF YOUR ACTION

IF YOU WANT MY ADVISE,ITS NOT WORTH THE STRESS

1 Like 1 Share

Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by dominique(f): 11:03am On May 25, 2009
@deardoc
i was in that line of thought till i started seeing a lot of circumsyances tham made having SS not the worst thing in the world

my mums former colleague had 3 kids. . . ons SS two "healthy" (dont know their genotypes). one of the healthy ones had what seemed to be malaria and was dead within a week and the SS is still alive and kicking.

one of my girlfriends is SS and shes very active and lively. she's even chubby. . we do forget her genotype alot

its not easy to break up a loving and healthy relationship because of the 25% statistic of having a sickler. those that want to venture into it should think about the consequences and should be prepared.

you may think i'm ignorant but when you think of other genetic abnormalities like downs, klinefelter's syndromme . . .you'll almost pray you've had a sickler.

just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by deardoc: 8:51pm On May 25, 2009
hi dominique.
thanks for your contribution. i am aware that there are one million illnesses.i'm sure you know that down syndrome and klinefelters syndrome are not something you can determine since they are genetic disease,so people that end up having them were not even aware they had that risk.

ANENCEPHALY IS WORSE AND I SAW ONE IN A 28 YEAR OLD LADY(of course the child did not survive beyond few hours).
what i'm saying is prevention is better than cure.i have a friend more like a sister that is my birhthday mate,each time im celebrating my birthday i pray to God to spare her,she nearly died january this year,the Grace of God kept her.

a lot of them do well when they travel out.their major problem here is malaria,stress and dehydration.

All im saying is if you can prevent a problem,then do so.there is a couple that were dating for over 5years and just before fixing the date of the marriage ,the church insisted on a HIV test and the guy was positive,if the lady was your sister what would you advise.

another case scenerio,true life too,i had a woman that was always coming in with her daughter an SS monthly,i had to ask about the family history,the woman had 6 boys who were healthy but she wanted a girl desperately and she ended up with a girl but spends all her time, money in the hospital.the girl cant walk because of chronic osteo arthritis and is always in so much pain.what would you say that woman did.SHE TEMPTED GOD.

YOU SHOULD BE THINKING OF INVESTING YOUR MONEY AND LEAVING LEGACIES FOR YOUR KIDS NOT DONATING INTO EVERY HOSPITAL FREQUENTLY.

I believe in faith but as i said it is forgivable when you do things in ignorance not when you know the implication and still go ahead with it.i see a lot of couples breaking upover this issue AND playing the blaming game.

when you see these kids in crisis,knowing there is little or nothing you can do for them,it breaks your heart.some say the pain is worse than labour pain,so why bring up a child to this world to suffer knowingly?THATS MY QUESTION

DO WE REALLY KNOW THE MEANING OF LOVE?

marriages these days break up faster than they are made.

if you want to take that risk BE INFORMED AND FACE THE CONSEQUENCES.

1 Like

Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by Fiona0007: 9:16pm On May 25, 2009
@deardoc

Please read again, and will see what i have written is a baby have 25% chance of being SS.
So all four babies can be SS (with too much bad luck!)
or all ten babies can be healthy (either carrier or normal).
Most importantly not all SS have serious complications. So it's for the couple to get a proper counselling and make an informed decision. Thanks.
Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by dominique(f): 10:23am On May 27, 2009
dear deardoc

i'll have to agree with you there . . .
most of these genetic/chromosomal contitions are not predetermined by the parents genotypic status

what i'm just trying to point out is that having an SS is not the worst thing in the world when you compare it to these conditions. nothing prepares them on how to handle these conditions.

at least AS+AS getting married will be morally, physiologically and financially prepared for the consequences.
Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by forkinsonlolo(m): 8:34am On Oct 08, 2010
i dont give a dam undecided undecided, so u expect me to go and be looking for AA to marry, no way

1 Like

Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by sms4health: 10:13am On Oct 10, 2010
It's a tough decision, no matter how you look at it.

You might be lucky and none of the children have SS and then all may have it.

If all have SS, you may be lucky that it is mild but then all may have the severe variety.

I have known SS individuals who have died but I also know one who got married about a month ago.

You might decide not to be with this lady and never find love. What is life without love?

Whatever choice you make, make sure you have no regrets.
Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by forkinsonlolo(m): 5:11pm On Oct 10, 2010
you
have to agree that once
someone who is SS dies,
everyone automatically believes
they died because they were SS.
Although in truth,this is not
always the case. It is only in Naija
that they keep saying crap
about them not living longer
than a certain period. SS is a
condition like many conditions, it
is manageable and of course
there'll be casualties. Stop
equating SS to mean a death
sentence. Especially you as a
doctor, you should know better.
What we need is thorough
research. If this thing affected
oyibo people, by now there
would have been a
groundbreaking discovery on
how to tackle it or maintain it.
But black man will as always
resign themeselves to "their
fate" and say don't marry as if
love and marriage is based on
genotype. Whatever happened
to unconditional love? its as bad
as saying don't marry a poor
man, but only a rich one. Don't
marry SS, only AA or AS where
you are not a carrier. I see
people fall in love with terminally
ill persons, cancer patients etc
knowing fully well that they'll die
and you guys tell us to somehow
abandon the SS or a shared AS
in love because you want
'healthy' kids. SS is not the
worst thing that can happen to
a baby, and some people can't
even conceive in marriage. We
should look for ways to tackle
this condition instead of
systematically ignoring it by
shunning LOVE. Such selfish and
misleading advise. Why not state
that we should not procreate at
all as life in itself is a hard knot
to crack and will lead to
eventual death. We should just
remain as we are. I wonder how
you expect the SS guys to feel
when they read this article?
should they be shunned in
marriage because they are sickle
cell? Please let the broad minded
love with a broad mind/heart,
the selfish 'healthy' can keep
avoiding their potential future
spouse because they somehow
feel that they will bear potetially
'unhealthy kids together. undecided

8 Likes

Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by Catona: 9:58am On May 15, 2013
sms4health: It's a tough decision, no matter how you look at it.

You might be lucky and none of the children have SS and then all may have it.

If all have SS, you may be lucky that it is mild but then all may have the severe variety.

I have known SS individuals who have died but I also know one who got married about a month ago.

You might decide not to be with this lady and never find love. What is life without love?

Whatever choice you make, make sure you have no regrets.

I love your comment!
Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by Nobody: 11:13am On May 15, 2013
deardoc said it all! It's safer to go your separate ways and not tempt God! I have an aunt who is married to a pastor, they are both AS with three kids, two are SS! I remember the whole family asking the pastor to go for a genotype test because my aunt is AS and my aunt asked him not to bother. Nowadays, they are always fighting and blaming eachother for their predicament. I doubt the marriage will see another year, it's just not worth it!
Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by jtenna: 8:19pm On May 15, 2013
If we keep rejecting the AS or SS people, who will marry them? If everybody keep putting hooks on AA type persons, I wouldn't be surprise when they start to be in short supply... Just saying.
Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by asmaua: 6:29pm On May 18, 2013
I don't think I will advice u to marry some1 dat is also AS, I have a very good friend who died recently, she was SS she got married and died after child birth. It is not like no one can marry the AS and SS pple but their best options should be AA people, my husband is AS and I am AA. Please like deardoc said prevention is better than cure
Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by heartyatty: 9:32pm On May 12, 2015
I strongly disagree that As should marry AS. If you know what the SS pass through, you will feel for them. As a matter of fact, it is advisable that SS should marry AA. We can never run out of AA, it is not possible.
Choose wisely
Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by larasparkle(f): 7:58pm On Mar 15, 2016
heartyatty:
I strongly disagree that As should marry AS. If you know what the SS pass through, you will feel for them. As a matter of fact, it is advisable that SS should marry AA. We can never run out of AA, it is not possible.
Choose wisely
Hmmm, u dont knw what AS are going through to get AA and what the stupid AA guys /ladies r doing to them
Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by slay1: 3:57pm On Apr 30, 2017
Have you taken a decision yet?
Muhad1:
I'm a little under 30yrs old, but have only met a few female of choice for marrage over the last 7 yrs. Presently, I'm looking into marriage proposal to a young lady of good morals that i really love but our genotype seem not to be 100%. we're both AS, but think Amniocentesis might help. pls advice
Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by aktolly54(m): 5:18am On Sep 17, 2017
Nice one, thanks to people contributed so far.
Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by Cassie74: 3:32pm On Sep 17, 2017
Muhad1:

Pls there's solution now....I have someone who's married to another As....they have two kids now...both AA...ask me how....IVF....expensive but worth it
Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by dsuperhero001: 5:05pm On Sep 17, 2017
Cassie74:

Pls there's solution now....I have someone who's married to another As....they have two kids now...both AA...ask me how....IVF....expensive but worth it

give the house the cost and the hospital location also do some of us who are laymen a favour by explaining what IVF means
Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by Cassie74: 8:27pm On Sep 17, 2017
dsuperhero001:

give the house the cost and the hospital location also do some of us who are laymen a favour by explaining what IVF means

Are u for real....google is for this your mention shocked
Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by dsuperhero001: 8:37pm On Sep 20, 2017
cool cool
Cassie74:

grin
Cassie74:

Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by dsuperhero001: 8:38pm On Sep 20, 2017
Cassie74:

Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by dsuperhero001: 8:38pm On Sep 20, 2017
Cassie74:

Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by med123(m): 2:57pm On Nov 21, 2018
Run your CVS/ Prenantal Fetal Genotype at Greene Diagnostics, Know the Sex of your unborn child. 16c Uwasota Rd, Benin city. Call 08025200314
Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by jbblues24(m): 2:28am On Jun 02, 2019
Leading the way mate. grin
Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by rosalieene(f): 9:53am On Sep 26, 2020
Cassie74:

how many times did they try it before getting lucky?
Re: As & As Genotype Marriage by Cassie74: 3:10pm On Sep 26, 2020
rosalieene:

how many times did they try it before getting lucky?

They did theirs in US but there's a hospital in Lagos that is quite good recently.. quote me if you need the name of the hospital.. will get it but it's expensive though but worth the hospital visits u will go through if you don't

(1) (2) (Reply)

7 Health Mistakes You've Made Today / Effect of Eggs on Our Health / When The Mad Dog Bites: What To Know About Rabies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.