Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,748 members, 7,809,860 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:07 PM

A Discriminating Experience In Poland - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Discriminating Experience In Poland (44621 Views)

UBER Under Fire For Discriminating Against Women. / Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East / My Bad Experience in a Hotel in Benin City (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Discriminating Experience In Poland by pansophist(m): 1:09pm On Sep 20, 2015
It was before my departure, I was patiently queuing about to board a flight from Katowice (Poland) to Eindhoven (Netherlands) at 07.15 am. While waiting, I was approached by a male employee who asked me about an unknown baggage found somewhere around the airport, I courteously replied that its not mine and I suggested that he should make a public announcement about it before passengers began to board the aircraft. When it was my turn to board, I approached the passenger service assistant and gave him my ID and mobile boarding pass but to my dismayal, he explicitly stated that I will not be allowed to board while asking me to wait at the corner for his boss to handle the situation. He wouldn’t listen to my subsequent plea as he rudely separated me from the curiously observing queuers, as I waited for the arrival of his supposed boss.

Three minutes later, the middle-aged boss arrived and as expected, collected my ID and interrogated me with the same question asked by the previous vicenarian employee, I repeatedly told him that I knew nothing about the baggage but he wouldn’t accept this as the truth. He further claimed that I was caught on camera dropping the bag and he would release the video to me if I keep denying, I was amazingly shocked at such magnitude of lie against me. I ask if I could see the video, wondering if I was mistaken for someone else, He agreed to show me but inferred that I wont be able to board the flight because after the nitty-gritty, the plane would be late on arrival, then its was dawm on me that this is getting serious. I replied angrily that if I miss my flight, I would sue the legal-person(s) involved. On hearing this, he immediately facilitated my boarding and directed me to the boarding gate. I asked again if I could see the video where I was caught dropping the baggage but he refused and reminded me that I am delaying the flight, in an attempt to diverge my pending questions. I was vehemently mortified. As I entered the plane from the front door, I noticed the fear and irritation gripping the passengers due to my chagrin. I approached to my assigned seat number, the passenger next to me wanted to be sure if I should be sitting close to her, as she was scared. I have never been publicly humiliated to this extent before. Throughout the whole trip, I was filled with so much anger, being victimized, guilt, and disregard. I wondered why I was handpicked and accorded such degrading treatment; I strongly believed it’s because of my phenotypically dark skin as I am the only ''non white'' on the flight, since no public announcement was made to inform if someone misplaced the baggage.

I have been a denizen in Poland and I have never experienced such degrading treatment throughout my time there. This treatment created a deep hole in my heart and brought to my awareness the reserved prejudice deeply rooted in the heart of the airport workers who ganged up and treated me so unfairly due to my dark skin. It is expected of public workers to be competent with customer’s relation skills, especially in airport serving passengers from all parts of the world. This experience has made me unnecessarily sensitive as I was made to tacitly understand I would have to prove my innocence if I’m unluckily present in any mix-up situation, that I will be assumed guilty by default with the burden of proving myself innocent resting on me, that this experience is but a mere trigger of an existing presupposition. The most painful part is that my feelings were completely ignored and at the very least of my expectation, no apologies issued to the aggrieved.

I am writing this letter without prejudice, and all I ask for is that the necessary authorities should equip its employees with customer relationship skills and method in reaching coherent conclusions without subjecting anyone to an inhumane treatment, and also as a deterrent from this happening to subsequent passengers.

208 Likes 26 Shares

Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by Nobody: 1:19pm On Sep 20, 2015
Racism is not new but I understand how you feel. You simply paid for the sins of our brothers who have tarnished the image of our color but I'm glad you didn't make any trouble n that's mature. Just move on bro

138 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by olisa4(m): 1:21pm On Sep 20, 2015
It never changes

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by uboma(m): 2:21pm On Sep 20, 2015
princetunex:
Racism is not new but I understand how you feel. You simply paid for the sins of our brothers who have tarnished the image of our color but I'm glad you didn't make any trouble n that's mature. Just move on bro

Very true.

38 Likes

Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by Pidggin(f): 5:06pm On Sep 20, 2015
Imagine the embarrassment, you need to sue the airline if you can.

22 Likes

Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by eurozone1(m): 6:29pm On Sep 20, 2015
I can't say am surprised. Poland have always been affiliated with anything Racism. The level of their ignorance is mind boggling. It's quite funny coming in contact with them outside their country. That is when you can see the true form of their ignorance and low esteem. I have been very much around, a simple Google Search or interview with a Pole will show you what low life they are, mostly from their male counterparts . Ignore it bro, take it as one of those things.

93 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by claremont(m): 6:53pm On Sep 20, 2015
You can make a formal complaint to the Airline on the grounds of racial discrimination,that seems to be your only recourse.

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by aspirebig: 9:34pm On Sep 20, 2015
Racism is a global disease.

The truth is that even the whites discriminate against fellow whites, same with

So, is just madness in a sane person showing forth.

We are always quick to forget. Whites are human too, they make mistakes.

They are not God. They are not perfect. Be you black or white, we are ALL equal before God.

Sorry, do you really have the time to sue the airline?

Black people across the globe get humiliated daily by these whites, the same whites come here in Africa and live well and misbehaves. They do all manners of things and you will be wondering at their audacity.

50 Likes 6 Shares

Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by Fulaman198(m): 9:38pm On Sep 20, 2015
princetunex:

Bullcrap, so white people are Angels? This is a great example of how whites are not Angels. Whites are simply never made to feel this way in any foreign country. You have to ask yourselves why instead of accepting things like a f00l.

81 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by Fulaman198(m): 9:39pm On Sep 20, 2015
OP, I'm sorry about your experience. Hopefully, that has opened your eyes about the truth and the false propaganda spread by the Western world.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by ttmacoy: 2:29am On Sep 21, 2015
You are right it's unfortunate but he should not let it go.

Pansophist should write a letter to the airline demanding an explanation and apology. It may be an issue of Stereotyping rather than racism but it is still unacceptable.

Writing an official letter will stir them to action and inch that if they do not respond you will sue for discrimination. They will not want any bad publicity.

princetunex:

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by Nobody: 7:33am On Sep 21, 2015
I never knew someone else had the same experience. I will never connect my flight again ever in Poland, they are too racial. I was traveling back to the states from Austria and i was due to connect my flight in Warsaw. To my greatest surprise i was singled out of over 150 passengers and my passport was scanned severally, not as if that was a Nigerian passport but just because i am black. Those skin heads hate blacks like mad.

58 Likes

Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by baba11(m): 7:51am On Sep 21, 2015
Racism at its peak cool
Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by Nobody: 9:40am On Sep 21, 2015
princetunex:

Utter crock.

Are White people facing such discrimination despite their horrible past and present? comparing Whites and blacks, whom out of the two groups has done more harm to the planet as a whole and people in it? comments like this send pique down my veins, pathetic.

@op
Just like claremont suggested, you should make a complain to the airline, thats the logically sensible thing you can do. Ignore those saying sue, so many caveats apply if you choose to go that route. In as much as you did not miss your flight, keep your cool and transpose it as an exposure to one of life's bitter lesson of brown people in the west. sorry for your experience.

49 Likes

Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by dominique(f): 3:06am On Sep 22, 2015
Hope you have written to the airport authorities and the department of internal affairs (or whatever they're called)? Those airport staff wanted to bully you and pin a charge on you. They must have assumed that you're a naive African who doesn't know his rights, unfortunately for them you caught their bluff. The matter must not go to rest just like that.

Central and Eastern are the worst racist parts of the world.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by Atmmachine(m): 3:12am On Sep 22, 2015
My Nigga.
That's not even racism.
When you see a real racism, you won't be able to narrate your ordeal to anyone.
The just wanna see your ID & make sure you wasn't the one who dropped the bag.

10 Likes

Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by Atmmachine(m): 3:12am On Sep 22, 2015
Some of my home boys have been detained, framed for having so much cash on them.
Some, were accused of looking exactly like someone who committed some crime earlier.
They all know it's not racism at all.

This is not racism at all.
Some folks who lives in Russia or in the southern part of the USA will just be laughing at you.
Only the people who haven't traveled out of Nigeria will support you & your racist claim.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by doncharleyosumo(m): 3:17am On Sep 22, 2015
Fela's song JJD (Johny Just Cone) comes to mind.... cool
Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by magicminister: 3:18am On Sep 22, 2015
pansophist:
It was before my departure, I was patiently queuing about to board a flight from Katowice (Poland) to Eindhoven (Netherlands) at 07.15 am. While waiting, I was approached by a male employee who asked me about an unknown baggage found somewhere around the airport, I courteously replied that its not mine and I suggested that he should make a public announcement about it before passengers began to board the aircraft. When it was my turn to board, I approached the passenger service assistant and gave him my ID and mobile boarding pass but to my dismayal, he explicitly stated that I will not be allowed to board while asking me to wait at the corner for his boss to handle the situation. He wouldn’t listen to my subsequent plea as he rudely separated me from the curiously observing queuers, as I waited for the arrival of his supposed boss.

Three minutes later, the middle-aged boss arrived and as expected, collected my ID and interrogated me with the same question asked by the previous vicenarian employee, I repeatedly told him that I knew nothing about the baggage but he wouldn’t accept this as the truth. He further claimed that I was caught on camera dropping the bag and he would release the video to me if I keep denying, I was amazingly shocked at such magnitude of lie against me. I ask if I could see the video, wondering if I was mistaken for someone else, He agreed to show me but inferred that I wont be able to board the flight because after the nitty-gritty, the plane would be late on arrival, then its was dawm on me that this is getting serious. I replied angrily that if I miss my flight, I would sue the legal-person(s) involved. On hearing this, he immediately facilitated my boarding and directed me to the boarding gate. I asked again if I could see the video where I was caught dropping the baggage but he refused and reminded me that I am delaying the flight, in an attempt to diverge my pending questions. I was vehemently mortified. As I entered the plane from the front door, I noticed the fear and irritation gripping the passengers due to my chagrin. I approached to my assigned seat number, the passenger next to me wanted to be sure if I should be sitting close to her, as she was scared. I have never been publicly humiliated to this extent before. Throughout the whole trip, I was filled with so much anger, being victimized, guilt, and disregard. I wondered why I was handpicked and accorded such degrading treatment; I strongly believed it’s because of my phenotypically dark skin as I am the only ''non white'' on the flight, since no public announcement was made to inform if someone misplaced the baggage.

I have been a denizen in Poland and I have never experienced such degrading treatment throughout my time there. This treatment created a deep hole in my heart and brought to my awareness the reserved prejudice deeply rooted in the heart of the airport workers who ganged up and treated me so unfairly due to my dark skin. It is expected of public workers to be competent with customer’s relation skills, especially in airport serving passengers from all parts of the world. This experience has made me unnecessarily sensitive as I was made to tacitly understand I would have to prove my innocence if I’m unluckily present in any mix-up situation, that I will be assumed guilty by default with the burden of proving myself innocent resting on me, that this experience is but a mere trigger of an existing presupposition. The most painful part is that my feelings were completely ignored and at the very least of my expectation, no apologies issued to the aggrieved.

I am writing this letter without prejudice, and all I ask for is that the necessary authorities should equip its employees with customer relationship skills and method in reaching coherent conclusions without subjecting anyone to an inhumane treatment, and also as a deterrent from this happening to subsequent passengers.

[size=20pt]Racism is alive and well.
I would always advise any and every black person to grow a thick skin.
i have witnessed subtle discrimination and obvious discrimination.

There is no solution to racism and tribalism.

The only problem i have is when i see white folks being treated like demi gods by Nigerian people when they are in Nigeria.
It makes me really really sick and angry when i see my Nigerian brothers and sisters give preference to a white man in Nigeria before they even look my face or your face.

Blacks have to unite.
That is the only way!
Lets stand as one.

I might hate you but if i see you getting harassed by a white man, i will jump in quickly to your rescue.
whenever i read cases of white employers maltreating and physically abusing Nigerian employers In Nigeria, it really makes me wonder!
Can't their Nigerian colleagues jump in and save them?

[/size]

99 Likes 5 Shares

Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by pmc01(m): 3:24am On Sep 22, 2015
Summary- There is no place like home. Chikena! Sorry about your predicament Oga.

5 Likes

Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by zopaks: 3:24am On Sep 22, 2015
sorry experience, the polish embassy must hear this
Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by Sparkle777(f): 3:26am On Sep 22, 2015
Just let it go. Am sure your actions proved a point. Sorry to ask,do u have a muslim name? Cos, the forgotten bag may be assumed a bomb. Poland, I think dnt know how to deal wt terrorism as such.
Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by Atmmachine(m): 3:26am On Sep 22, 2015
There's nothing like racism again.
The blacks destroyed racism with rap music.
90% of the whites in America call other whites "NIGGA"
now tell me if it's still racist to call a black Nigga, when all the whites call other whites Nigga.

Tell that to people who haven't traveled out of Nigeria.
Racism died a long time ago

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by emekatimsu(m): 3:27am On Sep 22, 2015
I understand how you feel, Mr writer. I have once had a similar experience in Germany and it was quite painful. Anyway aside from some bad eggs painting the green passport black from diaspora we here in Nigera practice the worst form of discrimination amongst ourself so we should nt cry much when other nationals theat us in like manner.

26 Likes

Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by harrysterol(m): 3:27am On Sep 22, 2015
OP! If that side no favour u come back Nija grin

1 Like

Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by driand(m): 3:29am On Sep 22, 2015
Sorry bro, such is life... Move on!
Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by Nobody: 3:30am On Sep 22, 2015
Atmmachine:
My Nigga.
That's not even racism.
When you see a real racism, you won't be able to narrate your ordeal to anyone.
The just wanna see your ID & make sure you wasn't the one who dropped the bag.

Exactly.

And OP needs to stop being aloof.
Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by SeXistBaStaRd(m): 3:32am On Sep 22, 2015
undecided
Re: A Discriminating Experience In Poland by Nobody: 3:39am On Sep 22, 2015
Fulaman198:

Bullcrap, so white people are Angels? This is a great example of how whites are not Angels. Whites are simply never made to feel this way in any foreign country. You have to ask yourselves why instead of accepting things like a f00l.

White people in general are racist, but Eastern Europeans are the worst. It's a shame that Africans get punked by these motherphuckers. I hate Eastern Europeans with perfect hatred especially for what they did to Tonia Okojie some months ago. And the annoying part of it all is that these whites will say oh we aren't the ones who hate you it's the "Jews". As if there's any difference between them and those devilish, Zionist imposters.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Beautiful Pictures Of Nnewi In Anambra State / Truck Filled With Bottles Crashes At Iyana-Ipaja In Lagos (Disturbing Photos) / Hit-And-Run Driver Knocks Down Echefu Lawrencia Uloma, LAUTECH Student (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.