Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,242 members, 7,818,826 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:03 AM

This Is One Of The Most Ruthless Disclaimers I've Ever Seen - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / This Is One Of The Most Ruthless Disclaimers I've Ever Seen (1035 Views)

Innoson Vs Gtbank: I've Never Forged Tax Documents In My Life - Innoson Chukwuma / The Sweetest Business Opportunity Ever Seen On Planet Earth. / The Sweetest Business Opportunity Ever Seen On Planet Earth. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is One Of The Most Ruthless Disclaimers I've Ever Seen by kolokolobi(m): 5:00pm On Sep 20, 2015
Was in Lagos over the weekend and stayed at a hotel in ikoyi. While having a drink at the sit out overlooking the canal my eye caught a disclaimer notice on the metal barricade. I had to sit up to read it properly. I was like... So I'm on my own even if my loss is as a result of negligence and or omission on the part of the owner or its agents.
Some people must be taking Nigerians for a big ride.

2 Likes

Re: This Is One Of The Most Ruthless Disclaimers I've Ever Seen by majamajic(m): 5:09pm On Sep 20, 2015
Just for them to be in a safer side

1 Like

Re: This Is One Of The Most Ruthless Disclaimers I've Ever Seen by kolokolobi(m): 5:31pm On Sep 20, 2015
"THE OWNER, MANAGER AND / OR OPERATOR OF THE PREMISES, AMENITIES AND FACILITIES AND IT'S DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, ENOLOYEES, AGENTS AND REPRESENTATIVES DO NOT ACCEPT ANY LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR ANY INJURY OR DEATH OF ANY PERSON OR LOSS OR DESTRUCTION OF OR DAMAGE TO ANY PROPERTY WETHER ARISING FROM FIRE, THEFT OR ANY OTHER CAUSE WHATSOEVER AND BY WHATSOEVER CAUSE OR ARISING FROM THE NEGLIGENCE OR GROSS NEGLIGENCE OR WRONGFULL ACTS OR OMISSIONS OF THE OWNER, MANAGER AND / OR OPERATOR OF THE HOTEL OR ITS DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, ENOLOYEES, AGENTS AND REPRESENTATIVES"
Re: This Is One Of The Most Ruthless Disclaimers I've Ever Seen by kolokolobi(m): 5:33pm On Sep 20, 2015
Okay so just for them to be on the safe side. What then was paid for if they have abdicated any responsibility for even acts of negligence and omission on their part.
Re: This Is One Of The Most Ruthless Disclaimers I've Ever Seen by Chartey(m): 5:33pm On Sep 20, 2015
I'm not a lawyer but I feel this can still be contested. How many people will see it the same way you saw it? Unless it's read to every customer who checks in they're still on a long thing.

Op, congrats on lodging in a Protea hotel. It's not easy. Thanks for the testimony.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Is One Of The Most Ruthless Disclaimers I've Ever Seen by kolokolobi(m): 5:37pm On Sep 20, 2015
@ chartey.... It was not planned oooo. I had quite a few other options, cheaper ones too, but had to be able to conclude a few meetings at that location. grin grin
Re: This Is One Of The Most Ruthless Disclaimers I've Ever Seen by kolokolobi(m): 5:39pm On Sep 20, 2015
In fact I feel it should be displayed on a big signboard at the entrance and other locations. I saw it at only that point in my walk through the hotel.
Re: This Is One Of The Most Ruthless Disclaimers I've Ever Seen by MrMcJay(m): 11:05pm On Sep 20, 2015
Legally, this is just a piece of plastic. By the time Protea is sued, they would realise that a worthless piece of plastic can't change the laws on Vicarious Liability, Negligence, Agency and Criminal Responsibility.

By the way, if this disclaimer trends on Twitter, it would cause considerable PR damage to Protea.

In summary, stay at Protea at your own risk as the hotel doesn't care about your welfare on its premises.

1 Like

Re: This Is One Of The Most Ruthless Disclaimers I've Ever Seen by Djicemob: 7:56am On Sep 21, 2015
Even if you die as a result of negligence on the part of the hotel and its handlers you are on your own? shocked shocked shocked
Re: This Is One Of The Most Ruthless Disclaimers I've Ever Seen by kolokolobi(m): 7:02pm On Sep 21, 2015
That's what got my eye popping when I read it. I'm not a lawyer but I'm aware of a thing or two about occupiers liability. This just pushes it to the extreme limits. Its an abdication of basic responsibility or any duty of care by the owner operator agents or representatives.
Re: This Is One Of The Most Ruthless Disclaimers I've Ever Seen by kolokolobi(m): 7:50pm On Sep 22, 2015
I wonder if this a general policy in the brand or this was a one off at this particular location.

(1) (Reply)

Ifeanyi Ubah Releases Full Masterplan for Nigeria’s Economic/Financial Intervent / How I Earned $220 Dollars in 2 Months / Beware! Airtel Secretly Increase Cheapest Call Tariff Plan (airtel Smart Talk)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.