Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,080 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:16 AM

Sienna, A Question For You, Please. - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Sienna, A Question For You, Please. (3555 Views)

Reg Clean 01 TOYOTA SIENNA(A/C Chilling)@730k In Ph City.08137844500 / Toyota Sienna A Family Car This Val Just All U Need For 750k Call Now / Larryshow4 Is 4 Real: He Delivered My Sienna A Promised. No Stories (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by Nobody: 9:18pm On Apr 13, 2009
There's something wrong with the Honda that I drive.

Sometimes, after I parked the car, it'll start, but I won't be able to shift the gear from parking to drive, reverse etc.
If the P doesn't light, the gear won't move.

I've taken it to Honda to be serviced several times, and they seems to be able to not find the problem.
But "miraculously", it gets fixed.

A few weeks or months later, same thing. It has been happening lately, and I don't know o.
Someone told me that my brake was locked, but that didn't make sense to me undecided
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:19pm On Apr 13, 2009
put down the handbrake, arindin cheesy
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by Nobody: 9:22pm On Apr 13, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

put down the handbrake, arindin cheesy
I've tried that.
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by MrCrackles(m): 9:24pm On Apr 13, 2009
Toyin Arindin, buy a fucking manual car! grin
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by Nobody: 9:30pm On Apr 13, 2009
MrCrackles:

Toyin Arindin, buy a fucking manual car! grin
se wan sepe fun e ni?

Buy me a manual car, arindin.

What is going on lately? Is nl putting a curse on me? first my lappy, now my car?

Ok, I'm sorry y'all grin grin
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by chamotex(m): 9:43pm On Apr 13, 2009
Go get a bicycle
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by Nobody: 9:45pm On Apr 13, 2009
chamotex:

Go get a bicycle
Don't know how to ride a bicycle undecided grin
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by Nobody: 9:46pm On Apr 13, 2009
Toyin, there should be a "lock out" feature on your car - all automatic cars sold in the United States have had this feature since 1993.
So, you can only shift from park or neutral if the ignition's turned on, and the brake pedal's depressed.

There's a brake pedal switch that activates a relay, which in turn releases a solenoid within the selector mechanism.
If the brake pedal switch is faulty, it'll be intermittent in operation - so one minute you can shift from neutral / park easily, other times it'll be locked in place.

So, things your garage needs to look at:

1) Shift lock-out solenoid (within selector mechanism).
2) Shift lock-out relay (usually under driver's side dash, or behind glove box).
3) Shift lock-out activation switch (on brake pedal).
4) Voltage feed to all the above (connections need to be checked for security).

Just tell your mechanic to check those four items above, and stun him with your knowledge of automobile!
 cool
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by sleekdoc: 9:47pm On Apr 13, 2009
It's not fair some1 has come to NL with a problem hoping to find some1 with a possible solution and all the 2 of u can do is insult her, doesnt make any sense i tell u.

I'm no car expert but ,sounds to me like ur transmission may have worn shift-inter lock solenoids, this is responsilbe for locking the gear until u step on the brake so that it can be moved from park. If it is worn out as i suspect, then what ur exepriencing may occur, the lever may not shift even if uv stepped on the brake, may be this what ur friend meant by saying ur "brake is locked".  There are ways to overide this lock, depending on ur car model ( check the manual ) cos there may be a time when it wont 'miraculously' unlock by itself pending the time u can get a qualified mech to fix the problem.
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by MrCrackles(m): 9:47pm On Apr 13, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

Don't know how to ride a bicycle undecided grin

I will teach u! cheesy grin
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by Hauwa1: 9:50pm On Apr 13, 2009
honda ummm olowo grin

make i dey learn too. please can i ask a car question in here too? don't want to open a new thread.
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by Nobody: 9:54pm On Apr 13, 2009
Siena:

Toyin, there should be a "lock out" feature on your car - all automatic cars sold in the United States have had this feature since 1993.
So, you can only shift from park or neutral if the ignition's turned on, and the brake pedal's depressed.

There's a brake pedal switch that activates a relay, which in turn releases a solenoid within the selector mechanism.
If the brake pedal switch is faulty, it'll be intermittent in operation - so one minute you can shift from neutral / park easily, other times it'll be locked in place.

So, things your garage needs to look at:

1) Shift lock-out solenoid (within selector mechanism).
2) Shift lock-out relay (usually under driver's side dash, or behind glove box).
3) Shift lock-out activation switch (on brake pedal).
4) Voltage feed to all the above (connections need to be checked for security).

Just tell your mechanic to check those four items above, and stun him with your knowledge of automobile!
cool
Thanks Sienna. . . .last time we were on the same thread, you should have known that I drive cars, I don't know all the parts you just said.

But I'd suggest them to my mechanic.

Just to clarify a few things, it is not the brake that has the problem. My brake works just fine.
But sometimes when it's parked for a while or the next day, it won't work.
It starts but the gear won't shift.
Sometimes the maintenance light comes on, but they told me nothing is wrong with the car. undecided

But I'd give them your solutions and see what they can do about it. Thanks again

sleekdoc:

It's not fair some1 has come to NL with a problem hoping to find some1 with a possible solution and all the 2 of u can do is insult her, doesnt make any sense i tell u.

I'm no car expert but ,sounds to me like ur transmission may have worn shift-inter lock solenoids, this is responsilbe for locking the gear until u step on the brake so that it can be moved from park. If it is worn out as i suspect, then what ur exepriencing may occur, the lever may not shift even if uv stepped on the brake, may be this what ur friend meant by saying ur "brake is locked". There are ways to overide this lock, depending on ur car model ( check the manual ) cos there may be a time when it wont 'miraculously' unlock by itself pending the time u can get a qualified mech to fix the problem.
Thanks.

Stepping on the brake doesn't make it shift. Will check wink

MrCrackles:

I will teach u! cheesy grin
No thanks wink cheesy

@Hauwa
Olowo wo. . . .no plz o. wink
That's why I didn't want to ask b4, but HONDA can't find any solution. undecided

Ask. . . .maybe I might help you on how to make right turns grin grin
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:58pm On Apr 13, 2009
if honda is olowo, what the hell does Hauwa drive?

If you mention an American car, I will vomit on your head!
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by Nobody: 10:04pm On Apr 13, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

if honda is olowo, what the hell does Hauwa drive?

If you mention an American car, I will vomit on your head!
Volvo grin grin
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by Hauwa1: 10:04pm On Apr 13, 2009
saturday, i packed mine and sunday morning it just wouldn't move. i almost cried because i was on my way to church. well i called campus safety and they said i left the light on. i don't know o. this is the first time and i was just like huh? but they got it work up. i just want to know if leaving the light on caused the kind of problem or is something actually wrong with the car?

no yabbing pls  wink
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by Nobody: 10:05pm On Apr 13, 2009
*Hauwa*:

saturday, i packed mine and sunday morning it just wouldn't move. i almost cried because i was on my way to church. well i called campus safety and they said i left the light on. i don't know o. this is the first time and i was just like huh? but they got it work up. i just want to know if leaving the light on caused the kind of problem or is something actually wrong with the car?

no yabbing pls wink
Hauwa, leaving the light on kills your battery. It won't work for a while
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by Hauwa1: 10:06pm On Apr 13, 2009
well am all for Camry. easy for me. I was only pulling Silk's leg  cheesy
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by MrCrackles(m): 10:06pm On Apr 13, 2009
*Hauwa*:

Do you happen to drive a Lada or a Vauxhall Nova or a Metro? cheesy
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by Hauwa1: 10:07pm On Apr 13, 2009
really? i had thot with a camry, you go no problem at all, oh well, now how often will this continue, or will it be only when i leave the light on? sigh. i just might sell it and use shuttle.
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by Nobody: 10:07pm On Apr 13, 2009
*Hauwa*:

well am all for Camry. easy for me. I was only pulling Silk's leg cheesy
LOL.

Is it easy to drive a small car than a van?
Never driven a small car b4. Since my cousin is so stingy with his new car undecided
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by Hauwa1: 10:08pm On Apr 13, 2009
i have said no yabbing eh Mrcrackle  grin
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:08pm On Apr 13, 2009
someone should take Hauwa's car, apparently she thinks it's an okada
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by MrCrackles(m): 10:09pm On Apr 13, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

someone should take Hauwa's car, apparently she thinks it's an okada

I tire! grin
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by Nobody: 10:09pm On Apr 13, 2009
MrCrackles:

Do you happen to drive a Lada or a Vauxhall Nova or a Metro? cheesy
Never heard of Nova or Metro or Lada.

are you making those names up?
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by Hauwa1: 10:11pm On Apr 13, 2009
oh, common now TOH  grin no yab me jo  cheesy. true, i just want to learn more abt car, clueless. i almost cried on sunday at least i had a tears and remembered home  grin but thank goodness for the CS.
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by MrCrackles(m): 10:12pm On Apr 13, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

Never heard of Nova or Metro or Lada.

are you making those names up?

Google them names, Nova and Metro are old cars the size of a bloody Starlet common in the UK

Young white peeps tend to buy them as a first car after passing thier driving test for cheaper insurance and maintenance! grin
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by Hauwa1: 10:12pm On Apr 13, 2009
Silk, pls ans my last question if you have idea, thanks.
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by Hauwa1: 10:13pm On Apr 13, 2009
No, Mrcrackle, this is a 5 years old Toyota Camry SE.

maybe for the UKite white pple, not where i am based wink.
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by MrCrackles(m): 10:16pm On Apr 13, 2009
*Hauwa*:

No, Mrcrackle, this is a 5 years old Toyota Camry SE.

But how come you are driving on American roads when you live in South Africa? grin
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by Nobody: 10:16pm On Apr 13, 2009
*Hauwa*:

really? i had thot with a camry, you go no problem at all, oh well, now how often will this continue, or will it be only when i leave the light on? sigh. i just might sell it and use shuttle.

Well, it depends on what causes the car not to start.
I'd suggest you go for maintenance check once in a while.

All I can say is that, leaving the car lights on kills the battery. wink

MrCrackles:

Google them names, Nova and Metro are old cars the size of a bloody Starlet common in the UK

Young white peeps tend to buy them as a first car after passing thier driving test f[b]or cheaper insurance and maintenance! grin
[/b]
rotfl grin grin
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by Hauwa1: 10:16pm On Apr 13, 2009
grin grin grin

am in SA cheesy
Re: Sienna, A Question For You, Please. by sleekdoc: 10:17pm On Apr 13, 2009
thief of hearts and mr crackles, una sabi beef o, wetin una dey drive sef, abi na okada u dey patronize.
Hauwa what do u wana know bout cars jare

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mark Mixer And Mack Dump Truck For Sale / Cleanest Tokunboh 2004 Honda Pilot Ex-l (price reduced to 2million) / Registered 2004 Honda Accord Eod V6 Engine..price: N1m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.