Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,295 members, 7,860,724 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 02:56 PM

Nigerian Origin Hollywood Actress Uzo Aduba Wins Second Emmy - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Nigerian Origin Hollywood Actress Uzo Aduba Wins Second Emmy (935 Views)

Uzo Edward To Wed Nonso Duru (Pre-Wedding Photos) / Kerry Washington Wishes Uzo Aduba 'happy Birthday' In Igbo / Uzo Aduba Told Her Mother To Stop Calling Her 'Uzoamaka' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Origin Hollywood Actress Uzo Aduba Wins Second Emmy by tonychristopher: 1:27pm On Sep 21, 2015
Nigerian Hollywood actress, Uzo Aduba won her second Emmy at the 2015 Emmy awards which held yesterday September 20th. Uzo who is one of the lead actresses in the hit series, Orange is the New Black, won Best Supporting Actress in the comedy category.

While receiving her award, Uzo said thanked her family and her sister, Chioma in particular for being there for her.

"'I really just want to say thank you a thousand times. If I could say thank you a thousand times, it would not be enough. I really just want to say thank you for my family, who have stood beside me my entire life. I am humbled to call myself your sister. I love you so much".

Aduba in 2014.
Born Uzoamaka Nwanneka Aduba
February 10, 1981 (age 34)
Tribe Igbo American
Boston, Massachusetts, United States

Aduba was born in Boston, Massachusetts, the daughter of Nigerian parents of Igbo origin. She grew up in Medfield, Massachusetts.[4] She graduated from Medfield High School in 1999.[5] She attended Boston University, where she studied classical voice[6] and competed in track and field.[7][8] She describes her family as a "sports family".[6] Her younger brother, Obi, played hockey at the University of Massachusetts and went on to play six seasons professionally.[9]

Career[edit]
Aduba first garnered recognition for her acting in 2003, when her performance in Translations of Xhosa at the Olney Theatre Center for the Arts earned her a Helen Hayes Award nomination for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Play.[10] In 2007, she made her Broadway debut, portraying Toby in Coram Boy.[11] From 2011 through 2012, she sang "By My Side" as part of the original revival cast of Godspell at the Circle in the Square Theatre.[11][12] Her first television appearance was as a nurse on Blue Bloods in 2012.[6] She also played the mother of the title character of Venice at The Public Theater in New York.[13][14]

In 2013, Aduba began portraying Suzanne "Crazy Eyes" Warren in the Netflix comedy-drama series Orange Is the New Black.[15] On being cast, Aduba said:

“ I auditioned for the show back in late July or early August of [2012]. I had been auditioning that summer for more television and film [after doing much theater]. I'd read a lot of scripts and I remember reading Orange Is the New Black, and it was at the head of the pack. I remember thinking, 'Wow, that is really good, I would love to be a part of that.' I went in and auditioned for another part, and my representatives called me about a month later and they were like, "Hi, we have some really good news. You remember that audition you went on for Orange Is the New Black? You didn't get it." I go, "So… okay, what's the good news?" They said they wanted to offer me another part, Crazy Eyes. I was like, "What in my audition would make someone think I'd be right for a part called Crazy Eyes?" But to be honest, when I got the script for it, it felt like the right fit.[16] ”
Casting director Jennifer Euston explains the selection of Aduba for the role thus: "Uzo Aduba...had her hair in those knots for the audition...They saw something amazing in her and were able to connect it to what they were looking for in Crazy Eyes."[17] In joining the series, Aduba obtained her Screen Actors Guild card, about which she says, "I was just like, 'Wow, this means I'm a full actor now.' It was such a big deal, and I remember being so thankful and feeling so proud."[18]

She has been recognized for her performance as "Crazy Eyes": Aduba won Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series at the 66th Primetime Creative Arts Emmy Awards as well as Best Guest Performer in a Comedy Series at the 4th Critics' Choice Television Awards and was nominated for Best Supporting Actress – Series, Miniseries or Television Film at the 18th Satellite Awards for her season 1 performance.[19][20][21] Aduba's season 2 performance earned her the Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series as well as recognition for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series at the 21st Screen Actors Guild Awards and a nomination Best Supporting Actress – Series, Miniseries or Television Film at the 72nd Golden Globe Awards.[22][23][24]

In March 2014, Aduba performed at Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS benefit concert Broadway Backwards.[25] Aduba teamed with Rachel Bay Jones for a rendition of the song "Lily's Eyes" from the play The Secret Garden.[26]

Re: Nigerian Origin Hollywood Actress Uzo Aduba Wins Second Emmy by ammyluv2002(f): 1:29pm On Sep 21, 2015
She's going places....making Nigeria proud. #Kudos dear.

God will continue to uplift her.

#OrangeIsTheNewBlack
Re: Nigerian Origin Hollywood Actress Uzo Aduba Wins Second Emmy by dominique(f): 1:39pm On Sep 21, 2015
I thought orange is the new black is a show about transgender people. She sure looks like one.

Congrats on her achievements, whishing her more accolades on the years to come.

(1) (Reply)

Kourkney Kardashian Shows Off Her Curves / “I Almost Quit University When I Got Pregnant” – Singer, Waje / Quality Chiffon Tops And Gowns From Vietnam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.