Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,276 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:15 AM

How Do You Treat Dog Bites? - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / How Do You Treat Dog Bites? (3754 Views)

7 Things To Do If A Dog Bites You / Family Dog BITES Of Pedophiles PENIS As He Tried To Rape The Sleeping Kids / How To Avoid Dog Bites (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by Ragner(m): 1:25pm On Sep 22, 2015
Hey guys... I need Help Right now... I was Bitten by a Dog Few Seconds ago but I have no Idea about what Kind Of Treatment would be Suitable For it.

Any help?
Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by Ragner(m): 1:33pm On Sep 22, 2015
Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by menix(m): 1:47pm On Sep 22, 2015
If u eat dog don't bother, it will heal cous u already have Dog bite vaccine in you..
Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by menix(m): 2:06pm On Sep 22, 2015
Ragner:

I 'Used to'

On a Serious Note, what kind of Vaccine am I supposed to Receive?

Tetanus, a chemist or pharmacy should do that..
Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by BOUNTYDOG(m): 2:06pm On Sep 22, 2015
It depends.
If the dog acts unusually abnormal,then the said dog might be infected with rabies,and if that be the case the victim will need serious medical attention and the dog too cannot survive more than 24hrs,these cases rarely happen and in my long time experience I have never experienced it anywhere before.
Otherwise if the dog acts normal and maybe you are a stranger or he bites you whle playing .these can be treated as normal wound.
Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by Ragner(m): 2:15pm On Sep 22, 2015
BOUNTYDOG:
It depends.
If the dog acts unusually abnormal,then the said dog might be infected with rabies,and if that be the case the victim will need serious medical attention and the dog too cannot survive more than 24hrs,these cases rarely happen and in my long time experience I have never experienced it anywhere before.
Otherwise if the dog acts normal and maybe you are a stranger or he bites you whle playing .these can be treated as normal wound.

He Actually Bit me Cos I Did Something he Hates....but he's Still behaving Normal sha....Thanks a Lot
Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by Ragner(m): 2:15pm On Sep 22, 2015
menix:

Tetanus, a chemist or pharmacy should do that..
Tetanus? Thanks Too
Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by xana101: 2:26pm On Sep 22, 2015
Let see pix of d bit and which breed of dog is that, then i'll give u a quick solution
Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by Ragner(m): 2:31pm On Sep 22, 2015
xana101:
Let see pix of d bit and which breed of dog is that, then i'll give u a quick solution

The 2 Poster Before you Already Gave me Solutions and I've Done what they said.... So Thank you
Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by Prodeegee(m): 3:05pm On Sep 22, 2015
Don't risk your life to assumptions pls.

Symptoms of rabbies might not show until 2weeks after the bite.

The area of bite would begin to itch...you'll feel unusual headache, sleep a lot, run temperature quicker.

Just go to the nearest hospital and get antirabbies injection.

It's better safe than sorry.

Tetanus is the least of your worries ryt now.

7 Likes

Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by Seun(m): 3:23pm On Sep 22, 2015
I wouldn't treat a bite from my dog any differently than a regular wound, sincerely. I'd wash it immediately and apply some antiseptic to it.

However, if I was bitten by one of those ownerless, malnourished, disease-ridden dogs on the streets, I'd definitely get an anti-rabies shot.

Rabies is quite rare in vaccinated dogs. Frankly I've never seen or heard about a rabid pet dog. But rabies kills, so Prodegee's advice is right.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by BOUNTYDOG(m): 3:27pm On Sep 22, 2015
Don't take antirabies injection unless you are sure the dog has rabies,no medical doctor would even give you antirabies unless they have proofs you are infected.
Like you said you know why he bit you,just treat the wound and take vitamin c to heal,no need for anti tetanus except you expose the wound to rusty metals b4 healing,then you can take that for prevention.
I believe its just a normal wound as long as the dog's vaccines are up to date

1 Like

Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by Ragner(m): 4:34pm On Sep 22, 2015
Prodeegee:
Don't risk your life to assumptions pls.

Symptoms of rabbies might not show until 2weeks after the bite.

The area of bite would begin to itch...you'll feel unusual headache, sleep a lot, run temperature quicker.

Just go to the nearest hospital and get antirabbies injection.

It's better safe than sorry.

Tetanus is the least of your worries ryt now.

Since I've Not Seen any of the Symptoms now, how about I wait and See?
Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by Ragner(m): 4:38pm On Sep 22, 2015
Seun:
I wouldn't treat a bite from my dog any differently than a regular wound, sincerely. I'd wash it immediately and apply some antiseptic to it.

However, if I was bitten by one of those ownerless, malnourished, disease-ridden dogs on the streets, I'd definitely get an anti-rabies shot.

Rabies is quite rare in vaccinated dogs. Frankly I've never seen or heard about a rabid pet dog. But rabies kills, so Prodegee's advice is right.

The Dog has not been Vaccinated before....We never Saw the need To. Infact, whenever he Falls sick, we Give him our Human Routine Drugs and he's Back to his Feet

But I don't think he Has Rabies cos we don't Let him Leave the Compound. Or is there another Way Dogs Contact Rabies?
Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by olisafincy(m): 11:32pm On Sep 22, 2015
be joking with your life

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by Prodeegee(m): 3:57am On Sep 23, 2015
Ragner:

Since I've Not Seen any of the Symptoms now, how about I wait and See?
Animals infected with rabies may appear sick, crazed, or vicious. This is the origin of the phrase "mad dog." However, animals infected with rabies may also appear overly friendly, docile, or confused. They may even appear completely normal.
Behavior of animals with rabies may be unusual. For example, seeing a normally nocturnal wild animal during the day (for example, a bat or a fox) or seeing a normally shy wild animal that appears strange or even friendly should raise suspicion that the animal may have rabies.
Signs and symptoms in humans
The average incubation period (time from infection to time of development of symptoms) in humans is 30-60 days, but it may range from less than 10 days to several years.
Most people first develop symptoms of pain, tingling, or itching shooting from the bite site (or site of virus entry).
Nonspecific complaints of fevers, chills, fatigue, muscle aches, and irritability may accompany these complaints. These symptoms may appear similar to those of the flu. Early on, these complaints may seem like any virus, except for the shooting sensations from the bite site.
Gradually, however, the affected individual becomes extremely ill, developing a variety of symptoms, including high fever, confusion, agitation, and eventually seizures and coma.
Typically, people with rabies develop irregular contractions and spasms of the breathing muscles when exposed to water (this is termed hydrophobia). They may demonstrate the same response to a puff of air directed at them (termed aerophobia). By this point, they are obviously extremely ill.
Eventually, the various organs of the body are affected, and the person dies despite support with medication and a respirator.
A rarer form of rabies, paralytic rabies, has been linked to vampire bat bites outside of the United States. In this form, the person who was bitten develops a paralysis, or inability to move the part of the body that was bitten. This spreads gradually throughout the body, and the person ultimately dies. Hydrophobia is less common in paralytic rabies than in classic rabies.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/script/main/mobileart-emh.asp?articlekey=58764&page=3

That's just some more signs to look out for...Just in case.

But why not? Let's wait and see bro. I love to learn.
Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by Apitch(m): 12:31pm On Sep 23, 2015
Bountydog please I beg you, don't give informations on things you don't know too well, life might be dependent on it.
I remember the last time I told U to read up vaccines and if u did, u wouldn't have made ur comments. Ur comment on no doctor will give u the vaccine without confirmation is a big laugh. Vaccines are for prophylaxis and not treatment. Read it up this time

1 Like

Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by Richybang: 12:54pm On Sep 23, 2015
u can't tell if the dog has rabies or not if it's the street type better run to hospital. for anti rabies a loose healthy dog that runs around the street may have rabies not only sick looking dogs go for the anti rabies It almost like aids only that u won't go thin when full grown in u it may be unable to cure which leads to kicking of bucket (death )
Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by BOUNTYDOG(m): 11:06pm On Sep 23, 2015
My dog bit,no it was actually scratch someone and the parents insist on anti rabies injection,the Dr asked if my dogs were vaccinated against rabies and i Showed her their cards,she later ask I go buy antirabies injection and I told her I don't know where its been sold,and the dog is not rabid,she treated the wound and that was it.
Have never experienced rabies rght from childhood that I have been dealing with cannines so let's not put fear of every dog bite as rabid cos some already believe every dog bite is rabid.
Is antirabies vaccine easily accessible to medical doctors?like when a dog bites you @ night in a longu and the Dr said he has given you anti rabies would you believe he actually did?

Has anyone in the house been bitten by his dog and had an antirabies shot,why did you get the shot?
Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by Richybang: 4:50am On Sep 24, 2015
What we should ask the guy if the dog is his or if he his bitten on the road by street dogs
Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by ElPhoche(m): 5:26am On Sep 24, 2015
BOUNTYDOG:
My dog bit,no it was actually scratch someone and the parents insist on anti rabies injection,the Dr asked if my dogs were vaccinated against rabies and i Showed her their cards,she later ask I go buy antirabies injection and I told her I don't know where its been sold,and the dog is not rabid,she treated the wound and that was it.
Have never experienced rabies rght from childhood that I have been dealing with cannines so let's not put fear of every dog bite as rabid cos some already believe every dog bite is rabid.
Is antirabies vaccine easily accessible to medical doctors?like when a dog bites you @ night in a longu and the Dr said he has given you anti rabies would you believe he actually did?

Has anyone in the house been bitten by his dog and had an antirabies shot,why did you get the shot?
It depends on location, but I know that a good hospital should have that. Every good pharmacy would have that too...
Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by Ragner(m): 8:30am On Sep 24, 2015
Richybang:
What we should ask the guy if the dog is his or if he his bitten on the road by street dogs

Its my Dog and I already took the Anti Rabies Injection Yesterday... The dog doesn't look Like one with Rabies though

1 Like

Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by BOUNTYDOG(m): 11:55pm On Sep 24, 2015
Ok I stand to be corrected.
My aim actually is to put away the fear people have that everydog bite is rabid.
Now that you have taken the injection,is your dog also quarantined for further observations?
Thanks all @least i can pick one or two lessons from these.
Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by Prodeegee(m): 4:03pm On Sep 25, 2015
Ragner:

Its my Dog and I already took the Anti Rabies Injection Yesterday... The dog doesn't look Like one with Rabies though
better safe than sorry
Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by nike4love: 5:37pm On Sep 25, 2015
Prodeegee:
better safe than sorry
1000percent correct.I ve seen were rabbies killed a boy of 12 , he got bit by a local dog nd didnt tell anybody.b4 his parents found out, it was late .............

1 Like

Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by BOUNTYDOG(m): 11:02am On Sep 28, 2015
@ op how is ur dog now?
Was he quarantined as its the most appropriate thing to do.
U sound like u know the dog is not infected with rabies.
If it was a strange dog u don't know its history is a diff thingy,but when its ur dog and u know why he bit you,there should be no cause for alarm.
Its just not the best to make the public have too much fears on dog bites as rabid,so please let us know if you took the anti rabbies shot just to be safe or ur dog actually has it?
Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by Apitch(m): 11:28am On Sep 28, 2015
BOUNTYDOG:
@ op how is ur dog now?
Was he quarantined as its the most appropriate thing to do.
U sound like u know the dog is not infected with rabies.
If it was a strange dog u don't know its history is a diff thingy,but when its ur dog and u know why he bit you,there should be no cause for alarm.
Its just not the best to make the public have too much fears on dog bites as rabid,so please let us know if you took the anti rabbies shot just to be safe or ur dog actually has it?
Bro if my dog bites me, I will most definitely take anti-rabies
NB I inject my dogs personally so it's not an issue of whether or not they were injected but the injections we give, can u vouch for their handling(storage mostly), when they temp exceeds a degree, the chain breaks, in english, the drugs is considered useless and thhats why instead of the ideal 3yrs repeatation, it's done yearly so to avoid stories that touch
Finally why I will take the shot is because once the infection is confirmed in a human, the result is death 100%. Rabies like other virus is not treated so stop making rabies look like a childs play
I percieve u are trying to gloat here or probably u are the type that like arguing to win so I leave U to ur knowledge

1 Like

Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by BOUNTYDOG(m): 1:17pm On Sep 28, 2015
Apitch:

Bro if my dog bites me, I will most definitely take anti-rabies
NB I inject my dogs personally so it's not an issue of whether or not they were injected but the injections we give, can u vouch for their handling(storage mostly), when they temp exceeds a degree, the chain breaks, in english, the drugs is considered useless and thhats why instead of the ideal 3yrs repeatation, it's done yearly so to avoid stories that touch
Finally why I will take the shot is because once the infection is confirmed in a human, the result is death 100%. Rabies like other virus is not treated so stop making rabies look like a childs play
I percieve u are trying to gloat here or probably u are the type that like arguing to win so I leave U to ur knowledge

No vex my brother.
Don't get me wrong I answered the op directly from what he explained and like I said earlier that its the believe of most ppl that everydog bite is rabid that I want to put away.I have some dogs.they say my rott bit them,even though its trespass as the rotts is in his territory, I know for sure the dog has no rabbies not cos of my previous vaccines but cos I know why D dog reacted that way and I observe all my dogs closely daily and if I notice any abnormality in the behaviour I will kill such dog by myself as I know its implication,sometimes you might not be in the mood for such bills ATM and at same time you don't want to implicate yourself in D environment,sometimes D Dr give anti tetanus I wonder what that has got to do with dog bites,and you pay the bills.
Don't get me wrong APITCH,its what I face sometimes with trespassers and visitors sometimes,but my dogs hardly bite but the scratches are said as bites and the bill is urs so annoying.I would kill any infected dog or quarantine him sharp sharp u know.
That is why I want to know if actually the OPs dog has rabbies for real
Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by BOUNTYDOG(m): 5:39pm On Sep 28, 2015
grin

Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by Ragner(m): 3:11pm On Sep 29, 2015
I want to thank You all for your Words of Advice and Contribution here. Its Exactly one week Now that I Got Bitten by MY Dog and I must say I Learnt a lot During this Period. From the Right kind of Vaccines to Administer to Proper Handling. Its been Thorough Fun although I got Scared a few times Especially when I feel Feverish grin

Anyway, I want to inform you all that I'm hale and Hearty today and that The Dog is also Rabies Free.
Thanks.
Re: How Do You Treat Dog Bites? by adellam16(f): 10:24am On Oct 03, 2015
Ragner:
Hey guys... I need Help Right now... I was Bitten by a Dog Few Seconds ago but I have no Idea about what Kind Of Treatment would be Suitable For it.

Any help?
human beings have issues dese days ever since social media popped up? U were bitten by a dog and instead of going to d hospital u choose to sit down comfortably at home fone in hand create a topic and wait for responses? A smart person will go to d doc and b treated den come to NL to ask for home remedies in case of another time! I pity u if d dog gat rabies.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Best Chemical For Dogs Ticks Infestation / Neopolitan Mastiff Puppies price reduced / Boerboel & Rottweiler Puppies For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.