Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,095 members, 7,825,456 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:09 PM

7 Things To Do If A Dog Bites You - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / 7 Things To Do If A Dog Bites You (617 Views)

Massive Python Bites US Zookeeper's Face As He Tries To Move Her Eggs (Photos) / Rottweiler Dog Bites Pupil To Death In Port-Harcourt, Shot Dead After. Photos / Family Dog BITES Of Pedophiles PENIS As He Tried To Rape The Sleeping Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Things To Do If A Dog Bites You by SaroWiwa: 4:19pm On May 28, 2018
If a dog bites you, take these steps right away:

1. Press on the wound gently to cause some bleeding to help flush out as much bacteria as possible.

2. Wash the wound with mild soap and water.

3.Slow the bleeding with a clean cloth.

4. Apply over-the counter antibiotic cream if you have it.

5.Wrap the wound in a sterile bandage. Keep the wound bandaged and see your doctor.

6.Change the bandage several times a day once your doctor has examined the wound.

7.Watch for signs of infection, including redness, swelling, increased pain and fever.

What will your doctor do?

Your doctor will want to know more about the dog that bit you and how it happened. He or she will also likely clean the wound again, apply antibiotic ointment and prescribe antibiotics, such as Augmentin, if there’s an infection concern.

Your doctor may also give you a booster shot if your tetanus vaccine is out-of-date.

Depending on the wound, your doctor may also recommend stitches. Generally, though, dog wounds are left open to heal unless they are on the face or if they could leave particularly severe scars if left unsutured.
Roughly 50 percent of dog bites introduce bacteria, including staphylococcus, streptococcus and pasteurella, as well as capnocytophaga.

Unvaccinated and feral dogs can also potentially carry — and transfer — rabies, so your doctor will want to know details about the dog that bit you.
Re: 7 Things To Do If A Dog Bites You by Rany4all(m): 5:47pm On May 28, 2018
Flawed in many ways:

1. Not every wound requires application of pressure. If the wound is not bleeding, then there's no need for pressure...and the purpose is not to flush out any bacteria, by the way, but to control bleeding if any.

2. I wouldn't want to wash an open wound with soap if I were you...it can cause irritation. You can, however, wash your hands and the skin surrounding the bite wound with soap and water so as to minimize introduction of germs into the wound. Clean running water is enough to wash the wound.

3. Some bite wounds do not bleed, so there'll be no need for the cloth in such cases. If there's bleeding then you can tie with a clean cloth to apply 'gentle' pressure (not too tight otherwise blood supply can be completely cut off to other parts of the body)

4. I'd advise consulting a doctor after washing the wound and controlling the bleeding, rather than applying any antibiotic.

6. Why would you still be dressing the wound yourself, after consulting a doctor...I'd imagine the doctor would take over the care of the wound from then on...

#JustMyThoughts!
Re: 7 Things To Do If A Dog Bites You by kaycexx(m): 5:58pm On May 28, 2018
Alright, nice First Aid tips
Re: 7 Things To Do If A Dog Bites You by khadaffi(m): 8:03am On May 29, 2018
If a Bull mastiff should angrily bite your hand, you will be dealing with injuries like fracture. That is if your hand is still in your body

(1) (Reply)

I Need Info On Hw To Care For My Puppies / Adult Male Lhasa Available In Ibadan / Female German Shepherd Puppies Available 30k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.