Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,206 members, 7,815,198 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:55 AM

Puppy Linux - A Superb Smart Small Fast And Versatile Linux Distro - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Puppy Linux - A Superb Smart Small Fast And Versatile Linux Distro (1768 Views)

How To Unlock Your Huawei Modem Yourself Fast And Easy / Browse Fast And Free With Ur Multilinks Modems / Fast And Cheapest Core I7 Desktop: Only 4 Systems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Puppy Linux - A Superb Smart Small Fast And Versatile Linux Distro by kelewax(m): 9:22am On Oct 07, 2006
I first learned of Linux in 2003 rather accidentally when a friend installed RedHat Linux on my desktop. Somehow, while exploring it I tampered with it and realized I could not boot the system again. Unfortunately my friend had relocated to PortHarcout so I decided to do a little research on Linux. I tried quite a few Distros until I stumbled across Puppy Linux. Since then I have not been able to run away from Puppy.

Puppy Linux, started by Barry Kauler, is a small, mature, fully featured Linux operating system for Desktop PC's. Puppy has a size of not more than 70mb. Puppy works well on old, second systems and is a delight on modern computers. People who try Puppy are amazed by his speed, ease of use and fun factor. Everyone Loves Puppy

Puppy Linux can be installed and run in different ways
Run from CD or DVD in the following ways
Live-CD.
Multisession-CD.
Run from Flash drive
Run from Hard drive
Run from Zip drive
Run from a network
Run from an Emulator in another operating system

When Puppy is run as a live-cd it will load totally into RAM so that the CD drive is then free for other purposes. When run as a multisession-cd Puppy can save everything back to the CD, so there is no need for a hard drive. Because Puppy is very small and can run from a CD, flash drive or a zip drive, individuals can carry the whole of their operating system and data with them on these media.

Puppy Linux runs from RAM and this makes Puppy extraordinarily fast even on very old systems like Pentium I computers. Puppy has been know to function well on systems with only 32MB of Ram. It also funtions well on systems that don't have a hard disk. The Puppy Forum and community is very friendly, newcommers are given alot of help promptly.

The small size of Puppy has not diminished the availability of usefull day to day applications. Puppy has all the applications needed for daily use as well as other less commonly used applications. Applications found on Puppy include those for wordprocessing, instant messaging, spreadsheet editing and graphics manupulation. Other applications are audio applications, printing, scanning, database, web page editing, addressbook, calendar and event management, file manager, outliner, organiser, video, pakage management, personal accounting, web browser, desktop publishing, bitmap image editing, games, networking and computer forensics to mention just a few. Morever it contains many megabytes of help pages. Puppy Linux has alot of wizards that makes setup very easy. Perhaps the most intreasting thing about Puppy is how easy it is for everybody to build their own custimized Puppy. This is evident by the many different variants of puppy and even other Distros based on Puppy.

"Overall, Puppy Linux is a superb, light-weight, fast and versatile Linux distribution with a great selection of applications, graphical system administration utilities and all sorts of unique features not readily available elsewhere. A great choice not only for older computers, but also for those who dislike the bloat of most modern distributions." - Distrowatch.com

Want to try it out? Start here http://www.puppylinux.org or [url]http://www.murga.org/~puppy[/url]
Re: Puppy Linux - A Superb Smart Small Fast And Versatile Linux Distro by kelewax(m): 8:44am On Nov 05, 2006
Are You a Microsoft Renegade?

Are you are a user of Windows or XP from Microsoft and unhappy being dependant on the dictatorship of business giants. Do you want to work with a phenomenaly fast Operating System? You may have heard about the alternative, often free, operating system Linux but are totally inexperienced in computer technology. Can you use Linux and especially Puppy Linux (Puppy Linux is phenomenaly fast because it runs entirely in RAM on most PC's)? The answer is most probably:

yes!

You can find basic information in this wiki, other Puppy Linux sites, and also at the Puppy forum∞ (great for all your specific questions not covered elsewhere) and, of course, in this section designed especially for beginners.

Follow please our fast procedure in 1, 2, 3, Etc. Points (written for the Puppy Linux stable version 1.0.8r1 but should still be usable for current Puppy versions):

Point 1: Preparations

* It is good to know the following information about your system before begining:
o Kind of file system used (FAT, the old long name file system from Windows 95, or NTFS)
o Space in the RAM (Random Access Memory) in your PC
o Kind of mouse (the use of a mouse is necessary in Linux graphic system)
o Kind of connection with the internet (Modem, DSL, or LAN are the most usual)
* Less important (Linux can check a lot of them) but also usefull if you enconter problems is to know:
o Type of:
+ graphic card, and chip set if special ( for ex. for economic computer design)
+ monitor and it's resolution (often 1000 x 768 pixels x 24)
+ sound card,
+ details concerning your internet connection
+ keyboard/printer/scanner.
* Puppy Linux or you (in case of an NTFS file system for example of WindowsXP) will add only one (or two) big file(s) to your current file system. This will be the only change compared with the current situation of your PC. But of course you need to have sufficient memory space on your hard disk.
* You need a CDROM with the ISO-file containing the Puppy-Linux live-cd (you can download the ISO file from one of the Puppy-Linux download sites, only about 60-70 MB, and write the downloaded ISO file as self starting CD, it is a special burning mode, on an empty CD)

Point 2: Prepare the First start

* The Puppy CD with the Puppy Linux system, did burn, is in your main CD reader (CD-ROM)
* (for Windows XP users under NTFS only: you did already copy or download the file PUP001 into your main directory of your main partition)
* You know or did check, that your computer can read system CD's (BIOS setup of your PC, see your PC Instruction booklet (in new PC's it is usually the preselected situation): you can test if the PC can start with the installation CD from Windows, it's analog!
* The Mouse is plugged-in (it must be plugged-in!)
* Then, please, be brave:
* Restart the computer!
* I will now explain what happens if I do this on my PC (I get Internet connection from an Ethernet hub LAN-connected with my hardware router that connects my family with the net via DSL. In your case, it may be a little different depending especially on your Internet connection):

Point 3: The First start (needs only about 3 , 5 minutes)

* The computer restarts now, checks if the CD-Rom is available, and starts from CD-Rom
* Puppy Linux Vers. x appears with a prompt (common in Linux) after 10 seconds. Linux then continues to start (if you enter "enter", it don't wait 10 seconds but executes a fast start)
* While starting, Linux will show a lot of messages on the screen, giving information about the executed starting steps, usually in white letters on black ground but sometimes different quitting words appairs in green text (good!) or red text (perhaps bad!)
* After that, a menu appears asking for a selection of a "keyboard map"
* Using the cursor, you can select your keyboard, then press "enter" to confirm "ok"
* Do the same to select your mouse in the next menu
* and the mouse wheel use, or not
* On my PC, Linux searches now for my Sound_card∞, finds two cards and asks me to choose (can be different on your PC!) and confirm my choice
* Linux informs me where it creates the file with the sound card parameters and I can write it if I wantl; then I can test it

* Now comes a very important step: I can choose between two Video_server∞s. Depending on my choice, I decide about the resolution etc. on my screen. The standard server for Puppy Linux is Xvesa∞, it is a kind of no echec server but the resolution, keymap etc. can be bad under this choice. The best choice is the second: Xorg∞.
* At you place, I would try directly Xorg. If you completely fail (you will probably get a second chance to choice Xvesa), sorry, please restart the computer in Windows, erase the pupp001 file (XP-windows/NTSF user: and copy a fresh pupp001 file at the same place!), and repeat all the steps. Sorry, Now use please Xvesa of course! Following infos are in case of Xorg:
* After a few seconds /minutes, you can choice the resolution of your screen. If possible use please the same as under Windows (I use 1024 x 768)! And the the kind of colors (I change the proposed choice and use next choice, with 24: it is true colors)
* Xorg informs that it will try to plunge it, and after a (long) time, if successfull, you will have to confirm within 40 seconds using the mouse by clicking on the word "okay"
* click (probably) on "finished"
* and "done".

Point 4: The basic Puppy system runs now!

* The real Puppy Linux desktop appairs after a short time!

* Depending of your language and country, Puppy Linux is now already full operable for almost all applications used by a common user with eventually 2 important exceptions: Internet connection and Printer setup.
* If it is enough, you can really start to use Puppy Linux as you did use Windows until now!
* As under Windows, you can shut down the computer by clicking on the Screen key "start" left at the bottom in the tool bar, then "shut down" and after that "Power off computer"wink
Re: Puppy Linux - A Superb Smart Small Fast And Versatile Linux Distro by adewaleafolabi(m): 1:40pm On Nov 05, 2006
well i think am going 2try puppy since its so small i try downloading it but would i be able to browse on it with my moto l6 cos i wasn't able to do so on ubuntu
Re: Puppy Linux - A Superb Smart Small Fast And Versatile Linux Distro by adewaleafolabi(m): 1:42pm On Nov 05, 2006
well i think am going 2try puppy since its so small i try downloading it but would i be able to browse on it with my moto l6 cos i wasn't able to do so on ubuntu
Re: Puppy Linux - A Superb Smart Small Fast And Versatile Linux Distro by Chxta(m): 7:40pm On Nov 09, 2006
I'm surprised that your phone issues on Ubuntu weren't solved guy. Anyways, I'd recommend Puppy any day. Though of the light weight distros, Damn Small Linux is my favorite.
Re: Puppy Linux - A Superb Smart Small Fast And Versatile Linux Distro by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:07pm On Nov 09, 2006
@chxta
it solved it partially but i don't why on earth the gprs logo comes up 4a sec b4 vanishing i tried bluetooth d same result i guess 4some reasons its not possible on ubuntu plz anyone prove me wrong

@kelewax
i tried puppy 2day don't have a clue on how 2install and it keeps getting my keyboard layout wrong even after i changed it.
Re: Puppy Linux - A Superb Smart Small Fast And Versatile Linux Distro by kelewax(m): 6:03pm On Nov 11, 2006
@adewaleafolabi
What version of Puppy did you try? Also there are different ways to use Puppy. You could run it without installing it on the system either from a CD or a flash-disc. At the other extreme you could run it entirely from you hard-drive by installing it on the HardDrive. In between these methods you could have a situation where you run from CD or Flash while still having you data and settings stored on the Hard-Drive of the system. Which ever way you want to go you have to first run the CD you burned Puppy on to start Puppy for the first time. Then from the start menu select the install method you want.

As for your second question, you have to save your settings when exiting Puppy. Solving the first question above will solve this one.

Try this link [url]http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=597[/url]
Re: Puppy Linux - A Superb Smart Small Fast And Versatile Linux Distro by kelewax(m): 6:05pm On Nov 11, 2006

(1) (Reply)

Bluegate Vs Excel Pro Ups / Need Help With Universal Usb Modem Driver / Super Clean Hp Probook 430, Intel Core I5 N65k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.