Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,002 members, 7,821,514 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:10 PM

Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary - Culture (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (502807 Views)

We Need To See More Hausa And Fulani Girls Representing Nigeria And In Nollywood / Traditional/ Native Hausa And Fulani Names? / How Did The Populations Of The Igbo, Hausa, And Yoruba Come To Be So Large? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 12:28pm On Oct 04, 2011
Odumchi,Yes,I use elekere so so does everyone in my family except my late dad who used "ataang".

Ataang might go extinct or be out of fashion considering that schools and even media houses all use "elekere"
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 9:03pm On Oct 04, 2011
Central Igbo is changing things. I never knew that things as simple as saying "clock" were changing so fast. Anyway thanks for the description.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by farleft: 1:00pm On Oct 08, 2011
Hello guys and gals. I recently made a searchable online English-Igbo and Igbo-English dictionary. You can find it at

http://mkpuruokwu.org/

For example, you can see the definition of house-rat at [url]http://mkpuruokwu.org/dictionary?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=house-rat&dict=en-ig[/url] and the translation of odibo at[url=http://mkpuruokwu.org/dictionary?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=odibo&dict=ig-en] http://mkpuruokwu.org/dictionary?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=odibo&dict=ig-en[/url] .

The site also has instructions on adding further entries to the dictionary. I hope you all can contribute so we can build this vital Igbo language resource.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 7:26pm On Oct 10, 2011
farleft, are you planning provisions for users to be able submit their own dictionary entries wich can be approved by moderators? It would broaden the dictionary. Also, do you have plans on expanding the website into other fields/updating it, like we have the web 2.0 looking http://dictionary.reference.com/ with 'words of the day', 'quotes', mini-encyclopaedias, or even links to other languages, and, importantly, links to social networking? If I were you, I would make a facebook page and twitter account as soon as possible if you haven't already.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Amujale(m): 9:30pm On Oct 10, 2011
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by amor4ce(m): 8:44am On Oct 14, 2011
What's the meaning of doba'le, ikun'le, Sungbo and Eredo?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by emofine(f): 5:50pm On Oct 15, 2011
Omo Yoruba I salute una, please can someone kindly help me out with the English translation of "ni"?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 9:18am On Oct 16, 2011
Ndi Igbo how do you translate the following:
Result(of a competition etc)
Report(of a probe panel,an enquiry)

Cheers.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 12:33am On Dec 06, 2011
Ify here you go

Report -(Central Igbo) Nchoputa

Result *of a test* -(Central Igbo) Osisa ule
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 7:12am On Dec 08, 2011
Thanks Odumchi.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 6:31pm On Dec 10, 2011
no prob.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by demoise: 10:17pm On Dec 31, 2011
please how do u say happy new year in hausa?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by abt(m): 11:42am On Jan 05, 2012
how do you say " i woke up in Yoruba Land today" in Yoruba please?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by naijadiva2(f): 6:33pm On Jan 05, 2012
ChinenyeN:

Yes. If you ask for the meaning (particularly if you ask southerners) no one can give you answer, but they can say what it refers to, being the god of thunder, which we originally know by another name. As for the use of both lu/nu variants, maybe. It might be possible, but I've yet to see or hear an Ngwa, Asa, Echee, Ndoki, Ikwere, etc. write or pronounce "Kamalu".

I might be late but i'm ngwa and our family name is kamalu.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 10:35pm On Jan 05, 2012
naija_diva:

I might be late but i'm ngwa and our family name is kamalu.
I actually met my first Ngwa Kamalu last year shortly after the Ngwa convention. I won't lie, I wasn't as surprised as I thought I'd be. It's just that I'm used to always hearing/reading Kamanu instead.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ALGAMISH: 12:09pm On Jan 20, 2012
Extremist    MAI-TSAURI
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Valon4ego(m): 8:25am On Jan 26, 2012
Please can someone translate this igbo word "arinze" as in "arinze chukwu" (i doubt anybody can)
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by veritaaz: 10:06am On Feb 06, 2012
Hello fellow igbo nigerian friends!
can someone please assist translate this into igbo language? i'm assisting my 7yr old with his school assignment on five sentences about Dogs. Thanks i await your response.

Dogs are the best companions a human could get on Earth
They are suitable to play with when bored.
They are loyal and will stay by your side.
They bark to alert of any stranger or strange actions
Dogs loves eating bones.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by KazaaUpload: 3:13am On Feb 07, 2012
Lola
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 3:24pm On Feb 08, 2012
Valon4ego:

Please can someone translate this igbo word "arinze" as in "arinze chukwu" (i doubt anybody can)
Arinze Chukwu means 2 things:

This happened because of God
All thanks be to God.

A better example:
Arinze na i bialu,aguru choro igbu m.
Thank God you came,i wud have starved to death.
If not for your coming,i would have starved to death.

Obviously,the visitor brought the first person food.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 3:29pm On Feb 08, 2012
veritaaz:

Hello fellow igbo nigerian friends!
can someone please assist translate this into igbo language? i'm assisting my 7yr old with his school assignment on five sentences about Dogs. Thanks i await your response.

Dogs are the best companions a human could get on Earth
They are suitable to play with when bored.
They are loyal and will stay by your side.
They bark to alert of any stranger or strange actions
Dogs loves eating bones.
Done at the Igbo kwenu thread.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Valon4ego(m): 3:32pm On Feb 08, 2012
ifyalways:

Arinze Chukwu means 2 things:

This happened because of God
All thanks be to God.

A better example:
Arinze na i bialu,aguru choro igbu m.
Thank God you came,i wud have starved to death.
If not for your coming,i would have starved to death.

Obviously,the visitor brought the first person food.
thanks alot,but i think it also has elements of "if not for". Such a complex word!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 3:39pm On Feb 08, 2012
Yes,it does.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 3:48pm On Feb 08, 2012
KazaaUpload:

Eti e naa nitori pe o ri e
oshey osan orun deh po mofe sinmi oshey gan
Ti o ba ti shey tan face warrant eh
Fimile erin eh oun pami
Tin ba fur e leti wa ri star
Mio raye ejor cos ejor lofe ro
Shey moo moo oruko eh ni jor oo
Ma fi e pa dada
Shey mi di e mu ni

I'm not Yoruba but I would try,it looks more like a friendly banter.
"Your ear and ur head.Thank u Osan Orudepoh(2nd speakers name maybe?)
I want to rest,thank you.
If you are done(talking maybe),mind your business.
Leave me alone,you make me laugh.
If i slap you,you'd see stars(you'd be dazed)
I dont have ur time cos its about to rain.
Please,I don't know ur name.
I would marry you again.
Am i holding you?"

NOTE:My translations are not perfect.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Valon4ego(m): 2:58pm On Feb 11, 2012
please to the yorubas, how do you use "ko" and "ni"?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 10:02am On Feb 13, 2012
Valon4ego:

please to the yorubas, how do you use "ko" and "ni"?
I think its 'nay/no/negative and aye/yes/positive' when used independently but when both are used in same sentence,it becomes "neither"
Keyword is think,don't quote me.

Emi ko=not me
Emi ni=It is me. . .(that did it)

Iwo ko,emi ni= its neither of us . . .
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Ptolomeus(m): 4:31pm On Feb 17, 2012
Dear Friends,
Can you help me with the Yoruba translation of the phrase:
"sweet water that breaks the hard rock"
From already thank you very much everyone!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by lepasharon(f): 4:36pm On Feb 17, 2012
^
'omi didun to n fo okuta'
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Ptolomeus(m): 4:40pm On Feb 17, 2012
lepasharon:

^
'omi didun to n fo okuta'
Thank you dear friend
You have been very friendly!
I am extremely grateful!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 3:24am On Apr 07, 2012
Igbo, is there a more accurate way of saying "to smile" ("ichi ochi"wink in central Igbo? I know how to say it in both central Igbo and in my dialect but I'm wondering if there's a more accurate way of saying it in Izugbe.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 4:14am On Apr 07, 2012
odumchi: Igbo, is there a more accurate way of saying "to smile" ("ichi ochi"wink in central Igbo? I know how to say it in both central Igbo and in my dialect but I'm wondering if there's a more accurate way of saying it in Izugbe.
How does Aro say 'to smile'?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 4:19am On Apr 07, 2012
ChinenyeN:
How does Aro say 'to smile'?

We say "Ija eze". Do you know another way of saying it in Izugbe? And what of Ngwa?

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (52) (Reply)

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.