Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,465 members, 7,819,702 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:17 PM

Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary - Culture (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (502667 Views)

We Need To See More Hausa And Fulani Girls Representing Nigeria And In Nollywood / Traditional/ Native Hausa And Fulani Names? / How Did The Populations Of The Igbo, Hausa, And Yoruba Come To Be So Large? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 6:36pm On Apr 07, 2012
The closest I know for Izugbe is ichi ochi, but that is laughter. I don't know how Izugbe says 'smile'.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 6:37am On Apr 08, 2012
Oh okay. Thanks anyway.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 7:17am On Apr 09, 2012
I've found out how to say 'to smile'. It's 'ima amu'. I actually came upon this while watching a film.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 8:53pm On Apr 11, 2012
Lol, odumchi its "imu amu". Amu with its other meaning diminishes its usage. Ichi ochi is better. . . For everyones sanity. Lol

Check out the following:
Amu atogbugom(I can't stop laughing)
Amu na atom/ asom(I am laughing)

Translate with the other meaning of amu and you'd end up embarrassed.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 9:12pm On Apr 11, 2012
Oh, I see. Thank you very much Ify. I guess it's one of those phrases that are meant to be spoken only lol. If written and used out of context... lipsrsealed
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 12:54am On Apr 25, 2012
Umu Igbo, can anyone tell me what "O kpoo" and "i shi m'mee kpoo ole" mean in the Ngwa and Owere dialects?

I am guessing "O kpoo" means "that's how it is done" and "I shi m'mee kpoo ole" means "what do you want me to do" but I'd like some confirmation.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 4:10pm On Apr 28, 2012
^You got both right.O kpoo ori.lolz

Ngwas use 'kpoo' too ?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 9:04pm On Apr 28, 2012
Ngwa says otu, not kpa.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 11:05pm On Apr 28, 2012
ifyalways: ^You got both right.O kpoo ori.lolz

Ngwas use 'kpoo' too ?

Thanks. I thought the Ngwa used 'Kpoo' because I watched a video in which an Ngwa Eze said "o kpoo".

ChinenyeN: Ngwa says otu, not kpa.

Thank you my brother.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 11:39pm On Apr 28, 2012
odumchi:
Thanks. I thought the Ngwa used 'Kpoo' because I watched a video in which an Ngwa Eze said "o kpoo".
It is true that we do say kpoo in Ngwa, but the expression isn't connected to Owerri speech in any way (as far as I know), but please link the video if that is possible. I won't be able to give any fitting comments unless I see/hear what you saw/heard.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 1:19am On Apr 29, 2012
I remember hearing it in this video, although I don't remember the exact location in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPbgMDBWtDE&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 1:24am On Apr 29, 2012
I know this video. I've watched it a few times, though I'm not fond of it. I'll watch it again and see if I can come across whichever part it was that you came across.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 1:34am On Apr 29, 2012
ChinenyeN: I know this video. I've watched it a few times, though I'm not fond of it. I'll watch it again and see if I can come across whichever part it was that you came across.

I'm in no hurry. Take your time and do whatever you need to do.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 2:12am On Apr 29, 2012
This video sef. Anyway, I watched it, but I didn't hear kpoo. Maybe if you were able to point where you came across it, I might have been of better help.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 12:20pm On Apr 30, 2012
ChinenyeN: This video sef. Anyway, I watched it, but I didn't hear kpoo. Maybe if you were able to point where you came across it, I might have been of better help.

The word im talking about is pronounced 'ọ kpọọ' (usually said in agreement) not the same way as the Owere 'kpo'. But I think you guys have already answered the bulk of my question. I don't remember the exact part of the video because it itself is extensive. Thanks for the help you've rendered already.

Anyway, what makes you dislike the video?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 1:13am On May 01, 2012
odumchi:
Anyway, what makes you dislike the video?
The misinformation, but I don't blame those who produced the video. They are only reciting a viewpoint that became so popular during post-Biafra that even the 'Ezes' think it's okay to repeat it.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 2:06am On May 01, 2012
ChinenyeN:
The misinformation, but I don't blame those who produced the video. They are only reciting a viewpoint that became so popular during post-Biafra that even the 'Ezes' think it's okay to repeat it.

Not to digress, but what viewpoint may this be? I'm only asking because I know little to know thing about Ngwa politics/history. Therefore I don't want to assume everything the man said as correct when it may not be.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Fulaman198(m): 5:31pm On May 03, 2012
It would be nice if they added a Fulfulde section here to make us Fulani people not feel left out. I'm sure other ethnic groups of Nigeria feel the same way.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 2:35pm On May 04, 2012
odumchi: Not to digress, but what viewpoint may this be? I'm only asking because I know little to know thing about Ngwa politics/history. Therefore I don't want to assume everything the man said as correct when it may not be.
Without going in-depth, it's the viewpoint that Ngwa ancestors migrated from Umunoha in what is now Mbaitoli LGA.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 4:49am On May 05, 2012
ChinenyeN:
Without going in-depth, it's the viewpoint that Ngwa ancestors migrated from Umunoha in what is now Mbaitoli LGA.

Oh okay, thanks.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 4:52am On May 05, 2012
Fulaman198: It would be nice if they added a Fulfulde section here to make us Fulani people not feel left out. I'm sure other ethnic groups of Nigeria feel the same way.

This section is open to all groups not only the Igbo, Hausa, and Yoruba. Saying "Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba" is equivalent to saying "everyone". It's like "wazobia" meaning everybody in general.

All groups are welcomed to post here.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 3:32pm On May 19, 2012
I recently came upon this comprehensive online Igbo dictionary. It has an Igbo-English section, an English-Igbo section, and a small introduction on the history of the Igbo people. I felt it would be nice to share it with others. Enjoy!

http://books.google.com/books?id=8JDg94vBNLcC&pg=PA63&lpg=PA63&dq=osu+bat+igbo&source=bl&ots=EsusrgPe8X&sig=JizZBHFQh8S-c1DB3kLwpW0l3W4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=6Iu2T9zFDaGt6AGA2oXHCg&ved=0CFQQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

If I find this sort of thing for any other language, I'll be sure to post it also.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by theigbonation: 12:54pm On Jun 24, 2012
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by PointB: 7:59pm On Jun 28, 2012
Umunna na Umunne m, Ekele m unu ,

Starting from 8.00 GMT tomorrow, we shall begin take a step further in line with the journey we embarked about 6 months ago.

As you are aware last December, we took a historic step towards unifying and promoting our peculiar interest by electing an Eze.
The important step led to the birth of Eze Ndi Igbo 1, of Nairaland - Onlytruth, ndu di n'eziokwu 1 of Igboland, Eze Ndigbo Nairaland.

Within his first week in office, Eze OnlyTruth, assembled his cabinet and has since never looked back. Those who have followed development since would agree that his impact has been roundly felt in his this portfolio.

However, the need for continuity, preservation, and to some extent legitimacy has informed the need for us to (re)write the rules. On this note, I enjoin my brethren, allies, and friends of Igbo to join us as we embark on Premier Nairaland Constitution Conference. Let us set the rule for our group, empower it, and use it to launch serious offensive against our politicians whose kleptomania, corruptions, and incompetence rob us and our allies our legitimate dividend of democracy and one Nigeria.

To make this process more productive, the time table below shall guide us:

We should be starting this process on Friday (8.00 GMT or thereabout?)

Day 0. We sensitive members tomorrow and establish the ground rules for the constitution drafting.
Day 1. Article 1: Name, and symbol(s) (including color) (pls bear in mind that we prefer name acceptable to our allies especially from SS)
Day 2: Article 1 continued: Aims, Objectives, and Affiliation(s) of the Association
Day 3: Article 2: Patrons, Power, Scope and Limitation of the Association
Day 4: Article 3: Membership and Eligibility
Day 5: Article 4: Officer, Cabinet Members and responsibilities
Day 6: Article 5: Meetings and Quorom
Day 7: Article 6: Terms of Office and Elections, Removal from office
Day 8: Article 7: Hand-Over Process and Continuity
Day 9 Article 8: Finance ?
Day 10: Article 9: Amendment of Constitution
Day 11: Article 10: Dissolution
Day 12: Debate closes collation begins,

Should you wish to assist in moderation and collation of the debates, kindly inform me on this thread. The plan is to keep the debate on this thread, however, we may create another thread if necessary. Time is of essence.

The Pre Nairaland Constitution Conference debate is hereby now open.

Shall we begin?

Please visit our Parliamentary Office below to make your contribution:
https://www.nairaland.com/934808/eze-ndi-igbo-parliamentary-office/10#11262078
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by TerryCarr(m): 6:53pm On Jul 03, 2012
Nigeria could make Languages Official with English smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Fulaman198(m): 9:07pm On Jul 03, 2012
TerryCarr: Nigeria could make Languages Official with English smiley

They already have, English is hardly spoken in the North of Nigeria, many Non-Hausa like myself speak Hausa as the lingua Franca in the North.

It depends on what region you go to in Nigeria really. There are people in Nigeria who can not even speak English.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ublog360(m): 3:31pm On Jul 10, 2012
Igbo Language

ebe - place
onye - person
ndi - people
unu - you (/all of you)
ala - land
ara - madness
ndewo - welcome
imela - well done
ututu-oma - good morning
ehihe oma - good afternoon
mgbede oma - good evening
kachi buo/ abali oma - good night
nri - food
Amara - Grace
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Fulaman198(m): 6:30pm On Jul 11, 2012
Fulfulde (Fulani language):

Leydi - place or land another word is "lessdi"
Niddo - Person
Rewbe - Women
Worbe - Men
A waali jam - Good morning to one person (did you sleep well)
On baali jam - Good morning to more than one person
Dedirawo - Close friend
Nyalli jam - Good evening
Geno - God
Sudu - House/Room
Dudal - Religious school
Wuro - Village or Family depending on context of usage
Lamido - Chief of Head of Village
Bangal - Marriage
Teegal - Celebration for marriage
Dewgal - Form of marriage
Fulbe - Fulani people
Pullo - Fulani person
Nayjeria - Nigeria
Hausanjo - Hausa person
Hawsanke - Hausa people
Nagge - Cattle
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 6:30am On Jul 18, 2012
Can you please delete the unauthorized picture posted on this page: https://www.nairaland.com/973124/beauty-afro-brazilian-women/21
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 6:03pm On Jul 18, 2012
shymmex: Can you please delete the unauthorized picture posted on this page: https://www.nairaland.com/973124/beauty-afro-brazilian-women/21

Complaints don't belong here. There is a separate thread designed for complaints/requests.

Don't shy away from utilizing it.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by carolgreen702: 2:14am On Aug 16, 2012
good information and translation ,that's so funny
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by mkmyers45(m): 1:07pm On Aug 27, 2012
Fulaman198: Fulfulde (Fulani language):

Leydi - place or land another word is "lessdi"
Niddo - Person
Rewbe - Women
Worbe - Men
A waali jam - Good morning to one person (did you sleep well)
On baali jam - Good morning to more than one person
Dedirawo - Close friend
Nyalli jam - Good evening
Geno - God
Sudu - House/Room
Dudal - Religious school
Wuro - Village or Family depending on context of usage
Lamido - Chief of Head of Village
Bangal - Marriage
Teegal - Celebration for marriage
Dewgal - Form of marriage
Fulbe - Fulani people
Pullo - Fulani person
Nayjeria - Nigeria
Hausanjo - Hausa person
Hawsanke - Hausa people
Nagge - Cattle

Min-dun nuna fulfulde smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (52) (Reply)

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / ..

Viewing this topic: Nico24, Dudeladude(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.