Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,677 members, 7,809,572 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:26 AM

Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary - Culture (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (501646 Views)

We Need To See More Hausa And Fulani Girls Representing Nigeria And In Nollywood / Traditional/ Native Hausa And Fulani Names? / How Did The Populations Of The Igbo, Hausa, And Yoruba Come To Be So Large? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 10:55pm On Dec 19, 2012
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChrisWillows: 11:32pm On Jan 12, 2013
Hello, what dos it mean ALOYE in Yoruba Thank you!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 11:08pm On Jan 13, 2013
ChrisWillows: Hello, what dos it mean ALOYE in Yoruba Thank you!
alonye?
Dunno, only know of "oloye"* which means king/chief.

* =spelling might be wrong.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by StarFlux: 4:04am On Jan 14, 2013
Could also be alaaye, living being. But hard to say, never heard aloye before, it sounds like some Edo name called Aloaye.

Oye is easy to identify, but no idea where you would get "al" from, can't think of any word that would make sense. Al = seller/owner. An owner of oye?? You sure it's Yoruba?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by StarFlux: 1:28am On Jan 21, 2013
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fatimah24: 9:00pm On Mar 04, 2013
Aloy.Emeka:
Candle:

Igbo: Ori ona

Yoruba: ?

Hausa: ?

Key:

Igbo: Mgbachi

Yoruba:?

Hausa:makulli

Padlock

Igbo: igodo

Yoruba:?

Hausa:kwado

N/B:
If you have other translations like Benin, Fufulde, Efik, Ibibio, Urhobo etc please add them.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 3:41pm On Mar 25, 2013
can anyone pls assist me with the herb 'sweet myrtle' in yoruba ,igbo and hausa language?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 11:43pm On Mar 25, 2013
zeezzy: can anyone pls assist me with the herb 'sweet myrtle' in yoruba ,igbo and hausa language?
Is that not gwo-gwo-ri-she undecided
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 11:11am On Mar 26, 2013
ifyalways:
Is that not gwo-gwo-ri-she undecided
@ify,pls is that the igbo name for it?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 12:14pm On Mar 26, 2013
zeezzy: @ify,pls is that the igbo name for it?
I think its an universal name.Igbos call it gwo-gwo-rise too undecided
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Tgen: 6:59pm On Apr 03, 2013
Sarauniya:

Hausa

1. Paw Paw - Gwanda

2. Soursop - Tuwon Biri (Hehe! Literally, Monkey's Tuwo)

3. Sugar - Sikari

4. Honey - Zuma

5. Dirt - Depends on the context. Daud'a - generic for dirt (not to be confused with the name); Datti derived from the english word; Kazamta - more on the disgusting side, Shara - dirt from sweeping the floor.

hey sarauniya, pls, i'll like to improve on my hausa language, and i hope u cn help. Kin iya aje lamba ki a hausa? Wld be glad if u did. Thank u.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by dominique(f): 4:13pm On Apr 25, 2013
Pls can someone tell me what is bride or wife in Igbo language. Fenks smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 8:46pm On Apr 25, 2013
dominique: Pls can someone tell me what is bride or wife in Igbo language. Fenks smiley

Wife/bride in Central Igbo is 'nwunye'.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by dominique(f): 9:25pm On Apr 25, 2013
Thanks. Is that what they call it among the Delta Igbo too?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 11:06pm On Apr 25, 2013
dominique: Thanks. Is that what they call it among the Delta Igbo too?

That's what it's called in general Igbo; I don't know the local variant(s) for it in Delta. Since it's general Igbo, every Igbo person, irrespective of origin, ought to understand you, though.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by youngies(m): 3:22pm On May 03, 2013
Table
Cashew
Radio
Vacation

Can anyone help with the Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba and Tiv names for the above words?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 2:28am On May 04, 2013
youngies: Table
Cashew
Radio
Vacation

Can anyone help with the Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba and Tiv names for the above words?

Igbo

Table - okpokoro
Cashew - asiboko
Radio - Ngere ozi
Vacation - ezumike/nzumike
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by youngies(m): 12:57pm On May 05, 2013
odumchi:

Igbo

Table - okpokoro
Cashew - asiboko
Radio - Ngere ozi
Vacation - ezumike/nzumike
Table - okpokoro
Cashew - asiboko

Never heard of these before, which dialect are those?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 1:06pm On May 05, 2013
youngies:
Table - okpokoro
Cashew - asiboko

Never heard of these before, which dialect are those?

They're both Aro dialect. 'Asiboko' really means peanut but I guess it can be applied to cashews as well.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by youngies(m): 11:33am On May 07, 2013
odumchi:

They're both Aro dialect. 'Asiboko' really means peanut but I guess it can be applied to cashews as well.
Okpokoro in my dialect is an empty vessel or shell cool
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by its22078: 2:26pm On May 08, 2013
ndigbo - wat does [/i]hapuru[i] mean ?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 11:47pm On May 08, 2013
youngies:
Okpokoro in my dialect is an empty vessel or shell cool

'okpokoro' (table) and 'ọkpọkọrọ' (empty shell/skull) are two different words.

its22078: ndigbo - wat does [/i]hapuru[i] mean ?

'Hapuru' has a definition that fluctuates based on which vowels are stressed and its place in the sentence. Its general meaning has to do with leaving something [alone] or [for] someone.

Could you provide an example in a sentence?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by its22078: 8:49pm On May 10, 2013
odumchi:

'okpokoro' (table) and 'ọkpọkọrọ' (empty shell/skull) are two different words.

'Hapuru' has a definition that fluctuates based on which vowels are stressed and its place in the sentence. Its general meaning has to do with leaving something [alone] or [for] someone.

Could you provide an example in a sentence?

Thanks
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by dtanigwe(f): 5:42am On May 13, 2013
Please, I am trying to learn Igbo language, and I want to know how to say "God is so good to me" in Igbo.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 6:04am On May 13, 2013
dtanigwe: Please, I am trying to learn Igbo language, and I want to know how to say "God is so good to me" in Igbo.

"Chai, Chi emeka" means "God has done so much [for me]". The 'chai' means 'oh!' and is used for emphasis.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by eetteh: 4:52pm On May 14, 2013
I've got this old song stuck in my head but have no idea what the second part means, please could someone help translate??

Ime Imela, Imela Jehovah imela
A yin nekele gi na si gi imela, imela Jehova imela
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 4:09am On May 16, 2013
eetteh: I've got this old song stuck in my head but have no idea what the second part means, please could someone help translate??

A yin nekele gi na si gi imela, imela Jehova imela

"You have done well, Jehovah, you have done well
You have done well, Jehovah, you have done well
We are thanking you saying you have done well, you have done well, Jehovah, you have done well"
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by CELL2ME2: 4:32pm On May 23, 2013
KEY is called Igodo
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by eetteh: 12:18pm On May 24, 2013
Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (52) (Reply)

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.