Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,250 members, 7,818,863 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:52 AM

Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary - Culture (35) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (502579 Views)

We Need To See More Hausa And Fulani Girls Representing Nigeria And In Nollywood / Traditional/ Native Hausa And Fulani Names? / How Did The Populations Of The Igbo, Hausa, And Yoruba Come To Be So Large? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Phut(f): 2:39am On Oct 27, 2015
odumchi:

Hmmm. I'm asking because I came across an interpretation of 'uka' which described it as a 'love affair'. Apparently, in whichever dialect this term is from, a romantic relationship between a man and a woman can be described as 'ino na uka' and this term was extended by the early converts to describe the relationship between Christians and their God, hence church service is called 'uka'.

When I initially thought about the meanings of those names, my interpretations were much similar to what you guys said here. But then, as I began to consider other names like Ukaegbu, Ukachukwu, Ukaigwe, Ukamaka, and Ukaiwe, things became a bit fuzzy.
Actually, reading what you wrote, the bolded makes a whole lot of sense.
Uka does not only mean "love affair". That would be too narrow a definition. It would also mean Union/unity/ friendship ....

Ukaegbu = May friendship/union with people, not kill me/be my downfall

Ukachukwu = Unity with God

Ukaigwe = Unity with God/sky

Ukamaka = Unity is a beautiful thing

Ukaiwe, I don't know. This may be from the other definition of "uka"

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by lat55(f): 3:11am On Oct 27, 2015
Phut:

Ke is to Divide/divvy up

Kesam = Divide and leave a portion for me

Ndu = Life

Kesandu is a plea to the giver of life (God) to give you life (and by implication, all the good that comes with it),more abundantly smiley

Thanks a bunch

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Phut(f): 3:40am On Oct 27, 2015
lat55:

Thanks a bunch

You're welcome. Do you have a naming, coming up?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 7:36am On Oct 27, 2015
odumchi:

Hmmm. I'm asking because I came across an interpretation of 'uka' which described it as a 'love affair'. Apparently, in whichever dialect this term is from, a romantic relationship between a man and a woman can be described as 'ino na uka' and this term was extended by the early converts to describe the relationship between Christians and their God, hence church service is called 'uka'

This is interesting. In my place we have a different explanation for how Christians came to be called 'Ndu Uka'. Apparently, my people thought there was just too much talking/discourses going on in that religion - sermons, arguing dogma with would-be converts, catechism classes, open-air preaching in markets and village squares, etc.

'Uka' as it occurs in names is probably synonymous with 'Izu'.

'Anyi na-akali uka' and 'anyi na-agba izu' mean nearly the same thing in my dialect, the only difference being that 'izu' is more of 'deliberating' than just any kind of discussion, while 'uka' has a much more flexible application.

Anyway, my point is that names like Ukachi/Ukachukwu and Izuchukwu, Ukaegbu and Izuegbu, Ukadike and Izudike are probably close in meaning.

How to give a clear explanation eludes me, but I think Chinenye's explanation fits.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by lat55(f): 2:48am On Oct 28, 2015
Phut:

You're welcome. Do you have a naming, coming up?

Baby on board smiley. Trying to pick names came across this one n liked it
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Phut(f): 4:36am On Oct 28, 2015
lat55:

Baby on board smiley. Trying to pick names came across this one n liked it

Congratulobia cheesy
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by lat55(f): 9:50am On Oct 29, 2015
Phut:

Congratulobia cheesy

Thank u, thank u
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by kolajosh(m): 6:14pm On Nov 02, 2015
Please what's the Yoruba Name for the Horse hair fly whisk used by Yoruba Kings?

Irukere
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by rugbyprop(m): 9:30pm On Nov 02, 2015
Friends:

Is this correct in Hausa?

Ƙasar Ghana tana daya daga cikin kasashen Afirka ta yamma. Sunan babban birnin ƙasar Accra.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ryom(m): 10:38am On Nov 07, 2015
What is the literal and implied translation of this: Adaba npogede bi eyele kogbo, eyele gbo, tiri tiri lo ntiri ?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 6:23am On Nov 09, 2015
ChinenyeN, odumchi...do you guys know if there is another word used in the Igbo area for 'twins'. Something seems to be off about the only word for it I know (ejima).

If you also know the word used for it by your non-Igbo speaking neighbours (Ibibio, etc), do share that as well.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Salym(m): 10:53am On Nov 11, 2015
rugbyprop:
Friends:

Is this correct in Hausa?

Ƙasar Ghana tana daya daga cikin kasashen Afirka ta yamma. Sunan babban birnin ƙasar Accra.
100% correct.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by AzontoGhost(m): 12:00pm On Nov 11, 2015
Salym:
100% correct.
translate to English please.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by tunlex01(m): 4:32pm On Nov 11, 2015
Please I need the translation of these words in yoruba. My boss is celebrating her 16th Wedding anniversary and would be making a design for her in yoruba.

'wow! 16 years away in your matrimonial home and still counting'
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by baldeagle15: 12:13pm On Nov 14, 2015
I need[i] unam ikot[/i] in English, I don’t know whether they should be together or separated
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nina4u(f): 12:15am On Nov 15, 2015
Please i need some help in Yoruba ... How do i say ... I am yours for etarnaty my husband ? Help anyone?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by tunlex01(m): 7:03pm On Nov 16, 2015
Nina4u:
Please i need some help in Yoruba ... How do i say ... I am yours for etarnaty my husband ? Help anyone?
Iwo lo ni mi titi lai, oko mi
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 2:25am On Nov 20, 2015
Radoillo:
ChinenyeN, odumchi...do you guys know if there is another word used in the Igbo area for 'twins'. Something seems to be off about the only word for it I know (ejima).

If you also know the word used for it by your non-Igbo speaking neighbours (Ibibio, etc), do share that as well.

No, there isn't any other word that I am aware of. I also don't know what our non-Igbo speaking neighbors call it, though I can certainly check and find out. Why do you ask?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by bigfrancis21: 6:00am On Nov 20, 2015
Radoillo:

What is off about 'ejima'?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 5:50pm On Nov 20, 2015
ChinenyeN:

No, there isn't any other word that I am aware of. I also don't know what our non-Igbo speaking neighbors call it, though I can certainly check and find out. Why do you ask?

I was attempting etymologies of different Igbo words, and it seems to me that a Yoruba-Igala etymology better accounts for the word than an Igbo one. This would have made some sense if 'ejima' was used only in the northern Igbo fringe and in the Oru/Olu area, but now I'm almost sure it's used all over the Igbo-speaking area, I'm just puzzled.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 8:06pm On Nov 20, 2015
What's the Yoruba-Igala etymology that you're suspecting?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 9:06pm On Nov 20, 2015
So, the word for twins within the Yoruba-Igala cluster are: Ibeji, Ejie, Ejire (Yoruba dialects) and Ejima (Igala). It seems the operative word here is 'eji' which is the Yoruba-Igala word for 'two'. As far as I know, no such word for 'two' is attested in Igbo.

Ibeji is explained as a compounding of 'Ibi' and 'eji' - 'birth' and 'two', in Yoruba. Ejima is likewise explained as a compounding of 'eji' and 'ma' - 'two' and 'beget' in Igala. ['Oma' the Igala for 'child' is from this 'ma' root.]

The only Igbo explanation I've heard for 'ejima' was when someone said it was a contraction of 'ejirimara' which he explained as 'similar/look alike', but which sounds to me like it really means 'trait/characteristic'.

The Yoruba-Igala explanations look more convincing, but they also present a puzzle. Why would 'ejima' also be used in Igbo culture zones unreached by Igala influence? I think the phenomenon of twin births was common enough that these peoples should have their own native word(s) for it.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 8:30pm On Nov 21, 2015
Apologies for getting to this so late, Radoillo. I don't know the exact Ibibio or Efik word for twins, but the best approximation I know is 'amaniba', which best translates to having birthed two children, albeit this term doesn't specify whether or not the births happened at the same time. The only equivalent I know in Igbo is ejima. Interesting thoughts, by the way.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 11:06pm On Nov 22, 2015
I can't claim to have any sort of answer to the 'ejima' question, speculative or otherwise. I can say though that I have thought about the etymology of 'ejima' before, and I too came to conclude that it was weird term. The problem I have had with 'ejima' is two-fold.

1. The lack of a satisfactory explanation of its etymology.
2. The lack of lexical variation.

Over the years that I have observed/studied Igbo, I've come to see Igbo words as being placed in one of three categories: Proto, Pre-colonial and Modern. Not much differentiates these categories except that the degree of lexical variation for general words decreases exponentially as one goes from proto to modern. There is also an apparent correlation between this downward trend in variation and the upward trend in traceable etymology. Of course, this isn't set it stone. It's more like a practically applicable, general guideline, except in cases like 'ejima'. The lack of a satisfactory etymological explanation tempts us to want to put 'ejima' farther back in lexical history. Yet, the occurrence of the word is completely devoid of any lexical variation whatsoever (to the best of our collective knowledge), tempting us to want to say that the word may be recent, relative to the time period between proto and modern. It's a paradox.

I can't claim to have any sort of resolution for the paradox, but one thing I am [mostly] convinced of is that 'ejima' does not have its roots in the proto period (but, I'm not a linguist, so my conviction is amateurish at best). I believe that if the lexical history of 'ejima' extended that far back (proto period), then there is an increased likelihood that the word would have since been displaced in at least a few of the surviving lects. If not that, then the sound shifts between proto and modern would have at least caused significant variation in pronunciation between lects. We see no evidence of either. We can also be sure that the word is not modern, because if it were, it's etymology would most likely be immediately traceable. With that, I'm tempted to say that occurrence of 'ejima' likely goes back to the pre-colonial period. It would take more critical thinking before either of us could lands on any satisfactory, speculative conclusion.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 7:29am On Nov 23, 2015
I almost want to say it's Early Colonial. That the former term or terms for twins was/were considered derogatory, and that as the prejudice towards twins disappeared under Missionary and Colonial Government influences, a 'neutral' term gained ground and spread.

But I'm aware this explanation is not water-tight.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 12:44am On Nov 24, 2015
That was actually going to be my next comment. Your thoughts are a step in the right direction, I believe. At this point, an understanding of the social/cultural dynamic would be useful. After all, language is simply convention. It isn't governed by logic, but rather by social interaction and socio-cultural conventions. Sadly, I know nothing at all about any oral traditions, social customs or cultural activities revolving around twin births (whether fraternal or identical). This is odd. I will have to ask around about this.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by elmisti(m): 5:42pm On Nov 25, 2015
Holla awse, please need help with the literary meaning of the hausa word "Izkenshi"....bn using d. Word since God knows buh I dnt know the real true meaning.....glad if sm1 provide a reliable answer ASAP....
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by logicalhumour: 2:43pm On Nov 30, 2015
Once upon a time, Three men (Yoruba, Ibo and Hausa) lost their way, being stranded in a forest. The forest was inhabited by cannibals, these cannibals captured all of them and were ready to have a delicious flesh meal. Suddenly the chief of the cannibals came out and said he would pardon them (the hausa, Igbo and Yoruba man) if only they passed his test. "..pls what is the test" the men asked. The chief said, "All of you would go and find 10 fruits each of thesame kind and bring". Very quickly the men went for the search. The Yoruba man soon came back with 10 apples. The chief said "Very good, now swallow all of them without any expression on your face or else we'll eat you right away!". It's gonna be difficult, the Yoruba man thought.. After swallowing 1 without any facial emotion... He couldnt help but swallow the second with a Painful Facial Expression, so he failed and they Killed him. The Igbo man came with 10 Black Berries (No be Phone oo... na that black small fruit), and the Chief gave him the rules. Hummm.. This gonna be so easy, the Ibo man thought.. and he started to swallow.. 1.. 2... 3... ... ...8 ...and then he burst into laughter suddenly, he had failed and so they killed his too. The Ibo and Yoruba men met in Heaven. "How many did you swallow?" the Yoruba man asked the Ibo man. "Eight" said the Ibo man(still lauughing).. "why are you laughing...infact what type of fruit was it?" asked the Yoruba man. "Black Berries" said the Ibo man. "What...are they not small enough?...why did'nt you swallow them all?". The Ibo man answered..(still laughing).. "I couldnt control myself when i saw the Hausa man coming with 10 Water-Melons".
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by godcan01(m): 9:10am On Dec 01, 2015
Please does anyone know how I can get igbo dictionary? I need to learn igbo language.

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (52) (Reply)

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.