Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,760 members, 7,813,514 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:17 PM

Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? (23359 Views)

Photo Of The Day: The Groomsmen And The Bridesmaids (Extremely Funny) / Wedding Boasts Of 80 Bridesmaids / The Bridal Gallery:Gowns,Bridesmaid Dresses,Hair & Accessories (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by floxyrangy: 9:57pm On Apr 15, 2009
Hello Nairalanders, a friend of mine asked me to be a bridesmaid at her sister's wedding next month,and then asked me to go to the designer for measurements, then went on to tell me that everything would cost 15000naira, that is just for the dress o. Also, I would foot the bills for my hair and other assessories, and also I will be the one paying my wat from Lagos to Calabar for the wedding. I am hearing this for the first time o. I am asking you guys here, who pays for the dresses? the couple or the members of the bridal train.
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by mohawkchic(f): 2:25am On Apr 16, 2009
~Werent you Aware of the Responsibilities of Accepting A Role of becoming Part of a bridal Party ? cheesy : Someone asking you to be a Bridesmaid/Best man is Not about saying "oh Yes. . i'd love To"

~First off,you have to be sure its a commitment you'll be able to meet financially . . You have to give thought to what kind of Wedding its going to be,How elaborate  . .how many times you have to change . . Way Too much Protocol about the whole thing if you ask me!

~Have you'll noticed how insensitive Some Bridezilla's can be . .as in wanting the most expensive ridiculous looking outfit w/o giving thought to how much you'll be spending on Air Ticket~ Shoes ~ Accessories etc . . Grrr,Not to mention,You'll be stuck w/ the Dress Forever & prolly not have anywhere else to where it to! cheesy

~Some Brides are considerate . .will offer to Pay the Stylist for hair/makeup/Nails or something while others expect you to fork out your own money!! I dont think its Fair on Some People!!But then no-one's forcing people to unless they Impose . . Even then you's got the right to say "No"

~Next Time Some-one asks you to be a part of their wedding,Give it a good thought before saying "YES"! Most especially if it aint someone you wouldnt mind spending all that money on . . . Thats the reason why i only accepted from Close Friends/Family . .No Acquintaces!! My Bridesmaid/Maid O f Honour dayz Are waay behind me now . ."Am Too Old . .for that"/ "I've got other Commitments" is always a good excuse for me!

*Bridezilla -is a generic term used to describe a difficult, unpleasant, perfectionist bride who leaves aggravated family, friends and bridal vendors in her wake. A bridezilla is obsessed with her wedding as her perfect day and will disregard the feelings of the family, bridesmaids and even her groom in her quest for the perfect wedding
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by eiete(f): 2:32am On Apr 16, 2009
My sister! well in my parents days it is the couple getting married that foots the bill.

As a sign of curtsey the invited bridesmaid can then offer to pay some of the bill.

But now days with everybody wanting to belong, people

have forgotten how to cut their coat according to their size.
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by Nobody: 6:19pm On Apr 16, 2009
///
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by xyzb4b4(m): 6:39pm On Apr 16, 2009
This seems to be a ladies affair but just wanna say that i not only paid for my suit as a best man but also paid for my friend`s own. (i mean everything we wore, shoes tie shirt etc) saw it as my own way of support.
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by dae(f): 6:39pm On Apr 16, 2009
Yes oooo, me sef didnt know, when i was fresh in America, a friend of mine got married, i was so damn excited cos i was one of her bridesmaid. Anyways, i went to davids bridal to shop for the dress and was asked to shit out almost $200, minus shoes, minus pedicure, minus my hair chei!!! --- it was not even funny o! --- and it was too late to lie that i'd be outta town, lol

1 Like

Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by dae(f): 6:43pm On Apr 16, 2009
xyzb4b4:

This seems to be a ladies affair but just wanna say that i not only paid for my suit as a best man but also paid for my friend`s own. (i mean everything we wore, shoes tie shirt etc) saw it as my own way of support.
thats interesting and nice of you, how about your groomsmen? you bought theirs too??
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by Hotstepper(f): 6:43pm On Apr 16, 2009
oh, it depends on the couple or the lady in question although most tend ask her bridal train to pay for it. If the person comes from a well to do home or she and her hubby r comfortable 2, there are chances that they wont ask you to.

I know I was my friend's bride's maid last xmas and everything was paid 4 that is, our hair, clothes, shoes, etccccc

so if you know you cant afford it or doesnt look right to you, den just tell her

1 Like

Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by Pittbaby(f): 6:47pm On Apr 16, 2009
Depends on who your bridesmaids are, Three of my bridesmaids will be paying for there stuff , but I will have to pay for one because asking her to foot the bill will just be too much for her, she is the youngest , and also getting married in the same period.
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by dae(f): 6:50pm On Apr 16, 2009
Pittbaby:

Depends on who your bridesmaids are, Three of my bridesmaids will be paying for there stuff , but I will have to pay for one because asking her to foot the bill will just be too much for her, she is the youngest , and also getting married in the same period.
eyahhhh  grin you're a nice girl,  and congrats too. wink and hey, are we invited to chop rice, pomo and maltina? if u dont invite us, we will do "mo gbo, mo ya" lol, carry nylon bag and pack all your food too, LOLOL --- (cant believe some people will actually do that o, but some will) lol
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by Lady2(f): 6:57pm On Apr 16, 2009
The bridesmaid pays for it. I turned down my cousin cus I had no money
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by Secretz(f): 7:08pm On Apr 16, 2009
Yeah from all my experiences of being a bridesmaid, the bridesmaid pays for it.

Personally, if it were my wedding, I would fit somewhere in the budget for my girls to have their dresses and hair etc paid for, any extras they want, they can and will pay for themselves, (that's why you will not see 10 bridesmaids @ my wedding) lol grin
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by xyzb4b4(m): 7:23pm On Apr 16, 2009
@dae
No i didnt!! no be me dey wed now
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by ima1(f): 7:35pm On Apr 16, 2009
I paid for my bride's maid dresses and everything, even when one of them didn't show on the the day of the traditional wedding and was asking me for the headtie i bought for the traditional wedding, after it was over, it was annoying, but i still did not give it to her. after i paid for everything she didn't show and was requesting stuff like it was her right to have it. some of them can get greedy when they know u are paying for everything.
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by akinalabi(m): 7:53pm On Apr 16, 2009
The bridesmaid pays for it.
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by mohawkchic(f): 7:55pm On Apr 16, 2009
ima1:

I paid for my bride's maid dresses and everything, even when one of them didn't show on the the day of the traditional wedding and was asking me for the headtie i bought for the traditional wedding,after it was over, it was annoying, but i still did not give it to her. after i paid for everything she didn't show and was requesting stuff like it was her right to have it. some of them can get greedy when they know u are paying for everything.

~You Dont Say!! shocked Cheeky Bugger! Its rare enough having Bride's that foot the bill . . but taking advantage of that is something else!
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by dae(f): 8:24pm On Apr 16, 2009
xyzb4b4:

@dae
No i didnt!! no be me dey wed now

Ohh, my bad, "as a best man" i thought i read "for my best man" ---- no mind me o jare grin
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by kitigbe: 8:50pm On Apr 16, 2009
my sister,this one of the examples that this mumu economic crunch is causing cryand our governments are not helping matters at all.y wont this happen.sister no worry i go dey pray for u,so u go fit gather the money.but wait y the couple cant do a quiet wedding,untill the end of the economic crunch and they will do an elaborate one whent their is money to sew their brides maid suit or watever wink
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by snazzydawn(f): 8:58pm On Apr 16, 2009
In my opinion, the bride should foot the bill. Personally, I will be footing the bill for my 2 bridesmaids and maid of honour and believe me, you do not wanna know when I started savingfor my bridal party. I believe every bride should have a budget and where it is too much for you, you cut it off and do what you can do. What is the point craving for a society wedding when you cannot afford it? Everybody should "cut their coats according to their sizes."
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by dae(f): 9:06pm On Apr 16, 2009
snazzydawn:

In my opinion, the bride should foot the bill. Personally, I will be footing the bill for my 2 bridesmaids and maid of honour and believe me, you do not wanna know when I started savingfor my bridal party. I believe every bride should have a budget and where it is too much for you, you cut it off and do what you can do. What is the point craving for a society wedding when you cannot afford it? Everybody should "cut their coats according to their sizes."
Ohh good idea, so, like where's the best place to buy the clothes at? I am tired of davids bridal, you know any other places? just curious oh, i just wanna feed my eyes, Just in case, ya know grin
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by snazzydawn(f): 9:10pm On Apr 16, 2009
I am not buying the dresses, they are going to be made by "House of Feron", a designer based in Uyo and he is really good. It is less expensive when you make the dresses yourself than buying already made dresses.
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by dae(f): 9:18pm On Apr 16, 2009
ohhh okay,  i see. Das nice anyways. So, just a rough estimate and outta curiousity, how much does a wedding cost? u know, reception, hiring people, food, venue rental, etc
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by snazzydawn(f): 9:30pm On Apr 16, 2009
sweetheart, it depends on ur budget. Hit me up on YM.
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by dae(f): 10:00pm On Apr 16, 2009
oh okay, me dont know ya email,
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by touchmeder: 10:36pm On Apr 16, 2009
In nigeria you pay for your dress yourself. well the one i was in, the bride was kind enough to take care of our hair. we did our makeup ourselves and the sandals was a common colour so we all got ours.i declined to be in one that cost close to 20k for a dress i'd most likely wear once that was a no no.
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by ebelegirl(f): 10:46pm On Apr 16, 2009
When my cuz got married we (the bridesmaids) had to pay for our own dresses. Mind you, this was in Yankee so I'm not too sure about in Naija. IMO, I think the bridesmaids should pay for their own stuff (dress, hair, shoes etc). The bride already has a lot to pay for. If you are special enough to be in the bridal party then you should be able to foot the bill for your expenses, otherwise why accept to be a bridesmaid.
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by sleekp1: 11:10pm On Apr 16, 2009
dae:

ohhh okay,  i see. Das nice anyways. So, just a rough estimate and outta curiousity, how much does a wedding cost? u know, reception, hiring people, food, venue rental, etc

No one answered Dae's question, please can someone give me an average cost of a wedding in Naija. I don't want "it depends on your budget" kind of answer, lol.
For someone living abroad, how much should one take to naija for wedding? Advice and answers would be greatly appreciated.

@floxyrangy
Sorry I didn't mean to hijack your thread, forgive me.
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by Lady2(f): 11:53pm On Apr 16, 2009
Ohh good idea, so, like where's the best place to buy the clothes at? I am tired of davids bridal, you know any other places? just curious oh, i just wanna feed my eyes, Just in case, ya know

Girl u don't have to buy it, get it made. Even my wedding dress will be made. I don't plan on doing the english wedding dress. Afertall I am a Naijarian and not a brit. I and everyone in my bridal train are wearing native. Today we do ourstyles in english and it still looks traditional, so dats my plan. It won't cost me over $200 to get my dress made, not to talk of my bridesmaid, it would only cost about $50-$60 to get their dresses made, and I am not having the whole world in my wedding.

Seriously ppl can have elaborate weddings on a budget. You don't have to do like everybody else, do it your own way, be creative, and be happy, and debt free.
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by AloyEmeka9: 1:26am On Apr 17, 2009
The groom; that's how we do it.
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by TOYOSI20(f): 2:43am On Apr 17, 2009
Traditionally the bridesmaids pay for their dresses. . . .and they get to keep 'em as well so no harm done!! wink smiley

But most brides i know purchase the accessories for their bridal train as a token of appreciation. . . . .(the earrings, necklaces, Mani/pedi. . .etc)!! undecided
Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by Yets(f): 3:19am On Apr 17, 2009
the bridesmaids pay for it but i think they need to be very considerate and think about other people's pocket!!!! think people shud think about it well b4 acceptin offers cost most times u have to pay for everythin

hmmm, u guys dont even want to knw d gbese im in rite now,  its my cousin's wedding in july,  n im her chiefbridesmaid, personally i think she's a BRIDEZILLA cos her own is just too much,  she's been goin on about dis wedding thing n its startin to do my head in,  everythin she chose is soo expensive,  i dont even think she thot about her bridesmaid's pocket o! SHE JUST WANTS A PERFECT ONE,  n we all have to pay for it,  my dress alone as chiefbridesmaid is £150,  aso ebi is £50(which is quite cheap cos its engagement n wedding plus gele but its only 4yrds each sha) but its not bad,  dats already £200 gone, dis is minus shoes n bag o cos i wil wear different shoes for engagement,wedding n party,  she even wanted us to have matchin shoes but i think she had a rethink n just decided everyone shud wear d same colour,

i wil also pay tailor which wil cost nuffin less than £150 or £200 for both aso ebi,  i have to make my hair,  another £100 cos she wants us to have 14" weave on n im sure u all knw how much milky way or premium now is,  human hair is now soo bloody expensive,  she wants us to have d same hairstyle,  she also wants our make-up done professionally by a lady from MAC, she is chargin £25 per face, my nails wil cost me £15 cos i'll prolly just need a refill n my pedicure wil cos another £20,  d only thing i think we're gettin free is d pearls we're wearing for d wedding. Dats almost £500 gone o!  shocked shocked shocked is it my wedding 

imagine i told her i wanted to fix my eye lashes,  guess wot she said "no, u can't have dem done, only d bride can fix lashes, U DONT WANNA BE LOOKING PRETTIER THAN D BRIDE,  ALL EYES SHOULD BE ON D BRIDE",  can u imagine her sayin somethin like dat after all d money im goin to spend o!
she was also tellin me no one has a say cos its her wedding,  n everybody has to look d way she wants dem to look cos she was at her cousin's wedding in naija n she had to pay for everythin includin her make-up even tho she didnt like wot they painted on her face,

Being a bridesmaid costs a lot of money,  i shud have thot about it well b4 acceptin knowing d kind of person she is but i couldnt reject cos she is my cousin,

she was also tellin me as her CB im meant to be organisin her hen night so she wil like us all to sleepover at a nice luxurious hotel wit a spa n all so we can have beauty spa sessions wit strawberries n champagne n all,  pls tel me who wil donate mony for dat again when they knw they stil have to buy present n pay for their bridesmaid expenses

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? by EbeleAmobi(f): 3:44am On Apr 17, 2009
Its d bridesmaid of course unless she is still young.Shoutout 2 all chelsea fan

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Flavor, Awilo, Chidinma Storm Awka For Flirt Vodka Concert / 9 Things You Must Do To Get The Best Of Pictures At Your Wedding. My Best Tips! / Two Brothers To Be Buried The Same Day After Their Deaths In Imo State. Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.