Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:02 AM

First Elected Mayor Of Enugu, A Hausa Man - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / First Elected Mayor Of Enugu, A Hausa Man (3799 Views)

Hausa Man Contests For Councillor In Ebonyi Under PDP (Photos) / Profile of Aisha-jummai Alhassan Nigerias' First Elected Female Governor. / In 1952, A Fulani Man, Mallam Umaru Altine Was Elected Mayor In Enugu, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Elected Mayor Of Enugu, A Hausa Man by Nobody: 6:02am On Sep 24, 2015
THAT WAS NIGERIA — A PARABLE

By Jaafar Jaafar

Sometime back, I heard the story of Mallam Umaru Altine, a Hausa man who became the first Mayor of Enugu Municipal Council in 1956.

The story of Malam Umaru itself tells stories — the story of the country we had, the story peace, the story courage, name it.

Fascinated by Mallam Umaru's story, my good friend, Mohammed Shehu, sent me some details he got about him earlier today.

Mallam Umaru, who hailed from the old Sokoto province, was elected Mayor of Enugu two times! He was at one time Secretary-General of the Zikist Movement and was identified with the NCNC, a Twitter handle, @historicalnigeria, posted.

According to the handle, during election, NCNC decided to nominate Mallam Umaru at the Coal Camp, where he lived. He accepted the nomination, contested and won the election.

After completing his first term in office, NCNC asked him to step down for another candidate (perhaps a native), which he refused. When the party insisted on nominating another person, Mallam Umaru resigned from NCNC, ran as an independent candidate and beat the NCNC candidate.

But similar scenario also happened in Kano in the late 80s when a non-native was elected to represent Sabongari in the old Kano Municipal Council. Sikuru was a popular politician, and his election was greeted with wild celebrations.

I recall, with deep sense of pan-Nigerianism, the popular song we sang in praise of Sikiru around 1987/1988. "Sikiru ya ci zabe, shi ma dan Kano ne... (Sikiru won election, he is also an indigene of Kano..)," we had sung.

Even today, there are at least two "non-native" councillors in Fagge Local Government Council of Kano State. One is Igbo, another is Yoruba. Yes, Kano keeps the spirit alive! Even if the permutation was let be for peace to reign, it is a commendable political magnanimity.

I remember how a deadly riot once broke out in Jos when former governor of Plateau State, Jonah Jang, rigged out a "settler" in Wase Local Government.

But while Sikiru triumphed and conquered the "natives" in Kano, Alhaji Usman Mutari — an indigene of Kano from Janguza village — contested with native Lagosians and became the chairman of Isolo Local Government of Lagos State in 1987/1988 on independent ticket.

That was Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: First Elected Mayor Of Enugu, A Hausa Man by DaBullIT(m): 6:04am On Sep 24, 2015
That was Nigeria
Until ?
Re: First Elected Mayor Of Enugu, A Hausa Man by madridguy(m): 6:05am On Sep 24, 2015
Happy Eid-el Kabir.

1 Like

Re: First Elected Mayor Of Enugu, A Hausa Man by Nobody: 6:09am On Sep 24, 2015
Awolowo introduced tribalism and ethnicism into Nigeria politics - David Mark (fmr Senate President)

3 Likes

Re: First Elected Mayor Of Enugu, A Hausa Man by Nobody: 6:12am On Sep 24, 2015
BuddahMonk:
Awolowo introduced tribalism and ethnicism into Nigeria politics - David Mark (fmr Senate President)
after I read "there was a country" I had new found hate for that man. Akintola first said "igbos control everything" wch first separated us as nigerians.
Re: First Elected Mayor Of Enugu, A Hausa Man by Chanchit: 6:24am On Sep 24, 2015
All the hopes of this thread making FP has just been dashed by the comments on it. And such things can't happen again in the east,let's just face reality.

1 Like

Re: First Elected Mayor Of Enugu, A Hausa Man by Imortal001: 6:31am On Sep 24, 2015
Good old days!
Re: First Elected Mayor Of Enugu, A Hausa Man by Eeser: 6:34am On Sep 24, 2015
Ok
Re: First Elected Mayor Of Enugu, A Hausa Man by permsec: 6:37am On Sep 24, 2015
First Mayor or First Mai Suya.

1 Like

Re: First Elected Mayor Of Enugu, A Hausa Man by Nobody: 6:48am On Sep 24, 2015
Wait ooo. He ran twice and won twice in the capital city of the eastern region? No cross-carpeting?

No wonder easterners were called the most progressive region in Nigeria then with the fastest growing economy.

3 Likes

Re: First Elected Mayor Of Enugu, A Hausa Man by Nobody: 7:22am On Sep 24, 2015
Chanchit:
All the hopes of this thread making FP has just been dashed by the comments on it. And such things can't happen again in the east,let's just face reality.
what in the comments showed otherwise. Besides I wasn't gunning FP with this..so, no harm no foul
Re: First Elected Mayor Of Enugu, A Hausa Man by Nobody: 7:46am On Sep 24, 2015
Lying liars
Re: First Elected Mayor Of Enugu, A Hausa Man by Nobody: 7:50am On Sep 24, 2015
That's then and not Now....
Re: First Elected Mayor Of Enugu, A Hausa Man by Nobody: 7:51am On Sep 24, 2015
liberty300:
after I read "there was a country" I had new found hate for that man. Akintola first said "igbos control everything" wch first separated us as nigerians.

...and that hate continues to define you and your people. How about we put that hate aside and work together to build a progressive nation...you know, one we can all be proud of?

1 Like

Re: First Elected Mayor Of Enugu, A Hausa Man by jenniferurenna: 1:33pm On Jan 30, 2020
Long live this man! You see,you can't make any headway in bringing down the light. Since Nigeria has been subduing the Igbos what have we achieved? If you watch i didn't say look,watch you will see that Igbos are different in nature and appearance when you see an igbo person you Cannot mists him/her to be Hausa or Yoruba but this is not same with other tribes.God gave them natural wisdom for leadership and expansion. Today an adage is universal "any where you go and don't find igbos run for your dear life cos that place it's not habitable " the most travelled In the whole universe are igbos, entrepreneurial minded and enthusiastic set of people though we have our flaws

1 Like

Re: First Elected Mayor Of Enugu, A Hausa Man by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jan 30, 2020
jenniferurenna:
Long live this man! You see,you can't make any headway in bringing down the light. Since Nigeria has been subduing the Igbos what have we achieved? If you watch i didn't say look,watch you will see that Igbos are different in nature and appearance when you see an igbo person you Cannot mists him/her to be Hausa or Yoruba but this is not same with other tribes.God gave them natural wisdom for leadership and expansion. Today an adage is universal "any where you go and don't find igbos run for your dear life cos that place it's not habitable " the most travelled In the whole universe are igbos, entrepreneurial minded and enthusiastic set of people though we have our flaws
yea your flaws which is this chest beating and arrogance.

I have no issues with igbos, but the notion that everyone in the world is against you is wrong.

If you do something, be grateful to God cos their is nothing that u think has happened in your niche that others havent done b4.
Re: First Elected Mayor Of Enugu, A Hausa Man by mrvitalis(m): 3:00pm On Jan 30, 2020
Wait ooo. He ran twice and won twice in the capital city of the eastern region? No cross-carpeting?

No wonder easterners were called the most progressive region in Nigeria then with the fastest growing economy.
Eyo ita from akwa ibom was the leader in the east before zik came back n he was asked to step aside ....that's how Igbo's are
Re: First Elected Mayor Of Enugu, A Hausa Man by mrvitalis(m): 3:01pm On Jan 30, 2020

...and that hate continues to define you and your people. How about we put that hate aside and work together to build a progressive nation...you know, one we can all be proud of?
When your people can obey simple zoning agreement ....there can't be peace without equity and justice
Re: First Elected Mayor Of Enugu, A Hausa Man by BafanaBafana: 3:10pm On Jan 30, 2020
they actually controlled almost everything but were not satisfied. they wanted the position of prime minister and also wanted to rule the north. hence, the first military coup.

(1) (Reply)

All Politicians Have Forgotten This "MUST SEE PHOTO" / LIST: States With The Highest Internally Generated Revenue For 2015 / 6 REASONS WHY BUHARI WOULD WIN 2019 ELECTIONS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.