Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,803 members, 7,827,951 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:00 PM

Switzerland Ready To Return $130m Loot - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Switzerland Ready To Return $130m Loot (1475 Views)

Plunderers Will Vomit Loot Says Buhari In February 1984(pic) / Abacha Loot Is Too Huge For Us To Handle – World Bank / Switzerland, Buhari And Abacha Loot - Thisday Newspaper Article (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Switzerland Ready To Return $130m Loot by OneNaija(m): 6:34am On Apr 16, 2009
The Government of Switzerland yesterday said it would be willing to release the $150 million Halliburton bribe money trapped in Swiss bank accounts if Nigeria formally requests for assistance.
Switzerland's Foreign Minister, Michele Telary-rey, who disclosed this in Abuja while meeting with Nigeria's Foreign Affairs Minister, Ojo Maduekwe, said her country regards Nigeria as an economically and politically strategic country in Africa and would do everything to ensure a good relationship.
She said Switzerland was committed to the release of the trapped funds to help in the fight against corruption in Nigeria.
Nigeria's Ambassador to Switzerland, Dr. Martin Egomoivi, who was part of the delegation, also expressed optimism that the negotiation with the Swiss Government would reap positive result as the European country was committed to repatriating the funds.
The Nigerian envoy said Switzerland has 60 companies operating in Nigeria with about $200 million investment.
Responding, Maduekwe expressed the appreciation of the Nigerian government for the understanding in the Halliburton affair and asked for assistance and professional expertise in agriculture and gas flaring.
The Federal Government had two weeks ago disclosed that investigators had traced $150 million out of the $180 million Halliburton bribe money to Zurich, Switzerland – saying it was yet to ascertain the name of the account holder.
The Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Chief Mike Aondoakaa, who described the discovery as “shocking”, said the money had been trapped in Zurich because it had been difficult to establish the operator of the account but warned that no government official found culpable would be speared.
He however did not state categorically who found it difficult to ascertain the account’s owner – whether the Nigerian government or officials of the unnamed bank.
About $180 million was said to have been paid out to some Nigeria top government officials as bribe through a subsidiary of Halliburton, Kellogg, Brown & Root (KBR), to facilitate the award of $6 billion LNG contracts.
“We have discovered that $150 million of the bribe money is in Zurich. That is the first shocking discovery. The entire money is $180 million. $150 million is already trapped in Zurich,” he said.
Re: Switzerland Ready To Return $130m Loot by MrCrackles(m): 9:26am On Apr 16, 2009
Topic

Till they return it!
Re: Switzerland Ready To Return $130m Loot by Nobody: 9:39am On Apr 16, 2009
MrCrackles:

Topic

Till they return it!

They aint returning notin' if the nigerian government decides to sweep this crime under the carpet as usual.
Re: Switzerland Ready To Return $130m Loot by MrCrackles(m): 9:40am On Apr 16, 2009
nuzo:

They aint returning notin' if the nigerian government decides to sweep this crime under the carpet as usual.

That is what i am trying to say, till they return the loot, i wont comment further!
Re: Switzerland Ready To Return $130m Loot by Nobody: 9:42am On Apr 16, 2009
MrCrackles:

That is what i am trying to say, till they return the loot, i wont comment further!

You made it sound as if the Swiss government are not willing to keep to their words.
Re: Switzerland Ready To Return $130m Loot by jaybee3(m): 9:47am On Apr 16, 2009
What happened to the other returned loots?
Re: Switzerland Ready To Return $130m Loot by MrCrackles(m): 9:49am On Apr 16, 2009
jay bee:

What happened to the other returned loots?

Probably ended up in some other corruption ridden individuals accounts spread all over the Sicily, Cayman Island, Vietnam, Lesotho and Venezuela! tongue
Re: Switzerland Ready To Return $130m Loot by proudly9ja(m): 10:45am On Apr 16, 2009
I don't know why the report above missed it, but the Swiss envoy also said that the Swiss banks returned $700m Abacha loot. Someone should ask Yaradua, where is the money!!!

The Swiss Government has said it is prepared to assist Nigeria to unravel the mystery surrounding the accounts holding the $150m Halliburton bribes reportedly traced to a bank in Zurich, Switzerland.

The country’s Federal Counsellor and Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mrs. Micheline Clamy-Rey, said this at a bilateral meeting with Nigeria’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Chief Ojo Maduekwe, in Abuja on Wednesday.

She said the money had been “blocked” in Zurich following extant banking regulations.

Clamy-Rey said this at the Foreign Affairs Ministry in Abuja in a response to our correspondent’s question on the $150m Halliburton bribe money reportedly traced to a Swiss bank.

According to her, Nigeria only needs to take advantage of the opportunity of the Mutual Legal Assistance existing between both countries to request for the reparation of the funds.

Besides, she also disclosed that her country had repatriated $7m, being the balance of the Abacha loot stashed away in Swiss banks after returning a total of $700m.

She said, “Halliburton money of about $150m is blocked in Zurich, but the Mutual Legal Assistance existing between the two countries allows Nigeria to request, and we are ready to assist Nigeria.”

On the Abacha loot, Clamy-Rey said over $700m had already been transferred to the Nigerian government under the Mutual Legal Assistance.

According to her, Switzerland and Nigeria will continue to collaborate under the bilateral agreement even beyond issues of repatriation of stolen funds.

She noted that monies stolen from Nigeria were not only taken to Switzerland, but to other countries, yet the Swiss Government had demonstrated more commitment to ensuring that all the monies were returned.

Maduekwe said the Swiss Government had demonstrated leadership in ensuring that Nigeria‘s war against corruption was sustained.

He said, ”We believe that our relations will go beyond the Abacha loot; because you have shown leadership and given an example on how to assist in the fight against corruption.

“This administration is committed to stamping out corruption, but the Swiss Government provided a benchmark by ensuring that the stolen monies were returned.”

Maduekwe also drew the attention of Clamy-Rey to the issue of migration, noting that Nigeria would be interested in understand Swiss policies on migration.

But Madueke refused to respond to our correspondent’s enquiries on what would be the Federal Government’s specific steps on the offer of help by the Swiss government.

http://punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200904162203160
Re: Switzerland Ready To Return $130m Loot by frankogbu(m): 11:42am On Apr 16, 2009
Hmmmm. What do I say? A country where RECOVERED LOOT IS LOOTED.

Runs for cover. grin grin grin
Re: Switzerland Ready To Return $130m Loot by PurestBoy(m): 12:22pm On Apr 16, 2009
What tangible thing have they done with the recovered money in the past?
Re: Switzerland Ready To Return $130m Loot by ikeyman00(m): 12:39pm On Apr 16, 2009
@ POSTT

I THINK I SMELL SOME FISHY STUFF SOMEWHERE

the same ibori they wana let-off the hook by all mean!! the AG that refuses to hand over evidance to britsh police in london that are so desperate to nail el Rufia
the same efcc obj boasted he was investigated by

the same looted money recovered from former police chief gone missing; they said; where?

hmmmmm
Re: Switzerland Ready To Return $130m Loot by jamace(m): 1:45pm On Apr 16, 2009
Well, this indeed is the dark age for Nigeria. Corruption and maladministration is the order of the day. I'm sad, really sad about the mess in Nigeria. I will just plead that our leaders get the money down to Nigeria first. Then we can know who to point a finger at when the money grows wings again. uhmm.
Re: Switzerland Ready To Return $130m Loot by OLADO(m): 1:51pm On Apr 16, 2009
Lets hope that after getting the money, it wont end in another FOREIGN BANK!!!
Re: Switzerland Ready To Return $130m Loot by nonoy: 3:35pm On Apr 16, 2009
I'm tired of all d Media circus!!!. Even if d mony is recoverd, am sure we all knw it'l disappear again. Hiss
Re: Switzerland Ready To Return $130m Loot by aieromon(m): 7:53pm On Apr 16, 2009
Omg!!!i'm really not interested in getting that money back.Recovered loot is ploughed back into the system to be relooted.tell the AG to get me the fiend that deposited such a large amount of money.Aren't we tired of this goddamn Swiss system that allows access to rogues to hide stolen monies.
**spits on the ground**
Re: Switzerland Ready To Return $130m Loot by Honda29: 11:54pm On Apr 16, 2009
Let the Swiss Government keep the money in trust for Nigeria. They must not release the money to the aninis (notorious criminals) in Abuja claiming to be our leaders.
Re: Switzerland Ready To Return $130m Loot by hackney(m): 1:27pm On Apr 17, 2009
The discussion to return loot on this thread is so fresh it's un-nigerian
(like we dont know what will happen to it if its returned)
God go help us sha
Re: Switzerland Ready To Return $130m Loot by Horus(m): 2:11pm On Apr 17, 2009
Honda29:

Let the Swiss Government keep the money in trust for Nigeria. They must not release the money to the aninis (notorious criminals) in Abuja claiming to be our leaders.

The Swiss Government should make all informations avalaible for everybody to see where the money is,when the money is going and to who the money is going. We should ask for proofs and papers avalaible on the internet for everyone to see.
Re: Switzerland Ready To Return $130m Loot by chidichris(m): 3:53pm On Apr 17, 2009
we do not need this money. i have said it before and i want to say it again. let obj and ribadu tell us what happened to the returned abacha loots other switz banks shld stop returning money to us.
i feel bored reading all these nonsense. we continue recieving funds that never have a positive effects on the lives of common nigerians.
nothing has chnaged since we started retrieving funds. is it not better we had no idea of all these issues.

(1) (Reply)

Us Court Convicts Igbo Couple Of forced Servitude / Military Decree Better Than Constitution In Nigeria / How Has Globalization Benefited Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.