Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,250 members, 7,818,862 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:52 AM

Threatening Children With Hell.. - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Threatening Children With Hell.. (7609 Views)

I Hate Being Threatened With Hell / Let's Stop Joking With Hell Fire!!! - By Sunday Akanni Moshood / Why Threatening Children With Hell Fire Is Wrong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Threatening Children With Hell.. by hahn(m): 9:35am On Sep 29, 2015
RobinHez:

Right now...making money is all that is in my head!

Bro, both of us are on the same page. Johnydon22 and teempakguy don chop belleful. Ma fi ara we won o.

So, what are you into as regards money making?
Re: Threatening Children With Hell.. by RobinHez(m): 9:44am On Sep 29, 2015
hahn:

Bro, both of us are on the same page. Johnydon22 and teempakguy don chop belleful. Ma fi ara we won o.

sales agent with Jumia
you¿
Re: Threatening Children With Hell.. by hahn(m): 9:49am On Sep 29, 2015
RobinHez:

sales agent with Jumia
you¿

I run my own websites @ www.nimini.com.ng and www.healthyfitnessreport.com as well as other online businesses, affiliate programs, network marketing etc.

You can check http://nimini.com.ng/index.php/2015/09/27/earn-money-online/ for some money making programs you might be interested in.

How's the jumia thing going? I was supposed to be their agent some years back when they first started but they were asking for stuff like cv etc and I really didn't understand why I should go through that process when I am going to be earning commissions.

1 Like

Re: Threatening Children With Hell.. by RobinHez(m): 9:56am On Sep 29, 2015
hahn:

I run my own websites @ www.nimini.com.ng and www.healthyfitnessreport.com as well as other online businesses, affiliate programs, network marketing etc.

You can check http://nimini.com.ng/index.php/2015/09/27/earn-money-online/ for some money making programs you might be interested in.

How's the jumia thing going? I was supposed to be their agent some years back when they first started but they were asking for stuff like cv etc and I really didn't understand why I should go through that process when I am going to be earning commissions.
lol...its much easier now¡

i also run a website and i'm planing to use part of the comissions i rceive to buy a domain to switch to wordpress
Re: Threatening Children With Hell.. by hahn(m): 9:59am On Sep 29, 2015
RobinHez:

lol...its much easier now¡

i also run a website and i'm planing to use part of the comissions i rceive to buy a domain to switch to wordpress

Fill me in on the process abeg.

What's the name of your website?

Getting a domain name is quite cheap and you can get a nice 1years domain and hosting plan for about N3,000. Are you familiar with building with wp?
Re: Threatening Children With Hell.. by Nobody: 10:02am On Sep 29, 2015
hahn:

hahahahahaha grin grin

haven't you noticed that i have also decreased my activities in the science section? I am also looking for money nah. cheesy

also, i've been stuck on a mathematical problem. Which i want to create a thread from.

Don't mind robinhez jare. I guess he hasn't heard of multitasking.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Threatening Children With Hell.. by RobinHez(m): 10:02am On Sep 29, 2015
hahn:

Fill me in on the process abeg.

What's the name of your website?

Getting a domain name is quite cheap and you can get a nice 1years domain and hosting plan for about N3,000. Are you familiar with building with wp?
just google Jumia Jforce...you'd see the page

er...google edscience blog too.... lipsrsealed

yeah, i have a litle experience in WP
Re: Threatening Children With Hell.. by RobinHez(m): 10:04am On Sep 29, 2015
Teempakguy:
hahahahahaha grin grin

haven't you noticed that i have also decreased my activities in the science section? I am also looking for money nah. cheesy

also, i've been stuck on a mathematical problem. Which i want to create a thread from.

brother, this job requires full commitment o¡ grin
Re: Threatening Children With Hell.. by Nobody: 10:20am On Sep 29, 2015
RobinHez:

brother, this job requires full commitment o¡ grin
oh puhlease. Not if you are the almighty teempakguy.

Most of the time, when i'm cracking jokes here, i am als on quora, youtube, cooking a meal, washing plates, watching tv, solving a math problem, whatsapping, programming . . . Doing thought experiments . . . All simultaneously. And i never loose track. Haven't you ever wondered why my battery always dies early?
Re: Threatening Children With Hell.. by RobinHez(m): 10:26am On Sep 29, 2015
there he goes again! undecided

Teempakguy:
oh puhlease. Not if you are the almighty teempakguy.

Most of the time, when i'm cracking jokes here, i am als on quora, youtube, cooking a meal, washing plates, watching tv, solving a math problem, whatsapping, programming . . . Doing thought experiments . . . All simultaneously. And i never loose track. Haven't you ever wondered why my battery always dies early?
Re: Threatening Children With Hell.. by hahn(m): 10:34am On Sep 29, 2015
Teempakguy:
hahahahahaha grin grin

tongue
Re: Threatening Children With Hell.. by hahn(m): 10:35am On Sep 29, 2015
RobinHez:

just google Jumia Jforce...you'd see the page

er...google edscience blog too.... lipsrsealed

yeah, i have a litle experience in WP

What's the link to your blog?
Re: Threatening Children With Hell.. by RobinHez(m): 10:40am On Sep 29, 2015
hahn:

What's the link to your blog?
just google edscience blog u'd see it...
Re: Threatening Children With Hell.. by Nobody: 11:02am On Sep 29, 2015
RobinHez:
there he goes again! undecided

. . . FACEPALM.
Re: Threatening Children With Hell.. by K9blunt(f): 2:12pm On Sep 29, 2015
johnydon22:
[b]Was looking outside just seating and looking at the activities outside. My eyes were drawn to a dog who was struggling to scratch the back of it's head but couldn't reach it, it even tried scratching the itch on the floor but from the way it continued struggling i was sure that didn't work either.

Another dog that came along and within seconds it had used its teeth to scratch exactly the point of the itch on the other dog.

I was touched by the act of kindness even a dog that we consider a lower animal in intellect could exhibit and what made me smile was: These dogs know nothing about a threat of punishment if they fail to be good but they help each other because they care about each others well being.

And yet again; Barely 2 days ago i was seating just outside my yard in the evening and saw a little boy of maybe 5 years running.
Turns out he didn't want to share his biscuit with another, his mother came out fuming with anger and yelled at him.

"If you don't share your biscuits then you are a son of satan and you will go to hell where satan burns people forever"

I was shocked at this, i was infuriated but i couldn't say anything. The little man didn't share the biscuit but anyone who looked could see the fear and guilt in his eyes, the fear that he was going to burn and the guilt that he was now the son of a satan.

Yes the mother thought she was impacting a sense of morality on the young one which brings me to my question.

Is it right to threaten Children with the image of hell?

I remember telling a pastor who wanted to preach to me "You cannot tell me about morality until you and i have agreed on what we see to be moral. Because to me frightening children with burning in order to instill morality is abuse, disturbing and wicked"

The idea of a hell is one that can be found in the world major religions even in far ancient religions like Egyptian religion.
Where such concepts are used to ensure submission to the moral dictates of the religion.

I was raised in a Christian home, i remember at a very young age right from the time i learnt how to talk we were moulded in the church, we were taught that bad people will burn forever and good ones will go to heaven.

When i was still in primary 5 i got to kiss a girl for the first time, Childhood love and stuff i was 9.

I know the fear and guilt that haunted me because of that one act, not just for few days but this guilt lingered on in my mind for years.

The guilt that i have broken the commandment of God, the fear that i have increased my chances of going to hell, this mental image tortured my young mind, haunted me for almost more than 2years.

Could you imagine a little boy living with such trauma instilled by psychological fear of an abstract concept, my parents never noticed i was passing through this because it ate me deep inside my mind and i know they thought they were doing good by trying to impact morality into my young mind with the use of a hell or heaven. They too are also victims of this indoctrination so i wouldn't blame them.

But our young ones are coming up and i keep asking is it ok to frighten them into submitting to our idea of morality by using the threat of a hell and the promise of a heaven?

I remember telling Urheme, " I was a victim of this cruel threat if i subject my kids to the same psychological abuse will simply be an act of idiocy on my part"

Teach the young ones the very essence of goodness which stems from being good because they want to be good.

Because it is good to be good, show them goodness and kindness.

Teach the young ones to be nice to people because it is good to be nice to others.

Hypatia of Alexandria said "To teach superstition as truth is horrifying, the mind of a child accepts them and only through great pain or perhaps tragedy will they be freed of it.

To my young ones i am strong in my conviction that i will never teach them to fear anything, they will never grow up with fear of anything.

Not the fear of me, not the fear of any deity or the fear of a mythical burning furnace.

I can only teach them to always think but will never force or impose on them
what i want them to think, they are the ones to decide and make their
choices when they are old enough.

I intend to raise them to "Be Good for goodness sake" i intend to teach
them to place humans first before ideas.

To look on the scientific method and consistent logic in other to make sense of the world.

I intend to show them that only their actions towards others is what makes
them either good or bad and nothing else.

I intend to show them that their nature as humans is not fallen, broken or sinful but very beautiful, intelligent and strong.

And i will never teach them myths as truth or fables as truths But rather i
will teach them myth as myth and fables as fables and reality as reality.

The young minds know nothing like hatred, intolerance, racism, sexism,
indoctrination, bigotry, homophobia, prejudice, misogyny.

They do not yet understand things like Love, tolerance, joy, compassion,
acceptance, human decency, empathy, integrity, beauty and truth.

nor disturbing emotions like fear, greed and jealousy.

For the first and most important formative years of their lives they will
only know what you teach them.

So choose well.

I know some might be asking will your children be atheists too?

The answer is "NO" I am an agnostic atheist and i will neither raise my kids as ATHEISTS or theists because that will also be indoctrination of the young minds into my own ideology.

No i will let their mind be free and for them to decide what they believe or what they don't when they are grown enough to do that. .

I cannot decide for my Children, i will simply show them the world as it is and their decisions should run their lives not mine....
[/b]

am sorry for quoting this lengthy post, but I want to get your attention.
though am not a fan of religion, but I think most humans need religion to keep them in place.
there are many lost people in this world, their thinking is " how am I suppose to live without God?", "am not always like this, the devil got into me and I did what I did", "am too scared, there must be a place for me on the afterlife, I can't just die like that". etc.
it takes a lot of guts and one has to fight their inner demons to be free from this fictional belief of a God! if not they become more lost and resort to anarchical behaviors that will inconvenience the lives of people like you and me.

in this life, there must be a balance
good - evil
life - death
love - hate
happiness - sadness
etc.
imagine if everyone started thinking like you and/or me, as humans we will always look for problems to create and solutions to solve them. so its necessary to leave these so-called religious people for us to learn from them to better ourselves and for amusement.........lol.

1 Like

Re: Threatening Children With Hell.. by dalaman: 2:38pm On Sep 29, 2015
K9blunt:

though am not a fan of religion, but I think most humans need religion to keep them in place.
there are many lost people in this world, their thinking is " how am I suppose to live without God?", "am not always like this, the devil got into me and I did what I did", "am too scared, there must be a place for me on the afterlife, I can't just die like that". etc.
it takes a lot of guts and one has to fight their inner demons to be free from this fictional belief of a God! if not they become more lost and resort to anarchical behaviors that will inconvenience the lives of people like you and me.

good - evil
life - death
love - hate
happiness - sadness
etc.
imagine if everyone started thinking like you and/or me, as humans we will always look for problems to create and solutions to solve them. so its necessary to leave these so-called religious people for us to learn from them to better ourselves and for amusement.........lol.

I used to think like that but not any more, I live in Germany. The people here do not believe in God but they are doing morally better than we Nigerians that mostly believe in God. People can and have been thought to be morally upright and find meaning in life without any need for God.

1 Like

Re: Threatening Children With Hell.. by K9blunt(f): 2:49pm On Sep 29, 2015
dalaman:

I used to think like that but not any more, I live in Germany. The people here do not believe in God but they are doing morally better than we Nigerians that mostly believe in God. People can and have been thought to be morally upright and find meaning in life without any need for God.

hmn ok if you say so, but I heard the president (or so) of Germany is a deeper life lady, is it true?
Re: Threatening Children With Hell.. by johnydon22(m): 3:02pm On Sep 29, 2015
K9blunt:

[b]As you may have noticed this thread was not an attack on any religion but was a call to save the Children from the psychologically induced fear of a burning place of punishment.

Our children do not deserve such threats neither should we subject them to such abuse because it is wrong.

@Bolded, i totally agree with this of which i addressed in one of my threads https://www.nairaland.com/2528015/unbeliever-why-bother-good

It is true that many people lack the independent will and self reliance it takes to shape their actions and so tends to rely on abstract concepts to derive foundation, this is a fact and i don't have a problem with that.

But first of all we should not forget or overlook how these set of people came to fully dependent on vague concepts for moral foundation, it is as a result of Child indoctrination.

In reply to this i would quote my reply to Dalaman " think this is so because humans have always been taught there is need for a catch to coerce the mind to conformity, this shouldn't be so."

So that people think they need religion to fall in place is because they have been indoctrinated to think so, they have been indoctrinated to see a punishment and reward scheme as the basis of human morality.

I am only interested in saving our Children from this abusive use of fear or perhaps get any sound mind out there to give this a thought. .
[/b]

Exactly and this also was because they have been taught, coerced and indoctrinated with these ideas at a very young age.

Teaching a young mind is like bringing a metal to a magnet, they are not able to sieve between what they find to be plausible or not, a child's mind accept this ideas and this idea sticks with him/her all his life unless on few occasions the painful emergence of independent reason takes over..

If children were not impacted, threatened and coerced into these ideas at a very young age am sure you agree with me they won't have the mindset as above..

[b]This correct, the emergence of reason in the early stage is a lonely and scary one and most time painful and confusing.

My posts are always an appeal to the mind to weigh and scrutinize that which it has held onto as a child..

If children were never taught that the basis of human morality should be heaven or hell they wouldn't hold that mindset as an adult.

I totally lack belief in these barbaric and selfish concept as heaven or hell but i am not a serial killer neither do i go about raping girls affirming that morality is a human trait.

Belief in a God has not always worked to the betterment of the society, take Nigeria for example where almost 98% of her citizens are religious, if religions is synonymous to morality Nigeria would have been a moral utopia but the reverse is the case.

The moral decay in the society, the barbaric actions of a few in the name of God (like boko haram, fraudulent pastors) affirms belief in a God or the lay of punishment and reward scheme do not necessarily ensure morality.

I am only of the opinion that the young ones should be taught goodness as a human obligation towards others and not a means to an end, a ploy to ensure reward or to escape punishment, that is selfishness

And more over threatening them wit these ideas of a burning fire is an abusive way of ensuring conformity because it throws them into a psychological fear of what is not there. . I have been a victim of this..
[/b]

good - evil
life - death
love - hate
happiness - sadness
etc.
This is correct and this is life.
Joys and pains
tears and smiles
Happiness and sadness
up and down
left and right
Life and death

These concepts are what keeps everything in balance, this is what life is about.
they all negate each other and so are dependent on each other for meaning...

Though most people just want the better half ..lol.. wink

My discussions on religions have always been a means to teach and learn, to pave ways of new ideas into young minds.

To instill independent reason and basis of self will into vibrant minds and most of all lessen the disturbing effects such beliefs might have on our society.

Most of all the subjection of innocent children to psychological fear and threat. .I find this disturbing and would speak against it when ever i can.

Nobody can ever think like others, diversity of human thinking have been a thing of wonder to human learning.

I in no way advising any to abandon theism, No. Rather i am trying to get them to weight disturbing ideas that are unhealthy to the mind and maybe probably discard these ideas...
Re: Threatening Children With Hell.. by Krystalzkris(f): 3:11pm On Sep 29, 2015
hahn:

I read this comment and it suddenly hit me. God cheated and fornicated with Mary! undecided
lol.. and he still covered her so she would not be prosecuted for getting pregnant out of wedlock.. morally upright god indeed
Re: Threatening Children With Hell.. by johnydon22(m): 1:58am On Dec 02, 2015
Krystalzkris:
lol.. and he still covered her so she would not be prosecuted for getting pregnant out of wedlock.. morally upright god indeed

I think covering her was actually a good thing because the laws of moses which the jews adhered to stipulates death by stoning.

So covering her up was actually good if you ask me because she would have been stoned to death.

I can't really fathom how these in these ancient times regard murdering someone in a way as cruel as stoning to be a more moral deed than an adult having sex and getting pregnant out of wedlock.

I don't understand how killing is a better and desired moral action than Sex.

Muslims still practice this barbarism in today's world unfortunately
Re: Threatening Children With Hell.. by johnydon22(m): 12:25pm On Mar 24, 2016
Cc. lalasticlala mynd44
Re: Threatening Children With Hell.. by promisechuks: 9:22pm On Mar 24, 2016
johnydon22:
Cc. lalasticlala mynd44
Man, I feel your pain anyway. They threatened you with hell.

Unfortunately you met DEVILISH and HERETIC gospel preachers.

They preach wrath, but still they themselves, through their right living cannot escape the wrath.

I was also told that bad people will go to hell but good people will go to heaven. At a point I wanted to doubt God, and I had an encounter that showed me the amazing mind of God for me. Sincerely speaking.

I never know that I can be Justified before God without even keeping the law.

The truth: HEAVEN IS NOT FOR GOOD PEOPLE rather for people who BELIEVE(faith alone) that their sins have been forgiven through christ.

Any gospel that tells you "faith+right living=eternal life" is OF THE DEVIL HIMSELF.

Eternal life=faith is christ's finished work ALONE - with NO works.

I will help you with some 101 scriptural evidence

1. Eph. 2:8-9 - "For BY GRACE are ye
SAVED THROUGH FAITH; and that NOT
OF
YOURSELVES: it is the GIFT of God: NOT
OF WORKS, lest any man should boast."

2. Rom. 4:6-7 - God imputes
"Righteousness without works."

3. Rom. 10:3 - It's a grave mistake for
anyone to try to, "Establish their own
righteousness."

4. Rom. 5:17 - Heaven deserving
righteousness is a "GIFT," not something you
earn.

5. Rom. 5:18 - Justification to God is a
"FREE GIFT," not something you work
toward.

6. Phil. 3:9 - Paul, as ‘good’ as he was, still
wouldn't trust his "Own righteousness" to
save him.

7. Rom. 3:22 - God's righteousness is
credited to "ALL THEM THAT BELIEVE," not
all that work.

8. Rom. 8:3-4 - The flesh is too "Weak" to
save itself. We need a Saviour. We need
Christ.

9. Rom. 4:3 - Abraham's faith, not works,
"Was counted unto him for
righteousness."

10. Rom. 4:4-5 - Works are "Not reckoned
of grace, but of debt." Faith is counted as
righteousness.

11. Gal. 3:10 - To earn Heaven you'd have to "Continueth," perfectly, in the whole law and if you can't keep the whole of it(10 commandments and 600+laws) you are under curse. Only faith is needed.

12. Titus 3:5 - "NOT BY WORKS OF
RIGHTEOUSNESS which we have done,
but according to
his mercy he saved us, by the washing
of regeneration, and renewing of the
Holy Ghost."

13. John 5:24 - In Christ we've "PASSED
from death unto life." We don't have to
"wait" to find out.

14. Rom. 9:31-32 - Israel, "Sought it not
by faith, but as it were by the works of
the law."

15. Acts 4:12 - No other name but Christ can
save us-- not the name of works, nor our own
name.

16. John 1:12-13 - Only God's power,
through His Son, makes us a child of God.
We are not born into
God's family by "Blood" (heritage, family
‘pedigree’), "Nor will of the flesh" (good
works), "Nor will
of man." (minister, or man made religion),
"But of God."

17. Isa. 45:22 - No one else can save a soul
from Hell but God; "There is none else."

18. Acts 13:39 - "And by him [Christ] all
that believe are justified from all things,
from which ye
COULD NOT BE JUSTIFIED by the law of
Moses."

19. Rom. 8:7 - We can't follow God's law
even if we wanted to. So how can we save
ourselves?

20. Matthew 7:21-23 - Christ describes a
future scene in which some who are trusting
in their "Many
wonderful works," will, sadly, be told by
Christ: "I never knew you: depart from
me, Ye that work
iniquity." Their good works will not save
them. We all have to trust Christ, and Him
ALONE.

21. John 10:1 - We must enter through
Christ, "THE DOOR," not by "Some other
way.."

22. John 8:24 - A person can work all they
want, but it won't save them. Jesus said the
bottom line is
that, "If ye believe not that I am he [the
only way], ye shall die in your sins."

23. Rom. 4:2 - If Abraham could have saved
himself, he'd have something to brag about.

24. Acts 10:1-43 - Cornelius' good works
would put anyone today to shame, yet he still
had to get saved
by trusting solely in Christ to save him.

25. Rom. 3:27-28 - "Where is boasting
then?...Of WORKS? nay."

26. 1 John 5:13 - If your salvation depends
on a lifetime of good works, then why does
the Bible teach
that you could "KNOW" for sure, before you
die, that you are going to Heaven? The
answer is because
salvation doesn't depend on you, but on
Christ, who ALREADY paid the price for your
sins.

27. Heb. 1:3 - "He had BY HIMSELF
purged our sins." He doesn't need help
from us!

28. Heb. 2:3 - If we have to work at earning
it, why does the Bible call it "So great
salvation"?

29. Heb. 2:9-10 - Christ is "The CAPTAIN
of their salvation." He tasted "Death for
every man."

30. Heb. 2:14-15 - Christ is the one who will
"DELIVER" us from death, not ourselves!

31. Heb. 2:17 - Christ makes
"RECONCILIATION for the sins." We can't
reconcile ourselves.

32. Heb. 5:9 - Christ is "The AUTHOR of
eternal salvation," not us! It's not in our
hands.

33. Gal. 2:16 - "Knowing that a man IS
NOT JUSTIFIED BY THE WORKS of the
law, but by the
faith of Jesus Christ, ....that we might be
justified by the faith of Christ, and NOT
by the WORKS
of the law: FOR BY THE WORKS OF THE
LAW SHALL NO FLESH BE JUSTIFIED."

34. Heb. 9:28 - "Christ was once offered
to bear the sins of many." God won't
accept good works.

35. Heb. 10:10-12 - Christ's body was
offered "Once for all." So stop insulting
God with your works.

36. Heb. 10:14 - "For by one offering he
hath perfected for ever them." STOP
WORKING at it!

37. Heb. 10:17-18 - "There is no more
offering for sin." So stop offering your
good works.

38. 2 Cor. 1:9 - "We should not trust in
ourselves, but in God," who has ALREADY
paid the price.

39. 2 Cor. 1:10 - Christ "Delivered us from
so great a death." He had to; we can't
deliver ourselves.

40. Eph. 1:12-13 - You are saved by trusting
in Christ, and, "After that believed, ye
were SEALED."

41. Jer. 17:5 - "Cursed be the man that
trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his
arm."

42. Job 25:4 - "How then can man be
justified with God? or how can he be
clean that is born of a
woman?" (For God's answer, see Isaiah
1:18)

43. Isa. 12:2 - "Behold, God is my
salvation; I will trust." Don't trust good
works, trust the Saviour.

44. Luke 18:9-14 - Jesus gives a parable
teaching that self righteousness WILL NOT
save a person.

45. Ezek. 33:13 - "If he trust to his own
righteousness..." He better be perfectly
sinless or else!

46. John 14:6 - Jesus said, "I am THE
WAY...no man cometh unto the Father,
BUT BY ME."

47. 1 Tim. 2:5-6 - There's ONLY "One
mediator between God and men," Jesus
Christ, not ourselves.

48. Col. 2:14 - Christ took our sin debt,
"Nailing it to his cross." It's ALREADY paid
for!

49. John 19:30 - While on the cross, Christ
said, "It is finished." It's paid. We don't
have to work for it.

50. Matt. 11:28-30 - Christ offers "REST" to
all those working at trying to earn their way to
Heaven.

51. Isa. 53:4-6 - Christ was, "WOUNDED
FOR OUR transgressions." Why? So WE
don't have to be.

52. Heb. 4:9-10 - The person who accepts
Christ as Saviour, "Hath CEASED from his
own works."

53. Gal. 2:21 - If you could earn Heaven, why
did Christ die? "Then Christ is dead in
vain."

54. Rom. 3:20 - "Therefore by the deeds
of the law there SHALL NO FLESH BE
JUSTIFIED in his
sight: for by the law is the knowledge of
sin."

55. Gal. 5:1-4 - "Christ hath made us
free." He had to; we can't free ourselves, no
matter how "good."

56. 2 Tim. 1:10 - "Our Saviour Jesus
Christ, who hath abolished death," with
no help from us.

57. 1 John 4:14 - Christ was sent, "To be
the Saviour of the world"; we couldn't
save ourselves.

58. 1 Tim. 4:10 - "The Saviour of ALL
men." Why try to save yourself? You
already have a Saviour.

59. Acts 16:30-31 - When the Philippian
jailer asked, "What must I do to be
saved?" Paul didn't say,
keep the Ten Commandments, but rather,
"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and
thou shalt be saved."

60. Luke 7:49-50 - Christ told the woman:
"Thy faith hath saved thee," not thy
works!

61. Eph. 1:7 - "Redemption through HIS
BLOOD, the forgiveness of sins," not
through our works.

62. 1 Pet. 1:3-5 - "According to his
abundant MERCY," not according to our
good deeds.

63. Rev. 1:5 - Christ, "Washed us from our
sins in his own blood"; can't wash
ourselves with works.

64. Titus 3:7 - We are "Justified by his
grace," not by our good deeds, baptism, or
church membership.

65. Titus 2:11 - "The grace of God that
BRINGETH SALVATION hath appeared to
ALL MEN."

66. Eph. 4:32 - We are forgiven, "For
Christ's sake," not because of our good
behavior.

67. Eph. 2:4-5 - "(By grace ye are
saved)," not by works. The two DON'T mix
according to Rom. 11:6.

68. Acts 26:18 - "Through this man
[Christ]...forgiveness of sins," not through
our efforts!

69. Heb. 7:25 - Only Christ is "Able to
save." Only He can "Make INTERCESSION
for them."

70. Rom. 3:10 - "There is none righteous,
no, not one." So how can anyone save
themselves?

71. Rom. 3:12 - "There is none that
doeth good, no, not one." So how can
anyone save themselves?

72. Eccl. 7:20 - "There is not a just man
upon earth, that doeth good." Can
anyone save themselves?

73. Rom. 4:25 - Christ has already died for
our sins. He, "Was delivered for our
offences and raised
again FOR OUR JUSTIFICATION." So what
role does a person play in their own salvation?

74. Rom. 5:10 - "We are reconciled to
God by the death of his Son," not by the
fruits of our works.

75. John 6:28-29 - "Then said they unto
him, WHAT SHALL WE DO, that we might
work the works
of God? Jesus answered and said unto
them, THIS IS THE WORK OF GOD, THAT
YE BELIEVE
ON HIM whom he hath sent."

76. 1 Pet. 3:18 - "Suffered for us...that
HE might bring us to God." Do we have to
help Him save us?
Didn't He suffer enough to pay the price?
Heb. 7:25 says He did. He saves to "The
uttermost."

77. Matt. 5:20 - Your self-righteousness
would have to surpass that of the Pharisees--
Impossible! But possible by faith ALONE in christ because the righteousness of Jesus is perfect and not ours.

78. 1 John 2:2 - Christ, "Is the propitiation
[payment]...for the sins of the whole
world." If He can
pay for the sins of the whole world, why would
He need our help in saving us-- mere
individuals?

79. Rom. 8:8 - "They that are in the flesh
cannot please God." So what chance does
anyone have?

80. Rom. 3:23-25 - Through Christ's death
we are "Justified freely" (made right with
God). His death
provides: "Redemption" (we are bought
back to God), "Propitiation" (a settlement of
our sin debt),
"Remission [forgiveness] of sins." It's all
by God's "Grace" not our works.

81. James 2:10-11 - "For whosoever shall
keep the whole law, and yet offend in
ONE POINT, he is
guilty of all." We can't possibly save
ourselves; God demands sinless perfection.
We need a Saviour.

82. Romans 5:8-9 - We are "Justified by
his blood," not our good works. That's why
"When we were
sinners, Christ died for us." Therefore,
"We shall be saved from wrath through
him."

83. Matt. 18:11 - Jesus came "To save that
which was lost [us]." Why? Because we
can't save ourselves.
Otherwise, why send Christ to die for our sins
if we could pay for them ourselves?

84. Acts 15:10-11 - "Through the grace
of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be
saved," not through
works. Grace is not works; works is not
grace, as explained in Rom. 11:6

85. 2 Cor. 5:21 - "Christ was made sin for
us...that we might be made the
righteousness of God in
him." Why trust our own "righteousness" if
God offers to impute us His righteousness?
(Rom. 4:22-24)

86. Matt. 19:25-26 - "When his disciples
heard it, they were exceedingly amazed,
saying, WHO THEN
CAN BE SAVED? But Jesus beheld them,
and said unto them, WITH MEN THIS IS
IMPOSSIBLE;
but with God all things are possible."

87. Rom. 5:1 - "Therefore being
JUSTIFIED BY FAITH, we have PEACE
WITH GOD through our
Lord Jesus Christ." There can be no real
peace when a person spends their life
wondering if they have done
enough good works. Peace is knowing it's
been paid for ALREADY.

88. 2 Tim. 1:9 - "Who hath saved us, and
called us with an holy calling, NOT
ACCORDING TO OUR
WORKS, but according to his own
purpose and grace, which was given us
in Christ Jesus before the
world began." God had a "payment plan"
ready before any of us were even alive to
work!

89. Rom. 10:9-13 - "That if thou shalt
confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus
[i.e. Repent], and shalt
believe in thine heart [i.e. Trust] that God
hath raised him from the dead, THOU
SHALT BE SAVED
...For whosoever shall CALL upon the
name of the Lord SHALL BE SAVED."

90. Rom. 11:6 - "And if by grace, then is
it no more of works: otherwise grace is
no more grace."

91. Gal. 1:4, 92. Rom. 1:16, 93. Gal.
3:21, 94. Heb. 9:22, 95. 1 Tim. 2:6, 96.
Acts 10:43,
97. Isa. 43:11, 98. Gal. 3:24, 99. Heb.
9:12-14, 100. 1 Tim. 1:15, 101. Heb. 6:1

1 Like

Re: Threatening Children With Hell.. by vooks: 10:52pm On Mar 24, 2016
johnydon22:

Which is why you should teach children to be nice not threaten them into conformity.

Teach your children to be good to people because the world deserves goodness, that good is good to happen and because they should believe that there is good in the world and aspire to be good.

Not threaten them with fire in order to coerce them to submit to your idea of morality.

I have no problem with adults teaching the young ones, in fact my post supports and encourages it. My problem comes from threatening them. It instills psychological trauma and prison in their minds of which i know too well.

Teach them what they need to know not threaten them or instill fear to ensure submission.

This is another thinly veiled antitheistic rant.
The best you can do to your kid is to share your values to them

There is nothing like 'good because the world deserves good', teach them right and wrong and consequences of both.

But as I always remind atheists,and most are quite moral in fact better at morality than theists, they lack any logical basis for their morality ultimate meaning and purpose.

It took several young lives lost in a river and nearly mine before I learnt the dangers of drowning. If mentioning consequences of bad 'instills psychological trauma and prisons their minds', consult your nearest armchair sophist

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Threatening Children With Hell.. by johnydon22(m): 12:51pm On Apr 06, 2016
vooks:

This is another thinly veiled antitheistic rant.
The best you can do to your kid is to share your values to them

There is nothing like 'good because the world deserves good', teach them right and wrong and consequences of both.

But as I always remind atheists,and most are quite moral in fact better at morality than theists, they lack any logical basis for their morality ultimate meaning and purpose.

It took several young lives lost in a river and nearly mine before I learnt the dangers of drowning. If mentioning consequences of bad 'instills psychological trauma and prisons their minds', consult your nearest armchair sophist

quite very nonsensical this is i must say.

I have always affirmed any human who asserts "Humans have no logical basis for a good ethical and moral conduct" without an external coercion stemming from an alleged punishment or selfish reward scheme is not moral in essence and i call that line of thought stupi_d and dangerous to human development and well being.

If you cannot find basis to be good to other humans (moral) other than just "a belief" in an external authority then humanity has no hope with people who share such thoughts because they are all a potential dangerous time bomb to our continuous existence.

Morality is a human construct, a product of societal relationships and every human, Atheists or not has every logical basis to be moral and ethical in a society.

-Love

-compassion

-Empathy

-Sympathy

-Pity

-Community

-Social bond

-Family

-Love for earth and things in it

-Obedience to societal norms in accordance with societal well being, equality, justice and freedom.

Oh there are thousands of such logical basis why "Atheist" as well as any humans should and should be moral and ethical.

Only that you have been roped to only see as a basis the coercion by the threat of a hell and the greed in the clamor of a reward.

Those are not even basis themselves but are acts of fear and selfishness and so it is someone who has such mindset is to be said to have no logical basis for morality.

You may assume up claims of an external love, like being good for the love of God.

We do not need such assumptions and misplacement of human emotions, we do not need such "fear" masked as "love.

Rather it should be, Be good to other humans for the love of other humans and be good to earth for the love of earth

No external coercion involved or the need of an assumptive authority neither is it seen as a means to a selfish end (paradise) or fear to escape a punishment (hell).

I'm sure everyone can see who has every logical basis to be moral.

The assumption of an imaginary consequence to threaten children into conformity is a dangerous grasp of deception and abuse.
and itself can never be a moral approach to child formation and instruction.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Threatening Children With Hell.. by urahara(m): 3:14pm On Apr 29, 2016
johnydon22:

Amadioha 12: 3

Him Amadioha wrapped up the calabash of knowledge and hid it from many that they will search and will not find

Epic grin grin grin lolk
Re: Threatening Children With Hell.. by Amberon: 8:38pm On Apr 29, 2016
dumb atheists.

no one is threatening others with hell. its like saying that The Federal ministry of Health is threatening smokers with death by saying that smokers are liable to die young.

Its also like telling someone that they'll fail their tests if they don't study.

Hell is real. like it or not!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

For Which Reasons Would You Change Your Church / The 5-F Pillars Of A Heavenly Minded Christian / What Makes You A Christian: Studying The Bible Or Praying?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.