Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,992 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:23 AM

Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs (3106 Views)

This Is The Real Reason New Graduates Can't Get Hired - Bbc.com / Testimonies Of Second-Class Lower Graduates Who Have Good Jobs / 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by onaives(m): 11:49am On Apr 16, 2009
Statistics tell us that the job market is vastly transforming. People are changing jobs in the course of their careers more often than ever before. Many companies are becoming more “automated” and the global economy is forcing companies to “downsize,” or "right size" resulting in lost jobs and unemployment. As a matter of fact, today’s job market is more fiercely competitive than ever.

That is why in today’s market you need a serious edge, a competitive advantage to stand out. Having a topnotch CV is still vital, but you will need more than a CV to get your dream job. You will need a well-crafted cover letter that demonstrates how your skills can be used to your target company’s advantage. You must be equipped with an overall knowledge of your field in general and a deep insight of your target company
in particular in order to ace an interview. In today’s market you must also have an e-resume replete with significant keywords

A word they say is enough for the wise. grin

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by demoly: 11:59am On Apr 16, 2009
Good point! and more importantly what employer need is your skill not your paper certificate. Get a skill and employer would be crawling seeking your services!
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by onaives(m): 12:20pm On Apr 16, 2009
Fellow nairalanders, frankly speaking (or writing), I think Nigerians have to be thoroughly "schooled" about seeking for or acquiring quality jobs. (High paying ones, ofcourse)
The good news is that there are hundreds and even thousands of quality jobs here in Nigeria in all sectors of the economy waiting to be "grabbed" by "armed men".
The cardinal challenge faced by many of our employers is contingent upon the premise that majority of our graduates are ill- equipped (mentally, professionally and socially) for the tasks ahead of them.

Friends, 3 basic things (amongst others) are essential here:

1. Personal Inventory
2. Your Prospective Employer's inventory
3. Your Professional Disposition.

When you are armed with these essentials, you are half done with getting the job.

Ogas and Madams, please, I've got to go now, Got some work to do.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by onaives(m): 10:27am On Apr 17, 2009
[size=8pt]Proper Prior Planning and Purposeful Preparation Promotes Peak and Perfect Perfoemance Preventing Piss Poor Production Processes and Plummeting Profits within Professional Practices[/size] grin

Good luck
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by jidobaba(m): 5:39pm On Apr 19, 2009
You guys are just dropping high-sounding phrases that you read in some employment pamphlet. How many of you have got any job with your 'Purposeful Proactive Skill, E-resume e.t.c. If you don't have practical advice for jobseekers then don't contribute to the anger with smartass rubbish okay?
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by jidobaba(m): 5:42pm On Apr 19, 2009
I would suggest starting work with any small enterprise first and not put all hope on these multinationals. From there you can explore your other options and also keep body and soul together
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by dominictj(m): 7:44pm On Apr 19, 2009
I want to agree with jidobaba on this issue. inspite of the current situation being faced by many Nigerian graduates alot of water still pass under the bridge. only last friday, I was at one of these top government official's office when he procured a quality job for the daughter of one of his colleagues through phone call. The trend still continues and its those who are not highly placed that will find it difficult to secure a good job in the country inspite of having all the requred skills the job demands of them.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by chukz4real(m): 7:46pm On Apr 19, 2009
Its a very good thing to start with a small company. Smaller companies provide individual with enough learning experience, afterwhich one can go for the multinationals.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by Nobody: 9:15pm On Apr 19, 2009
Why does everyone think the multinational companies are the only ways to succeed.
You can work for a small company that can grow and propel you way up in your career.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by arogbowei: 10:52pm On Apr 19, 2009
Why can't youths think of what to do rather than scouting for jobs that do not exist? Know yourself, know your passion, how can I turn my passion to gold, what training or mentoring do I require for my passion to become gold? That is definitely the way forward in this age and time.

Youths cannot find job because our educational system is faulty. Our system should emphasize skills rather than certificates.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by decash(m): 12:29am On Apr 20, 2009
Why can't youths think of what to do rather than scouting for jobs that do not exist? Know yourself, know your passion, how can I turn my passion to gold, what training or mentoring do I require for my passion to become gold? That is definitely the way forward in this age and time.

Youths cannot find job because our educational system is faulty. Our system should emphasize skills rather than certificates.

Brother, you are saying something.
it's not all about the certificate. What do you find JOY when doing it?
if u go to school, make sure u study what's ur talent i.e what u find passion at.
that'll help the country not for young brains to move around the street looking for a job.
we can do something creative with the gift God has bestowed in us.
atleast if 97% of our young graduates use their heads, it can solve 97% of the jobless problem in our country.
Guys, it's high time we where using our heads.
thanks.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by Nobody: 3:26am On Apr 20, 2009
BAD RESULT, BAD GRADE

ANY FIRST CLASS WITH NO JOB HERE SHOULD PM ME.
we get him job
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by 7eleven: 8:27am On Apr 20, 2009
ActiveMan:

BAD RESULT, BAD GRADE

we get him job

shocked really!

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by vyruscool(m): 8:47am On Apr 20, 2009
I tink is tym d Nigeria govt works wit sm selected n elected youth 4 a better n greater 2morow,

Yes Nigeria nids a virgin n talented brain 2 move more steps 2wards itz goals,

We can do this, (Youth)
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by oludimuni: 10:30am On Apr 20, 2009
If it true that there is a global economic recession, more focus should be on creating more jobs. Nigerian graduates should be more creative to create jobs, in result creating more money.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by yomite130: 11:41am On Apr 20, 2009
while will nigeria graduate get good jobs when they cant defend the result they were carrying i was in markudi some weeks ago i was opportune to reside in one of the polytechnics hostel there could you believe that some coppers that are posted to this school were made lecturers and to make every thing worst one of them of made the hod of architectural department, all of them were unable to deliver even one of them came to class already drunk and was still requesting for star in class from student what a disaster
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by detopshot(m): 11:55am On Apr 20, 2009
It's a discouragin situation. 4d copper that came 2class already drunk, he should be thrown into a lagoon, i haven't said i do not drink.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by detopshot(m): 12:00pm On Apr 20, 2009
It's a discouragin situation. 4d copper that came 2class already drunk, he should be thrown into a lagoon, i haven't said i do not drink.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by Dandas: 2:22pm On Apr 20, 2009
I just support Jidobaba and dominic tj.For some that will read materials on the net and come here talking wat they read:Cv do this and that,thats not the issue.I just advise my fellow colleques to start from any smaller company while looking for bigger one.A big man that call another big man to give Job to his own person,and it was automatically given,is it CV or Experience or whatever you call it?.There are people that even over qualified for such job,yet they are moving arround here and there looking for such job."CONNECTIONS' is still playing role in Job search in naija.But God will help us.God will provide for us.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by GeorgeD1(m): 5:05pm On Apr 20, 2009
Most of them are half-backed, that's why. You can't blame them though. The
lecturers that should be teaching them are busy running around harrasing
female students.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by Redman44(m): 5:44pm On Apr 20, 2009
There are a lot of reasons why Nigerian Graduates can't get good jobs. The Nigerian environment itself is still largely negative in nature. In a negative environment, there will be no chance for effective information dissemination. That is why some good jobs that are advertised are not seen by graduates. It is not only about placing adverts in Newspapers and some online sites. Different avenues need to be used to advertise jobs. It is painful that the Nigerian government has not started making employment easy in the country. In Britain, the government has a website where job seekers can access and apply for all kinds of jobs. There are also Places called Jobcentres where one can walk in and use computer points to look for jobs. Phones have been made available for you at the place to call the companies advertising the vacancies immediately.

What efforts are our state governments making to enable graduates feel comfortable when searching for jobs? NONE. I also feel that Graduates should start looking inwardly. They could create jobs for others by starting small businesses. All the great companies started small. You can also get a lot of resources on the net about starting out on your own. It is all about passion and hardwork. There is also the need to promote your business cheaply through the web and leaflets. Facebook and Bebo is already being used to promote new businesses. Check out:

www.thejuicetimes.com

It is a creative news and features website being promoted by social networking in the USA. The site is run by two Nigerians. My advice to all Nigerian graduates is this: Develop your talent and you'll never worry about applying for jobs. Cheers.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by GeorgeD1(m): 7:27pm On Apr 20, 2009
As far as nigeria is concerned, the newspapers still remains the most viable means
of looking for job placement-except of course you have a godfather somewhere.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by Nobody: 9:20pm On Apr 20, 2009
I STILL DONT BELIEVE THAT THERE IS UNEMPLOYMENT

ASK THE PEOPLE LOOKING FOR JOB DON'T HAVE GOOD GRADE
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by doziej84: 2:38pm On Apr 21, 2009
ActiveMan:

BAD RESULT, BAD GRADE

we get him job

ACTIVE MAN, I HAVE A BSC IN PHYSICS/GEOPHYSICS (2.1) FROM THE UNIPORT. CAN U HELP ME SECURE A JOB.

ATTACHED BELOW IS MY C.V

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by Nobody: 3:36pm On Apr 21, 2009
What is all this talk about Nigerian graduates being half-baked. So those who do the jobs are they "fully baked". This new phrase we have discovered is no more than a smoke screen to cover our inability to provide jobs for our teeming graduate population.

Most of these jobs do not require rocket science intelligence. Some people are street smart but may not be too good on the book. So why not put them where they fit in. Why not fix them in the marketing department of our banks, send them on the streets to get customers.Do you need special knowledge for that too. Most jobs require minimum book knowledge and greater creativity. And l think creativity is what Nigerians have in abundance

Now let put this into perspective. Back in the 60s and 70s when there were few graduates and more than enough jobs to go round, are we saying there where no half baked graduates, did they not perform well in their jobs.

The point really is that the term "half baked" has somehow become an excuse for explaining away our inability to provide jobs for our graduates.
NOTE: Please, this is not a defense for those who refuse to work had in school.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by Nobody: 8:15am On Apr 22, 2009
@doziej84 CAN YOU WORK IN GOVERNMENT MISNISTRY (OGUN STATE)
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by onaives(m): 2:48pm On Apr 22, 2009
I believe strongly that human beings should not wait until the verge of their transition periods before they realize that something drastic has to be done.

Preparation for good jobs ought to start from the first day a student gets admission into the higher instituition of learning. Many Nigerians are fond of waiting till the last moment (final year, in most cases) before they realise that life is not a bed of roses,
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by afix(m): 3:18pm On Apr 22, 2009
'EDUCATION WITHOUT APPLICATION IS A MEANINGLESS ACQUISITION';ENG S.A OLAGOKE.This qotes is from one of my lecturers at fed poly ilaro;must Nigeria graduates seek for job if they realy go to school to study;why can't they put what they've acqured in practice;if they can realy defend there certificates.Everyone in this forum knows that about 85% of our graduate can't defend their certificate.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by doziej84: 8:59pm On Apr 23, 2009
ActiveMan:

@doziej84 CAN YOU WORK IN GOVERNMENT MISNISTRY (OGUN STATE)

Definitely, i can work in Ogun state.( i served in osun state) hence can work anywhere.

if u can get me A job in ogun state, i'll be glad. THANK U.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by masterz(m): 6:12pm On Apr 26, 2009
Nice talk, I hope those concerned would listen. But wait,

I recently created an ebook titled “Understanding how to make money online” and am giving out the ebook for free. But you have to send an email to masterm66@gmail.com with the title “free ebook titled “understanding how to make money online””. Hurry now and go get your copy.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get Good Jobs by candlux: 7:16am On Apr 28, 2009
densel:

What is all this talk about Nigerian graduates being half-baked. So those who do the jobs are they "fully baked". This new phrase we have discovered is no more than a smoke screen to cover our inability to provide jobs for our teeming graduate population.

Most of these jobs do not require rocket science intelligence. Some people are street smart but may not be too good on the book. So why not put them where they fit in. Why not fix them in the marketing department of our banks, send them on the streets to get customers.Do you need special knowledge for that too. Most jobs require minimum book knowledge and greater creativity. And l think creativity is what Nigerians have in abundance

Now let put this into perspective. Back in the 60s and 70s when there were few graduates and more than enough jobs to go round, are we saying there where no half baked graduates, did they not perform well in their jobs.

The point really is that the term "half baked" has somehow become an excuse for explaining away our inability to provide jobs for our graduates.
NOTE: Please, this is not a defense for those who refuse to work had in school.

that is just the truth. apart from very small percentage of jobs done in nigeria say 1%. most jobs, be it oil,telecoms,bank etc can be done by a smart secondary student if He is taught.

so let our leaders provide jobs for the youth. people kip run their mouth about starting something small-business. but they should remember that nigerian environment is very precarious. if small and medium manufacturing companys with good capital base can close up in nigeria. then it would be extremely difficult for a guy that can hardly get money to print his CV to go into meaningful business venture, Remember the high lending rates and Power! I think banks would hardly give startups funds,

soo if govt. cant give jobs let them give soft loan with very small interest rate that you can pay over a long period. The govt is not just doing enough.

(1) (Reply)

Diamond Bank / Urgent Recruitment For 2012 / National Orthopaedic Hospital Dala, Kano Medical Job Vacancies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.