Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage (37472 Views)

The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) / Make-Up Free Photo Of Ola Adeyemi, Alaafin Of Oyo's Wife, Shows Her Tribal Marks / In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by bigfrancis21: 10:40pm On Oct 03, 2015
Afam4eva:

It's not fair to say that this is only common with the Yorubas. The same can also be said of some Igbo families.

My post was in response to the op's claim that Igbos are bigoted and don't marry from outside. Start reading the thread from the beginning.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by tonychristopher: 7:09am On Oct 04, 2015
boskolin:
If Igbo men are so great why are Igbo girls running after Yoruba men? twitter is full of angry Igbo girls crying over Yoruba men and they are the ones promoting this Yoruba boys slander on twitter. Igbo men are just too rude and primitive, everything about them is money . lipsrsealed

Any person Igbo girl will want to marry an Igbo man any Igbo lady running after Yoruba which I have never seen is always areject

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by nicetboy(m): 1:01pm On Oct 04, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
like seriously...I just feel the suspicion amongst the major ethnic group just deepened..you'd expect we the new breed to know and do better than our fathers did..I listened to the nnamdi KANU guy on his Kuwaiti trip..the guy is something else
babe seriously i like u. Do u knw y? Cus of ur sincer and honest, have been reading ur comments nd i notice how u reply pple maturedly. Nw 2 ur topic... I knw u came across deductive nd inductive principle in your yr 1 philosphy.. Dat u pickd a brown beans 4rm a bag shouldnt mean dat the bag contained only brown beans. Am an igbo nd i wouldnt mind marrying 4rm any tribe so far as u meet my criteria.
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 3:40pm On Oct 04, 2015
nicetboy:
babe seriously i like u. Do u knw y? Cus of ur sincer and honest, have been reading ur comments nd i notice how u reply pple maturedly. Nw 2 ur topic... I knw u came across deductive nd inductive principle in your yr 1 philosphy.. Dat u pickd a brown beans 4rm a bag shouldnt mean dat the bag contained only brown beans. Am an igbo nd i wouldnt mind marrying 4rm any tribe so far as u meet my criteria.
smiley..thank you...I am humbled...true about the brown bean analogy,wordup

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by theDEVILisHERE: 6:29pm On Oct 05, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
There are jocular anecdotes told of the Igbo people...a couple of then I favor...if you get to a strange land and find no Igbo man therein,you Berra port or while theres war in Syra, or any other place for that matter,the Igbo man is defying all odds to do his business in the midst of it! The doggedness,tenacity,the business acumen and industrious spirit of the Igbo man..amazing..admirable!
I went through a thread of a certain nairalander whom whimsically stated her admiration for Igbo men...I smiled to myself on her newfound dedication; a thought occurred to me to get the issue of intertribal marriage to the front burner..albeit focusing on the IBO tribe..I detest generalisation in any context, but there are some perceived stereotypes which borders on some inherent truth...this brings up the question:

Why is it that some or most Igbo men no matter their love or commitment to any woman that is non-igbo will leave that same woman and must marry one of their own? ..no matter the stand of the man,the relatives,Umunna..especially if the man have sisters would subjugate the non Igbo wife of their brother and frustrate to the point of ruining the relationship of their brother to his non Igbo girlfriend or wife so that he can marry "properly" an Adaobi..on the flip side,the Igbo females have less trouble marrying non-igbo men...I understand there are Igbo men and women whom have had the liberty of choice to marry non-igbos..that given,the above stated is a fundamental issue...now will the agitation for Biafra fuel the prejudice of intertribal marriage of Igbo sons to non Igbo women? Why do the igbos kick frantically against their sons marrying non-igbo women?

What most of you have not realised is that Igbo men are actually the most married-out of both men and women in Nigeria and the whole of africa
They are the most traveled of all african men and have married from all over the world
Usa, canada, brazil, many european countries, asian countries (china, japan, vietnam, india, Taiwan, thailand etc), russia, you names it
In Africa they've married from more nationalities than any set of african men
Even in nigeria they have married from more tribes than any set of nigerian men
Hausa, fulani(this I know of), kanuri,yoruba, the middle belt tribes as well as from their close relatives in the former eastern region
It might be a small % of igbo men that do this but it doesn't change the fact that they've married-out to different people more than other of the fellow country men

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by theDEVILisHERE: 6:52pm On Oct 05, 2015
Although I will say in general Igbo men are more restricted by their relatives/community from marring outside than Igbo women and that probably due some issues like

Cultural and bloodline preservation cause Igbo men are the very foundations for preserving the igbo societies igboness

Igbo man are out numbered by Igbo women so if they marry-out more who will igbo women marry

Mistrust issues with other ethnicities

The family/community economics is centred around them

1 thing is sure tho
If he's convinced about you he'll surely marry you regardless of where your from

1 Like

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 8:31pm On Oct 06, 2015
If the guy you are dating is a 1st born igbo guy and you are not Igbo there is a 95% chance he would not marry you cos they are the custodians of their culture! Aside that any of his younger siblings can marry from anywhere!

Pls this is a generalization but relatively true! You see the 1st son must be vested in tradition and vest it also in his 1st son as to be able to represent the family unit properly and ensure their relevance in the communal scheme of things!

But for the families that have migrated or lost teir roots this is not applicable!

Secondly, make an effort to understand the culture! If you can forget the so called women liberation shit you would be accepted in 50% of all Nigerian tribes, understanding the culture and reasoning increases it to 75% but hat takes it to next level is education of the parents!

This comes when they are put in a situation that makes them value the others tribe
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 8:46pm On Oct 06, 2015
jykeggt:
If the guy you are dating is a 1st born igbo guy and you are not Igbo there is a 95% chance he would not marry you cos they are the custodians of their culture! Aside that any of his younger siblings can marry from anywhere!

Pls this is a generalization but relatively true! You see the 1st son must be vested in tradition and vest it also in his 1st son as to be able to represent the family unit properly and ensure their relevance in the communal scheme of things!

But for the families that have migrated or lost teir roots this is not applicable!

Secondly, make an effort to understand the culture! If you can forget the so called women liberation shit you would be accepted in 50% of all Nigerian tribes, understanding the culture and reasoning increases it to 75% but hat takes it to next level is education of the parents!

This comes when they are put in a situation that makes them value the others tribe
wow...insightful

1 Like

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 8:51pm On Oct 06, 2015
theDEVILisHERE:
Although I will say in general Igbo men are more restricted by their relatives/community from marring outside than Igbo women and that probably due some issues like

Cultural and bloodline preservation cause Igbo men are the very foundations for preserving the igbo societies igboness

Igbo man are out numbered by Igbo women so if they marry-out more who will igbo women marry

Mistrust issues with other ethnicities

The family/community economics is centred around them

1 thing is sure tho
If he's convinced about you he'll surely marry you regardless of where your from
...summary of your submission is to preserve the igboness,hence the unwillingness to marry non Igbo..to some extent this may be plausible

1 Like

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by stevecantrell: 9:10pm On Oct 06, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
...summary of your submission is to preserve the igboness,hence the unwillingness to marry non Igbo..to some extent this may be plausible

PM not working.
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 9:42pm On Oct 06, 2015
stevecantrell:

PM not working.
hi there
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 9:42pm On Oct 06, 2015
stevecantrell:

PM not working.
smiley
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 10:35pm On Oct 06, 2015
Why do nairalanders pay so much attention on Igbos? Whats so special about them? They are just like.the rest of.the nigerian population.
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Wulfruna(f): 10:42pm On Oct 06, 2015
Nori:
Why do nairalanders pay so much attention on Igbos? Whats so special about them? They are just like.the rest of.the nigerian population.

I don't understand it myself.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by stevecantrell: 10:47pm On Oct 06, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
hi there
Hii !!!
Hope you're good.. ?
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by bigfrancis21: 1:08am On Oct 07, 2015
Nori:

Topics about Igbos generate a lot of attention and traffic. Some nairalanders looking to draw traffic to their thread try to make it about Igbos or anything regarding Igbos. Yoruba or Hausa topic threads usually don"t generate as much traffic as Igbo topic threads do. Someone could open a thread like, 'why do Hausa men like wearing Agbada?' and the thread, without reaching the front page, would struggle to get to 3 pages in a week and meanwhile the reverse on Igbos would get to 10 or 20 pages in a few days as if it had been on the front page to have gathered that much attention. For some reason, Igbo related topics are controversial.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by theDEVILisHERE: 1:21am On Oct 07, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:

No
That's just one reason
There are others
Including those I talked about in the earlier post
One things is sure
They usually make firm decisions
Once they decide to marry anyone
They would
Regardless of what any one (relatives, community) would say
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 5:52am On Oct 07, 2015
stevecantrell:

Hii !!!
Hope you're good.. ?
yeah...top of da morning ter ya!

1 Like

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 9:01am On Oct 07, 2015
Nori:
why are you on this thread?
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 9:03am On Oct 07, 2015
Wulfruna:

I don't understand it myself.
educated and informed contributions will be welcomed you know...so why are you on the thread again?
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 9:09am On Oct 07, 2015
theDEVILisHERE:

No
That's just one reason
There are others
Including those I talked about in the earlier post
One things is sure
They usually make firm decisions
Once they decide to marry anyone
They would
Regardless of what any one (relatives, community) would say
..well, someone mentioned they perceive their women to understand their culture better..I have heard in some places, even if the Igbo man is married to an outsider,chances are the family will see to it he eventually marries an IBO woman..to some extent,if he is from a liberal enlightened background, he might get away with it...but this rarely is the case if he is a traditional man
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 9:16am On Oct 07, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Topics about Igbos generate a lot of attention and traffic. Some nairalanders looking to draw traffic to their thread try to make it about Igbos or anything regarding Igbos. Yoruba or Hausa topic threads usually don"t generate as much traffic as Igbo topic threads do. Someone could open a thread like, 'why do Hausa men like wearing Agbada?' and the thread, without reaching the front page, would struggle to get to 3 pages in a week and meanwhile the reverse on Igbos would get to 10 or 20 pages in a few days as if it had been on the front page to have gathered that much attention. For some reason, Igbo related topics are controversial.
..you really are disappointing with this petty and mundane contribution..will front page or your contributions give me a Jaguar? The thread was to address some sociological issues which may in real life situation with meaningful contributions be addressed..whats one of the purpose of an online forum again?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by tonychristopher: 9:21am On Oct 07, 2015
have you gotten married to the men in line for you...lol

you must have longed for igbo penis and blokos for long

take this as a joke

BlaqCoffee109:
..you really are disappointing with this petty and mundane contribution..will front page or your contributions give me a Jaguar? The thread was to address some sociological issues which may in real life situation with meaningful contributions be addressed..whats one of the purpose of an online forum again?
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by tonychristopher: 9:25am On Oct 07, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
..well, someone mentioned they perceive their women to understand their culture better..I have heard in some places, even if the Igbo man is married to an outsider,chances are the family will see to it he eventually marries an IBO woman..to some extent,if he is from a liberal enlightened background, he might get away with it...but this rarely is the case if he is a traditional man

let me be honest with you...igbo men and igbo generally believe they are better and supeior and that is the way we are and we do not marry outside, it is rare even if we do we have traditional places that we go such as the Efiks, Ibibio, Anangs, Kalabari and maybe and I mean maybe but very rare Urhobo...we loo east..anything far West From benin is seen as abberation and the man looked down on

how can a woman from lets say itshekiri with the way their women are known, i lived in warri come to say meeting umuada or ndiinyo and merge...ko possible, how can she cook that ofe onugbu with ogiri isi and okporoko just like Nkechi...it is impossible, how can she differentiate ede from ede uli

I think you should marry your type dear

now this is an advise not a joke

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 9:31am On Oct 07, 2015
tonychristopher:
have you gotten married to the men in line for you...lol

you must have longed for igbo penis and blokos for long

take this as a joke

hello tonychristopher..when I make my choice..peradventure you may be notified, sadly you will not be on my guest list, though your stupidity at times cut across as comical..I think I favor the like of Basketmouth if theres need for comic relief and sense..i don't do cheap..you must be one stressed brokeass whose entertainment begins and ends at the bedroom...I got jokes too

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 9:41am On Oct 07, 2015
tonychristopher:

let me be honest with you...igbo men and igbo generally believe they are better and supeior and that is the way we are and we do not marry outside, it is rare even if we do we have traditional places that we go such as the Efiks, Ibibio, Anangs, Kalabari and maybe and I mean maybe but very rare Urhobo...we loo east..anything far West From benin is seen as abberation and the man looked down on

how can a woman from lets say itshekiri with the way their women are known, i lived in warri come to say meeting umuada or ndiinyo and merge...ko possible, how can she cook that ofe onugbu with ogiri isi and okporoko just like Nkechi...it is impossible, how can she differentiate ede from ede uli

I think you should marry your type dear

now this is an advise not a joke
...sure I will marry my type..wealth,class..I hear you marry what's in you and person on the same wavelength as yourself..I just realised that whatever qualities I admired in him may have been as a result of his mother..she is non-ibo and sadly not with his father..thank you for your advise..appreciated...for the better and superior part,lmao

1 Like

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by theDEVILisHERE: 10:54am On Oct 07, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:

As much as family/ community have a lot of influence and put pressure when it comes to such decisions
You have to realise that
Igbo men normally still have an independent mind of their own
When they make a consious decision they stand by it regardless of what any one thinks
So if they sincerely want to marry you
They will marry you
Except you yourself opt out from it
As for what you said about family forcing an igbo woman on an already married igbo man
That cannot be possible
Except they kill the wife which is extream
Igbo men are normally monogamous so a second wife is will not be an option 4 most

1 Like

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by bigfrancis21: 11:25am On Oct 07, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:

I wasn't referring to your thread actually. Your thread is definitely not one of them, though some of your latter comments may portray an Igbo bashing intent and betray your sincere intent of opening the thread. I was referring to what I have noticed on nairaland for some time. In fact, as a moderator, I have lost count of so many silly threads opened by miscreants looking to garner attention that I have had to close.
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by bigfrancis21: 11:43am On Oct 07, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
why are you on this thread?

BlaqCoffee109:
educated and informed contributions will be welcomed you know...so why are you on the thread again?

I don't think it is proper to ask them why they are on this thread. You can ask them to post in line with the topic of the thread if you feel they are derailing the thread. The thread belongs to you just as it belongs to other contributors as well.
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 11:47am On Oct 07, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I wasn't referring to your thread actually. Your thread is definitely not one of them, though some of your latter comments may portray an Igbo bashing intent and betray your sincere intent of opening the thread. I was referring to what I have noticed on nairaland for some time. In fact, as a moderator, I have lost count of so many silly threads opened by miscreants looking to garner attention that I have had to close.

oh well..I guess the ish with TonyChristopher? the guy is a Clown! ..we were just taking swipes at each other..not necessarily bashing Igbos
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 11:53am On Oct 07, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I don't think it is proper to ask them why they are on this thread. You can ask them to post in line with the topic of the thread if you feel they are derailing the thread. The thread belongs to you just as it belongs to other contributors as well.
...Sarcasm.. the question..sides their contributions were...oh well

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

I Removed 800-year-old Palace Deity As I’m Above Idols –oluwo Of Iwo / Oyaaa! Waffi Men, Benin Men, Port Harcourt Niggies, Yenagoa Men. Pidgin Contest / Oba Of Benin Detains Nelson Oghogho, Palace Aide (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.