Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,851 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

The Politics Of Marginalization In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Politics Of Marginalization In Nigeria (2923 Views)

Ndigbo Will Not Tolerate Further Marginalization In Nigeria – MASSOB / Alleged Marginalization In Lagos: APC Tells Igbos To Seek Dialogue / Yoruba Cannot Fold Hands And Endure Marginalization In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Politics Of Marginalization In Nigeria by Strength10: 6:48pm On Apr 18, 2009
Why is it still taking the civilian government of Nigeria to create another state in the southeast to bring it to par with other states.? Why are there delibrate efforts by the Nigerian Government to Marginalize?. I love Nigeria and want nigeria to be strong and together but their must be equity. The Hausas and Yorubas are to be blamed for this inequality because the Yurubas (OBJ) was in power for 8 yrs and did nothing to fix this. The current Yaradua is not doing anything in any section of the  country to move the people forward and is basically a lame duck.
When will nigeria ever grow and when will we ever keep aside tribal politics to fix Nigeria.? Just look at those numbers and you be the Judge.

SOUTH  EAST 95 LOCAL GOVERNMENTS

SOUTH WEST 137 LOCAL GOVERNMENTS

SOUTH SOUTH 122 LOCAL  GOVERNMENTS

NORTH WEST 186 LOCAL GOVERNMENTS

NORTH WEST 112 LOCAL GOVERNMENT

NORTH CENTRAL 121 LOCAL GOVERNMENT.
Re: The Politics Of Marginalization In Nigeria by ikeyman00(m): 6:54pm On Apr 18, 2009
@post

i think they both busy meddlin around on kano-lagos railway
Re: The Politics Of Marginalization In Nigeria by PapaBrowne(m): 7:59pm On Apr 18, 2009
@ MrStrength10
Interesting, the regions with the most Local Governments are the poorest regions in the country!
Doesn't that tell you that more states or LGAs don't solve any problems neither do they bring much development!
In fact they might actually create further polarization amongst hitherto united people!
Re: The Politics Of Marginalization In Nigeria by Strength10: 8:18pm On Apr 18, 2009
PapaBrowne:

@ MrStrength10
Interesting, the regions with the most Local Governments are the poorest regions in the country!
Doesn't that tell you that more states or LGAs don't solve any problems neither do they bring much development!
In fact they might actually create further polarization amongst hitherto united people!

No, those guys in the North are poor because they choose to. They have been given the opportunity to grow and develop their lands through micro governments and state allocations even in the face of very low populations compared to others. They don't go to school, they turn into beggars when they turn 30, sell only gworo when they graduate from secondary school and marry 10 wives with no means of providing for them. These wounds are self inflicted.
Creation of extra state in the greater southeast area ( North Delta, North Rivers,and N Baylesa)will not lead to polarization because people there are more informed, educated and united than you think or that is portrayed. The point is that, they should be given that chance first before concluding that they will end up like their Norhtern counter parts. These are 2 different people in 2 different regions with different cultures and approach to life so you cannot expect to see the same results,
Re: The Politics Of Marginalization In Nigeria by SapeleGuy: 9:34pm On Apr 18, 2009
Strength10, Hello - How does creating more local govt areas alleviate the peoples suffering? Put another way - please explain how this disparity in local govt areas has stopped the South East from developing the existing Areas in the region. Let us focus on quality and not quantity. What will be the viability of this new state, take North Delta for example massive investment is going into the Asaba area i.e. International airport etc - Lately, South South has been good for Delta North, I can't see them breaking away.
Re: The Politics Of Marginalization In Nigeria by blacksta(m): 9:36pm On Apr 18, 2009
More states more local government , if i hear the word more again  - i will go mad.  What have we done with the existing LG or states we have in Nigeria. The only thing i believe will happen is another establishment of a money siphoning unit.  Please come back in 20 yrs time when we get our act together.
Re: The Politics Of Marginalization In Nigeria by Strength10: 10:59pm On Apr 18, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Strength10, Hello - How does creating more local govt areas alleviate the peoples suffering? Put another way - please explain how this disparity in local govt areas has stopped the South East from developing the existing Areas in the region. Let us focus on quality and not quantity. What will be the viability of this new state, take North Delta for example massive investment is going into the Asaba area i.e. International airport etc - Lately, South South has been good for Delta North, I can't see them breaking away.

I'M Sorry Sapele, you should have known better. Anioma will definitely leave Delta, if not now, later. They are agitating and IGBOS wanna unit there people west of the niger and though they have benefited, how many governors from delta have been Aniomas? The Massive investment in Asaba i'm sorry will benefit everyone including southern Deltans but it will not be in there Jurisdiction. Just last year, a group of people critized IGBOS in Asaba and delta and said only the true deltans(Itsekiri, Ijaw  etc) should be allowed to rule delta. That is not equity. A people should not become a Minority in their Home.
Yeah i know south south has been good for Northern Delta but even if Anioma is created, they will still be part of the Niger Delta and access the funding needed to build their state the way they want it.
Re: The Politics Of Marginalization In Nigeria by SapeleGuy: 9:46am On Apr 19, 2009
Blacksta - great point.
Strength10 - you also make that point well but you ignore two small facts:
1: Timing is everything, many years ago Southern Delta would have agreed to this proposal. After 2010 and this airport matter- forget it.
2: From a national perspective, if you allow the creation of Anioma state, then every ethnic nationality will be entitled to ask for their own state (over 250), whilst I agree that this is the ultimate expression of self determination, in our current state of development it would be a logistic and administrative nightmare.

The grass is always greener on the other side, 'It will be okay when we have our own land'. Please explain how having a new eastern state will alleviate all the indices of deprivation that Igbos are facing under their Igbo leaders.

Nigerians from SAPELE TO SOKOTO from EKITI TO ENUGU are suffering from the same problem : Feudalism & Greed of our leaders, when these leaders get exposed, they start to play the ethnicity/marginalisation card as this is the only thing they have in common with the masses.

Strength10 - 2 wrongs don't make a right. Nobody chooses to be poor, the point you make about Northerners is very inflammatory and doesn't add to your cause.

People always talk about how educated and enlightened the southerners are, but of what use is this education if you can't use it to repair your environment? What I am getting at here is that all the local govt chairpersons in Igboland are Igbo, how have they progressed Igbo. I posit that despite our so called educational prowess we are actually regressing and going backwards in all facets of life except GREED. Let us work together to make progress.
Re: The Politics Of Marginalization In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:51am On Apr 19, 2009
Until nigeria decides to practice true federalism rid of tribalism, nepotism, federal character and quota system; states and LGA should be equal in all the zones.
Other zones are quick to clamor for federal character and quota system when it suits them but are quick to shout foul when its time for S/east to benefit from such lazy and malicious bill in the constitution.
Re: The Politics Of Marginalization In Nigeria by Strength10: 5:32pm On Apr 19, 2009
nuzo:

Until nigeria decides to practice true federalism rid of tribalism, nepotism, federal character and quota system; states and LGA should be equal in all the zones.
Other zones are quick to clamor for federal character and quota system when it suits them but are quick to shout foul when its time for S/east to benefit from such lazy and malicious bill in the constitution.

I agree. When it is time for other zones to benefit, everything is great and justified, but when it comes the time for southeast to benefit, everyone remembers how educated we are and why the extra state will not benefit nigeria, and why it is not necessary for more Bureacracy. Let us get back to full fedralism with great Autonomy. That will be the best solution, but until everyone wakes up at the same time which when judging from Nigeria/African time could be decades, let us make the zones equal by creating Another state in the southeast.
Or if we really want to show how serious we are, let merge states from other zones, decrease their councils, everyone gets 5 states like the southeast and nobody will complain. If you do this, then you'll know which people are the real hipocrites because no zone will ever allow that to happen.

(1) (Reply)

2011: Finally, Ibb Gets Home Support ! / Is The Nigerian National Assembly Above The Law? / El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.