Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,667 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:08 PM

What Tithe Really Means - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Tithe Really Means (9722 Views)

What Tithe Means To Me... / Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! / Do I Need To Pay Tithe Form My Gamble Wins? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Tithe Really Means by todak(m): 7:30pm On Apr 18, 2009
Tithe

What is Tithe?

Tithe means dedicated the first one-tenth of our income for support of God’s work in faith and love through righteousness. It is a command from God. It is the key to Open Heavens. It provides divine insurance against satanic encroachment
Lev 27:30, “And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD's: it is holy unto the LORD”

Deut 26:1-2, “And it shall be, when thou art come in unto the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance, and possessest it, and dwellest therein; That thou shalt take of the first of all the fruit of the earth, which thou shalt bring of thy land that the LORD thy God giveth thee, and shalt put it in a basket, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose to place his name there”
Mal 3:10-11. “Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts”

Tithing befor the Law

According to the bible, Abraham was first believer who paid Tithe
Gen 14:20 “And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all”

Heb 7:2-6 ‘To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually. Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils. And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham: But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.”

Rom 4:12, “And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised.”

Jacob also paid tithe. Gen 28:22. “And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee”

Tithing under the Law

All the tithe of the land, whether of produce of the land, or flock. are for the Lord.
Lev 27:30, “And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD's: it is holy unto the LORD”

Deut 14:23. “And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.”
Deut 16:17 “Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the LORD thy God which he hath given thee.”. Even tithing were obeyed during the reigns of Kings and prophets.
2Chr. 31:5-12. “And as soon as the commandment came abroad, the children of Israel brought in abundance the firstfruits of corn, wine, and oil, and honey, and of all the increase of the field; and the tithe of all things brought they in abundantly. And concerning the children of Israel and Judah, that dwelt in the cities of Judah, they also brought in the tithe of oxen and sheep, and the tithe of holy things which were consecrated unto the LORD their God, and laid them by heaps. In the third month they began to lay the foundation of the heaps, and finished them in the seventh month. And when Hezekiah and the princes came and saw the heaps, they blessed the LORD, and his people Israel. Then Hezekiah questioned with the priests and the Levites concerning the heaps. And Azariah the chief priest of the house of Zadok answered him, and said, Since the people began to bring the offerings into the house of the LORD, we have had enough to eat, and have left plenty: for the LORD hath blessed his people; and that which is left is this great store. Then Hezekiah commanded to prepare chambers in the house of the LORD; and they prepared them, And brought in the offerings and the tithes and the dedicated things faithfully: over which Cononiah the Levite was ruler, and Shimei his brother was the next.

Neh 10:37. “And that we should bring the firstfruits of our dough, and our offerings, and the fruit of all manner of trees, of wine and of oil, unto the priests, to the chambers of the house of our God; and the tithes of our ground unto the Levites, that the same Levites might have the tithes in all the cities of our tillage.”
Neh 13:10-14 “And I perceived that the portions of the Levites had not been given them: for the Levites and the singers, that did the work, were fled every one to his field. Then contended I with the rulers, and said, Why is the house of God forsaken? And I gathered them together, and set them in their place. Then brought all Judah the tithe of the corn and the new wine and the oil unto the treasuries. And I made treasurers over the treasuries, Shelemiah the priest, and Zadok the scribe, and of the Levites, Pedaiah: and next to them was Hanan the son of Zaccur, the son of Mattaniah: for they were counted faithful, and their office was to distribute unto their brethren. Remember me, O my God, concerning this, and wipe not out my good deeds that I have done for the house of my God, and for the offices thereof.”
,Mal. 3:7-12 “Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return? Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation. Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts. And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.

Tithe in the New Testament

This is the hot area, where many doubted the paying of Tithe, but I want us know Jesus spoke about Tithe . Matt 23:23. “Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.”
Lk 18:9-12. “And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.”

What is God’s purpose for Tithing

This is another area where people get it wrong, some believe it not supposed to be paid at all, some it should be free will not a certain amount, and others it should be paid at a pleasure. Now take a look at what my answer are:
1. For supporting of Ministers of God, Tithe were for the Levites and our Pastors are the Levites of Today.
Num 18:24-26. “But the tithes of the children of Israel, which they offer as an heave offering unto the LORD, I have given to the Levites to inherit: therefore I have said unto them, Among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance. And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up an heave offering of it for the LORD, even a tenth part of the tithe”
Deut 14:27-28. “And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee. At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates”
Neh 10:37-38. “And that we should bring the firstfruits of our dough, and our offerings, and the fruit of all manner of trees, of wine and of oil, unto the priests, to the chambers of the house of our God; and the tithes of our ground unto the Levites, that the same Levites might have the tithes in all the cities of our tillage. And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites take tithes: and the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God, to the chambers, into the treasure house.”
1Cor 9:7-18. “Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock? Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also? For it is written in the law of Moses, thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen? Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope. If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things? If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ. Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel. But I have used none of these things: neither have I written these things, that it should be so done unto me: for it were better for me to die, than that any man should make my glorying void. For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel! For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me. What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel.”

2 That house of God will not be in want. Mal 3:10 “Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.”
3 Supporting the orphans and the Poor. Deut 26:12-14 “When thou hast made an end of tithing all the tithes of thine increase the third year, which is the year of tithing, and hast given it unto the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat within thy gates, and be filled; Then thou shalt say before the LORD thy God, I have brought away the hallowed things out of mine house, and also have given them unto the Levite, and unto the stranger, to the fatherless, and to the widow, according to all thy commandments which thou hast commanded me: I have not transgressed thy commandments, neither have I forgotten them. I have not eaten thereof in my mourning, neither have I taken away ought thereof for any unclean use, nor given ought thereof for the dead: but I have hearkened to the voice of the LORD my God, and have done according to all that thou hast commanded me”
Rom 15:25-26. “But now I go unto Jerusalem to minister unto the saints. For it hath pleased them of Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor saints which are at Jerusalem.”
4 For spreading the Gospel Act 11:29. “Then the disciples, every man according to his ability, determined to send relief unto the brethren which dwelt in Judaea”
Acts 24:17. “Now after many years I came to bring alms to my nation, and offerings”
These are the purposes of Tithe, It only takes a God-Fearing Pastor to obey, and that is why people are complaining of men of God demanding for tithe, it morally not right, but it is for the good of their congregation, but here I only refer to a Genuie Pastor, if you doubt the credibility of your pastor, then you have to take on your worries and I think this comes up because of lack of trust, which is not suppose to be, If you are attending a living Church, not money makers, and do not want your pastor to suffer, then you should pay your tithe in time and accurately.

Now I have studied that the FAQ about tithe, the most asked is what I will highlight and answer,
1. Is the Tithe not for those under the Law?
Payment of Tithes was practiced before the law. And so was gotten even the law was. Read Matt 23:23 “Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.”

2. Should I tithe gross or net?
Your Gross income is your real income, frankly it is gross not net, cos that is what you received and was officially recorded and since God never divided his blessing to certain people and later to other, why should you now, take away the house allowance and others, he gave it to you free, why would you not give to him back, or is 10% too much for God, remember, lay up your treasure where moth nor thieves can not destroy.
3. Could I tithe when I can afford it/?
Those who put God First will not be the last to be blessed,
4. Can I borrow my tithe and pay back?
It is not advisable, but if you do, you are going to pay back with 5% interest,
Lev 27:31 “And if a man will at all redeem ought of his tithes, he shall add thereto the fifth part thereof.”
5. How should I tithe as a business man?
The tithe should come out of the profit, not out of your capital.
6. Can I use my tithe to feed the poor?
The tithe is a secured property belonging to God, it does not even belong to you and therefore you can not determine its useage.
7. Can I give my tithe any where I find myself or to my favourite ministers or ministries?
Mal 3:10 “That there may be meat in my house”, the tithe belong to the place where you worship, where you are received as part of them, where you take you covering and receive spiritual food. You may say you attend many churches, but you should be identified with one, and that is where you tithe should go, but for instance if you traveled or you are not in your place of covering, you can pay it there if you see you can be tempted to touch, but if you can hold on, pay it at you place of worship.

Conclusion
Job 36:11 “If they obey and serve him, they shall spend their days in prosperity and their years in plenty.”
Re: What Tithe Really Means by bisiofgod(m): 5:11pm On Apr 20, 2009
god bless you.am blessed by this.god help my tithing ability.
Re: What Tithe Really Means by todak(m): 6:05pm On Apr 20, 2009
@bisiofgod

You should thank God, cos he has opened your inner eyes and your understanding to see the truth about tithe, may he uphold you. Many have been mislead about it and has rightly led them to hell, we need to take care of our pastors since the pray, intercede on our behalf, we should not only be mouthfully thankfull but givingly thankful. God bless you.
Re: What Tithe Really Means by samparian(m): 11:47am On Apr 21, 2009
Are you a pastor of which church?
Re: What Tithe Really Means by todak(m): 12:26pm On Apr 21, 2009
Being a pastor does not matter now, but facing the fact gotten from the bible is what matter, as you know tithing is a controvercial issue in christiandom. We all need to get it all clear not confused which is why i posted it. thnks
Re: What Tithe Really Means by KunleOshob(m): 1:03pm On Apr 21, 2009
Tithes as nothing to do with christianity, it was the greed of man that made some preachers twist the meaning of biblical tithing and introduce it to christianity 700 years after chirstianity started. You would find NO record of tithing amongst Jesus or his disciples. The early christian records in the epistles never had any record of tithing as well what they preached was free will offerings. It is evil, wicked andd sinful to manipulate the word of god to Justify this type of fraudulent tithes being solicited in churches today, any pastor that is not satified with the offerings being ngiven to him should go and work. And those who believe in compulsory tithing under the law should remember that they are cutting themselves away from the grace of christ (galatians 5:4). @Poster no matter how much you try to twist the scripture, tithing was never directed at christians in the bible and the type of tithing practised in biblical times(agricultural produce) is totally different from the fraudulent version(money/income) demanded by churches today. Also remember that deut14 22-29 says a tither should eat of his tithes with his family tongue
Re: What Tithe Really Means by Mashkov: 2:33pm On Apr 21, 2009
According to the scriptures - "Deut 26:12-14 “When thou hast made an end of tithing all the tithes of thine increase the third year, which is the year of tithing, and hast given it unto the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat within thy gates, and be filled".

Now you said in one of the FAQs that I can only give my tithe to the church where I worship and do not have the discretion to use it the way I want, which I believe contradicts the scripture dictate above.

Can you please throw more light on this as I believe in using it for other charitable means than gibving it to the church who in some cases mismanages it, though this does not really concern or bother me.
Re: What Tithe Really Means by KunleOshob(m): 3:20pm On Apr 21, 2009
I had originally decided to ignore this thread as i have done so much in the past to correct this errornous and greedy doctrine of tithing that is so popular in the pentecostal churches, however as a good christian i believe it is my duty to tell other christians the truth and set them free from this yoke of tithing placed on them by there pastors. hence i would just post a few scriptures that explains tithes well and leave the readers to their own understanding.

Deuteronomy 14:22-29:

The Giving of Tithes

22 “You must set aside a tithe of your crops—one-tenth of all the crops you harvest each year. 23 Bring this tithe to the designated place of worship—the place the Lord your God chooses for his name to be honored—and eat it there in his presence. This applies to your tithes of grain, new wine, olive oil, and the firstborn males of your flocks and herds. Doing this will teach you always to fear the Lord your God.

24 “Now when the Lord your God blesses you with a good harvest, the place of worship he chooses for his name to be honored might be too far for you to bring the tithe. 25 If so, you may sell the tithe portion of your crops and herds, put the money in a pouch, and go to the place the Lord your God has chosen. 26 When you arrive, you may use the money to buy any kind of food you want—cattle, sheep, goats, wine, or other alcoholic drink. Then feast there in the presence of the Lord your God and celebrate with your household. 27 And do not neglect the Levites in your town, for they will receive no allotment of land among you.

28 “At the end of every third year, bring the entire tithe of that year’s harvest and store it in the nearest town. 29 Give it to the Levites, who will receive no allotment of land among you, as well as to the foreigners living among you, the orphans, and the widows in your towns, so they can eat and be satisfied. Then the Lord your God will bless you in all your work.
Re: What Tithe Really Means by KunleOshob(m): 3:33pm On Apr 21, 2009
TITHING WAS ANULLED FOR CHRISTIANS cool

Hebrews 7:5-19:

5And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

6But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.

7And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better.

8And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.

9And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham.

10For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him.

11If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?

12For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

13For he of whom these things are spoken pertaineth to another tribe, of which no man gave attendance at the altar.

14For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.

15And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,

16Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.

17For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

18For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof. smiley

19For the[b] law made nothing perfect[/b], but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

Note: verse 18 specifically anulls the law/ commandment of tithing and went further to describe it as weak and unprofitable yet some greedy men whoclaim they are representing God still twist scripture to extort tithes from people honestly seeking God
Re: What Tithe Really Means by todak(m): 4:09pm On Apr 21, 2009
@Kunleoshob
Tithes as nothing to do with christianity, it was the greed of man that made some preachers twist the meaning of biblical tithing and introduce it to christianity 700 years after chirstianity started. You would find NO record of tithing amongst Jesus or his disciples. The early christian records in the epistles never had any record of tithing as well what they preached was free will offerings. It is evil, wicked andd sinful to manipulate the word of god to Justify this type of fraudulent tithes being solicited in churches today, any pastor that is not satified with the offerings being ngiven to him should go and work. And those who believe in compulsory tithing under the law should remember that they are cutting themselves away from the grace of christ (galatians 5:4). @Poster no matter how much you try to twist the scripture, tithing was never directed at christians in the bible and the type of tithing practised in biblical times(agricultural produce) is totally different from the fraudulent version(money/income) demanded by churches today. Also remember that deut14 22-29 says a tither should eat of his tithes with his family Tongue

When it has biblical backup?
Mal 3:10-11“Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts”
Matt 23:23.“Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.”
Lk 18:9-12. “And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.”

If it has nothing to do with the Christians, what do the christians believe in? and if you answer is the bible, where did the instruction of tithe came from in Mal 3:10-11, and remeber, Jesus did not come to destroy the Law, He came to fulfill the law, so you are only brainwashing your self and a selfish person, cos i see nothing bad in appreciating your pastor by giving a certain amount, someone who takes care of you spiritually. It is a shame, you only love your pastor with your mouth and not with your substance.[/color]
Re: What Tithe Really Means by KunleOshob(m): 4:29pm On Apr 21, 2009
Malachi 3:10 was not directed to christians but to jews. christianity did not exist then and the type of tithing the jews practised (eating of tithes in the house of God) is totally different from the fraudulent version introduced to churches today(ten percent of monthly income strictly meant for the church) . That apart several scriptures in the bible make it clear that christians are not under the law, if you are a christian that you claim to be, i am sue you should know that without me quoting scriptures for you. but if in doubt read romanns 10:4, and galatians chapter 3 & 5. A chrisitan who tries to justify himself by obeying the law is cutting himself away from the grace of christ galatians 5:4. i sincerely hope you don'y cut yourself away and lead others away by your manipulated scriptures on this thread.
Re: What Tithe Really Means by todak(m): 5:03pm On Apr 21, 2009
@Kunleoshob
Malachi 3:10 was not directed to christians but to jews. christianity did not exist then and the type of tithing the jews practised (eating of tithes in the house of God) is totally different from the fraudulent version introduced to churches today(ten percent of monthly income strictly meant for the church) . That apart several scriptures in the bible make it clear that christians are not under the law, if you are a christian that you claim to be, i am sue you should know that without me quoting scriptures for you. but if in doubt read romans 10:4, and galatians chapter 3 & 5. A chrisitan who tries to justify himself by obeying the law is cutting himself away from the grace of christ galatians 5:4. i sincerely hope you don'y cut yourself away and lead others away by your manipulated scriptures on this thread.

Hmmmmmmm, I think, you now really need answer my question now, though i have given a supposed answer.
1. what do the christians believe in?
You said manipulate. when i quoted right from the Bible, and for your information, Grace can only abide when you obey God, and if really you do not want to obey the law, The whole of the old testament should be abolished, isn't it?, there is a reason for it being included, or if it has no importance, it shouldn't be.
Re: What Tithe Really Means by Mashkov: 5:46pm On Apr 21, 2009
Todak,

Please respond to my enquiry.

Thanks.
Re: What Tithe Really Means by KunleOshob(m): 10:50am On Apr 22, 2009
todak:

Hmmmmmmm, I think, you now really need answer my question now, though i have given a supposed answer.
1. what do the christians believe in?
You said manipulate. when i quoted right from the Bible, and for your information, Grace can only abide when you obey God, and if really you do not want to obey the law, The whole of the old testament should be abolished, isn't it?, there is a reason for it being included, or if it has no importance, it shouldn't be.

What you fail to realize is that the bible was compiled by the early catholic church under the directive of a roman empire who influenced which books to be included in the bible for political reasons. The decision to include this old testament books in the bible was done by mere men and there is NO evidence or claim that they were divinely inspired to choose the books they did as they had to debate them and vote before agreeing which books to be included. I think as christian we should focus more on the teachings of Christ and the apostles as a lot of teachings in the old testament are jewish and not relevant to christianity which is a totally different belief syatem.
Re: What Tithe Really Means by KunleOshob(m): 10:51am On Apr 22, 2009
Mashkov:

Todak,

Please respond to my enquiry.

Thanks.

I don't think he would be able to else you make him contradict himself or further twist the scriptures.
Re: What Tithe Really Means by todak(m): 3:28pm On Apr 22, 2009
According to the scriptures - "Deut 26:12-14 “When thou hast made an end of tithing all the tithes of thine increase the third year, which is the year of tithing, and hast given it unto the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat within thy gates, and be filled".

Now you said in one of the FAQs that I can only give my tithe to the church where I worship and do not have the discretion to use it the way I want, which I believe contradicts the scripture dictate above.

Can you please throw more light on this as I believe in using it for other charitable means than gibving it to the church who in some cases mismanages it, though this does not really concern or bother me.

Well, I think the sripture speak well of itself, When thou hast made an end of tithing, when you have given to God that which belongs to him, it continues all the tithes of thine increase the third year, which is the year of tithing, and hast given it unto the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat within thy gates, and be filled"., that which belongs to the levite, the one you give to the orphans, widows and others are also tithe but they should not interfere with that of the levites, that they may eat within that which the Lord has blessed you with, so when you give in charity, it should not be an excuse to cater for you pastor.
@Kunleoshob
What you fail to realize is that the bible was compiled by the early catholic church under the directive of a roman empire who influenced which books to be included in the bible for political reasons. The decision to include this old testament books in the bible was done by mere men and there is NO evidence or claim that they were divinely inspired to choose the books they did as they had to debate them and vote before agreeing which books to be included. I think as christian we should focus more on the teachings of Christ and the apostles as a lot of teachings in the old testament are jewish and not relevant to christianity which is a totally different belief syatem.

Then i think it does not worth believing, cos my bible tells me all scripturewritten is the inspiration of God, not compiled by any catholic church or whereever, ok, the bible was before any catholic was, i wonder wher you get your story, you should have also said we should not believe any of the Old Testament prophets, or even quote from them, The old testament is The foundation and begining of God's work and also the foundation for the new testament, and if they are not relevant, the prophecies are nothing to write home about. you really need to prove your point. Mr. Kunle.

I don't think he would be able to else you make him contradict himself or further twist the scriptures.

Well, I see Mr. Kunle Twisting, displacing, contradicting and capsiding the bible here
Re: What Tithe Really Means by PastorAIO: 3:44pm On Apr 22, 2009
todak:

Well, I think the sripture speak well of itself, When thou hast made an end of tithing, when you have given to God that which belongs to him, it continues all the tithes of thine increase the third year, which is the year of tithing, and hast given it unto the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat within thy gates, and be filled"., that which belongs to the levite, the one you give to the orphans, widows and others are also tithe but they should not interfere with that of the levites, that they may eat within that which the Lord has blessed you with, so when you give in charity, it should not be an excuse to cater for you pastor.

LOL! not only does he butcher the bible but he butchers the English language too, in the process.
Re: What Tithe Really Means by todak(m): 4:03pm On Apr 22, 2009
Are you after the grammar or what it entails, you seems to be losst of word, and only want to change the topic cos you do not have a good remorse for spreading false in Christiandom. lets get back to business, Selfish Christian who can not appreciate his pastor in giving.
Re: What Tithe Really Means by KunleOshob(m): 4:29pm On Apr 22, 2009
@Todak
Your mis-interpretation and twisting of deut 26:12-14 is so appalling that i feel nauseated already. It beats my imagination how people are able to twist scripture like this, is there a school that they teach you this skills

To answer your other question, do you know the difference betweeen scripture and the bible? and do you know that your bible is a compilation of 66 books chosen and determined by the catholic church?( this is a historical fact and NOT subject to debate). You certainly don't know much about the bible but i would live you with what God as to say about scriptures in the book of Jeremiah, you might learn a thing or two there.

Jeremiah 8:8-10:

8 “‘How can you say, “We are wise because we have the word of the Lord,”
when your teachers have twisted it by writing lies?

9 These wise teachers will fall
into the trap of their own foolishness,
for they have rejected the word of the Lord.
Are they so wise after all?
10 I will give their wives to others
and their farms to strangers.
From the least to the greatest,
their lives are ruled by greed.
Yes, even my prophets and priests are like that.
They are all frauds.

Evidently a very glaring example of twisted scripture in mordern times is that of tithes which is totally different from the biblical tithes and the reason is same as given in the above passage greed resulting in fraud.
Re: What Tithe Really Means by Lady2(f): 4:59pm On Apr 22, 2009
I am confused here.

Are people relying on the OT when it suits them? Because generally the consensus amongst certain christians is that the OT laws were done with.
Re: What Tithe Really Means by Horus(m): 6:39pm On Apr 22, 2009
Tithes and tithing is a scam. Jesus never took from his congregation. He never passed around a basket or tray to receive pledges and donations at the end of each sermon. He never asked for a payment. Nor did he ever tell his disciples to accept money for their assistance as found in Matthew 10:8-10:
“Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give. Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses, nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat.”
Re: What Tithe Really Means by todak(m): 1:58pm On Apr 23, 2009
@ Kunleoshob
Your mis-interpretation and twisting of deut 26:12-14 is so appalling that i feel nauseated already. It beats my imagination how people are able to twist scripture like this, is there a school that they teach you this skills

Well, i think thats your opinion, cos you were not the one that asked me the question, and you know we are different with different opinions, different ways of seeing things and assimilative methods, But could also answer the question rather that saying rubbish to me or trying to cover up your lies by changing topic.

To answer your other question, do you know the difference betweeen scripture and the bible? and do you know that your bible is a compilation of 66 books chosen and determined by the catholic church?( this is a historical fact and NOT subject to debate). You certainly don't know much about the bible but i would live you with what God as to say about scriptures in the book of Jeremiah, you might learn a thing or two there.

Jeremiah 8:8-10:

8 “‘How can you say, “We are wise because we have the word of the Lord,”
when your teachers have twisted it by writing lies?
9 These wise teachers will fall
into the trap of their own foolishness,
for they have rejected the word of the Lord.
Are they so wise after all?
10 I will give their wives to others
and their farms to strangers.
From the least to the greatest,
their lives are ruled by greed.
Yes, even my prophets and priests are like that.
They are all frauds.

You suprised me, to hear you that you are a christian You a disgrace to the christiandom. The Catholics compiled and determined the bible, it is disgusting and a foothold by the muslims to capitalize on.
The earliest indications of the Old Testament canon come from the time of Ezra and Nehemiah and suggest that the process had begun during the Babylonian captivity (605-535 BC) with the Torah (the 1st 5 Books of the Bible). But the process was probably not complete until sometime in the 2nd Century BC. Deciding which books were to be included was done by senior priests based on general agreement that each book was authentic (written by the person identified as its author) and divinely inspired.

The New Testament had pretty much come together by 150AD but there continued to be discussion about a few books until about 400 AD. It was not officially canonized until the Council of Trent in the 1500’s. There were three basic criteria for inclusion.

1. Were the authors either eyewitnesses to the events they wrote about or at least directly taught about them by the Apostles?
2. Was each book’s teachings consistent with church practice and tradition?
3. Was each book already in general use by the church, and accepted as the Divine Word of God?

In both Old and New testaments, the books included had to be generally viewed as the work of divinely inspired writers who faithfully converted God’s Word into written form. (2 Peter 1:20-21).
Do any of these involve the Catholic or what ever you claimed determined the bible,
You could as well as said the catholic wrote the bible, cos there is a big relationship between compiling and determining a book as trustworthy as the bible. From what you have posted you are telling me that even the bible is not God's word. which contradicts the bible Psalm 12:6 [color=#006600]"The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in the furnance of earth, purified seven times."
, 2 Timothy 3:16 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine,, ", and since it was compiled and determined by the catholics, then it is not inspired by God. is that not what you are trying to say, maybe your bible was compiled by the catholics, but not mine. Well, Jesus said itall, many shall come in my name but by their fruit, ye shall know them. You have proven to me, and by your post, i now know who the real Kunleoshob is.[/color]

Evidently a very glaring example of twisted scripture in mordern times is that of tithes which is totally different from the biblical tithes and the reason is same as given in the above passage greed resulting in fraud.

Give me such examples with a specific verse telling where we should not pay tithe, cos i gave and analyse what it meant with biblical backup. give me yours.

@~Lady~
Are people relying on the OT when it suits them? Because generally the consensus amongst certain christians is that the OT laws were done with.

I wonder o, Jesus did not abolish the Law, he only fulfilled it.

@Horus
Tithes and tithing is a scam. Jesus never took from his congregation. He never passed around a basket or tray to receive pledges and donations at the end of each sermon. He never asked for a payment. Nor did he ever tell his disciples to accept money for their assistance as found in Matthew 10:8-10:
“Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give. Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses, nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat.”

Go and read the rest of your bible, check out Matt 23:23, Yes he never took from his congregation, did he condemn it also. Jesus do not need to take cos he is all-sufficient.
Tithe is not payment for sevices rendered by your pastor, it a way of appreciating.
Matt 10:8-10 was not refering to tithe, do you ever think that all that was taken from them would be needed, the shoes, the coat, staff and others. of course the needed all, but Jesus only wanted them to know that working for God is not rosy, it requires your full attention, you should not be distracted by what to eat, what to wear and others, and that to show that He is a great Provider, but he will use someone. those he will use are the people they preached to, who else would cater for them.
Re: What Tithe Really Means by KunleOshob(m): 2:31pm On Apr 23, 2009
@Todak
I asked you earlier if you knew the difference between what was refered to in the bible as scripture and the bible itself evidently you have no idea else you won't be rantling on like this. All the verses you quuoted mentioning the word scripture were writtend several hundreds of years before the bible was compiled, there fore it could not have been refering to thhe bible as we have it today, but i guess judging from your level of reasoning you can't comprehend that.

todak:

Give me such examples with a specific verse telling where we should not pay tithe, cos i gave and analyse what it meant with biblical backup. give me yours.

On the contrary you are the one who should give me one single passage(without twisting scripture) that directs CHRISTIANS to pay tithes. that apart you should also give me one single passage that defines tithes as 10% of income and that money can be used as tithes. Also explain to me if there are any the similarities between the fraudulent version of tithes being collected today and the biblically ordained one which we read the details of clearly in deuteronomy.
Re: What Tithe Really Means by ttalks(m): 2:39pm On Apr 23, 2009
@todak,

You just don't know.

Matthew 23:23 does not in anyway promote tithe paying. if you do honest bible study, u will see that it does not in any way promote it.

That verse itself clearly makes it clear that tithes are part of the law. Christians are not under the law.

You mention Matthew 5:17

If you view that verse in isolation, you will definitely have the limited view u have on it.

We are not under the law as Christians but under Grace.When u aren't under something(law),u are not subject to it or its tenets.

Christ fulfilling the law was just that; fulfilling it. He didn't abolish it; he only fulfilled it,put it at an end as a requirement for salvation, and established a new covenant as the new requirement for salvation.

The terms old and new speak volumes even without going into much deliberations.

Putting the law at an end does not mean it is destroyed or abolished. it simply means it is no longer required for our salvation.
But it is there for us to understand the pattern that led to our salvation; that's all it is as at now.
The new covenant has all that is necessary for us to live a proper life in Christ.
The old covenant/law is there for us to understand some things but not to be implemented in our lives.

An example(might not be good enough but shld help a bit):

A movie has two parts. You watch part one and it comes to an end.
You remove it from the player and put in part two.
As part one has come to an end and is removed from the player, does it mean it has been destroyed?
No.
But it is always there for one to view so as to understand the events in part two as regards how
they came about  grin
But it is no longer necessary for the completion of the story the movie is portraying.

Romans 10:4(KJV)
(4)  For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Romans 10:4(ISV)
(4)  For Christ is the culmination of the law as far as righteousness is concerned for everyone who believes.

Romans 10:4(CEV)
(4)  But Christ makes the Law no longer necessary for those who become acceptable to God by faith.

Galatians 5:18
(18)  But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Tithes are confirmed to be of the law(don't come up with Abraham and Jacob cos that has been explained times without number) and we as Christians are not under the law.

Romans 3:19
(19)  Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

The law of tithes is in relation for those who are under the law which we Christians aren't under.

You say tithing is a way to appreciate your spiritual leader/pastor. Fine, if that's what u feel go ahead and practice it but do not expect us all to flow with ur feelings or opinions.
Christians operate based on the truth in the bible,not opinions derived from it.

There are so many ways which people can appreciate pastors that do not have to be tithes.

Giving 10% according to the teachings of the law or based on the law is downright not Christian.
But giving 10%,more than 10% or less than 10% as a person willfully and freely decides at any point in time without any law backing it or expectation following it is purely Christian.
Re: What Tithe Really Means by KunleOshob(m): 3:04pm On Apr 23, 2009
As the good book says : people would always perish for lack of knowledge.
Re: What Tithe Really Means by todak(m): 1:41pm On Apr 24, 2009
@kunleoshob
Kunle i asked first, so give me the answer is asked thee, probably your teacher taught you to use question to answer question, or you do not know what to write. ok.

To all viewers
Well , i do not force people to take or accept my views, but then you can not force me to accept your views too, you have the right to your views but i am blessed when i bless my pastor, but there is one thing i know, The Foundation of the Lord standeth sure and the Lord knows those who are his. Good luck
Re: What Tithe Really Means by KunleOshob(m): 2:45pm On Apr 24, 2009
todak:

@kunleoshob
Kunle i asked first, so give me the answer is asked thee, probably your teacher taught you to use question to answer question, or you do not know what to write. ok.

To all viewers
Well , i do not force people to take or accept my views, but then you can not force me to accept your views too, you have the right to your views but i am blessed when i bless my pastor, but there is one thing i know, The Foundation of the Lord standeth sure and the Lord knows those who are his. Good luck

You ask me if there is any where in the bible were christians were asked not to pay tithe, in the first place is there any where in the bible christians were asked to pay tithe The issue of tithes does not even arise as far as true christianity is concerned so you question is not valid tongue

But to help your lack of knowledge of this issue of tithes i would refer to to clear scriptures which anulls the practise of tithes for christians;

Hebrews 7:5-19:

5And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

6But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.

7And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better.

8[b]And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.

9And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham. [/b]

10For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him.

11If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?

12For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

13For he of whom these things are spoken pertaineth to another tribe, of which no man gave attendance at the altar.

14For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.

15And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,

16Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.

17For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

18For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.

19For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

King James Version (KJV)

From the above passage you would see clearly that the law commanding tithing was set aside in verse 12, verse 16 described it as a carnal law, verse 18 anulls it and describes it as weak and unprofitable and verse 19 says it made nothing perfect. This is more than enough evidence that tithing as no place in christianity, i hope you now have enough evidence to realize your pastor has been swindling you all along. You should tell your pastor(that is if he is worthy of being one) that he should be content with whatever offerings you freely decide to give to him and if he is not maybe he should get a part time Job like Apostle paul recommended instead of sinning and twisting scripture to extort his gullible congregation.
Re: What Tithe Really Means by KunleOshob(m): 12:09pm On Apr 27, 2009
@Todak
Were are you? have you ran away having read the answer to your question. I hope you now know that tithing is not meant for christians and you would stop leading others out of the grace of christ.
Re: What Tithe Really Means by ud4u: 2:12pm On Apr 27, 2009
KunleOshob and his cohorts, I have some questions for you.

First and foremost, are there still Priests in this generation? And in your church, do you have a Priest or Pastor etc as you chose to call them?
If yes, they are the Livites of this generation, and if you don’t have any, then don’t pay your tithe.

Secondly, did you still read the old testament of the bible?
If yes, please discontinue reading them because they were written before Jesus Christ came and is under the Law.

Thirdly, have you ever sing Abraham blessings are mine before?

If yes, denounce it and ask God for forgiveness because Abraham is not your direct Father and you cannot inherit his blessings. As priest of these days are not Levites of the old, so it is applicable that the whole promises for the children of God in the Old Testament is not for you.

The last but not the least, is there any punishment for those that pay tithe?
If there is none, then leave people to appreciate their God in their tithe and offering. I can only avoid that which I know is sin before God, giving your tithe is not a sin, so what is the controversy all about. Even if the pastor are mismanaging it, is only God that will judge them, my own is that I have done my part by sowing in the Lords vineyard and have received my blessing. Because is more blessed to give than to receive.

I don’t know the denomination you are in, in my church; we have full time workers, and they are been paid, we have the poor in our mist and they are been taken care of, we open new branches all over the world and Pastors and Evangelist are been posted to such places all these things needs money. So there are many things to do with money in the house of God.

Remember righteousness is the key to the kingdom of God, so if you pay your tithe and do not live a righteous life, heaven is not sure for you. Because our good will cannot save us, rather is righteousness.
Re: What Tithe Really Means by KunleOshob(m): 2:43pm On Apr 27, 2009
ud4u:

KunleOshob and his cohorts, I have some questions for you.

First and foremost, are there still Priests in this generation? And in your church, do you have a Priest or Pastor etc as you chose to call them?
If yes, they are the Livites of this generation, and if you don’t have any, then don’t pay your tithe.

There were strict rules guarding levites and who could be a priest in those days and not just anyboby like we have in your pentecostal church could qualify. That aside the only reason why the levites were allowed to partake of the tithes was becos they were not allowed to own any property in the land of Israel. Therefore if your mordern day "levites" want to eat of the tithes, they must give up the right to own any property. That is apart from the fact that the levitical priest hood which included tithing has been anulled (hebrew7: 11,12 &18)

ud4u:

Thirdly, have you ever sing Abraham blessings are mine before?

If yes, denounce it and ask God for forgiveness because Abraham is not your direct Father and you cannot inherit his blessings. As priest of these days are not Levites of the old, so it is applicable that the whole promises for the children of God in the Old Testament is not for you.

Those who are claiming Abraham's blessings are only fooling themselves as they can NEVER have the same blessings as Abraham. Abraham's blessings are unique and would not be duplicated for any man. God made the father of several nations (Israelites, Arabs, palestinians e.t.c) none of you would ever become the father of one village so stop deluding yourselves. 

ud4u:

The last but not the least, is there any punishment for those that pay tithe?
Yes there is punishment for tithing, by accepting to tithe you are placing yourself under the devourer's(any time you are unable to tithe) curse also you are cutting yourself away from the grace of christ. Galatians 5:4:
4 For if you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law[tithe], you have been cut off from Christ! You have fallen away from God’s grace. those of us who don't tithe have the grace of God which is sufficient for us. We are not trying to "bribe God" with puny little inconsequencial, nonsensical and unrequired pitance called tithes.  tongue

ud4u:

If there is none, then leave people to appreciate their God in their tithe and offering. I can only avoid that which I know is sin before God, giving your tithe is not a sin, so what is the controversy all about. Even if the pastor are mismanaging it, is only God that will judge them, my own is that I have done my part by sowing in the Lords vineyard and have received my blessing. Because is more blessed to give than to receive.

I don’t know the denomination you are in, in my church; we have full time workers, and they are been paid, we have the poor in our mist and they are been taken care of, we open new branches all over the world and Pastors and Evangelist are been posted to such places all these things needs money. So there are many things to do with money in the house of God.

Remember righteousness is the key to the kingdom of God, so if you pay your tithe and do not live a righteous life, heaven is not sure for you. Because our good will cannot save us, rather is righteousness.

Let's even assume your church genuinely needs the money and they use it judiciously does that justify why a christian church which should always stand for the truth should deceive it's members into parting with their money(by twisting the bible meaning and use of tithes) whilst spreading a dangerous heresy which could cut off the church memebers from the grace of God.
Re: What Tithe Really Means by debosky(m): 2:48pm On Apr 27, 2009
KunleOshob:

Yes there is punishment for tithing, by accepting to tithe you are placing yourself under the devourer's(any time you are unable to tithe) curse also you are cutting yourself away from the grace of christ. Galatians 5:4:
4 For if you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law[tithe], you have been cut off from Christ! You have fallen away from God’s grace. those of us who don't tithe have the grace of God which is sufficient for us. We are not trying to "bribe God" with puny little inconsequencial, nonsensical and unrequired pitance called tithes. tongue

Again you twist the scriptures to support your distorted views on tithing. Genesis records that the priest of the Most High God blessed Abraham and he paid a tithe to him. This was outwith (before) the law and has no relationship to it - it was a faith based act and anyone can CHOOSE to do this as well. There was no devourer or compulsion related to Abraham's giving.

If you regard your giving as nonsensical, then that is your prerogative. My giving - be it tithes or whatever name I call it is significant in the eyes of God, as the woman who gave her all symbolised.
Re: What Tithe Really Means by KunleOshob(m): 3:04pm On Apr 27, 2009
@debosky
Most of our preachers preach tithe from malachi 3:8-10 and preach it as compulsary based on the law (which is what i am against) if they preach it as free will then i would not have a problem with it, My submission that those who tithe out of compulsion based on the law are cutting themselves out of grace according to galatians 5:4 still stands. The Abraham example you gave is not not valid as it has no semblance to the tithes being extorted from xtians today neither was anyone directed to follow abraham's example. if you choose to tithe purely out of free wil then you are in order but if you are tithing based on law then you are in grave danger of being cut off from christ. This is the truth all christians must know, pastors in their greed are not telling the whole truth about tithes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Faith Of Usain Bolt In 5 Tweets / Even Water Proves That Atheism Is False. / Life Is Very Hard Without God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 225
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.