Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,299 members, 7,867,791 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 01:15 AM

Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected (8794 Views)

Ruggedman Ft. Reminisce - 8 FIGURES [official Video] / Solo Rappers With 5 Or More Platinum Albums / Please Do You Know This Artist And The Title Of This Song? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by akinalabi(m): 2:50pm On Apr 21, 2009
An artiste sends a 100k copies to a marketer. The artiste
gets paid. The marketer calls the artiste 3 months later
for more copies. He sends another 100k.

And so on and so on.

Though not 100% accurate, you can get reliable figures
from these.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by Baro(m): 3:20pm On Apr 21, 2009
There can be figures with maybe 90% accuracy, but most of our artistes choose to inflate these figures . . . .they lie about it for hype and favourable ratings, mind you, this won't stop cos it works for them . . . .
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by Bawss1(m): 3:24pm On Apr 21, 2009
and somebody put this on the homepage?
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 3:41pm On Apr 21, 2009
~Sauron~:

5,000 tracks of music means shyte if they are not quality.
Apple iPods are more superior but i won't veer off tangent.

You really are a fool. How did you arrive at such conclusion with my musical collection? You really are obtuse dude. Again you made an irrelevant point. What all of these because you got pawned in another thread? How stupidly pathetic. Dude how old are you mentally? Based on you manner and style of posting you clearly have a lot of growing up to do.

What facts do you have to back this up? Or once again you pull these things out of your back side?

~Sauron~:

Rated one of the best does not make it the best.
Who dare compares Sony to Apple in the world of MP3/4 player??

So you accept Sony is one of the best? I rest my case. Wasting time to debate with you on something that is highly subjective will yield no result. Check out the reviews on the sonywalkman range and come back and talk to me, when you are enlightened.

~Sauron~:

It is difficult to have a debate with an ignorant person without names being called.
At least, endeavour to know what you are talking about before spewing hokum.

Yet another heap of applesauce!!

Write in a clear and concise manner.
T

You are the ignorant one here. I have remained civil with you so far, but clearly you really lack the intelligence to see that. So you call names and you feel better? Seriously you have a complex going on.

You know another weakness of yours is trying to pick on errors in a post. Jeez dude you are a Grade A person!

~Sauron~:

I am saying getting a billion naira upfront does not make any meaning if the overhead cost outweighs the upfront.
You are looking at figures, i am talking about net spend.
An artiste gets $10,000 and his overheads are $9,000. . . . . .What is the profit??

There are different kinds of artistes, hombre.
The ones who do owambe kinda music make more money via shows than CDs.
Besides, Naija artistes are just coming of age in putting their music outside Nigeria unlike in the 90s when the songs don't leave the shores.

Highly irrelevant!!!
Bouqui(the gospel artiste) just told the media she spent 3.5 million on making a single video in London.
That is the overhead i am talking about. No amount of upfront can match that.
THINK!!!!

What an ignorant person! No artist will put out a show at a lost. Period. This is business and as such, no one is in it to make a loss.

Naija artists make more money from shows than they make on cd. Denying this is denying a well known truth.

smiley

I have said this a few times now and I think it is time I stick to it. I am not engaging with you any more. Have a nice day and I mean that.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 3:43pm On Apr 21, 2009
Baro:

There can be figures with maybe 90% accuracy, but most of our artistes choose to inflate these figures . . . .they lie about it for hype and favourable ratings, mind you, this won't stop cos it works for them . . . .

It is one of my few gripes with those who claim to have gone platinum. It would be nice to have some true figures to back it up. That is what this thread is supposed to be about. smiley
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by Bawss1(m): 3:52pm On Apr 21, 2009
Yo ElRazur you are letting that Sour guy get to you now. Easy now bro cheesy
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by Sauron1: 4:02pm On Apr 21, 2009
ElRazur:

You really are a fool. How did you arrive at such conclusion with my musical collection? You really are obtuse dude. Again you made an irrelevant point. What all of these because you got pawned in another thread? How stupidly pathetic. Dude how old are you mentally? Based on you manner and style of posting you clearly have a lot of growing up to do.

U have the brain power of a pubic louse.
At this juncture, it is fair to say stupidity platelets run in your veins??
What a plonker. . . . . .U need a quick psych-evaluation cos you are losing it by the hour.
5,000 tracks of music files stolen on Limewire/Kazaa makes your collection quality?? U sound like a lobotomised ape.

What facts do you have to back this up? Or once again you pull these things out of your back side?

Who is this social reprobate with the mental power of an insect??
Do you reason before you type??

So you accept Sony is one of the best? I rest my case. Wasting time to debate with you on something that is highly subjective will yield no result. Check out the reviews on the sonywalkman range and come back and talk to me, when you are enlightened.

Sony is one of the best but they are not miles close to Apple as far as MP3/4 players are concerned.
No MP3 player made by Sony can compare to Apple's iPods. From Nano to Classics to iPod touch. . . . .Sony is crap compared to this range.

You are the ignorant one here. I have remained civil with you so far, but clearly you really lack the intelligence to see that. So you call names and you feel better? Seriously you have a complex going on.

Civil?? Since when has not being articulate equates to being civil??
Look at this half-witted leprechaun. U need some dosage of exposure.
From your core to your crust, u exude foolishness.

You know another weakness of yours is trying to pick on errors in a post. Jeez dude you are a Grade A person!

Picking out errors in your post is me showing how dim-witted you are!!
U are a witless apprentice and a bloody ignoramus.

What an ignorant person! No artist will put out a show at a lost. Period. This is business and as such, no one is in it to make a loss.
Naija artists make more money from shows than they make on cd. Denying this is denying a well known truth.

It seems you are being paid to be stupid on a forum.
Artistes put out shows at a loss and this is why many of em have been kept out of business.
Go and do more research on how artistes get broke and come back to me.
Sitting on the net and hurling piffle without substance won't do you any good.

I have said this a few times now and I think it is time I stick to it. I am not engaging with you any more. Have a nice day and I mean that.

U have said nothing.
To put out good shows, you must have good songs on the airwaves from good albums.
It is when these albums make the charts that consumers will think of inviting for shows.
You are putting the cart before the horse with your moronic stance.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by Bawss1(m): 4:09pm On Apr 21, 2009
o oh, Sour is running his mouth now; this thread has gone the way of most NL threads -a platform of insults. Funny thing is that it starts out as some sort of quasi-intellectual execise. Pity sad
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by rapjunkie(m): 4:10pm On Apr 21, 2009
They should rename this thread to:

'Sauron verses ELRazur Part 1: The fight to the death '

Thanks guys for keeping NL interesting
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 4:19pm On Apr 21, 2009
Bawss1:

o oh, Sour is running his mouth now; this thread has gone the way of most NL threads -a platform of insults. Funny thing is that it starts out as some sort of quasi-intellectual execise. Pity sad

Nah am out of it now. I am moving away from it. I made my point and no need letting it turn uglier. smiley

rapjunkie:

They should rename this thread to:

'Sauron verses ELRazur Part 1: The fight to the death '

Thanks guys for keeping NL interesting

smiley I am no longer getting involve with him on this one.

In fact, I will apologise to you guys for allowing it to come to this way. smiley
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ayobase(m): 4:23pm On Apr 21, 2009
Okay.
The most sensible
talk here is the up-front
and the overhead case.

What the hell!!!
Spending millions on a CD!!!
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by mayrho(m): 4:42pm On Apr 21, 2009
been wondering too?!!!!
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by cabali(m): 5:14pm On Apr 21, 2009
it is obvious there is noone yet on this thread that understand how the system works. So it is actually of no significance to explain it cos any attempt at that will get ignorant people arguing like girls.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by Nobody: 7:42pm On Apr 21, 2009
Close this thread already.
Who cares whether they sell 5 billion copies or not.
At the end of the day, we know the artistes that are performing well commercially!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 7:53pm On Apr 21, 2009
cabali:

it is obvious there is noone yet on this thread that understand how the system works. So it is actually of no significance to explain it cos any attempt at that will get ignorant people arguing like girls.

It will be good if you can post and explain it for the good of those who really want to know. Perhaps you can ignore anyone who you feel is ignorant and just wanting bickering. Just a thought.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by rapjunkie(m): 9:01pm On Apr 21, 2009
I wonder!! People are very quick to dismiss opinions when they don't have any  grin

@Atown

thanks for the thoughtful insight

@Cabali

cabali:

[b]it is obvious there is noone yet on this thread that understand how the system works. So it is actually of no significance to explain it [/b]cos any attempt at that will get ignorant people arguing like girls.

its good to see how ur mind actually works grin intelligent reasoning on full show wink

' . . . . no significance to explain it'

the words 'he is a dummy' suddenly rush to mind. . . . . . . . . . . grin
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by obinna5000(m): 9:04pm On Apr 21, 2009
In Nigeria, there is no central body responsible for the giving figures how many copies an album has sold. In the USA, the body responisble for this is the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). RIAA members consist of a large number of private corporate entities such as record labels and distributors, which the RIAA claims "create, manufacture and/or distribute approximately 85% of all legitimate sound recordings produced and sold in the United States".
As long as such a body does not exist, any artist can claim to say his/her album sold this millions or that millions.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by FBS: 6:54am On Apr 22, 2009
are they ever collected? wink
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by Nobody: 8:13am On Apr 22, 2009
IN NIGERIA MOST ARTISTE ARE INTO SOME SCAM BUSINESS ALL WHAT THEY DO IS TO RELEASE A WHACK ALBUM AND tell us they sold 1 Million copies

To Cover UP
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by cabali(m): 9:38am On Apr 22, 2009
rapjunkie:

I wonder!! People are very quick to dismiss opinions when they don't have any grin

@Atown

thanks for the thoughtful insight

@Cabali

its good to see how ur mind actually works grin intelligent reasoning on full show wink

' . . . . no significance to explain it'

the words 'he is a dummy' suddenly rush to mind. . . . . . . . . . . grin

It is because of people like you!

Those whose unintelligence knows no form of restrictriction and are just waiting for others to say something so they attack, call them names and all sort. You are one out of 3 reasons why this thread is a waste and should be locked already.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 9:44am On Apr 22, 2009
cabali:

It is because of people like you!

Those whose unintelligence knows no form of restrictriction and are just waiting for others to say something so they attack, call them names and all sort. You are one out of 3 reasons why this thread is a waste and should be locked already.

Hi there. smiley Please do not take this personal. In my opinion, you are in a way reinforcing his views. If you offered an explanation, it speaks volumes than resulting to bickering.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 9:45am On Apr 22, 2009
ActiveMan:

IN NIGERIA MOST ARTISTE ARE INTO SOME SCAM BUSINESS ALL WHAT THEY DO IS TO RELEASE A WHACK ALBUM AND tell us they sold 1 Million copies

To Cover UP

That is a strong claim to make. Do you have the proof? smiley
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by amaikama(m): 9:51am On Apr 22, 2009
@poster! i really don''t know about music but in films, the producer after producing a film brings it to the marketer and the come to an agreement where the marketer pays 50% of the production cost and sell the other %. the producer does not deal with one marketer, deal with alot of them in the industry. That when the film itself has been shown on cinema's and the producer migh have covered his expenses on producing the film.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 9:53am On Apr 22, 2009
amaikama:

@poster! i really don''t know about music but in films, the producer after producing a film brings it to the marketer and the come to an agreement where the marketer pays 50% of the production cost and sell the other %. the producer does not deal with one marketer, deal with alot of them in the industry. That when the film itself has been shown on cinema's and the producer migh have covered his expenses on producing the film.

Thanks for your input. smiley It gives an insight at least as to one side of the industry deals.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by cabali(m): 10:12am On Apr 22, 2009
ElRazur:

Hi there. smiley Please do not take this personal. In my opinion, you are in a way reinforcing his views. If you offered an explanation, it speaks volumes than resulting to bickering.

You would know a lot about that now wouldnt you??

I should contribute so that u and the junkie will attack like u did with sauron right?

Please stay off my case.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 10:27am On Apr 22, 2009
cabali:

I should contribute so that u and the junkie will attack like u did with sauron right?

Please stay off my case.

Yes I do. smiley In fact, I made an apology. Funny how you missed my apology. smiley

I never attacked sauron, if anything he was the one who called me names several times. And claims to be the most intelligent [A very common theme in his posts, just check his post around here]

I am not on your case, I merely stated the obvious. No point claiming you know something, but cant be bothered to explain. It comes off as you as good not knowing. smiley See instead of you offering what you know, you are instead side lining the issue and just posting what is irrelevant.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by rapjunkie(m): 10:38am On Apr 22, 2009
cabali:

Please stay off my case.

are you in love with me cabili? Why u dey mention my name anyhow? did you see me talk to sauron? have you read this thread?

if i see my name for your post again you go hear am
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by obinna5000(m): 12:08pm On Apr 22, 2009
As long as a central body for collecting sales is not there, the marketer or distributor will blame low album sales on piracy. Some of these marketers are also involved in the so-called piracy.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by cabali(m): 12:20pm On Apr 22, 2009
@ Elrazur, I get it. It's fine.

rapjunkie:

are you in love with me cabili? Why u dey mention my name anyhow? did you see me talk to sauron? have you read this thread?

if i see my name for your post again you go hear am

I said the junkie - thats english. I did not say rapjunkie so stop feeling important.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by cabali(m): 12:42pm On Apr 22, 2009
This has played before and earlier posts have shown I have taken precaution so the moderators would note (others wont understand what I mean but never mind). I will explain how it works, for the record. Any nitwit come at me on this will get it on. I know myself for that.

First of all when you hear Platinum in the global business it doe not mean 1million copies have reached the hands of customers, it only means it has been certified by Billboard magazine that the same amount of copies have been shipped and are at contact level for customers.

The same way if a nigerian artiste releases an album and it is bought by say Tjoe or Storm records, the marketer starts shipping copies to retailers and then in turn gets requests for more. At the time the marketer ships the batch that makes it a million copies to the retailers being at customers' contact level successfully then that chap has gone platinum.

Happy now?
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 1:00pm On Apr 22, 2009
There is nothing to be happy or sad about. smiley

In the UK, a certified platinum means 1million sales to consumer. Like I stated before, "shipping figures" are not allowed to be allocated as sales. For this, I gave the Sony example of the ps3 true figure sales.

You see from your explanation, what happens if an artist is certified platinum, but there is a possibility of him not attaining such sales. That is the flaw I see in what you are saying.

I personally felt you had inside information, hence why I wanted to know. smiley
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by obinna5000(m): 1:15pm On Apr 22, 2009
@cabali
So the Nigerian marketers can only give figures of the number of albums shipped or distributed but not the number that has been sold.

@ all
In the USA (RIAA),
Silver: 100,000 copies sold
Gold: 500,000 copies sold
Platinum: 1,000,000 copies sold
Multi-Platinum: 2,000,000+ copies sold (recertified at each million-unit interval)
Diamond: 10,000,000 copies sold

In The UK, British Phonographic Industry (BPI),
Silver: 60,000 copies sold
Gold: 100,000 copies sold
Platinum: 300,000 copies sold

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

VIDEO: Seyi Shay – Gimme Love Ft. Runtown / Dua Lipa – Training Season Mp3 | Free Audio Download / Johnny Drille - Believe Me (Official Music Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.