Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,817 members, 7,956,083 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 01:07 AM

Independence? What Independence Are We Celebrating? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Independence? What Independence Are We Celebrating? (359 Views)

People In Kaduna Celebrating The Return Of Buhari (Photos) / Sc Judgment: Are We Celebrating Justice Or Injustice / My Thoughts On Their Independence, Are They Really Independent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Independence? What Independence Are We Celebrating? by handie(m): 12:18pm On Oct 01, 2015
Ya'll celebrating independence. Well, it's your right. Nobody should wish me happy independence sha cause honestly, Nigeria is now more dependent upon the same people we supposedly are independent of than ever before and honestly, I believe we would have been better off under British rule. Get this, I'm not a white supremacist and I actually believe in the ability of the black man to do surpass expectations. But are we in a better condition now compared to 1960? Who would argue that we had our "independence" too early? Can the university of Ibadan now be compared to the University college Ibadan of the 60's? consider all the British achieved for us without our new found oil wealth. During our dependence, there was real fiscal federalism. Who can forget the groundnut pyramids of Kano and d palm oil production prowess of the South South and the cocoa production ability of the southwest or the leather production prowess of the north? Do u honestly believe we would have been this underdeveloped infrastructurally had the British still being in charge? Imagine Nigeria importing tomato paste, MATCHES and even TOOTHPICKS..... And u say we are independent? What sort of independence do we have when our leaders flock to foreign lands for treatment of common cold? We are independent and don't have an airways company. Yea we are independent but the bulk of our economy is reliant on foreign investors. Independence that the people we say we've grown to be independent of have to control our polity and regulate our conduct during elections. International cooperation? Yea, it's a global world but can we as an independent nation go and guide the US or UK in their elections? Or will the UK prime ministerial hopefuls or US presidential hopefuls come to Nigeria to debate or woo our leaders on how they're gonna conduct themselves if elected? Just imagine an independent nation going to beg another independent nation to help her in her internal affairs. I put it to u my fellow Nigerians that we ain't independent yet

(1) (Reply)

Between Tsetse Fly And Captured Slaves: Which Is Worse Hate Speech? / Why President Buhari Should Appoint Hon. Rotimi Makinde Minister – Olapade Oloro / JONATHAN: Shut Up, Ex-militants Tell clark

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.