Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,449 members, 7,819,660 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

Week 8 Premier League Predictions: BBC's Lawro V Former NFL Star Osi Umenyiora - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Week 8 Premier League Predictions: BBC's Lawro V Former NFL Star Osi Umenyiora (2102 Views)

Nigeria Professional Football League Table After Week 8 Sunday Games / Check Out Our Week 8 Premier League Matches Analysis / Osi Umenyiora Celebrates His 35th Birthday Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Week 8 Premier League Predictions: BBC's Lawro V Former NFL Star Osi Umenyiora by wildrose21(m): 7:49am On Oct 02, 2015
All kick-offs 15:00 BST unless otherwise stated

SATURDAY

Crystal Palace v West Brom (12:45 BST)

At the start of the year, when Tony Pulis took over at West Brom and Alan Pardew became Crystal Palace manager, it was the Baggies who I thought would really kick on.
It is the Eagles who have made the bigger improvement, though. They have won lots of games, especially away from home when they hit teams on the break.
Injuries cost West Brom - Pulis
But West Brom will not leave themselves open to counter-attacks and I can see them sitting in and keeping things very tight, even more so after losing to Everton on Monday having been 2-0 up.
Pulis laid the foundations for this Palace success and his main aim on his return to Selhurst Park will be to avoid being beaten.

Lawro's prediction: 1-1

Aston Villa v Stoke

Stoke got their first win of the season against Bournemouth last week, and I don't think there was ever any doubt that the Potters were going to improve.
I see that improvement continuing at Villa Park because Mark Hughes has got quality in his squad, and he has also got some scrappers.
The worry for Aston Villa manager Tim Sherwood is that he does not have enough of either.
Villa face fight to stay up - Sherwood
Aside from Rudy Gestede, none of their summer signings have caught the eye yet and there is no way you can tell me they look a better team than last year.
The reality of the situation is that they are in a relegation fight. Sherwood has admitted it, but some of their new players will be thinking "I didn't sign up for this".

Lawro's prediction: 1-2

Bournemouth v Watford

Callum Wilson's serious knee injury is a cruel blow for him and for Bournemouth after the superb start he has made to the season.
Wilson injury a massive blow - Howe
Defender Tyrone Mings and winger Max Gradel are also out long-term and those injuries are part of the reason this game has become much more important for the Cherries.
It is only the start of October but the outcome of this game could prove vital to who stays up in May.
Watford are another team who seem to be better away from home but I am backing Bournemouth to get the three points.

Lawro's prediction: 2-1

Man City v Newcastle

Manchester City's last-gasp win over Borussia Monchengladbach was a great result but it does not hide the fact they got away with another poor defensive display.
The wheels have come off a bit since their defeat by Juventus, when Vincent Kompany was injured. Considering City's vast resources, it is amazing that he is so badly missed.
This strikes me as a good game for City to have, however, because Newcastle have got problems too.
The Magpies were much better in their draw against Chelsea but I think Steve McClaren is right to tell his side's fans that there is going to be more pain before things improve significantly.

Lawro's prediction: 2-0

Norwich v Leicester

It will be interesting to see how Leicester react after their first defeat of the season, against Arsenal last week.
Norwich have been decent at home since they were turned over by Crystal Palace on the opening day.
I think they will tear into the Foxes, and I fancy them to beat them.

Sunderland v West Ham

From what I have seen so far this season, Sunderland are the worst team in the Premier League.
West Ham have been brilliant away from home, so you might think this will be a straightforward victory for the Hammers.
But football does not work like that, which is why we love it, and why I am going for a surprise result at the Stadium of Light.

Chelsea v Southampton (17:30 BST)

I was in Porto on Tuesday to see Chelsea lose in the Champions League and I actually thought their performance wasn't too bad.
Jose Mourinho blames 'ridiculous mistakes'
Diego Costa led the Blues line extremely well and caused a lot of problems for the two Porto centre-backs.
Costa will be badly missed at the weekend and Chelsea need the likes of Willian and Eden Hazard to step up in his absence and start to play.
It is the same with Pedro - everyone raved about him in his first game against West Brom but he has been nothing more than OK since then.
Because they are at home, and because Southampton are not back at the level they reached last season, I am going to go for a Chelsea win - but they need to show some more improvement.

SUNDAY

Everton v Liverpool (13:30 BST)

Everton are up in fifth place and have made a really good start to the season.
Win huge for Everton - Martinez
The funny thing is, I was at their first game of the season, at home to Watford, and all the fans were complaining about the lack of signings and how they played too much tippy-tappy football.
They are not moaning much at the moment, which just shows you how quickly things can change when results pick up.
Credit to Toffees boss Roberto Martinez because he has managed to find a way of playing with Arouna Kone and Romelu Lukaku together up front.
Everton are in better form, but this is a derby and that tends to go out of the window.
Whether I follow my heart or my head, it does not make much difference because they are such horrible games to predict.
I am going for a draw, which is a result Reds boss Brendan Rodgers will be happier with at the moment.

Arsenal v Man Utd (16:00 BST)

Manchester United are top of the league and lots of things are working well for Louis van Gaal at the moment.
Man Utd 2-1 Wolfsburg: We have to improve - Louis van Gaal
Their midfield is very good at shielding their defence and their combination at centre-back of a skilful player in Daley Blind and an out-and-out stopper in Chris Smalling is working well.
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger comes into this game on the back of making a big mistake by playing David Ospina in goal against Olympiakos instead of Petr Cech.
Wenger will come in for some serious stick if his side lose this game too, but I have a funny feeling that Arsenal will end up winning on Sunday - it would be typical of the Gunners if they do.

Swansea v Tottenham (16:00 BST)

With three league wins in a row, Tottenham are on a great run. With only one point from their last three league games, Swansea aren't.
Swans not up to scratch - Monk
Again I'm going to look beyond the form table here, because I think Swansea will improve sooner or later.
If the Welsh side are back on their game, Spurs will not see much of the ball - and being without the injured Son Heung-min will not help the visitors.
I am going for a draw, which would keep Tottenham ticking over and halt Swansea's slide.

Lawro was speaking to BBC Sport's Chris Bevan.

[url=]http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/34403907[/url]
Re: Week 8 Premier League Predictions: BBC's Lawro V Former NFL Star Osi Umenyiora by cnwokike(m): 8:11am On Oct 02, 2015
ok

(1) (Reply)

[VIDEO] Godin Gives Messi A Taste Of His Medicine With This Sumptuous Dribble / DSTV Insisted On SS5 To Show EPL Matches [Photo] / What Mayweather Goes Home With As The Winner Of The Match

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.