Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,678 members, 7,820,377 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:53 PM

How Did You Get Fuel Today? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Did You Get Fuel Today? (3297 Views)

Fuel Crisis Worsens As Motorists Struggle To Get Fuel In Abuja / When Are We Going To Get Fuel? / Abuja| Please Where Can I Get Fuel Today? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did You Get Fuel Today? by lwise(m): 4:13pm On Apr 20, 2009
This is another season of fuel scarcity.
The tanker drivers decide to punish the whole lagosian because of the
feud they have with LASMA on Friday.
How long with this last?
Whats your own experience,
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by Seun(m): 6:27pm On Apr 20, 2009
Are you sure? I haven't heard anything about fuel scarcity.
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by cvibe: 6:47pm On Apr 20, 2009
Seun, where are u residing not to have noticed?
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by kelao: 6:53pm On Apr 20, 2009
Fuel is 100 naira per liter now. 6:30 pm
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by moneygurl: 6:55pm On Apr 20, 2009
It is not only affecting lagos, it has started to spread to other states too.
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by roodest: 7:02pm On Apr 20, 2009
chai! my fellow nigerians,

when we go get sense now?!
when?!

na wa o!

delibrate shortage again?!

*hisses*
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by lagbaja(m): 7:04pm On Apr 20, 2009
i just bought 10 litres of petrol at 2000 here in surulere. Black Market shocked shocked shocked embarassed
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by droc(m): 7:22pm On Apr 20, 2009
It is quite unfortunate. The queues have been building up at gas stations for the past few days. Exactly, my friend! when will we begin to apply wisdom in this country?
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by teetoy(m): 7:28pm On Apr 20, 2009
We need to make sure this tanker drivers stop taking us for granted how i dont no but i know Fashola can figure something out.
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by MWorkers(m): 7:34pm On Apr 20, 2009
CVIBE. Seun may not know. He's in Ogun State. We are in Lagos.
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by Pataki: 7:37pm On Apr 20, 2009
Yeah a friend of mine told me this afternoon, as she had to leave the office right before closing hours. I looked for details online about the fuel scarcity, but could not lay hands on any details whatsoever.

When will Nigeria ever get out of this fuel scarcity conundrum?
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by niyidrums(m): 7:50pm On Apr 20, 2009
Na waoooo , over 2 weeks now we have been having fuel scarcity here in Abuja and up till now is still thesame thing. If u are opportuned to get to a filling station then the next u see is a cue of cars and bikes like the cues of hell,

please kindly pray for this nation

Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by blacksta(m): 7:58pm On Apr 20, 2009
instead make you revolt , u no revolt . suffering and smiling. We have petrol here o and their is no queue at local Tesco filling station.
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by labista(m): 8:28pm On Apr 20, 2009
Fuel is 100naira here in Uyo
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by Igwe9(m): 8:37pm On Apr 20, 2009
The price remains N65/litre in Abuja, but reports reaching us indicate that if a motorist wants more than 20litres, the fuel attendants would ask for bribe. smiley smiley
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by Jarus(m): 8:40pm On Apr 20, 2009
I just have to keep thanking the petrol attendant that hinted me of an imminent fuel scarcity early Saturday when I went to buy fuel at Mobil FS in Lekki.I met just a handful of cars at the station. I told him to put N1000 fuel into my car but he advised I buy more, that I may not get fuel this easily any time from now. I just told him to fill my tank and N2500 was enough. I was surprised to see very long queues later in the day, and by today, it had become very serious. Anyway, I had prepared for the rainy day. I have in my car now fuel that can last me for a week! I don't have any business with filling station at least in teh next one week.Thanks to the Mobil petrol attendant!
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by Jkcarz1: 9:05pm On Apr 20, 2009
This country is weird
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Apr 20, 2009
i still got my FUEL FOR 65Naira for here in IBADAN
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by otiokpo(m): 9:26pm On Apr 20, 2009
@ igwe. i agree with u that fuel still costs 65 naira but not in all parts of abj. i was in kuje yesterday and bought a litre for 85 naira. queues are every where in abuja just b cos of fuel. i go as far as abaji to get fuel from utako. i dont know wat dis country is turning into. i am just fed up and yet in the midst of dis fuel scarcity pdp held their covnention today.
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by oybv101: 9:32pm On Apr 20, 2009
after a thoroughly relaxed saturday, i decided to quickly pop out to buy petrol. i'd been postponing all day. imagine my shock when i got to the station and saw a queue! and a big one! since i had enough petrol to carry my gen over night, and it was a saturday, i simply hit the station at 6.45 the next day. i was lucky - the station was empty and i was able to fill all my jerrycans. as long as lastma and nupeng sort themselves out by thursady, i should be alright. otherwise. . .well i do work for a downstream company. . . cheesy
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by moneygurl: 9:50pm On Apr 20, 2009
Nigerian leader discusses fuel scarcity with Lagos governor

APA-Lagos, (Nigeria) Nigerian President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua and the Governor of Lagos State; Mr. Babatunde Fashola will meet Monday night to agree on how to resolve the cause of the lingering scarcity of petroleum products across the country.

Imported petrol is transferred by truck drivers from the Lagos sea port to other parts of the country, and because of an alleged problem between the Lagos government and the tanker drivers, there has been a disruption of the haulage.

The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Olusegun Adeniyi, told journalist about the planned meeting, adding that there was enough supply of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) to meet the demand. Adeniyi blamed the scarcity on “misunderstanding between tanker drivers and the Lagos State government,” and urged Nigerians not to panic over the situation. “The meeting with the Lagos Governor was on how the matter could be amicably resolved in the overall interest of the country.”

The President, he said, “at the weekend, met with the ministers of finance and petroleum as well as the group managing director of the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) on the fuel scarcity and he was assured that the nation currently has enough supply of PMS to meet demand.

http://www.apanews.net/apa.php?page=show_article_eng&id_article=96263

I guess the federal government has finally decided to listen to Lagos State and its complaints about this tank drivers taking over 2 lanes out of 3 and packing their tanks on bridges in the Apapa area. Even though the state has provided them with a garage to pack their trucks.
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by blackmann(m): 9:52pm On Apr 20, 2009
I believe what caused this crisis was the fact that some petrol tankers were siezed in ogere for discriminate parking(about 50 of them i heard). they were told to pay 3,000 naira each to release their tankers, but the tanker drivers refused and supported their colleagues by embarking on a strike. thats what i heard anyway.
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by jayJR(m): 10:13pm On Apr 20, 2009
@ Jarus----Being very frank here people like you are the main problem we have in this country as long as you can be out of situation it doesn`t matter to you any longer, no power then you`d say well thank God me I have a gen, no fuel now and oh thank God you have fuel abi?
thats selfishness the same thing that is killin this country and believe me u`d be about the same as those in Government "as long as I`m not affected" do you think of others?
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by md4real(m): 12:14am On Apr 21, 2009
all nigeria is facing is some punch of people holding us to ramsome by hoarding fuel despite the economic crunch that would have made the commodity cheap.
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by Nobody: 12:22am On Apr 21, 2009
Oooh! Gawd, Not again.
sad sad
For the simple fact dat Tanker drivers are havin a mere misundastnding dosnt warrant a strike, eh! Gosh. God Have Mercy
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by spikytang(m): 1:23am On Apr 21, 2009
I never took this stuff seriously until this evening when i went to buy petrol to power my Gen set, i was really surprised, One young man offered to sell me 10 litres for 2,000, something i buy for 650 + 50 = 700, Na wah ooo!!!!
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by moneygurl: 3:54am On Apr 21, 2009
The long queues yet again

WHEN petroleum tanker drivers went on strike over the weekend, a Lagosian, George Afolabi, who said he saw when it all began, told The Guardian he knew that was what would happen.

He said he was about to leave his office close to the Toyota area of Oshodi-Apapa Expressway on Friday, when officials of Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) were confronted by the members of Petroleum Tanker Drivers (PTD) wing of National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG).

The LASTMA officials had gone to seize fuel tankers the drivers had packed illegally along the service lane.

"When I heard they were on strike, I was not surprised. That has been their response to any measure taken by government to curb their excesses.

"We know, petroleum is important to us all, but that does not mean tanker drivers should disregard regulations at will and at the slightest excuse, cause hardship on their fellow citizens."

The hardship Afolabi referred to, was the effect of the strike, which has brought long queues at a few fuel stations that had any to sell and the many empty ones under lock and key.

It has also meant long waits at bus stops for commuters who are also forced to pay fares much higher than before the strike.

The scarcity bit harder yesterday, the first working day, leaving many passengers stranded at the various bus stops as very few vehicles plied the roads, as more commuter buses were in the queue at the various filling stations in the metropolis.

Lamenting how difficult it was to get fuel yesterday, a commercial bus driver, Jamiu Ishola who plies Ketu to Yaba along Ikorodu Expressway, said: "It was only the Total Filling Stations at Fadeyi and Ojota that sold fuel along the entire length of Ikorodu Road.

The queue was so long I spent five hours before I could get fuel.

The attendants even began to ration it to ensure everybody got some."

Along Ebute Metta end of Herbert Macaulay Road, the Mobil and Total stations had fuel while others including Oando did not sell.

The strike led to a hike in transport fares of between 50 and 100 percent.

The fare from Egbeda to Ikeja and Oshodi rose to N200:00 from N100 while Ikotun to Oshodi climbed to N180 from N100

A commuter, Precious Abbey, who was going to Ikeja lamented that this was "one strike too many and a deliberate attempt to hold government to ransom.

"If LASTMA impounded some tankers, something must have caused it. Petroleum tanker drivers are behaving like spoilt brats.

If they were reasonable, they ought to have considered the effect of their action on the public."

Another Lagosian, Bayo Abodunrin, dismissed the strike by the tanker drivers as " blackmail since they want to force the government to bow to their inordinate wish to park wherever they like and obstruct traffic.

"They have not gone on any negotiation or at worst sought any redress or call for public intervention. Yes they own their vehicles but it must be clear to them that there are regulations binding what they can do. The state is bigger than any association. My suggestion is that Governor Babatunde Fashola should start looking for alternative rather than bowing to their cheap blackmail".

Also, fuel hawkers have re-appeared on the roadsides and a operating a thriving black market in which four litres of petrol sell at N1,000.00.

They are seen with various sizes of jerry cans running after motorists along Airport Road, Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, Ikeja-Dopemu Road, Ejigbo-Isolo Road as well as Badagry Expressway.

While also condemning the strike and the suffering it has brought to people, an employee of a company along Apapa-Oshodi Expressway, Friday Alo, noted, "if the strike is related to the impounding of tankers blocking the expressway between Toyota and Five Star Bus Stop, then PTD has no case.

"Two weeks ago or thereabouts, the entire expressway was blocked by those tankers for several hours. I also want to add that the threat to lives on the road by indiscriminate parking by tankers drivers and most often the way they abandon the vehicles anytime they breakdown on the road is worrisome. The tanker drivers cannot operate outside the law." he said.

In his reaction the Lagos State Commissioner for Transportation, Prof. Bamidele Badejo described the strike as a cheap blackmail which the tanker drivers may have deliberately embarked on to destabilize the administration and punish innocent citizens of the state.

He said only 27 tankers were impounded by LASTMA and not 50 as claimed by the drivers. "The impounding did not just happen.

We had received several complaints by motorists and we did not hesitate to contact PTD.

"Another reason the strike could be described as cheap blackmail is because going by the agreement between the state government and NUPENG last year, they ought not to have embarked on strike without first seeking dialogue.

"Part of the agreement was that NUPENG leadership will supervise its members to ensure compliance with all traffic laws at all loading areas and highways and that in future, all industrial action will be referred to the government for dialogue before the action commences. They did not keep to this portion of the agreement".

The commissioner added that the agreement was signed by officials of NUPENG with the state government in December last year.

He, however, appealed to Lagosians to bear with government so that "the anomalies being perpetuated by a cabal that feels it can hold the state to ransom at any slightest opportunity, are resolved once and for all."

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/metro/article01/indexn2_html?pdate=210409&ptitle=The%20long%20queues%20yet%20again
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by oybv101: 6:28am On Apr 21, 2009
@ Jarus----Being very frank here people like you are the main problem we have in this country as long as you can be out of situation it doesn`t matter to you any longer, no power then you`d say well thank God me I have a gen, no fuel now and oh thank God you have fuel abi?
thats selfishness the same thing that is killin this country and believe me u`d be about the same as those in Government "as long as I`m not affected" do you think of others?

bad belle with a dash of idiocy thrown in. so he is to blame because he was lucky enough to get fuel. so those of us who have given up on nepa , water corporation and the police (borehole, generator, private security outfit) are to blame for the problems in nigeria?

what are you smoking? jarus and people like him are responsible for the face off between Lastma and Nupeng

bad belle na bad thing.
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by xxVictorxx(m): 7:35am On Apr 21, 2009
i brought 30litres for 4500 Nairq yesterday. Na Black market, lipsrsealed lipsrsealed wat is this country becomming angry
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by tkb417(m): 7:55am On Apr 21, 2009
This is another season of fuel scarcity.
The tanker drivers decide to punish the whole lagosian because of the
feud they have with LASMA on Friday.
How long with this last?
Whats your own experience,

the tanker drivers don kolo for this country.
the way they strike at will baffles me.
nyways, na 9ja we dey so no shakes
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by Skywalker5(m): 9:07am On Apr 21, 2009
Tanker Drivers again.

Please when are we going to wake up?

This assholes cants just be going on strike just because they have wahala with LASTMA now abi wetin cause am

Which law protects this guys from not sacking all the tanker drivers anything they misbehave.

who be thier Head self? angry angry angry angry
Re: How Did You Get Fuel Today? by Jarus(m): 9:19am On Apr 21, 2009
jayJR:

See this one. So I am the cause of the problem of Nigeria because I said I was immuned from this fuel problem, due to a petrol attendant's foresightedness.
Am I lastma or nupeng or tanker driver? Na wa for u o.

Anyway, the question says how did u get fuel, and I expaliened how I got mine. The poster never asks me about the way forward.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Can I Denounce My Nigerian Citizenship? / The Most Ignored Arm Of Our Government(things You Did'nt Know) / The Massive Real Estate Properties Of The Jonathans In Bayelsa.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.