Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,442 members, 7,836,772 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:30 PM

Threat Of Expulsion For Praying On Campus! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Threat Of Expulsion For Praying On Campus! (779 Views)

Photos: Nigerian Man Spotted Praying On His Knees In An Airplane / Is It Sinful To Deny Christ Under Threat Of Death? / Wiseman John In Service Today To Thank Members For Praying For Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Threat Of Expulsion For Praying On Campus! by Nobody: 7:56pm On Apr 20, 2009
Expulsion Threatened Over Prayer for Sick Teacher

[size=13pt]The case was prompted by an incident just before Christmas in 2007 in which the students went to deliver a Christmas gift to a professor.
"Kandy found the instructor alone in her shared office," according to Pacific Justice. "When the instructor indicated she was ill, Kandy offered to pray for her. The instructor bowed her head, and Kandy began to pray – until she was interrupted by another faculty member, Derek Piazza, who walked in and said, 'You can't be doing that in here!' Kandy quickly left and rejoined her friend and fellow student, Ojoma Omaga. Piazza followed Kandy outside and repeated his rebuke."
While the students reported they were surprised by the teacher's aggressive behavior, they were stunned when, days later, they both got letters notifying them of the college's retroactive "intent to suspend" plan.
The letters, however, provided no facts on which to make such a threat, listing only vague references to "disruptive or insulting behavior" and "willful disobedience."[/size]

Read the full story here

Atheism . . . is not the "mild" rejection of belief in God. It is slowly but surely morphing into a militia-like persecution of CHRISTIANS (trust me Prof Piazza would NEVER have dared raise an objection if it were muslims) . . . the end is near.
Re: Threat Of Expulsion For Praying On Campus! by toshmann(m): 9:07pm On Apr 20, 2009
the end is really near, you cant pray in public schools, marriages are being re-defined, abortion is now normalcy. na wa o. islam is spreading in europe like wild fire. europe is scared sh-t by the rise of islam and the decline of xtainity. i tire o
Re: Threat Of Expulsion For Praying On Campus! by mazaje(m): 10:07pm On Apr 20, 2009
davidylan:

Expulsion Threatened Over Prayer for Sick Teacher

[size=13pt]The case was prompted by an incident just before Christmas in 2007 in which the students went to deliver a Christmas gift to a professor.
"Kandy found the instructor alone in her shared office," according to Pacific Justice. "When the instructor indicated she was ill, Kandy offered to pray for her. The instructor bowed her head, and Kandy began to pray – until she was interrupted by another faculty member, Derek Piazza, who walked in and said, 'You can't be doing that in here!' Kandy quickly left and rejoined her friend and fellow student, Ojoma Omaga. Piazza followed Kandy outside and repeated his rebuke."
While the students reported they were surprised by the teacher's aggressive behavior, they were stunned when, days later, they both got letters notifying them of the college's retroactive "intent to suspend" plan.
The letters, however, provided no facts on which to make such a threat, listing only vague references to "disruptive or insulting behavior" and "willful disobedience."[/size]

Read the full story here

Atheism . . . is not the "mild" rejection of belief in God. It is slowly but surely morphing into a militia-like persecution of CHRISTIANS (trust me Prof Piazza would NEVER have dared raise an objection if it were muslims) . . . the end is near.

bunch of goons. . .you guys forgot that there was a time when christians killed and maimed atheist for their own beliefs? now the table is gradually turning. . . deluded goons. . . .keep on whining, there was a time when George Bush senior said that he doesn't think that atheist should be considered as  real citizens of the united states and he said it when he was president. . . now that time has passed. no american president can ever make that kind of declaration ever again. . .democracy is what is keeping christianity in check in the developed world. . . imagine america being ruled by goons like pastor Robinson or the late Jerry farewell. . . . deluded fools keep on whining. . . . there is nothing that atheist will do that christians have not done before. . . . 

toshmann:

the end is really near, you cant pray in public schools, marriages are being re-defined, abortion is now normalcy. na wa o. islam is spreading in europe like wild fire. europe is scared sh-t by the rise of islam and the decline of xtainity. i tire o

deluded goons you have forgotten that jesus told some of his listeners that he will come during their life time and generation? what about paul the founder of the chrstians faith? he also thought that jesus was gong to come during his life time , keep waiting for the end deluded goons. . . .what is this myth that europeans are scared sh-t by the rise of islam? i live in europe and i can tell you that europe is becoming more secular on a daily basis, in fact europe is the place where people come to lose their faiths and beliefs in the ideas, imaginations and mythologies of ancient  jews, arabs, indains, chinese etc. europe is the place where people come to lose their faiths in religions. . . most atheist afrcans i know moslems and christians lost their faiths here in europe.  i know a lot of  moslems that became atheist after staying here in finland for some time. . . . .check out the council of ex muslims where is it located?
Re: Threat Of Expulsion For Praying On Campus! by Lady2(f): 10:20pm On Apr 20, 2009
You can only speak of democracy because Christianity introduced it. The reason you have freedom of belief is because Christianity introduced it. Make sure you are actually checking with credible historians and not someone who posts something on the web that agrees with you. Most credible historians today will tell you that Christianity is the reason you have freedom today.
Re: Threat Of Expulsion For Praying On Campus! by Lady2(f): 10:21pm On Apr 20, 2009
Anyway, Dave did that happen in the U.S?

Because those students can sue and WIN!!!
Re: Threat Of Expulsion For Praying On Campus! by Nobody: 10:22pm On Apr 20, 2009
~Lady~:

Anyway, Dave did that happen in the U.S?

Because those students can sue and WIN!!!

this was in the US and they are suing. They were on Fox and friends this morning.

the issue is not that they can sue and win but that it has now become acceptable to prohibit individual christian activities in public. This was not a student fellowship but just one student praying for another teacher (in his own office!) on consent! Very soon we'd be arrested for daring to hold a bible in public.
Re: Threat Of Expulsion For Praying On Campus! by bawomolo(m): 10:26pm On Apr 20, 2009

the problem with praying in public schools is what kind of prayer? a christian or buddhist or Hindu one etc.  It's just better to avoid a formal religious assembly.  and what does islam have to do with the end of the world?

I see nothing wrong with them praying for their professor
Re: Threat Of Expulsion For Praying On Campus! by mazaje(m): 10:27pm On Apr 20, 2009
~Lady~:

You can only speak of democracy because Christianity introduced it. The reason you have freedom of belief is because Christianity introduced it. Make sure you are actually checking with credible historians and not someone who posts something on the web that agrees with you. Most credible historians today will tell you that Christianity is the reason you have freedom today.

how did christanity introduce democracy? how did christianity introduce freedom of belief? who are the credible historians that say that christanity is the reason for freedom today? why is it that on the declaration of independence and democracy the first thing that the founders did was to declare the SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE?
Re: Threat Of Expulsion For Praying On Campus! by Nobody: 10:31pm On Apr 20, 2009
bawomolo:

[b]the problem with praying in public schools is what kind of prayer? [/b]a christian or buddhist or Hindu one etc.  It's just better to avoid a formal religious assembly.  and what does islam have to do with the end of the world?

That was not the purpose at all . . . christians are not interested in forcing everyone to say the Lord's prayer every morning . . . but that 2 individuals can be sanctioned for praying in their private office? Incredulous and frightening.

this had nothing to do with a formal religious assembly neither are we agitating for one. It would do you good to read the topic first before responding.
Re: Threat Of Expulsion For Praying On Campus! by mazaje(m): 10:44pm On Apr 20, 2009
davidylan:

That was not the purpose at all . . . christians are not interested in forcing everyone to say the Lord's prayer every morning . . . but that 2 individuals can be sanctioned for praying in their private office? Incredulous and frightening.

if christians had their way they will force everybody to say the lords prayer in american schools. . .
Re: Threat Of Expulsion For Praying On Campus! by bawomolo(m): 11:31pm On Apr 20, 2009
You can only speak of democracy because Christianity introduced it.

oh here we go. were the Greeks christian?

this had nothing to do with a formal religious assembly neither are we agitating for one. It would do you good to read the topic first before responding.

i read it, the school was harsh.
Re: Threat Of Expulsion For Praying On Campus! by mazaje(m): 11:59pm On Apr 20, 2009
bawomolo:

i wonder ohhh. . .
Re: Threat Of Expulsion For Praying On Campus! by sosisi(f): 12:04am On Apr 21, 2009
chi ching!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I see some people smiling to Wachovia and Bank of America
I hope they had powerful attorneys not some charge and bail lawyer that'll settle for chicken change
freedom of assembly,freedom of speech,freedom of religion
They are convered by the bill of rights
can someone say Amen!!
Re: Threat Of Expulsion For Praying On Campus! by Lady2(f): 12:27am On Apr 21, 2009
bawomolo:

the problem with praying in public schools is what kind of prayer? a christian or buddhist or Hindu one etc. It's just better to avoid a formal religious assembly. and what does islam have to do with the end of the world?

I don't know what the bolded has to do with the end of the world, but I do know that the rise of Islam and suppression of Christianity shows prejudice against Christians. No one dare speak to a muslim about praying in their office, infact they provide room for them to do so. I see this at my place of work.I work with abused children that have been taken away from their families and they have to be supervised at all times. The muslim man that worked here could easily leave the kids and go to pray, when I started working, I found it hard to pray, and just like him I have prayers to do at certain hours of the day, and it was almost impossible for me to do it. My coworkers are the ones that help to make sure I get to pray whenever I want to, and most of the time, I am praying while watching the kids, feeding them, and such.
Re: Threat Of Expulsion For Praying On Campus! by Nobody: 12:31am On Apr 21, 2009
Like Lady said . . . muslims get prayer rooms built for them, toilets are oriented in government offices so they dont face the direction of mecca, everyone bends over backwards to say the west isnt fighting islam . . . infact Bush shouted himself hoarse to tell us Islam was all about peace. When i carry my bible someone starts talking about "rights". Such a shame.
Re: Threat Of Expulsion For Praying On Campus! by tpia: 12:33am On Apr 21, 2009
Re: Threat Of Expulsion For Praying On Campus! by Lady2(f): 12:41am On Apr 21, 2009
mazaje:

how did christanity introduce democracy? how did christianity introduce freedom of belief? who are the credible historians that say that christanity is the reason for freedom today? why is it that on the declaration of independence and democracy the first thing that the founders did was to declare the SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE?

I will get a write up for you. Separation of Church and State wasn't at all to state that Church was interferring on the job of the govt. It was to protect the Church, unfortunately ppl didn't see that. The bias has been so against the church that ppl automatically think that the Church is the enemy when in fact it isn't. Most of the atrocious acts that were committed were not committed by hte church as the church never gave a command for such acts, but they were committed by those who were in govts and because there was no separation of church and state the acts were attributed to the church. It's funny how the same ppl who declared a separation of church and state believed in the Church, and permitted God to be in every aspect of our lives and also permitted prayer too, and created a constitution that mirrored the 10 commandments.

Christianity never imposed on anyone the Christian belief. Contrary to popular belief it never did. But I will provide you with the write up, and lastly Christianity built western civilization.

mazaje:

if christians had their way they will force everybody to say the lords prayer in american schools. . .

You know very well that this is a biased view.

On the onset they weren't however you wouldn't know of democracy had the christian monks not preserved it, the writings of the ancient ppls you know of today was preserved by christian monks, their culture and all were preserved by the monks. If Christianity was the evil, it would have destroyed everything instead of preserved it, and exposed it to the rest of the world. So yes you wouldn't know democracy today if it weren't for the christians.
Re: Threat Of Expulsion For Praying On Campus! by bawomolo(m): 1:26am On Apr 21, 2009
So yes you wouldn't know democracy today if it weren't for the christians.

so Greek texts were preserved during the dark ages huh?

the enlightenment era is all that needs to be said. the freedoms enjoyed today wouldn't exist if theocracies were still dominant.

(1) (Reply)

Can Anyone Help ? / 10 Plots Of Land At Magodo Isheri 08034276805 / The Comfortable Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.