Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,703 members, 7,831,195 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:24 PM

Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) (5711 Views)

20 Feared Killed As Nigerian Troops Arrest Shi’te Leader, Elzakzaky / Photos- Over 40 Feared Dead As Russian Cargo Plane Crashes In South Sudan / Militant Group Claims Responsibility For Delta Pipeline Explosion- PUNCH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by texazzpete(m): 1:34pm On Apr 23, 2009
georgecso:

[size=16pt]pls tell them. There is a very thing line between hope and despair[/size]

In the last pipeline explosion in lagos there were motorists and commercial bus drivers who parked their vehicles by the side of the road and ran off to fetch free petrol. In most cases the vicinity is controlled by touts that charge some money to allow access to the spill site to fetch fuel. as Oyb said, the major motivational factor for these guys is not despair, but extreme greed.
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by georgecso(m): 3:22pm On Apr 23, 2009
In most cases the vicinity is controlled by touts that charge some money to allow access to the spill site to fetch fuel. as Oyb said, the major motivational factor for these guys is not despair, but extreme greed.

[size=16pt]Why would somebody wakes up one day and becomes a tout?
Why are we not touts? We are not simply because by chance we have something/work doing. In the absence of this rare chance, probable we would have been worse than them. For example if we're not lucky to be working, there is nothing like social security welfare or any vocational school can can keep our minds and body busy.

We all know that poverty cannot be eradicated but what we are saying here is that extreme poverty should be minimized. No attempt is been made to do this.

Please have you been opportune to travel to some interior villages in the North, West and the creeks of the Niger delta?

Do you know how many people die daily on road accidents in this country daily? Take a sit @ Abuja- Lokoja- Kaduna road.

Do you know how many pregnant women die everyday due to lack of good health care facilities and bad roads

Do you know how many people die of hunger in this country.

All these problems and other related ones never get to the attention of the media due poor statistics/records

The only Nigeria is exporting commodities we have is crude oil and young ladies. Nigeria have the highest number of prostitutes outside Africa. Go to Spain, Italy, UK etc and see them

You have never seen any. If you're ready we can take a tour so that u'll see yourself[/size]
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by ibedun: 4:29pm On Apr 23, 2009
georgecso

Where in the UK are the Nigerian prostitutes please George? Facts or 'themsay'?

Wow!! I have found most of your statements to be inaccurate, generic and frankly not credible.

Most of the accidents I have seen and those I have heard of are caused mostly by reckless driving - not so much the bad roads. Until we Nigerians use faculty to disect our problems rather than pent up emotions, accrued frustration, over generalisation (via poverty, corruption, bad government etc) and pre-judgement we would never begin to identify our problems. We have to many bad people in Nigeria and that includes you and me.
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by georgecso(m): 4:46pm On Apr 23, 2009
Whatever might be the cause of accidents in Nigeria 911 or any other emergency numbers don't work. If you manage to get through they 'll tell you NO PETROL.
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by Kobojunkie: 4:54pm On Apr 23, 2009
ibedun:

georgecso

Wow!! I have found most of your statements to be inaccurate, generic and frankly not credible.

Most of the accidents I have seen and those I have heard of are caused mostly by reckless driving - not so much the bad roads. Until we Nigerians use faculty to disect our problems rather than pent up emotions, accrued frustration, over generalisation (via poverty, corruption, bad government etc) and pre-judgement we would never begin to identify our problems. We have to many bad people in Nigeria and that includes you and me.

dude . . . Last year, Nigeria was high on the list of countries with highest accident rates. Bad roads remain a major part of the problem.
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by georgecso(m): 4:56pm On Apr 23, 2009

[size=16pt]In UK it takes 8mins to respond to any accident victim but you cannot find any ambulance on highway, what you see are police & security agency's vehicle.  
So them tell me am wrong about Italy and Spain. Simply because u're based in you are based in UK abi? Bros suggest ways on how to improve things in this country since u're not based here.[/size]
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by toxicguy: 5:41pm On Apr 23, 2009
roasted or barbecued, they got what they asked for. we can't keep blaming poverty for everyhting. there are many young kids at the go-slow market whose total capital is not more than 1000naira, but they still run up and down after cars under the scorching heat or heavy rain trying to make an honest buck, so why couldn't those suyas do the same. people are sleeping at stations to get a gallon of fuel and they are busy looting what should rightfully be at the stations. its total greed and nothing less. they want to ride flashy cars and have expensive phones and build mansions and be seen with sexy babes. why should i sympathise with a few crooks as the expense of millions spending their whole day and night trying to get petrol the legal way. those that play with fire shall one day be burnt by that same fire.
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by texazzpete(m): 5:50pm On Apr 23, 2009
@georgecso
Your cardinal error is that you assume that as soon as someone isn't under paid employment he MUST default to crime.
As someone said recently, those people selling recharge cards and Lacasera, are they not human beings too?

No country in the world can eradicate extreme poverty. It's impossble! But condoning crime because of extreme poverty is wrong. Anything that can bring harm to others is WRONG!!!

I guess this means you empathize with armed robbers too.
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by ikeyman00(m): 6:04pm On Apr 23, 2009
Why would somebody wakes up one day and becomes a tout?
Why are we not touts? We are not simply because by chance we have something/work doing. In the absence of this rare chance, probable we would have been worse than them. For example if we're not lucky to be working, there is nothing like social security welfare or any vocational school can can keep our minds and body busy.

We all know that poverty cannot be eradicated but what we are saying here is that extreme poverty should be minimized. No attempt is been made to do this.

Please have you been opportune to travel to some interior villages in the North, West and the creeks of the Niger delta?

Do you know how many people die daily on road accidents in this country daily? Take a sit @ Abuja- Lokoja- Kaduna road.

Do you know how many pregnant women die everyday due to lack of good health care facilities and bad roads

Do you know how many people die of hunger in this country.

All these problems and other related ones never get to the attention of the media due poor statistics/records

The only Nigeria is exporting commodities we have is crude oil and young ladies. Nigeria have the highest number of prostitutes outside Africa. Go to Spain, Italy, UK etc and see them

You have never seen any. If you're ready we can take a tour so that u'll see yourself

so how would anysensible slowpoke embark on kano-lagos rail way when the roads are killer machine

pregnant women nko via health care

aggressive moronssssssssssssssssssss!!
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by SapeleGuy: 7:54pm On Apr 23, 2009
Toxicguy - with a name like that you should know that petrochemicals don't only select those who alledgedly tampered with pipelines. The explosion also killed innocent bystanders. Show some compassion for your brothers and sisters.

We must stop casting the victims as vandals. A lot of people are missing the point. We all know that Health and Safety Inspections are not what they should be. Do you know the last time these pipelines were inspected? Do we know how long it takes these companies to fix leaks? In most instances, it takes them months and inspections simply don't take place.

Refineries have been allowed to rot due to neglect, so why do we think that pipelines will be treated any differently. Please learn to read between the lines and spot corporate propaganda. If you blame vandals, the companies don't have to invest in safety and we keep blaming each other whilst they count their extra profits

Why are we not campaigning for more investment in pipeline safety rather than blaming these people. It is possible to put in place systems that will stop the flow in the pipelines as soon as a leak is detected. How come these systems are not good enough for our country?

When you focus on vandalism you let these companies/govt of the hook. Lack of safety features and poverty are the two forces at work. We are not the only ones with pipelines, go figure.
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by RichyBlacK(m): 8:02pm On Apr 23, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Toxicguy - with a name like that you should know that petrochemicals don't only select those who alledgedly tampered with pipelines. The explosion also killed innocent bystanders. Show some compassion for your brothers and sisters.

We must stop casting the victims as vandals. A lot of people are missing the point. We all know that Health and Safety Inspections are not what they should be. Do you know the last time these pipelines were inspected? Do we know how long it takes these companies to fix leaks? In most instances, it takes them months and inspections simply don't take place.

Refineries have been allowed to rot due to neglect, so why do we think that pipelines will be treated any differently. Please learn to read between the lines and spot corporate propaganda. If you blame vandals, the companies don't have to invest in safety and we keep blaming each other whilst they count their extra profits

Why are we not campaigning for more investment in pipeline safety rather than blaming these people. It is possible to put in place systems that will stop the flow in the pipelines as soon as a leak is detected. How come these systems are not good enough for our country?

When you focus on vandalism you let these companies/govt of the hook. Lack of safety features and poverty are the two forces at work. We are not the only ones with pipelines, go figure.

This is a first class post!
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by ibedun: 10:04pm On Apr 23, 2009
What do you call 'innocent bystanders' congregating around or about a leaking gazoline pipeline - well SUYA like one of the contributors called them. Most pipelines are long term infrastructure like bridges and are made to last 60 - 100 years without the need for constant maintenance. Nigeria is the only country in the world where we have repeatedly experienced burst pipelines of this nature due SOLELY to vandalism. I lived at Ejigbo - well known for depots and network of NNPC pipelines. Believe me I know what I am talking about. I have no sympathy for both the vandalists and the moronic bystanders.

If this was the case of a petrol tanker falling over on the road and killing innocent people in the process then we have a true by-stander situation and the government would get my blame.

Georgecso, We all know our roads are bad and hazardous - that is something we are all aware of. For our own safety and that of other road users it is incombent on each of us to drive carefully which includes slowing down and driving at a speed appropriate to the condition of our roads. But No way Not Nigerian.

Look we the people are really the problem with Nigeria but of course government officials and politicians are the usual easy skapegoats.
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by blacksta(m): 10:08pm On Apr 23, 2009
ibedun:

What do you call 'innocent bystanders' congregating around or about a leaking gazoline pipeline - well SUYA like one of the contributors called them. Most pipelines are long term infrastructure like bridges and are made to last 60 - 100 years without the need for constant maintenance. Nigeria is the only country in the world where we have repeatedly experienced burst pipelines of this nature due SOLELY to vandalism. I lived at Ejigbo - well known for depots and network of NNPC pipelines. Believe me I know what I am talking about. I have no sympathy for both the vandalists and the moronic bystanders.

If this was the case of a petrol tanker falling over on the road and killing innocent people in the process then we have a true by-stander situation and the government would get my blame.

Georgecso, We all know our roads are bad and hazardous - that is something we are all aware of. For our own safety and that of other road users it is incombent on each of us to drive carefully which includes slowing down and driving at a speed appropriate to the condition of our roads. But No way Not Nigerian.

Look we the people are really the problem with Nigeria but of course government officials and politicians are the usual easy skapegoats.

u score 10 /10
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by SapeleGuy: 11:15pm On Apr 23, 2009
Ibedun - There is nothing in the original article that says the people who were killed were pipeline vandals. Remember 'afraid catch the reporter' and he asked the speed boat to turn back. People were 'observed' to be siphoning fuel from the report. who observed these people?. It is clear that our brave frontier busting journalist wrote this report from under liverpool bridge or so he says. In reality he probably didn't leave his office. This kind journalist no dey go warfront.

I agree with you, we are our own worst enemy because we don't care about one another.

Blacksta - If i remember correctly Thurrock has lots of oil depots and refineries, you wouldn't be too confident if safety wasn't a priority.
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by Lady2(f): 12:03am On Apr 24, 2009
@georgecso

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ppl1.jpg (3.11 KB, 128x77 )

Are those fire fighters I see in the pic?

hehehehe una say naija neva betta, abeg we get fire fighters o, Praise be to God, Alleluia.
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by toxicguy: 11:44am On Apr 24, 2009
SAPELEGUY-NOTHING LIKE INNOCENT BYSTANDERS. IF YOU SAW A LEAKING PIPE WITH HUNDREDS STRUGGLING TO GET THEIR SHARE OF THE LOOT, WOULD YOU GO THERE AND WATCH OR WOULD YOU KEEP YOUR DISTANCE, KNOWING FULLY WELL WHAT WILL MOST LIKELY HAPPEN? EVEN IF THERE'S A CROWD AT A PUMP STATION, STAY AWAY.
THOSE INNOCENT BYSTANDERS WERE THERE FOR A PURPOSE. NO ONE KNOWS BUT THEY THEMSELVES.
AND IF THE PIPELINES HAVE NOT BEEN INSPECTED FOR AWHILE, IT MEANS THEY'RE VERY FRAGILE AND AT BREAKING POINT. SO KEEP OFF.
WHI IS IT THAT WHEN THERE'S A ROBBERY CRIME SCENE, EVERYONE WILL RUN FOR THEIR LIVES, BUT WHEN THERE'S AN IMPENDING EXPLOSION, THEY'LL RUB TOWARDS IT?
THE ANSWER IS PLAIN SIMPLE: GREED.
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by Oxone(m): 6:11am On Apr 25, 2009
angryPipeline explosion now seem to be a normal occurence in Nigeria. Infact one could join the league of Adeboye, Oyedepo predicting fraud, collapsed building, pipeline explosion & whatnot. This is sad as all these should be a thing of the past but i guess people never learn. poverty has nothing to do with it cos i very well know that most paupers would gladly decline an offer of a billion naira to jump from a plane without a chute (this can be put in the same category). Lets hope this is the last of it. May God help us all sad
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by georgecso(m): 12:21pm On Apr 25, 2009
As someone said recently, those people selling recharge cards and Lacasera, are they not human beings too?

No country in the world can eradicate extreme poverty. It's impossble! But condoning crime because of extreme poverty is wrong. Anything that can bring harm to others is WRONG!!!

I guess this means you empathize with armed robbers too.

[size=14pt]Nobody is saying poverty should be eradicated haba!

Are we the only country with crude oil? Go to Dubai, Kuwait, Oman, Libya, Angola, Algeria etc Have u heard or come across any case a pipeline vandalization in any of these country? Please if there is kindly post them lets see. My focus is on the innocent lives we normally scarifies quarterly if not yearly and not armed robbers.

Nigeria is a major oil producing country in the world yet we cannot boost of any refinery that is working to serve even half of our domestic needs.
[/size]
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by hilli666(m): 6:00pm On Apr 27, 2009
No matter how inconceivably diffrent and dynamic our opposing viewpoints might be, We should always strive to maintain focus on the topic at hand. It is only human nature to be passionate about ones self belief and opinions, but it also take a certain degree of maturity and discipline to be open and tolerant to opposing view points. Granted Oil bunkering and siphoning is an adverse and direct correlation to poverty regardless, of what the statistics say. It don't require specialization in any field to understand the in-henrent relation ship between the two. All it take is common sense.
The consequences of such act (illegal Oil Siphoning) should be judicial reprimand, enforced by local law enforcement agencies and authorities. Not Instantaneous death by fire. No one deserve to die in such a horrific and gruesome manner. No one!
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by georgecso(m): 7:48am On Apr 28, 2009
Granted Oil bunkering and siphoning is an adverse and direct correlation to poverty regardless, of what the statistics say. It don't require specialization in any field to understand the in-henrent relation ship between the two. All it take is common sense.

I concur with you
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by jj201016: 9:31am On Apr 28, 2009
abeg make we no judge those ppl o,we wey we dey ok na God's grace o.poverty no good at all,i av experienced it b4 God intervene into my life.i nearly committed suicide. bros HUNGER no good. u think say na only igbo or cocaine dey make person craze?abeg hunger and poverty can make ur head insane.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens / Fbi Agents Arrive Abuja, Comb Police Headquarters / Ogun State Governorship Election- Results Of 13 (thirteen) Local Governments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.