Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,956 members, 7,817,809 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:08 PM

Ethiopian Man Builds His Own Plane After Being Rejected From Aviation Academy - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Ethiopian Man Builds His Own Plane After Being Rejected From Aviation Academy (1632 Views)

Man Builds An Aeroplane Model In Anambra State Using Scrap Materials. Photos / Nigerian Man Builds "Helicopter" In Oyo (photos) / 5-year-old Boy Builds His Dream Bicycle (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ethiopian Man Builds His Own Plane After Being Rejected From Aviation Academy by Tedassie(m): 5:35pm On Oct 04, 2015
Happy sunday folks,i came across this article;yeah...its something we can probably relate to one way or the other.Please read&be inspired
Re: Ethiopian Man Builds His Own Plane After Being Rejected From Aviation Academy by Tedassie(m): 5:39pm On Oct 04, 2015
Asmelash Zerefu is a 35-year-old Ethiopian who fell in love with airplanes at a very young age. After suffering countless of setbacks in his quest to become a pilot, Zerefu decides to make things happen his own way.
Dealing with rejection
The young man, who was a brilliant student, was not admitted to the Ethiopian Airlines Aviation Academy because he was too short. “I did not meet the height requirement. I was just one centimeter short.”he told the Telegraph. This rejection was a turning point for Zerefu as he decided to build his own airplane.
“That was the turning point. That was when I decided to build my own airplane in order to fulfil my lifelong dream of flight. This was in 2001.”

Continuous learning
Zerefu spent more than 10 years learning about aeronautics. He read countless of FAA maintenance books, spent hours on the internet and watched several YouTube videos. After 10 years of efforts, he finally started building his own airplane. The young man had the ambition to build Ethiopia’s first home-built aircraft. Zerefu sourced his components locally. He used an old Suzuki motorcycle to make his own landing gear and recycled the engine of a Volkswagen Beetle.
“I collected from garages and workshops, and Merkato – which is Africa’s largest market – in Addis Ababa. I used first and second-hand materials to build my aircraft.”[b/]
source
[b]A dream come true

Zerefu called his two-seat, open-tandem parasol light aircraft airplane K-750 A. The plane, that cost Zerefu about $7500, is designed to fly “slow and low.”
“I call it the K-570A. K representing my mother’s initial of her name, Kiros, and 570 signifying the number of days it took me to complete my aircraft. The A is for Aircraft.”

The process was not easy, but Zerefu persevered. He faced criticism from people and was confronted to financial hardship. On its maiden flight, the airplane had an accident.
“People surrounding me considered me mad, and it took many trials and errors to build it. Financial problems were another limitation in making my African aviation innovation possible. But despite those difficulties and obstacles I am close to fulfilling my dream.”
It took hard work to achieve success, but the sacrifice bore its fruit. In addition to building his own plane, Zerefu was offered a scholarship to the In Holland University of Applied Sciences in the Netherlands to study Aeronautical Engineering.
http://www.afrizap.com/en/ethiopian-airplane[img]
[/img]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ethiopian Man Builds His Own Plane After Being Rejected From Aviation Academy by Lobolintin(m): 6:00pm On Oct 04, 2015
Snoring
Re: Ethiopian Man Builds His Own Plane After Being Rejected From Aviation Academy by Tedassie(m): 6:04pm On Oct 04, 2015
Lobolintin:
Snoring
RIP sad
Re: Ethiopian Man Builds His Own Plane After Being Rejected From Aviation Academy by Nobody: 6:18pm On Oct 04, 2015
#See better person; #Nob nigeria students building cars wey nodey move since 2014#

1 Like

Re: Ethiopian Man Builds His Own Plane After Being Rejected From Aviation Academy by LastSurvivor: 12:04am On Oct 05, 2015
If u can dream it u can achieve it

2 Likes

Re: Ethiopian Man Builds His Own Plane After Being Rejected From Aviation Academy by Lobolintin(m): 3:33am On Oct 08, 2015
Tedassie:

RIP sad
Same to you
Re: Ethiopian Man Builds His Own Plane After Being Rejected From Aviation Academy by Tedassie(m): 12:35pm On Oct 11, 2015
Lobolintin:

Same to you
whatever
Re: Ethiopian Man Builds His Own Plane After Being Rejected From Aviation Academy by Warlord3000(m): 7:00pm On Oct 11, 2015
Not me and u in that thing.... Tufiakwa cheesy
Re: Ethiopian Man Builds His Own Plane After Being Rejected From Aviation Academy by Answerbank: 11:33am On Oct 12, 2015
As we can see, building a plane isn't same as building a flyable plane
Re: Ethiopian Man Builds His Own Plane After Being Rejected From Aviation Academy by Tedassie(m): 3:35am On Oct 13, 2015
Answerbank:
As we can see, building a plane isn't same as building a flyable plane
if u actually went through the article,it was stated that it's built to fly at low altitude,bros.
Re: Ethiopian Man Builds His Own Plane After Being Rejected From Aviation Academy by Tedassie(m): 3:37am On Oct 13, 2015
Warlord3000:
Not me and u in that thing.... Tufiakwa cheesy
lol
Re: Ethiopian Man Builds His Own Plane After Being Rejected From Aviation Academy by okeyley: 6:20am On Oct 13, 2015
success isn't the amount of time you failed

it isn't the amount of rejection u faced
it is the amount of determination u got in side

congrats bro....... you made Africa proud I am personally proud of you

1 Like

Re: Ethiopian Man Builds His Own Plane After Being Rejected From Aviation Academy by yemi4ui(m): 11:12pm On Oct 13, 2015
I'm totally impressed. Building an aircraft in this part of the world is nt a child's play. I will have the same courage to build mine.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Huge Crater (hole) Mysteriously Appears In Siberia / Air Umbrella Creates 'force Field' To Protect You From Rain / See The Sport Car Made By Federal Uni. Of Petroleum Resources.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.